Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, that's the same year as Dragonar had one of its three protagonists be an African-American New Yorker, so how ahead of the curve it was depends on a lot of assessments I'm not in a position to make.

I’m not familiar with Dragonar, I will have to check it out. I meant no disrespect by my comment; simply by having black special forces and a black second in command seemed very progressive for the time. I am also not an expert on anime nor it’s history of portrayal of different races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, Deunan of Appleseed (started in 1985) is in an interracial relationship with a North African full-conversion cyborg, and Briareos is a cool dude who regularly gets to be just as much of a hero as she does.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

HAmbONE posted:

I’m not familiar with Dragonar, I will have to check it out. I meant no disrespect by my comment; simply by having black special forces and a black second in command seemed very progressive for the time. I am also not an expert on anime nor it’s history of portrayal of different races.

I don't think anyone here is. I'm glad you made that post highlighting M-66, as not only was I unaware of the representation in that show but now I'm learning about all these other old shows with good rep. Even if it did in fact have contemporaries that were as or more progressive I think it was a good observation to make and share.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm watching Dynazenon.

I had never even thought of this before, but now I feel very strongly that every anime should feature a scene that's just about a character eating a churro.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Slightly earlier still, ZZ Gundam had an arc about racial tensions in Africa (which felt weirdly 20th century in their setup, considering how much the rest of the setting had changed by UC 079)

It's almost like it's a commentary on the world we live on

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

It's almost like it's a commentary on the world we live on

Obviously, but there's still a difference between Star Trek episodes where they learned a lesson about not getting involved in Space Vietnam and a hypothetical episode where the Vietnam War is just... going on exactly as it was in the 60s in the 2260s.

ZZ Gundam's African plot feels more direct and less analogous than Gundam (especially UC Gundam) tends to, so it stands a bit out among the usual conflicts centered around Spacenoids and Earthnoids.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I remember Gridman got a lot of buzz, but it seemed like Dynazenon passed more under the radar. What was up with that?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gripweed posted:

I remember Gridman got a lot of buzz, but it seemed like Dynazenon passed more under the radar. What was up with that?

If I was being totally forthright with my opinion I'd say it's because it was just a bad show, but since I know my particular take is the extreme minority opinion I'll point out that Dynazenon did get a lot of hype and buzz around here and elsewhere frankly I wasn't aware it went under the radar since I saw it being praised in a lot of places.

But to play against my personal feelings but also possibly play into my own immediacy bias, I did see a lot of "IT'S AMAZING! (but not as good as Gridman)" takes and maybe that's why? Even the people who love Dynazenon and talk about its incredible mix of youthful alienation, slow slice of life narratives, great and engaging characters, and cool robot action (so not me) still seem to file it away as an also-ran, and then the hype from it when it airing was immediately metamorphosed into the announcement of Gridman X Dynazenon, and then Gridman got a second hype parade because it showed up in Super Robot Wars 30 as major narrative tentpole with a huge chunk of budget spent on it. Irrespective of quality if a show is constantly in its predecessor's shadow even among fans then yeah, it's probably going to get a little bit buried.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

If I was being totally forthright with my opinion I'd say it's because it was just a bad show, but since I know my particular take is the extreme minority opinion I'll point out that Dynazenon did get a lot of hype and buzz around here and elsewhere frankly I wasn't aware it went under the radar since I saw it being praised in a lot of places.

But to play against my personal feelings but also possibly play into my own immediacy bias, I did see a lot of "IT'S AMAZING! (but not as good as Gridman)" takes and maybe that's why? Even the people who love Dynazenon and talk about its incredible mix of youthful alienation, slow slice of life narratives, great and engaging characters, and cool robot action (so not me) still seem to file it away as an also-ran, and then the hype from it when it airing was immediately metamorphosed into the announcement of Gridman X Dynazenon, and then Gridman got a second hype parade because it showed up in Super Robot Wars 30 as major narrative tentpole with a huge chunk of budget spent on it. Irrespective of quality if a show is constantly in its predecessor's shadow even among fans then yeah, it's probably going to get a little bit buried.

