Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zero VGS posted:

I've occasionally gotten sick from stationary roomscale stuff, usually from the IPD being hosed up like she said. She's right to shame the IPD ranges, they are still absolutely not inclusive enough.

The Quest Pro's IPD range is one of the broadest of modern headsets, comparable to the Vive and Vive Pro, and it's proper mechanical IPD rather than the Quest 2's. You're not gonna beat a 55-75mm range on a headset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If your partner tries VR for 5 minutes and is rolling around on the bathroom floor screaming for attention and talking about BDSM and post VR trauma it should be legal to mercy kill them

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Quest Pro's IPD range is one of the broadest of modern headsets, comparable to the Vive and Vive Pro, and it's proper mechanical IPD rather than the Quest 2's. You're not gonna beat a 55-75mm range on a headset.

I had the Quest Pro, it couldn't reach a low enough IPD because the bridge of my nose was spreading the eye cups apart. There's no resistance/notches/gearing on the adjustment, it just slides greasily. On top of it being the least comfortable of modern headsets.

Yes I'm a caveman.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zero VGS posted:

I had the Quest Pro, it couldn't reach a low enough IPD because the bridge of my nose was spreading the eye cups apart. There's no resistance/notches/gearing on the adjustment, it just slides greasily. On top of it being the least comfortable of modern headsets.

Yes I'm a caveman.

How tiny of a head do you have? Thats wild.

*I mean, I'm in the opposite camp, giant head so whatever*

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Uh, this person gave up on the room setup... they weren't even in VR. they were flipping out over the pass through images being fed to them.

I don't know about the quest or quest pro but does it do IPD adjustment first before room setup? It really seems like they just ignored something and then caused themselves a world of hurt.

Maybe they just happened to suffer a bout of vertigo at the same time as when they were trying on the headset, who knows!?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Poor blogger, dreamt of VR and died

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
In my line of work, I've put a couple hundred of people in VR. From children to geriatrics, from the inexperienced to VR experts. We always brief them, tell them that they are allowed to stop the experience at all times if they feel uncomfortable and we always keep a very close eye on them.

We've had some people who had vertigo who stopped midway, but generally speaking most had little to no issues with VR.

I'm wondering if the blogger has a form of epilepsy. There's a goon down in GIP who has epilepsy that's triggered by things you wouldn't immediately expect.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

quote:

I'm wondering if the blogger has a form of epilepsy.

Is 'completely making poo poo up' a common symptom of epilepsy?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh hey HL2 Episode 2 VR released today. That was fast!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

My tummy gets upset if I ride in the back seat of a car, why doesn’t GM provide a safe word to immediately stop the car and let me out?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

the absolute last thing vr needs right now is to be even more of a pain in the rear end to get into and out of

"don't worry about the motion sickness, just do the included ten minute guided breathing exercises after you're done playing" is an anti-sales pitch

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

explosivo posted:

Oh hey HL2 Episode 2 VR released today. That was fast!
Well hopefully that means Episode 3 is right around the corner...

:haw: :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wolrah posted:

Well hopefully that means Episode 3 is right around the corner...

:haw: :(

It's gotta be closer now due to Alyx at least!! :ohdear:

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Technically you play as freeman in VR with the crowbar already for ten seconds so that's like most of HL3 done anyway surely

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

If Valve didn't want to make a new HL3 until they felt certain the tech could impress, then well god drat Unreal 5 and AI stuff is going to be the only and last excuse they'll get

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy

LLSix posted:

Thanks for the tip. It is pretty great! What was your rating? I got an A but am only rank 608.

The monthly is pretty easy this time too. Double pistols and reinforced.

