Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Cougar gold is fantastic and makes a great gift. Just don't ask what kind of milk it's made from.

Especially don't ask what milk their viking cheese is made from.

...what milk is it made from?? this article seems to imply cougar gold is just cow milk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

kumba posted:

...what milk is it made from?? this article seems to imply cougar gold is just cow milk
Maybe it was some kind of joke?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I missed this but just wanted to make sure it was recognized. Any post in this thread that causes a Pavlovian response deserves a salute.

:patriot: At ease, soldier.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

mystes posted:

Maybe it was some kind of joke?

oh lol was it a cougar/viking milk joke

oops

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Just some spaghetti, tomato, basil, and pine nuts.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Made some Yaki Udon minus the udon and sub for regular stir fry noodle.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

hot dags

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Had grilled fish with Tonka bean cream sauce the other day, made leftover fish and sauce into a soup with bits and pieces from the fridge.

Might be best fish soup I've had

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
chicken (and bacon and egg) cheese

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Ginger turmeric chicken soup with kale and sweet potatoes

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

BBQ Dave posted:

Scallops St. Jaques (shallots, wine, mushrooms, gruyere)

Had frozen shallots that needed cooking... so I went with this Chef John video. Probably one of the best things I've cooked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YymAA-1YrYQ

Made this tonight to re-examine my feelings toward scallops. Still not a big fan, but even though I hosed up some parts, that dang sauce with the mushrooms and shallots was awesome. Won't make it again but zero regrets!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Roasted chicken and twice baked potatoes.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

You know, quote isn't edit. Even in the awful app.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Matty Mattheson Italian sub. Ignore kids food in the background.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

This is a little ditty
About Steak Diane

A simple American dish
doing the best that it can

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

I am a goddamn fool that has overpaid for chicken wings my entire life.

Not quite 15 minute wings. That's a bit ambitious. Maybe closer to 21 or 24 minute wings.

Original recipe: wings go into a bowl. Cover with water. Microwave for five minutes. Broil skin-side down for five, flip, broil other side for five. I wound up broiling for closer to 7-9 minutes a side. I also decided that discarding the water was dumb and stupid so I strained it through a fine mesh sieve and threw it into a mason jar to deglaze a pan with in the near future.

Sauce was chinese fermented bean curd, soy sauce, black vinegar, chili crisp, sesame oil, and juuuuuuust a tiny bit of sugar to take the edge off the salt.

Either way, faster than getting cold and soggy wings from the corner pizzaria, and the pack of 16 flats from my chinese market was just $7.88

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 29, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

$7.88 for wings? Jesus

It's like £2 here and we're in the midst of inflationpalooza -even with conversion that's like $4.50

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Mmmm raw chicken water.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
I usually do 1 hour-ish wings. Oven at 450, wings on rack on tray, flip about every 15-20 minutes. After about an hour they're nice and crispy and the meat falls off the bone. I actually prefer that texture to the fried ones, and they're super low effort without much mess either.

If you plan ahead, they're even better if you do the Serious Eats thing, and toss them in a mixture of salt and baking powder (1 tsp each per pound of wings), arrange them on the rack/tray, and let them air dry in the fridge for 8 hours or more before cooking. You get a super crispy skin this way.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

JoshGuitar posted:

I usually do 1 hour-ish wings. Oven at 450, wings on rack on tray, flip about every 15-20 minutes. After about an hour they're nice and crispy and the meat falls off the bone. I actually prefer that texture to the fried ones, and they're super low effort without much mess either.

If you plan ahead, they're even better if you do the Serious Eats thing, and toss them in a mixture of salt and baking powder (1 tsp each per pound of wings), arrange them on the rack/tray, and let them air dry in the fridge for 8 hours or more before cooking. You get a super crispy skin this way.

Well, the goal was to get me to cut down on spontaneous being too lazy to do involved dinners and stopping by Wingstop for takeout on the way home. In that regard, this is a smashing success, though I will need to futz with tray placement/rotation for better crisping.

