Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Shame Boy posted:

product managers are fine if they do their job right because they make it so i don't have to talk to customers and that's great

so they take the specifications from the customers, and they take them to the engineers

because engineers are not good at dealing with customers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Expo70 posted:

so they take the specifications from the customers, and they take them to the engineers

because engineers are not good at dealing with customers?

they manage the product, yes

also i both do not want to talk to customers and should not be allowed to talk to customers

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Shame Boy posted:

they manage the product, yes

also i both do not want to talk to customers and should not be allowed to talk to customers

so you're saying the product manager has people skills

edit: that they are good with people

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Expo70 posted:

so you're saying the product manager has people skills

any competent manager should, that's a big part of the job of a manager

but i'm less talking about people skills and more talking about their ability to present things diplomatically and not reflexively say "oh that's a dumbass idea, why would you want that"

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Shame Boy posted:

any competent manager should, that's a big part of the job of a manager

but i'm less talking about people skills and more talking about their ability to present things diplomatically and not reflexively say "oh that's a dumbass idea, why would you want that"

given what i've heard from friends, about a lot of clients who don't have a clear vision of what they want, my take from that is you maybe should be allowed to climb into the ring with them, get a little dirty, maybe toss around a few beers and slip some very bad words once or twice when they do stuff that's really really stupid.

maybe clients should get their feelings hurt

as a treat

you could brand it as "reactive design principle" or some poo poo like that and claim its a positive which cuts down on costs

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 7, 2023

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Expo70 posted:

it feels like a shame that there isn't a law about this somewhere. how thee isn't in Europe blows my mind. it should be standardized that when you're moving, buttons only and eyes on the road please.

just lookit that poo poo

KNOBS! The center of each one is a big pushbutton! (a/c, recirc and defroster, respectively). Parking brake on the right because gently caress the passenger. there's also a big lump on the passenger floorboard for the second cat, and the subwoofer's in their footwell. TBH it's not as uncomfortable as it looks over there

also depicted is the oft laughed at fourthvent, below the screen. they designed it with 3 originally because once again, gently caress the passenger, but somebody said "add another vent so there's two for each" and welp

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

just lookit that poo poo

KNOBS! The center of each one is a big pushbutton! (a/c, recirc and defroster, respectively). Parking brake on the right because gently caress the passenger. there's also a big lump on the passenger floorboard for the second cat, and the subwoofer's in their footwell. TBH it's not as uncomfortable as it looks over there

where do you put the first cat and how do you keep them from crawling out and bothering you while you drive

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Jonny 290 posted:

just lookit that poo poo

also depicted is the oft laughed at fourthvent, below the screen. they designed it with 3 originally because once again, gently caress the passenger, but somebody said "add another vent so there's two for each" and welp

2021 Miata? Nice. Did they fix the lifter tick in the hydraulics which plagued the earlier models? inb4 you go full nissan-dad mode and say "idk its a box that drives me to work" -- anyway, be mindful of rust in the arches.

okay carbrain aside

its good to see such physicality in a cabin design but this leads me to think further: how much potential roadhead is lost because of centre-column, and how long did it take for that to stop factoring into customer purchasing decisions like it used to in the 50's and 60's?

how many other "seemingly invisible" concerns exist in these vehicles that got designed out, lost or forgotten over the different eras?

also its really good to see the touchscreen is small and not like big radar-ears-on-the-side-of-a-ginger-kids-head enormous like a lot of cars have now.

i really am sick of the way everything has to have a touchscreen. its like all the smart-fridge dickheads migrated to car companies when their industry folded up and disappeared up its own rear end in a top hat.

edit: roadhead is an industry in-word for any interaction between passenger and driver and doesn't necessarily mean the consumption of someone elses icecream in a moving vehicle. eye-contact, hand-holding, leaning/falling asleep on the driver (one a lot of people still brought vans specifically for in the 80's), passing objects back and forth, etc but yes its origins do begin with said icecream consumption

Shame Boy posted:

where do you put the first cat and how do you keep them from crawling out and bothering you while you drive

out here asking the actual important questions

i'm still convinced you're like the soul of a 17 year old girl trapped in an adult man, and not in a trans-way but in a "omg cat! i must pet you!" way