S+, 9th at the moment but I expect I'll drop back a bit towards the end of the month. I play an unreasonable amount of Pistol Whip though, 145 hours atm, I try and at least get the daily done every day.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A tennis game coming later this month to Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYwiESw73B8

Breachers is looking good if you are into R6 Siege
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoYph7Slg7Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlcCueZF0FM

Crime seems an arcade swashbuckling romp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwrdE0gb6GQ

Also, a classic SW game now on Quest, thanks to TeamBeef
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToM-wz3v-NU

50% off dlc of Puzzling Places, only for two days
https://www.reddit.com/r/PuzzlingPlaces/comments/12droi9/flash_sale_50_off_of_all_dlcs_todaytomorrow/

Another roguelike shooter, to be relased on May. clearly with a bit of inspiration on nuDoom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD8N6TD_DNg

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 7, 2023

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Turin Turambar posted:

Also, a classic SW game now on Quest, thanks to TeamBeef
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToM-wz3v-NU

I played this game and JKA so much in high school. I'm sure multiplayer is out of scope, but I hopefully I can at least run around in empty multiplayer maps in VR for a good nostalgia dose

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Shoefish posted:

S+, 9th at the moment but I expect I'll drop back a bit towards the end of the month. I play an unreasonable amount of Pistol Whip though, 145 hours atm, I try and at least get the daily done every day.

Woah. That's impressive!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The Long Drive just got an update that includes VR. No motion controls yet, though, you still have to use mouse and keyboard or a controller.

I haven't tried it yet. With how choppy the performance can be even in flatscreen mode and how easy it is to like, spin out or flip your car, I can imagine this one is only for the very strong VR stomachs. Although there is an external driving camera view, that may help.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I started Vertigo 2.

Graphically and artistically, it's very much the same game as Vertigo 1. I have the impression the dev focused on this time making a full fledged (I read it's 15-16 hours), varied adventure-shooter, instead of improving the graphics.

While playing, it struck me how the setting is actually very... Rick & Morty-ish. With very weird aliens from alternative universes (and sentient robots, also humans from other Earths, including the protagonist) thrown together thanks to a sci-fi trappings of story. Hell, from time to time it has also a bit of bizarre humor too (like the alien-door who wants a spray of milk).

But man, I wish the controls were better. I'm currently stuck on the first boss, which on its own is a difficulty spike, but the controls don't help. I died several times by teleporting by mistake while I just wanted to walk (misclick on the left thumbstick) and crouching down by mistake happens to me in around... half of all the firefights! I hate how crouching up/standing up works in this series. I checked the settings, and there is no way to turn off any of these two things.
Speaking of difficulty spikes too, it's a bit uneven in that regard. It isn't only the firs boss, before there is a fight where you have to hold up while a computer unlocks an area, and a dozen robots attack, that I needed almost 30 minutes in attempt to do it. :/

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 7, 2023

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Anybody have trouble with pistol whip on quest 2? It looks cool but some of the reviews mention new problems when it’s run through the quest 2

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Miguel Prado posted:

Anybody have trouble with pistol whip on quest 2? It looks cool but some of the reviews mention new problems when it’s run through the quest 2

I played 3 levels at lunch today and had no issues.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Another more in-depth look at the Bigscreen OLED headset:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx4Xw0Q0GFA

In particular he shows some pictures of game scenes as they're displayed through the lenses, and I gotta say that is some impressive clarity and resolution. While that particular one is too dang expensive for me to consider trying it, but I really do hope the overall concept of such a minimal form factor is gonna be taken further in the future.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
how do i download apks from sidequest? i don't want their stupid app

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You download the stupid app and install it. It handles the installation on the headset for you and it's an 85Mb download, so there's really no reason not to.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
well, the app doesn't seem to work on linux or it just doesn't detect my pico for whatever reason, so i still just want to download the apk

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What games are selling in Steam? As per this

Some comments

-We have new blood on the top 1 with Ghosts of Tabor. I understand it's a game in the vein of Escape from Tarkov, some somewhat Extraction PVPVE game. From what I read, it's right now very janky/buggy. But at least it seems they are updating it at a good pace, so who knows, maybe in half a year it will be good.

-VTOL is doing it very well given the simmy nature of the game. I still have to try it, but I expect to like it. They had a dlc some days ago with a two seat jet, ideal for coop with a mate.

-Gorilla Ta is doing it alright, given the initial complaints because the price (vs the f2p Quest version).

-Blade & Sorcery had an update too one or two weeks ago. The last one before the 'big 1.0 update', in theory.