I'd say that streaming on a less popular service was also a factor. Fewer people were watching live.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Not really, far as I saw everyone who liked GRIDMAN also saw, talked about and liked Dyna

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Theres no osmosis character like rikka like a ganyu from genshin that people just go " oh thats where shes from"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dynazenon was not a direct sequel to Inferno Cop, and very few anime are.

I just watched some Unicorn and I've noticed there's a lot of talk about "absolute defense lines" in these shows.

First of all, I get the general idea, but does it mean something in specific? Like is that a IJN naval term?

Second of all, where did it start?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's mainly a legal term to refer to an argument that is irrefutable and ends in favour of the defendant. It you look it up in Japanese your main search entries will point to Naruto so that doesn't really help narrow down the origin.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

I just watched some Unicorn and I've noticed there's a lot of talk about "absolute defense lines" in these shows.

First of all, I get the general idea, but does it mean something in specific? Like is that a IJN naval term?

Yes, this article explains it better than I can:

https://ww2days.com/japan-adopts-absolute-defense-perimeter-strategy.html

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Paging Chiasaur11, your punishment is not yet complete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSp33jxnGSY

We thank you for your service.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I…I’ve been thinking every day since coming here. How did things turn out this way? Ruined minds and bodies… People with no freedom left… People who have even lost themselves… What kind of person would want to watch anime if they knew they were going to end up like this…? But there was something there, all along, pushing us right into hell. For most of us, that something is not our own free will. We’re forced to by others, or by our environment. That’s why the people who push themselves into hell see a different hell from the rest of us. They also see something beyond that hell. Maybe it’s hope. Maybe it’s yet another hell. I don’t know which it is. The only people who do know…are the ones who keep moving forward

The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nessus posted:

It gets mentioned in Evangelion and possibly Gunbuster so it's absolutely a naval term (probably)

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Arc Hammer posted:

I forgot this was still a thing.

That's supposed to be an Obari show this time around, right, so at least it should be comparatively more entertaining.

Withholding any particular judgment on the script yet honestly not expecting too much either way.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

When I finish Dynazenon I’m gonna start Kyokai Senki with the goal of liking it just to be contrary.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/Cosmikaizer/status/1645318080938278914?s=20

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sakurazuka posted:

It gets mentioned in Evangelion and possibly Gunbuster so it's absolutely a naval term (probably)
Yeah and it always seems to go the same way the real life version did :v:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Obari is cool. Fatal Fury is one of my fav movies, and love his credits page, all the key animation credits etc. Not a lot of mecha shows he headlined that I've loved or anything, though I did like Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer at the time. But he's got mecha in his blood for sure.

I've been curious to try that SRW Inspector show, but sounds like you're supposed to see the previous show as well, which didn't look as interesting. Maybe there's a recap.

And speaking of Gunbuster, Obari has key animation credits on ep 5 and 6, he's been everywhere.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Obari is cool. Fatal Fury is one of my fav movies, and love his credits page, all the key animation credits etc. Not a lot of mecha shows he headlined that I've loved or anything, though I did like Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer at the time. But he's got mecha in his blood for sure.

I've been curious to try that SRW Inspector show, but sounds like you're supposed to see the previous show as well, which didn't look as interesting. Maybe there's a recap.

And speaking of Gunbuster, Obari has key animation credits on ep 5 and 6, he's been everywhere.

While it comes after the first SRW anime the Obari one gives you enough info that you don't feel totally lost watching it blind and the previous show just is not really all that good so I'd suggest skipping it or maybe reading a summary

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Obari can draw mecha like the best of them but his humans are terrifying.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Heavy Metal posted:

Shoutouts to the episode of Precure he animated. It's even a giant robot episode!

As for SRW The Inspector you can probably watch it without seeing the original just on the premise of "good guy robots fight bad guy robots in cool robot fights".

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Obari, he's a great follow on Twitter because you'll see a clip of the sickest mecha animation and he'll reply with "Yep, that was me. Director, storyboards, key-animation..." or "oh, I did this one when I was 19" or "did this while my arm was broken in 3 places." Constantly.

What a legend.

