Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Wait, the animation that put the comic on hold for years is a "pilot"? Is the comic dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It would be funny if the show finished before the comic did

A massive work made by one person takes a long period of time so it's not that weird or even uncommon. The show has a decent sized team working on it and I'm pretty sure Butler does the comic by herself. She's also probably doing a lot of work on the show as well, she's not updated the comic since the kickstarter for the pilot wrapped up.

Though maybe inbetween now and the show maybe getting picked up she might return to updates.

Ditocoaf posted:

Wait, the animation that put the comic on hold for years is a "pilot"? Is the comic dead?

They want to make it into a full show but they need to be picked up by a studio first. The pilot is the first step for that. Animation is very expensive and time consuming and it took a lot of manpower and money just to produce that pilot. Though if it does get picked up I imagine it'll be a while before we see comic updates but you never know. If Martin can be working on his book six for as long as he has, it's too early to say that anything is "dead". Lackadaisy isn't anywhere near that yet.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 7, 2023

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
do note that the pilot's kind of a runaway success with over five million views in under a week

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

JuniperCake posted:

If Martin can be working on his book six for as long as he has, it's too early to say that anything is "dead". Lackadaisy isn't anywhere near that yet.

I mean, I don't expect ASOIAF to reach its planned finale, if that's the comparison.

Not going to begrudge the wild success of something, it's a happy ending, but I'm definitely developing a preference for reading narrative comics that are already done when I start.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 7, 2023

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Ditocoaf posted:

that probably depends on if someone picks it up and offers her a whole bunch of money to ditch the comic for showbiz

the comic took an incredible amount of time between updates even when back when it was just one-off vignettes on Deviantart, it was always going to be a miracle if it reached any kind of conclusion before Butler got sick/got a more demanding job/got bored/arm fall off. That's kinda the nature of weird experimental passion projects some maniac is making in their own free time for decades. This... significantly improves the odds of some version of Lackadaisy getting there?

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 7, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dang, that's good. I'll admit I didn't have high hopes, no offense to Tracy Butler, it's just a huge undertaking and a big gamble by its nature.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

that probably depends on if someone picks it up and offers her a whole bunch of money to ditch the comic for showbiz

the comic took an incredible amount of time between updates even when back when it was just one-off vignettes on Deviantart, it was always going to be a miracle if it reached any kind of conclusion before Butler got sick/got a more demanding job/got bored/arm fall off. That's kinda the nature of weird experimental passion projects some maniac is making in their own free time for decades. This... significantly improves the odds of some version of Lackadaisy getting there?

Yeah that's a fair point. This comic has been running for a long time and it still feels like it's in the early stages of the story. That said the quality has always been so good that I think I'd be happy with any pages even if it never gets an "ending".

I really hope they get a lot of success with the show, no matter the status of the comic.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

JuniperCake posted:

If Martin can be working on his book six for as long as he has, it's too early to say that anything is "dead".

Book six is not coming out lol

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
GRRM being unable to disclose the book ending (while the show's ending was getting lit the gently caress up) because that would be officially giving up is a very GRRM-style ironic hell.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I suspect what actually happened is that the book ending he planned was very much like the show ending and given the reception to the show's ending, he had to completely scrap all his plans.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
"The animated adaptation reaches a conclusion before the original series" is actually something that happens pretty often in anime, and the normal approach is to just completely make poo poo up once they run out of material. So maybe by the end of the century there'll be Lackadaisy and Lackadaisy: Brotherhood.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Too bad they seem to be a couple of years late for pitching a show, considering that everyone noticed recently that paying anything to get new viewers isn't a winning strategy in streaming wars.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

girl dick energy posted:

I suspect what actually happened is that the book ending he planned was very much like the show ending and given the reception to the show's ending, he had to completely scrap all his plans.

In the later seasons there was a lot of speculation that the planned ending relied on plot points that didn't get adapted, so the ending got shoehorned into a continuity that it no longer made sense in, so it might not be completely unsalvageable. But yeah, there's definitely some damage control involved.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

JuniperCake posted:

Yeah that's a fair point. This comic has been running for a long time and it still feels like it's in the early stages of the story. That said the quality has always been so good that I think I'd be happy with any pages even if it never gets an "ending".

I really hope they get a lot of success with the show, no matter the status of the comic.

tbh it did look like it was building quickly to a climax when it stopped, the whole mystery behind Atlas and Rocky's showdown with the Marigolds and whatever was going on with the revenuer were all coming together and you could start to see what that was gonna look like, but that'd still be another like 6 years to finish at the previous update schedule and most people don't get that long a stretch to focus on a single project that doesn't really pay the bills

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 8, 2023

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The thing I've liked most behind the Lackadaisy release is all the artists on Twitter and Tumblr and YouTube sharing what they all worked on. People who I had no idea were involved have been popping out if the woodwork to show a bit they storyboarded, or composited, or did the backgrounds, etc.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

girl dick energy posted:

The ending of the show wasn't the problem for me. It was the lovely way in which they got there. Benioff and Weiss deliberately rushed it even though HBO were offering them more episodes to let it breathe, because they wanted to go do the Star Wars project that they'd been offered.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

the holy poopacy posted:

In the later seasons there was a lot of speculation that the planned ending relied on plot points that didn't get adapted, so the ending got shoehorned into a continuity that it no longer made sense in, so it might not be completely unsalvageable. But yeah, there's definitely some damage control involved.

