Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

nine-gear crow posted:

Could you imagine THIS GUY having to report directly to Palpatine or Vader?

Syril: "You've....done it before?"

Captain Bombardier: "I've done it with a LOT of ladaaaaayyyssss" *air halliksets*

Shoehead posted:

Looks like reading The og Thrawn trilogy might actually have been a good idea... But I need to get moving on Rebels
this dude is in the process making a fanimation. It's poser rough sometimes and still getting worked on but seems like a pretty decent interpretation not that I've read it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgRbUd9xil0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Jet Jaguar posted:

The thing that bugs me about Ahsoka is that Tiya Sircar is RIGHT THERE, they couldn't cast her as Sabine again?

I'm with you. It's done now, I'll live with it, but she's so loving good and pretty and talented and pretty and she's a massive Star Wars nerd IRL and... I'm just sad she didn't get to reprise the role in live action. Don't anybody give me any reasons why she couldn't, because she absolutely could. Still super interested in Rebels S5 though, noticing Chopper's "head" is able to do a bit of a wobble and not just rotate like a usual astromech dome will make him much more expressive in live action.

Also, even as a potato cam, the Andor S2 trailer was the best thing revealed. Even the leak-cam video gave me chills.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

1st AD posted:

1)doesn’t have a good look for TV, I don’t care if you put her in makeup it’s not gonna work
2)her only live action roles have been some Disney channel poo poo from 20 years ago

She wouldn’t even be considered by a casting director, now obviously she’s got an in with Filoni but there’s no way a studio would cast her to lead a show they’re spending millions of dollars on

was gonna say a friend said she's kind of...not nice but idk if my friend is over-exaggerating which shows what kinda friend I am

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think she'd have played young Ahsoka fine but Rosario Dawson looks like I imagine her in her 40s.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Senrab posted:

I'm sorry I know there's new Star Wars to discuss but I have to say the fight at the end of the last ep of Mando gave me "your two cousins got into a fistfight at the annual family BBQ" vibes and I can't quite explain why.

Otherwise I keep flip-flopping on that episode but it's so drat weird that overall I think I liked it?

oh yeah also this

Its Rinaldo posted:

Seeing two mandos playing catch, I want to see Mandalorian football. Do they get to have jetpacks?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Parkingtigers posted:

I'm with you. It's done now, I'll live with it, but she's so loving good and pretty and talented and pretty and she's a massive Star Wars nerd IRL and... I'm just sad she didn't get to reprise the role in live action. Don't anybody give me any reasons why she couldn't, because she absolutely could. Still super interested in Rebels S5 though, noticing Chopper's "head" is able to do a bit of a wobble and not just rotate like a usual astromech dome will make him much more expressive in live action.

Also, even as a potato cam, the Andor S2 trailer was the best thing revealed. Even the leak-cam video gave me chills.

It’d be cool to cast Tiya Sircar as another character, since I agree with everything you said about her as an actress

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Eckstein is also 5 inches shorter than Dawson, and obviously its possible to play around height but on one hand you have a normal heighted, excellent actress with experience in action roles vs a voice actress...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean Ashley Johnson got a live action role in The Last of Us.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

stev posted:

Officially throwing out the books, comics etc was necessary if Disney wanted any sort of established canon going forward, considering how much of it there was and how much of it contradicted both itself and more recent media.
More importantly: there was a not-inconsiderable amount of material in there penned by Kevin J. flippin' Anderson.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Arc Hammer posted:

I mean Ashley Johnson got a live action role in The Last of Us.

playing the mother of her character yeah

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Haven't they already confirmed that Ashley Eckstein is playing a role on Ahsoka, just not Ahsoka Tano though?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sombrerotron posted:

More importantly: there was a not-inconsiderable amount of material in there penned by Kevin J. flippin' Anderson.

Hey at least his wacky stuff is fun.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Ashley Johnson has been acting in front of cameras her entire life

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Arc Hammer posted:

It's irredeemable shite, OP.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Parkingtigers posted:

Someone pointed out that Sabine is portrayed/ coded as East Asian (her clan all seem to be iirc) and I imagine that is important to a lot of people. So using an actress of a different race might take that away from many. Same way it was important to many that Ezra's ethnicity was kept for the live action.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sombrerotron posted:

It's irredeemable shite, OP.

Admiral Daala is the best frequent failure antagonist. She's always fun.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

1st AD posted:

Ashley Johnson has been acting in front of cameras her entire life

And doing a lot of voice roles on top of that

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Just Chamber posted:

Same way it was important to many that Ezra's ethnicity was kept for the live action.

Did they cast someone from Agrabah for the live action Ezra then?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sombrerotron posted:

The EU gets so much worse than his stuff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Gestures vaguely in the direction of Troy Denning's books and the ultraviolence plus underage sexual assault within.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Arc Hammer posted:

Gestures vaguely in the direction of Troy Denning's books and the ultraviolence plus underage sexual assault within.

sry what

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Doctor Spaceman posted:

at least KJA just has a deathstar fetish

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arc Hammer posted:

Kevin J. Anderson made so much more sense to me after I learned that he doesn't actually outline his stories before he starts writing them; he just rambles stream-of-consciousness thoughts into a recorder while he's walking or hiking, and then he goes home and just writes whatever he babbled out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Late stage old EU. Legacy of the Force's final book, Invincible. Han and Leia's twin children are on opposite sides, with NotBen Jacen Solo turning evil. Jaina Solo cuts his arm off with a machete rather than a lightsaber and then when they have a rematch she hacks him to bits and dumps him into a vat of used syringes. Then she and her parents and Luke watch while his body rolls along a conveyor belt into an incinerator.