It's also nice seeing him excited for the Garou sequel. But I guess that's no surprise since he worked on that animation for KOFXV last year.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SatoshiMiwa posted:

While it comes after the first SRW anime the Obari one gives you enough info that you don't feel totally lost watching it blind and the previous show just is not really all that good so I'd suggest skipping it or maybe reading a summary

Yeah this is basically accurate. Divine Wars is middling at its very best and is mostly very ugly and has pretty terrible choreography(which is hilariously ironic for a show based on SRW, a series functionally all about awesome attack animations). You can go into Inspector completely blind and it'll be fine, as functionally all of the main plotlines in the show are new. If you really want to be safe, read a plot summary of Original Generation 1.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Obari can draw mecha like the best of them but his humans are terrifying.

I think his human designs range from okay to quite good but his Fatal Fury designs are very much 90's in a way that only Sunrise's Kotobuki only topped and he kept using that style for a bit too long before evolving

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I think his human designs range from okay to quite good but his Fatal Fury designs are very much 90's in a way that only Sunrise's Kotobuki only topped and he kept using that style for a bit too long before evolving
IIRC he stated in an interview that he was using men's bodybuilder magazines for reference at that point.

The only thing memorable about Divine Wars was the bangin' OP, everything else was a complete waste. A synopsis of OG1 or the Record of ATX manga will give you some nice "oh, that guy/thing!" moments, but otherwise you can go into The Inspector blind.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Heavy Metal posted:

If there's anything that will make you feel "lost" while watching The Inspector, it's the simple fact they have like five different antagonist factions.

Which makes more sense in the original game, of course, but does feel a little overstuffed in an adaptation. It's still very entertaining and worth watching though.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Omnicrom posted:

Shoutouts to the episode of Precure he animated. It's even a giant robot episode!

Which one is this?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Schwarzwald posted:

Which one is this?

Episode 35 of Smile Precure. It's a fun one-shot where the villain literally shoots the lead with a Giant Robot Transformation Beam, but Smile Precure is also a season I have little to no affection for so it's kind of a wash for me personally. If they'd done it in a season like Tropical Rouge I'm sure I'd be raving about it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/mechaposadist/status/1647275265465171969?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I did another one of these. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6MOz2M_Gvs

This is the mecha thread, so I'm guessing most of y'all know what Voltes V is. If not, what starts pretty generic (if well produced) super robot show takes a hard left turn midway through when we're shown the feudalism and racial slavery that underpins the alien invader's society. The protagonists join the laborer revolution and plot to overthrow the monarchy. It has a pretty heavy influence on the later Gundam, and through a weird confluence of events became wildly popular in the Philippians.

Toei had the video delisted for copyright infringement and I had to go through some trouble to get it back up. What the hell, Toei?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Toei being dickish? Really?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I know, it seems so unlike them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Went to Der Rosenkavalier today and came away with some macross thought. The older woman always "wins" doesn't she? Misa over Minmay, Mung over Apple, Sheryl over Ranka, Sara over Mao, a literal mountain over Mylene. The greatest predictor for romantic success in a Macrossian Triangle seems to be age and nothing else. Fascinating

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mirage lost, sort of. but it's a bit of a stretch to say she was ever in the running.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

mirage lost, sort of. but it's a bit of a stretch to say she was ever in the running.

No more of a stretch than Mao, Mylene, Ranka or Sharon. None of whom are treated as actual romantic interests by their desired partner in their series.

tsob fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

I did another one of these. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6MOz2M_Gvs

This is the mecha thread, so I'm guessing most of y'all know what Voltes V is. If not, what starts pretty generic (if well produced) super robot show takes a hard left turn midway through when we're shown the feudalism and racial slavery that underpins the alien invader's society. The protagonists join the laborer revolution and plot to overthrow the monarchy. It has a pretty heavy influence on the later Gundam, and through a weird confluence of events became wildly popular in the Philippians.

Toei had the video delisted for copyright infringement and I had to go through some trouble to get it back up. What the hell, Toei?

Knowing Voltes mostly from Super Robot Wars, I thought that it was basically Combattler's uglier younger brother with a less iconic main team and slightly better antagonists.

Needless to say, SRW does a huge disservice to the show. It is so much cooler than anything it's ever been allowed to do there. Voltes is up there with Zambot as far as hard-hitting classic super robots go IMO, and I can easily see how it became an icon in the Phillipines.

Good stuff.