Yeah, things like 'Bran becomes king' makes great sense and totally fits with how the books are going if Bran becomes king because he's the Bloodraven 2.0 and is a ruthless greenseer who's left his humanity behind and knows everyone's deepest secrets and is a terrifying omniscient force, and makes zero sense with 'everyone votes to make Bran king because that's how George said it ended so we'll just make it happen'. It seems evident to me that GRRM told them a bunch of ending points and they just had them happen without the setup that lead the characters there.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, things like 'Bran becomes king' makes great sense and totally fits with how the books are going if Bran becomes king because he's the Bloodraven 2.0 and is a ruthless greenseer who's left his humanity behind and knows everyone's deepest secrets and is a terrifying omniscient force, and makes zero sense with 'everyone votes to make Bran king because that's how George said it ended so we'll just make it happen'. It seems evident to me that GRRM told them a bunch of ending points and they just had them happen without the setup that lead the characters there.

"Who has a better story than Bran the Broken?"

Well, lots of people at this point, Tyrion.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

To be honest, with Lackadaisy I felt like it was lucky enough that there even was a comic and it was beautiful and funny in the first place. It started as a couple comics and character sheets on Deviantart, and I feel like I've seen so many projects and would-be comic epics just kinda languish at that stage forever (at least in the days I used to browse Deviantart), as the authors would have all these plans and designs that they'd never actually get around to starting.

I think I fell of with the comic at some point and forgot to keep checking for updates, but from what I remember while Tracy Butler is a fantastic artist and a pretty good character and joke writer, didn't feel like the overarching narrative was going much of anywhere (which isn't uncommon for the comics that do get off the ground). Presumably if the pilot got picked up, working with a number of people they could both maintain coherent plans and keep up a steady pace of work.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Jeph. Jeph, I...tire of the gifted child character. Please, no more.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

shirts and skins posted:

Jeph. Jeph, I...tire of the gifted child character. Please, no more.

Counter: she's not a quirky robot.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The gifted child is annoying at times but her catastrophic anxiety spiral was very real so she bought a lot of patience from me with that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Honestly I’m enjoying this arc, it’s got an actually grounded and relatable main conflict and both Faye/Hanners and Marten dealing with different awestruck teenagers feels like a good way to acknowledge that they’re not quirky 20-somethings any more.

Why, no, this doesn’t have anything to do with me being in my thirties now and finding out that people look up to me apparently(????), why do you ask?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Agree, it's an interesting arc all around and QC is best when it breaks from stasis. Just, I GET it with the annoying gifted kid already

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
She will stop being drunk eventually.

Probably.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Honestly, if Marten and Claire are sticking around in Cubetown and it's becoming a secondary location, I'm fine with Jeph spending time establishing the secondary characters around them. It's not like this is a comic where we're desperate to see where the plot goes next.

And hey, there was an SA shout-out a few weeks back in this arc, so he gets some goodwill for that.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

And hey, there was an SA shout-out a few weeks back in this arc, so he gets some goodwill for that.

Where was that? Either I saw it and forgot about it (likely) or it got past me.

Also, xkcd has some neat flash style rocket ship game up right now. Pretty much just exploring for fun, upgrading your little ship, and finding easter eggs. After several hours I feel like I have been to many of the same places multiple times but am as of yet to find half the stuff out there.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like people should just be telling the literal child to go back to high school, or, since I guess she's 19 now, actual college.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
19 year olds are not children, and she already went to college.

She might have been better off if she were only now going to college, though.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Twenty Four posted:

Where was that? Either I saw it and forgot about it (likely) or it got past me.

This page, the characters in panel 2 are from TeeQueue's Let's Play Lobotomy Corporation.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

This page, the characters in panel 2 are from TeeQueue's Let's Play Lobotomy Corporation.

Right on, thanks! Yeah that one went over my head but I appreciate you letting me know!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Resize it slightly, and this would make an incredible avatar.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's a loving pun, too. It's a Leopard 2 with leopard ears and tail.

(Germany's army still uses the Iron Cross as its insignia, if you're alarmed about that. The solid green on Jeph's drawing looks more like the Canadian Armed Forces version, but I couldn't find a good shot of one of ours from that angle.)

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 3, 2023

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

I really enjoyed this joke. Of course Bub's fursona would be Leopard tank.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
If AI fursonas are just non-humanoid machines, does that mean the felon AI who tried to procure a fighter jet was really just a furry jonesing for a premium fursuit?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rblA5nul1Mg

EEEEEEEEEEEE

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yessssssssss.

Also Nimona's a great fit for... is there a name for the post-spiderverse animation stylings?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
"windwaker"

but yeah, this looks great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Does anyone have a link to a webcomic that starts with a man saying 'Hello!' to the reader, hitting rock bottom in his life and being saved by a ramen shop owner? I think the name might've been just Hello!, and the setup built to a family drama featuring ramen business and fighting thugs with barstools. I had the comic bookmarked for a long time but the site died, and later on I lost the bookmark.