Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

those templates you’d put over keyabors that had shortcuts etc

the one for wordperfect 5.1 function keys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I'm the pitched up voices to avoid a copyright strike

i mirrored the footage i did for a kpop remix (used the original video with some other clips spliced in) and managed to shave youtube's copyright lockdown to the video only not being availabe in russia. notbad

never awake
Apr 4, 2023

by vyelkin
it's 2023 and there is no easy way to share trimmed video on the internet

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

never awake posted:

it's 2023 and there is no easy way to share trimmed video on the internet

i like vocaroo a lot for sound, but yeah, video still sucks. MUST DRIVE ENGAGEMENT! SOCIAL MEDIA! #FYP!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

adcritic, a video site for engaging with your favorite ads

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The_Franz posted:

fax spam was also a very real thing. restaurants in particular would war dial business numbers looking for fax machines to spam menus to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUEmGoBEfr4

Woah, don't forget the schizophrenic rants that you would get too sometimes! Those were always a treat to pick up.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Volmarias posted:

Woah, don't forget the schizophrenic rants that you would get too sometimes! Those were always a treat to pick up.

i never got any of those; maybe that was actually the word of god and you've made a tremendous mistake

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

reading the lists of components and their prices in the ads at the back of Computer Currents and Microtimes to see what stuff cost
picking out my 486-dx2-80 mobo and proc based on the best price in the city and taking the bus to some random hole in the wall shop with stacks of sun faded generic keyboard boxes and spindles of CD-RWs in the window and asking at the counter for the good ram

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I remember when cd rw got so cheap at bb that you could actual make like a buck fifty when you bought 150 disc spindle and did all three of the rebates.

also just remembered rebates on computer parts at Best Buy.

also remembered rebates on computer parts.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

just remembered a thing: ms word docx files are actually ZIP files full of miserable XML. if you change the file extension from docx to zip you can open em up and idk really break them or something.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Pile Of Garbage posted:

just remembered a thing: ms word docx files are actually ZIP files full of miserable XML. if you change the file extension from docx to zip you can open em up and idk really break them or something.

lots of things are like this, especially game stuff

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

lots of things are like this, especially game stuff

i kinda like it. even outside of games it makes modding stuff pretty easy

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

im a big fan of things that are or pretend to be filesystems

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

xmodem vs. zmodem vs. kermit

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I left out ymodem because I never used it

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
resource forks :allears:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
oh man

downloading escape velocity mods on windows and being confused when they unzipped to zero byte files, and that you had to use a special program to unzip them so that the windows version of the game could read them

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
iirc the main reason NTFS supports Alternate Data Streams was to make Services for Macintosh work, it stores the resource forks as ADSes

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

.DS_Store

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
Bitrate peeling

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Corla Plankun posted:

i never got any of those; maybe that was actually the word of god and you've made a tremendous mistake

the latter part of this reads like a dril tweet and i had to check which thread i was in

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i've done that because it was faster to grab source images for projects lol

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Pile Of Garbage posted:

the file format for early DOS/Win3.x versions of excel was so poorly documented that eventually nobody understood it any more and MS had to reverse engineer their own software just to add backwards compatibility into the later versions.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sweevo posted:

the file format for early DOS/Win3.x versions of excel was so poorly documented that eventually nobody understood it any more and MS had to reverse engineer their own software just to add backwards compatibility into the later versions.

people who are shocked by this have never had to deal with maintaining binary formats before. Like of COURSE poo poo got lost over the years, why wouldnt it?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The SVG file format permits embedded bitmap images, I guess so you can like, put icons into a diagram or something, but lately we've come across images that are "converted" to svg by just slapping the SVG xml header in front. How very smart thanks folks that is super helpful.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol SVG is nuts

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

lol SVG is nuts

almost got support for raw sockets once

https://leonidasv.com/til-svg-specs-almost-got-raw-socket-support/

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

svg always had an extremely poorly defined domain, and i think just about everyone who worked on it realized it and abandoned it.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

:wth:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

does svg even exist anywhere outside wikipedia these days?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

svg always had an extremely poorly defined domain, and i think just about everyone who worked on it realized it and abandoned it.

Well for example all of the diagrams in google cloud's architecture papers are SVGs. This makes them editable with a vector editor, like Illustrator or Inkscape or something, and that's actually useful and it works well because maybe you want to modify a reference architecture for your own organization's deployment. I don't know if there's a better format for that that is also open source (is draw.io open source?) so it's still in use in some domains.

But if you give me a vector graphic and it's actually a bitmap image that you just plonked into an SVG, I just have to wonder why you did that. What were you accomplishing.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sweevo posted:

does svg even exist anywhere outside wikipedia these days?

it's used extensively for ui graphics and icons, easy to transform/recolor into different states and no need to have 1x 2x, etc. bitmap versions

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Leperflesh posted:

But if you give me a vector graphic and it's actually a bitmap image that you just plonked into an SVG, I just have to wonder why you did that. What were you accomplishing.

i think it's mainly so that you can apply css filters to them then. most people probably don't use them that way but they could

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it's *used* plenty, but it basically stalled out at basic svg 1.1, svg2 was in the works but has been stalled for a decade at this point. and i at least figure it is because the scope was super-strange. notably there was a lot of text wrapping/shaping stuff in 2, which is cool if you're doing design, but which i think winds up either monstrously complicated or making no sense for a lot of the writing systems of the world. kind of didn't make sense to put the effort into svg when css is kind of the place that genuinely needs that kind of attention.

fankey
Aug 31, 2001

the best thing about svg is that afiact no 2 rendering engines agree on how to display them. so customers complain that we aren't displaying them properly but chrome/illustrator/inkspace/firefox/affinity all render differently so who knows what's correct. in the spirit of the thread - i should download ghostscript to get yet another version.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the basic disagreement in web graphics that also spilled over into css is "content versus presentation" and the whole system was designed by people who think that's universally achievable [aka developers who learned a bit about typography and academics who never worked as designers]

honestly svg is good enough at what it does now, especially with css transformations available. it's an atomic, "here's a graphic" thing, sure it's saddled with a lot of cruft from both the people who wanted it to replace pdf and the people who wanted it to be a runtime for apps/games but the basic "here's a vector image" part works fine now which is nice because designers have been waiting for such a thing for decades

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it's fun to open an SVG where the text was converted to vectors instead of embedding a font, so you can't really edit the text haha that's great

note this also prevents translation! and blocks screen readers! fuckin great

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

it's fun to open an SVG where the text was converted to vectors instead of embedding a font, so you can't really edit the text haha that's great

this is why it's only really suitable for pictures, a svg is a rendered vector image not an original editable source

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

qirex posted:

honestly svg is good enough at what it does now, especially with css transformations available. it's an atomic, "here's a graphic" thing, sure it's saddled with a lot of cruft from both the people who wanted it to replace pdf and the people who wanted it to be a runtime for apps/games but the basic "here's a vector image" part works fine now which is nice because designers have been waiting for such a thing for decades

yep

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

svg is very good imo

my early career mostly orbited around vector graphics and I watched the SVG spec grow and grow. Obvy its a little much in some cases, and the two or three different animation frameworks dont help, but overall its pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

idk if anyone even has robust support for the SMIL stuff