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 7, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

product management is an administrative task that needs to be done. you gotta define the scope of what everyones working on

i guess that doesnt necessarily mean you need a single dedicated person to do it on every project but i dont think its invalid to have it as a specific role

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Expo70 posted:

2021 Miata? Nice. Did they fix the lifter tick in the hydraulics which plagued the earlier models? inb4 you go full nissan-dad mode and say "idk its a box that drives me to work" -- anyway, be mindful of rust in the arches.

lol this thing is my fuckin childe, i already know way too much about it. anyways they originally just copy pasteyd the 2.0 from the 3, but it was found wanting and they spent 3 years tuning up the motor so it's significantly different from the "ND1" motor, went from 156hp to 181 and redline from 7200 to 7500. good block now.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Jonny 290 posted:

lol this thing is my fuckin childe, i already know way too much about it. anyways they originally just copy pasteyd the 2.0 from the 3, but it was found wanting and they spent 3 years tuning up the motor so it's significantly different from the "ND1" motor, went from 156hp to 181 and redline from 7200 to 7500. good block now.

so you got the 2.0 litre variant then. I heard that Nakamura was kind of angry about this, because he thought a bigger engine contradicted the light-weight philosophy of the vehicle so you're not dancing revs and torque to keep the ride fun (which was originally part of the experience the car was designed around) -- kinda like unlocking some gun that makes all the enemies in an fps laughable to just mow down easily with W and LMB. ideal if you just want to not think and have a comfy dreamy experience i guess cuz yeah if you're stressed, power-tripping is absolutely super relaxing and undoes a lot of the misery on the way home.

i wonder how much it affects the balance and agility.

staying on topic, i am super glad it does have that dinky rear end touch screen.

i wonder how many rokolites and bazingas wrap themselves around lamposts oozing over plaid?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Expo70 posted:

i wonder how many rokolites and bazingas wrap themselves around lamposts oozing over plaid?

i hate that i understood this

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Shame Boy posted:

i hate that i understood this

2023 is hating that you understood every word of a sentence that meant nothing in 2020

2024 is every word in that sentence becoming watercooler talk for everybody else

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

just lookit that poo poo

Correct answer for every problem.

Expo70 posted:

so you got the 2.0 litre variant then. I heard that Nakamura was kind of angry about this, because he thought a bigger engine contradicted the light-weight philosophy of the vehicle so you're not dancing revs and torque to keep the ride fun (which was originally part of the experience the car was designed around) -- kinda like unlocking some gun that makes all the enemies in an fps laughable to just mow down easily with W and LMB. ideal if you just want to not think and have a comfy dreamy experience i guess cuz yeah if you're stressed, power-tripping is absolutely super relaxing and undoes a lot of the misery on the way home.

i wonder how much it affects the balance and agility.

staying on topic, i am super glad it does have that dinky rear end touch screen.

I'm all for "add lightness" and all but I think at some point you do need enough power to not be slower than a base model econobox

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

mobby_6kl posted:

Correct answer for every problem.

I'm all for "add lightness" and all but I think at some point you do need enough power to not be slower than a base model econobox

the way stuff just improves tends to remove a lot of "play" and the "fun" parts of getting certain things to work or behave reliably -- or the weird way people bond over imperfections like with LPs and cassettes and VHS and stuff like that because you learned to like them or play them like a game

the way you're sort of... involved in the process because of the constraints i guess

i get that improvement is good, but there has to be some weirdly specific german word for the grief at the loss of that play, when its no longer necessary due to the march of technological improvement

and then another one where its the opposite and poo poo just gets replaced with worse poo poo like tactile for touch screens (and I'm sure you can think of 100x worse things)

the third is when the march of progress is bringing something that just erases or deletes a headache from your life, because it was impossible to find any play in the difficulty or imperfection of that particular thing

like these are three emotions i can't think of english words to describe

i think "technological regret" is the closest thing i can get, or saudade which is portugese for something no longer attainable. Possibly the German sehnsucht, which is like, yearning for a thing you can't have but that's more spiritual I think?

i wish we got more words to describe things we like/miss, rather than things we don't like/try to avoid, drat you negativity bias!

edit: enshittification : ]

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 7, 2023

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

did someone in here buy me this seinfeld av because i didn't have it like 4 hours ago and i'm very confused

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

was thinking of finally retiring the ol' pony homunculus now that it's like 10 fuckin' years old anyway, but i'm a little miffed it got rid of my gay ascii skeleton

e: also apparently it's from a file photo of jerry dating a 17 year old so i guess someone's accusing me of being a pedophile? or something??