Meanwhile, the thirty year old ex girlfriend of the now-dead (but still having time travel sex with her) Anakin Solo straps Luke's fourteen year old son onto a BDSM torture rack and starts molesting him by shoving her hand down his pants.

Invincible is not a good book.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
man i dropped out after the vong saga and i thought that was bad. wow

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Just Chamber posted:

Someone pointed out that Sabine is portrayed/ coded as East Asian (her clan all seem to be iirc) and I imagine that is important to a lot of people. So using an actress of a different race might take that away from many. Same way it was important to many that Ezra's ethnicity was kept for the live action.

There are darker skinned East Asians too. If we're saying she's a bit too dusky to play the role then it's just perpetuating the real-world racism in East Asia where lighter skinned people in places like China and Japan look down on darker skinned people like Indonesians and Filipinos. Don't want to get too IRL ranty but the treatment of migrant domestic workers in places like Singapore and Hong Kong is scandalously racist and enshrined as such in law (no option of permanent residency despite meeting the required number of years continuous work, or minimum wage protection).

Star Wars needs more representation, and it's getting better at that, but that doesn't mean having to include homogenous groups as straight up analogues for real world cultures because that's just taking the wrong lessons from the real-world and repeating it. I don't know, if it was a white actress who had been playing Sabine then it would be an issue (with the casting, not the actress). But it's not like South Asians have been well represented in Star Wars so far, having even fewer roles than East Asians in the canon.

She's been recast for live action, and I'm fine with it, but "she's not the right ethnicity/skin tone" is not a justification we want to get into, big can of worms there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

site posted:

man i dropped out after the vong saga and i thought that was bad. wow

So if my choice is between Kevin J Anderson writing about another doomsday weapon and gelatinous cubes doing obstacle courses or a grimdark slog with child abuse, I'm gonna stick with the Umgullian Blob Races.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 8, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Darksaber's (and thus, KJA's) biggest crime wasn't Hutts building off-brand lightsaber shaped Deathstars, it was killing off Crix Madine.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Arc Hammer posted:

Late stage old EU. Legacy of the Force's final book, Invincible. Han and Leia's twin children are on opposite sides, with NotBen Jacen Solo turning evil. Jaina Solo cuts his arm off with a machete rather than a lightsaber and then when they have a rematch she hacks him to bits and dumps him into a vat of used syringes. Then she and her parents and Luke watch while his body rolls along a conveyor belt into an incinerator.

Meanwhile, the thirty year old ex girlfriend of the now-dead (but still having time travel sex with her) Anakin Solo straps Luke's fourteen year old son onto a BDSM torture rack and starts molesting him by shoving her hand down his pants.

Invincible is not a good book.

well that is uh

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Legacy of the force is probably the worst star wars media ever. I talk my fair share of poo poo about disney obviously but I think I'd take anything they've made over that and all the other dumb or tedious or silly crap in legends too.

I think those books broke teenage me's star wars brain and it never really healed

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

...is it bad that I'd still watch the gently caress out of this? I know it won't be quite this hamfisted, but we're totally getting a Filoni version of the Endgame portals scene aren't we?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

gently caress it just put a crew together that could station every destroyer shown in TROS

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
can't believe mando is such a bad father he let his kid start smoking

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

site posted:

can't believe mando is such a bad father he let his kid start smoking

Don Johnson is a bad influence

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
At least they're not death sticks.

Parkingtigers posted:

...is it bad that I'd still watch the gently caress out of this? I know it won't be quite this hamfisted, but we're totally getting a Filoni version of the Endgame portals scene aren't we?

We are, and it's going to be just as awful as that was.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Shoehead posted:

Looks like reading The og Thrawn trilogy might actually have been a good idea... But I need to get moving on Rebels

I'd say Rebels should do well enough to give you the info for the character as they exist in this canon and then you can run back around to the Thrawn books

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I saw this week's Mando and it was fun but I got this vibe that I didn't belong. Jack black, lizzo, and Christopher plummer were all doing a bit that we weren't privy too. Like lizzo knighted him because she knew he was cheating for her but of course we never saw it.

Also I hated how they showed us in the concept art that the cruiser was flying because you know they had to lower it to the ground to fit in the volume.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

We are, and it's going to be just as awful as that was.
So edgy. :allears: A lot of people were moved by that moment and you weren't. That makes you smarter than them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
They could totally adapt heir to the empire.

You've got thrawn.

They've got mt tantiss to clone whoever as a Joruus, but ahsoka isn't some eager young jedi master trying to learn about the old jedi order and how to teach jedi. You could still have thrawn manipulating not-joruus into doing battle meditation.

Even if they don't want straight up mara jade you could still have some former emperor's agent as not mara jade.

They could go either Luuke and recast seb stan and say the cloning went funky or do Ahsooka or Ezraa.

If its not-mara you could have the romance subplot with ahsoka instead.

You might need to cut out the whole karade storyline for length and because he'd steal too much of the limelight but that poses a problem of how to introduce mara/not-mara.

You'd probably need to cut out the katana fleet stuff since that's heavily tied into karade.

I can imagine delta source would make for some really cool looking shots with the sound reactive tree patterns.