Diet Crack posted:

$7.88 for wings? Jesus

It's like £2 here and we're in the midst of inflationpalooza -even with conversion that's like $4.50

Well, it beats $50 for 20 from Wingstop, so I'll take my win(g)s how I can get them.

edit: and that's before the $15 tray from the discount chain supermarket!

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 29, 2023

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Well, the goal was to get me to cut down on spontaneous being too lazy to do involved dinners and stopping by Wingstop for takeout on the way home. In that regard, this is a smashing success, though I will need to futz with tray placement/rotation for better crisping.

Yeah, an hour is still sometimes a pain in the rear end if you want a quick dinner after work or whatever. It's kinda like Mitch Hedberg with baked potatoes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rvVugY-kZc

$6 a pound still sounds pretty high for wings, but maybe that's par for the course when you're buying all flats. I like a 50/50 mix of flats and drummies. Typically they're $3-4/lb around here these days, and just the other day I saw whole wings on sale for something like $1.79/lb. I bought a bunch, broke them down, vacuum sealed/froze the flats and drummies, and saved the tips for stock.

Someday when you have time, try the Serious Eats method: https://www.seriouseats.com/the-best-buffalo-wings-oven-fried-wings-recipe. It's still a high heat, but less intense than the broiler, so it has time to render fat and give you a nice evenly crispy skin.

Speaking of crispy skin, a while back I took some chicken thigh skin, lightly coated it with salt and baking powder, stretched it out like the "bat wing" on "Waiting...", let it dry on a rack on a try for a few hours in the fridge, then baked it until crispy. It was like the chicken version of pork rinds...highly recommended.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

JoshGuitar posted:

of crispy skin, a while back I took some chicken thigh skin, lightly coated it with salt and baking powder, stretched it out like the "bat wing" on "Waiting...", let it dry on a rack on a try for a few hours in the fridge, then baked it until crispy. It was like the chicken version of pork rinds...highly recommended.

yeah it owns. i've done this with turkey skin and salmon skin before as well. i'll usually take two baking sheets, line one with parchment paper, put the skin on there, put more parchment paper on top, and then finish with the second sheet to try and keep the thing flat and uniform. its great

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Well, it beats $50 for 20 from Wingstop, so I'll take my win(g)s how I can get them.

Aren't they about $15 for 20?

Super basic ones here go for $1.15/lb (£1.99/kilo).

JoshGuitar posted:

Speaking of crispy skin, a while back I took some chicken thigh skin, lightly coated it with salt and baking powder, stretched it out like the "bat wing" on "Waiting...", let it dry on a rack on a try for a few hours in the fridge, then baked it until crispy. It was like the chicken version of pork rinds...highly recommended.

Also just frying off chicken skin at a low temp then salting, chuck into an oven for 10 mins and you have chickarrones. So bad for you but very tasty.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Raikiri posted:

Aren't they about $15 for 20?

Super basic ones here go for $1.15/lb (£1.99/kilo).

Also just frying off chicken skin at a low temp then salting, chuck into an oven for 10 mins and you have chickarrones. So bad for you but very tasty.

god forbid you order sides or drinks, or get flats only. I used to order the 15 piece combo for 2, change fries to veg, and add an extra 5 wings to give me 10 of each flavor. Plus tax, yeah, I'm looking at close to $50. You can see why I might consider $8 plus less than half an hour in the ktichen to be a steal, comparatively.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 30, 2023

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
My laziest chicken recipe, which is incidentally also my most delicious chicken recipe, is incredibly simple and adaptable. You’ll need chicken thighs (skin on, bone in), salt (I prefer kosher), and a skillet or pan that can do stove top and oven (I use cast iron).

Preheat the oven to 425°, put your skillet on the stove top, and while it’s still cold, salt the skin surface of your chicken thoroughly and place the individual size skin side down in the skillet. I usually end up using about a teaspoon of kosher salt per thigh per side. Start heating the skillet, aiming for medium high, so that the slowly increasing heat renders the fat out of the skin and makes it crispy. Salt the meat side of the thigh while it’s facing up. Once the skin side seems to be getting a little crispy and cooked, in the oven is preheated, flip the thighs (still raw on the bottom, skin not yet fully cooked), then put the whole pan into the oven.