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 7, 2023

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fart simpson posted:

product management is an administrative task that needs to be done. you gotta define the scope of what everyones working on

i guess that doesnt necessarily mean you need a single dedicated person to do it on every project but i dont think its invalid to have it as a specific role

sounds like something a loving product manager would say

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like if you're gonna change my av at least have the common decency to put giant all caps red text screaming about what i've done, it's only polite

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Shame Boy posted:

was thinking of finally retiring the ol' pony homunculus now that it's like 10 fuckin' years old anyway, but i'm a little miffed it got rid of my gay ascii skeleton

e: also apparently it's from a file photo of jerry dating a 17 year old so i guess someone's accusing me of being a pedophile? or something??

it looks like the file photo of when he ruined a stereo to commit mail fraud

did you piss off any postal workers lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

sounds like something a loving product manager would say

guilty as charged

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

it looks like the file photo of when he ruined a stereo to commit mail fraud

did you piss off any postal workers lol

google thinks it's from a picture of him dating a 17 year old but i like yours better :shrug:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

yeah i recognized it immediately. wasn't me though :shrug:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
oh. i thought it might be a grayscale version of this

"that doesn't look like a man happy with his stereo performance, does it?"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i did have someone buy me an angry redtext av accusing me of this before like seven years ago because i had made them mad (cuz i was making fun of node.js iirc lmao) so they went through my post history and found a shitpost where i was talking about loving someone in highschool and didn't think to make it 100% crystal clear that i was also in highschool at the time, so maybe they're still mad about node.js??

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i know im mad about node.js all the time but probably in the correct way

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shame Boy posted:

i did have someone buy me an angry redtext av accusing me of this before like seven years ago because i had made them mad (cuz i was making fun of node.js iirc lmao) so they went through my post history and found a shitpost where i was talking about loving someone in highschool and didn't think to make it 100% crystal clear that i was also in highschool at the time, so maybe they're still mad about node.js??

being still mad at nodejs seems reasonable

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i know im mad about node.js all the time but probably in the correct way

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Shame Boy posted:

product managers are fine if they do their job right because they make it so i don't have to talk to customers and that's great

a good product manager is an incredible productivity multiplier and i have to assume that everyone who complains about the profession as a whole has never had the good fortune to work with one

i hate that scene in office space

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i work with nodejs every day and i'm mad at it

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

fart simpson posted:

being still mad at nodejs seems reasonable

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

tired: nodejs
wired: chodejs

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Armitag3 posted:

tired: nodejs
wired: chodejs

our codebase is quite wide, but not very deep

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you know shame boy, making a huge thing venting your spleen about a weird innocuous avatar doesn't exactly discourage people from buying you weird avatars. either replace it or don't but enough already

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

you know shame boy, making a huge thing venting your spleen about a weird innocuous avatar doesn't exactly discourage people from buying you weird avatars. either replace it or don't but enough already

this particular one can be read as an accusation of pedoephebophilia so I think being very confused and slightly spooked is very understandable

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i mean ok but that "can" is doing a lot of heavy lifting imo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ask any mod to blank it, it's free and you can get on with your day. maybe iks can blank them too.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

huh? given the context of the previous time someone bought them that avatar with red text and the photo it's from why would you say that?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

sure but if that thought got in your head how would you be reacting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

well, probably not by jumping up and down about how my goat has been got and i'm taking this Very Seriously. i'm still trying to wrap my head around who can go "ahh yes this picture of jerry seinfeld is a crop from a photo of him dating a 17 year old". maybe im just old and out of touch

if i was actually freaked out id ask a mod to blank it probably. but idk, i've never been the victim of targeted seinfeld-avatar-based dunks