-Vertigo 2 is a bit low on the list imo, people always complain of where are the "real" meaty games' in VR, instead of the arcade short games, and well, here it is, a fairly long FPS with lots of areas and enemies and twists. But I think before it was higher, it has 430 reviews already which is pretty good to do in just a week.

-People really like Bonelab uh. They didn't have a big update either in the last 4 months, they still have to release the SDK or whatever.

-Walking Dead Chapter 2 released on Steam in a better shape than the Quest version, but it doesn't matter, it seems people has fallen out of love with the series, already on the second iteration.

-Tactical Assault VR is a new 'tacticool' CQB milsim game, very indie graphically wise Terrorist Hunt game. Never heard of it before

-All in One Sports was in EA for a long time, it's now out with 1.0 version. 13 sport games in one. Best bang for buck? (lol). Alas, I can't vouch for the quality of each individual game. At least it's on offer, near $10 right now.

And on Quest? (from left to right, top to bottom, only paid games, otherwise, Gorilla Tag would be no. 1)

-B&S dominates the list, since time ago. It's strange how we all hear the success stories of other games (Beat Saber, Gorilla Tag, Job Simulator, Superhot) but at this point I'm pretty sure B&S has sold millions of copies too, and we haven't hear a peep

-Among Us was received tepidly at first, but it seems they have found their audience. They recently introduced custom lobbies with a long list of modifiers, to customize the game.

-Some of the games in that list surprise me, like Surgineer and Druken Bar Fight. I guess that's because the audience is younger on average.
That said Into the Radius is doing i well,, around 50% of the Steam reviews already (in many less months).

In App Lab (number of ratings in 24 hours):

The only thing worth mentioning is Ghost of Tabor, again, but I imagine it's the same but with even poorer graphics. The rest are f2p.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 8, 2023

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Turin Turambar posted:

-People really like Bonelab uh. They didn't have a big update either in the last 4 months, they still have to release the SDK or whatever.

This will be due to the recent release of the Bonelab Fusion multiplayer mod.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

What is "H3VR controls"? Because it has so many control schemes at this point that is hard to know what you refer to.
Sorry for digging up this from way, way back but I was away for a few weeks and whenever a thread gets more than a few hundred unread posts I tend to mentally tune it out, and I just skipped about 120 pages to catch back up. What I meant was just that, the option to select a movement mode among several that suits you.

Ideally each game shouldn't have to reinvent the wheel and movement should be handled by SteamVR (or equivalent on other platforms), with several modes to choose from.

I do agree that the new player experience in H3VR could use some polish.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Ghosts of tabor looks kinda fun I wonder if the quest version crossplays with the pcvr version

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Among Us plus discord servers to find adults is a really good time. After they added custom lobby options it’s in a great state, just needs new maps, which are coming. Highly recommend.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Ghosts of tabor looks kinda fun I wonder if the quest version crossplays with the pcvr version

A very quick Google search says it is.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Stopped playing VR Fishing for awhile.
Gave it a go tonight, and I must have hit the right level for it or have been real unlucky til now, but caught my first shark.
Startled me because I thought you could only catch them off a boat.
And instead of my regular 6in-12in fish I get this 126in monster.

https://i.imgur.com/1JYSFsF.mp4

A minor achievement but It was pretty exhilarating.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Vertigo 2 impressions

With 2/3 (almost 3/4?) of the game done, it's time to write about it. It's a game very much in the game on Vertigo 1, a single indie dev trying to do a 'Half Life-like' experience, but Vertigo 2 is better as it's longer and more varied. I really appreciate the latter, I really like when games that try to mix things up. In Vertigo 2 you go through a river of lava, you participate in a city battle helping communist robots, you are trapped in a giant whale, you fight archer centaurs in swampy areas, you have unexpected allies in your fight, you have a big Portal reference, you sail the open sea with a boat, or you have a creepy dark factory with mannequins everywhere, and more.

So, is Vertigo 2 worthy of the top scores I've seen in some places?
The short answer is: no. It's more a 7.5/10 game.
I think it's the type of game that a specific, older than average audience wants in VR (not a multiplayer game like lots of modern games, not a roguelike action game, not an arcade small experience, just a good traditional single player game with some meat on the bones). Because of it, I think some people are over praising it. Hell, I'm IN that audience. But that doesn't mean I can't recognize the weak parts of the game.

Because it's still an indie game, and you can appreciate a series of issues because of it.
-The graphics are a few years outdated (although thanks to that, it doesn't need a powerful computer)
-The entire art design, from character design to textures isn't very good. This is less forgivable than the previous point. Some of the weapon sounds are pretty weak, too.
-It's a bit buggy (I died twice by going through the floor and a third time respawning in a moving boat when loading a checkpoint)
-I feel the dev efforts has been spread too thin, so while at first it's impressive he did all these levels, you can see how some areas didn't have the user testing and iteration needed. The difficulty is uneven at places here and there, the controls of a vehicle you use briefly are pretty bad, some of the places you can't use the teleport doesn't make a lot of sense, and well, the typical jank you should expect from time to time.

But more importantly, I don't like some of the core aspects of the FPS experience:
-The writing. Decent in parts, but my issue is that the tone is all over the place, from attempts of telling a serious straightforward scifi tale, even with some gravitas, to totally silly parts.
-Health regen. I hate it in FPS, although I will give it a pass as you only regen up to 50% of your total health, and it isn't very fast. Still, I'd prefer to only use items to recover it.
-Ammo management. There is none. Ammo is infinite. I hate it. There is a small twist here in that while I said ammo in infinite, it needs a time for the magazines to regenerate, which in practical terms you can't use a single weapon in a long engagement, you need to swap between two weapons.
-Level design. Not bad, but honestly, it isn't very good. It's very linear (not that being linear is bad, but other better games still know how to disguise it better), there is little effort in making interesting side areas, or levels inter connected in interesting ways, or levels where you have to get several objectives letting you decide how to do it, or using hub level, etc.
-Exploration. Bad. As I said it's very linear, the game lots of times won't let you go back to explore other areas once reached a point (and you aren't warned in any way), and there are very few rewards for exploration, as there is no rare ammo pickups, only two items (health, grenades, the latter are kind of rare except for a single level), there isn't armor, or consumables like rebreathers or shields or anything useful like that, nor permanent upgrades for your character, with the exception of briefcases that upgrade your weapons. In fact the briefcases are basically the single reason to explore. Alas they are rare and lots of times I wasted time exploring some areas for nothing.
-Weapons balance. This is about a complaint about a specific weapon. At first the balance it's pretty good, but around the middle point of the game I got a ak-47 and man, why I would use any other weapon. It works both long and short range, the DPS is notably higher than the SMG with both rof and damage upgrades, and the magazines regenerate very fast.
-Encounter design. While there is a good variety of enemies, it doesn't particularly try to use them mixing them up in creative or novel ways. It's more 'here are some robots'. Later, 'here are some dinos'. Later 'here are some centaurs', etc.
edit: that said, the combat itself is more intense and dynamic than say, HL Alyx, with more enemies and they move around more, sometimes taking cover, others retreating, etc.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 9, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bought Drums Rock on PSVR2, and it is extremely fun. On top of being the work out that i was hoping it would be.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Anyone tried Gambit yet? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1736120/Gambit/

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Not personally, but from the reviews it's a hard skip.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Pulled out my break headset for the first time in a year. Played some half life 2 in VR and had a pretty good time. Putting the headset away again for another year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Turin Turambar posted:

-Health regen. I hate it in FPS, although I will give it a pass as you only regen up to 50% of your total health, and it isn't very fast. Still, I'd prefer to only use items to recover it.
-Ammo management. There is none. Ammo is infinite. I hate it. There is a small twist here in that while I said ammo in infinite, it needs a time for the magazines to regenerate, which in practical terms you can't use a single weapon in a long engagement, you need to swap between two weapons.

These are a personal taste thing, and more importantly a necessary thing for a single dev vr story shooter project to be finished before the heat death of the universe. Balancing encounters without these would be well nigh impossible for a single developer, especially with checkpoint autosaves.

The alternative is expecting the player to continuously reload and refight encounters until they reach whatever ammo use and health loss the dev balanced the next encounter for, with no feedback as to what that was.