Small thighs will take about 20 minutes, medium thighs about 25, large thighs maybe as much as 28. Frozen is fine, you’ll just need another five minutes or so. You’ll know it’s done when the bones start to stick out of either side of the meat. The cooking time will seem almost too long, and technically you could pull them out a little before this as long as they reach safe internal temp, but the last five minutes that take it from “done“ to “oh my god“ are absolutely worth it. The skin will be incredibly crispy, the meat will be amazingly seasoned from soaking in chicken fat and juices with lots of salt, and you’ll have done about five minutes worth of work total.

I love to combine this with sides that put the chicken fat to good use. Sometimes I’ll parboil new potatoes (just long enough that they’re nearly done), then throw them into the skillet with the chicken for the last 10 minutes. Sometimes I’ll put the potatoes on a foil lined sheet pan instead and toss them with olive oil to finish roasting for the last bit, to preserve the chicken fat for sautéing a bunch of greens, garlic, and onion with a squeeze of lemon juice.

This is one of my favorite applications of spring nettles, which I blanch in the leftover potato water and then saute on the stove in the skillet after pulling the chicken out to rest on a plate. If your greens are juicy like nettles, or if you add some broth or blanching water, you can serve this with a chunk of crusty bread for soaking up the incredibly rich juices from the plate. Adding the potatoes, greens, and bread makes it 20 to 30 minutes of work instead of five, but it’s easy work and makes lots of leftovers, and it will impress the pants off surprise dinner guests.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

JoshGuitar posted:

Try skipping the flip sometime. That’s a big pain in the rear end and imo it’s plenty good without bothering

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Diced chicken thighs fried with garlic, finish with sriracha, oyster sauce, and spring onions. Will tolerate pretty much any skill level and cooking time.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Cheese could have been more melty, but it hit the spot

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Classic. Precise. Exquisite.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

BBQ Dave posted:

I got the recipe thanks! I'm totally doing this soon!

Tell me more about the sauces and accouterments in the picture!

Question for everyone: so what's good to serve with this? Steamed white rice and braised bok choy?

I think steamed rice and a veggie side like that is a good pairing to balance it because the pork is so fatty and rich. I did mine with rice and some mushrooms cooked with garlic and soy sauce but I think I would do a green like bok choy instead next time. I think this would also be great in a bao with some cucumber, carrot and radish pickles

I’ll try and remember what the sauce was, I recall it was mostly hoisin and scallions

Dacap fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 1, 2023

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
braised some chicken

made some schmaltz

made mushroom gravy with a schmaltz roux

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
gently caress. Yes.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

A NY strip I got with my local farm share ended up being butchered for two.

So double the steak dinner for me!

Really enjoying chilling the steaks after the puddle and searing in a lower heat in butter. Butter ends up browned by the time the steaks are finished being seared and you can unceremoniously dump it on top because, you know, brown butter.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Professor Wayne posted:

Cheese could have been more melty, but it hit the spot

Can't beat it! We make our grilled cheese with sliced apple & shallot, thinly sliced and sauteed.

Yours look prettier tho!

Chicken Alfredo! I like this guy's recipe/technique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOS0vitCku4

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Poulet Marengo, cus we're on a :france: kick

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Cripes. Congratulations on making UK pricing look good, they look to be £10.95 for 10 (so £21.90 for 20 or about $27) at Wingstop here (tax is always included by default). This is East London mind so there are about a billion independent chicken shops who'll do them for cheaper.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 10, 2023

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Diet Crack posted:

$7.88 for wings? Jesus

I uh how is life back in 1950? :shobon:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

you're right I had the AUD conversion on the mind

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

This cookbook is from 1979, I know chicken breasts were smaller back then but I halved four chicken breasts, not six and this huge pan was jam packed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Chicken teriyaki: