Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Another Bill posted:

All those people who had the news before it broke are greedy sycophants who know their net worth is about to take a substantial hit. Nobody wants to be the last person running for the exits.

e: Also, they're in the journalism business.

They're also very stupid and grieving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Another Bill posted:

e: Also, they're in the journalism business.

I don't think anyone on the plane really cares enough about journalism to leak this themselves. Tom and Kerry certainly don't give a poo poo if ATN gets scooped on the news, and Tom's like head of broadcasting or something along those lines.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

It sucks that Logan Roy died before Rupert Murdoch did.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Can only find a crappy quality screen grab, but I loved this shot

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Scissorfighter posted:

It sucks that Logan Roy died before Rupert Murdoch did.

sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction.

that said, Karl should of pulled a weekend at bernies getting off the plane.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah, that hits different when you’ve been through sudden parent death. The thing that got me most was the disordered thinking - you just can’t get your bearings and think or talk straight. I’m on just starting S3 of BCS and enjoying it but unless it like, doubles in quality at least, Succession is on track to be Best Ever Show for me.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

PostNouveau posted:

I don't think anyone on the plane really cares enough about journalism to leak this themselves. Tom and Kerry certainly don't give a poo poo if ATN gets scooped on the news, and Tom's like head of broadcasting or something along those lines.

Think about the wedding. All the children are scurrying around with teary eyes and having weird hushed tone conversations. Gregg takes a call from Tom where he's told Logan is dead in front of a journalism major. Logan is nowhere to be seen. The plane is turning back. Billions of dollars are at stake. It wouldn't take a genius to figure out something was up, at least enough to start dipping the stock price.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Another Bill posted:

Think about the wedding. All the children are scurrying around with teary eyes and having weird hushed tone conversations. Gregg takes a call from Tom where he's told Logan is dead in front of a journalism major. Logan is nowhere to be seen. The plane is turning back. Billions of dollars are at stake. It wouldn't take a genius to figure out something was up.

Yeah, I don't think it's going to be a big question going forward about who leaked it because there's no way they were going to bottle it up for very long.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

opengl posted:

If this isn't the submission episode for best cinematography for the Emmys, then they have absolutely missed a trick. (Assuming that none of the next six episodes top it.)

Nthing the comments that this gets about as close as you can get to sudden death irl. When my paternal grandfather died, I have this very visceral memory of my dad just sitting on the stairs in quiet for a few minutes and not knowing what the gently caress I was going to do, because I'd never seen him like that before. Everyone did a fantastic job, but Strong/Snook/Culkin/Macfadyen absolutely knocked it out of the park and all showing different reactions to and ways of processing it.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
That was a great shot. Not sure if this got posted yet, but they talk more about the episode here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSm-4kCs3I4

Was interesting learning about the thoughts behind how they shot the long take and how they framed everything in a certain, voyeuristic way.

What's with HBO and Episode 3 this year? Between this and The Last Of Us, i'm not sure which episode is gonna win the Emmy. Obviously HBO always goes hard, and the year is still pretty early. There are some good shows on the slate, but it's hard not to think either this episode or TLOU wins. Jesse Armstrong is 3 for 3 so far on winning, I kinda got give him the sweep. Winning the Emmy for writing for every single season of Succession would be justice.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Emmys love awarding a final season of a major drama, so Succession should beat TLOU easily. Also not sure if their voters are going to feel that the zombie video game show is a step too lowbrow for them.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

opengl posted:

I was kind of surprised about this after it seemed like they were agreeing to cancel

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t think The Last of Us is a real competitor at the Emmys despite it being very enjoyable. But this show will be up against The House of Dragons, which had some stellar knockout performances. Either way the acting awards are HBO’s to lose. Glad to somehow still be in this golden loving era of television.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Jakabite posted:

Yeah, that hits different when you’ve been through sudden parent death. The thing that got me most was the disordered thinking - you just can’t get your bearings and think or talk straight. I’m on just starting S3 of BCS and enjoying it but unless it like, doubles in quality at least, Succession is on track to be Best Ever Show for me.

That’s because this show is a lot better than BCS. At least I think so. I stopped watching BCS after the season you’re currently on, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
God dam I love this show, god damnit i love it.

Question: how the kids don't really hold any positions in the company anymore, right? How much does that matter? I know they still hold their shares so they have power on the board, and who knows where Logan's will go when he dies.

Now we're gonna see a power struggle between that old guard that actually managed the functioning of the business, Karl, Frank and Gerri (I'm assuming her firing didn't actually...take place) and the kids, who "aren't serious people." Plus Tom, who's adrift, and who was always going to be adrift after his break up with Shiv. That was the ultimate pyrrhic victory for Tom, getting revenge on Shiv and reasserting himself, but he was only anyone to Logan because of his connection to Shiv. He is absolutely gonna make a play and get cut down.

I hope we see Marcia this season. Her absence is really felt.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
That's why I specifically mentioned TLOU Episode 3, because apparently its awarded for a single episode? There is some crazy good stuff still to come out this year though. But Game of Thrones did win for a few years there.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Frank hitting the wall when Kendall insisted that the pilots could talk felt so real

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Mike N Eich posted:

God dam I love this show, god damnit i love it.

Question: how the kids don't really hold any positions in the company anymore, right? How much does that matter? I know they still hold their shares so they have power on the board, and who knows where Logan's will go when he dies.

Now we're gonna see a power struggle between that old guard that actually managed the functioning of the business, Karl, Frank and Gerri (I'm assuming her firing didn't actually...take place) and the kids, who "aren't serious people." Plus Tom, who's adrift, and who was always going to be adrift after his break up with Shiv. That was the ultimate pyrrhic victory for Tom, getting revenge on Shiv and reasserting himself, but he was only anyone to Logan because of his connection to Shiv. He is absolutely gonna make a play and get cut down.

I hope we see Marcia this season. Her absence is really felt.

They just have a bunch of shares and will presumably get more unless Logan wrote them out of the will. Plus they have the Roy last name and for some reason lasts name go a long way. They could potentially have enough to do whatever they want, so all of the old guard are gonna be posturing for position.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Emmys love awarding a final season of a major drama, so Succession should beat TLOU easily. Also not sure if their voters are going to feel that the zombie video game show is a step too lowbrow for them.

They might at least squeeze out a win of some kind for guest actor for the Bill episode, but yeah succession probably is a gimme this year

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ShowTime posted:

That's why I specifically mentioned TLOU Episode 3, because apparently its awarded for a single episode? There is some crazy good stuff still to come out this year though. But Game of Thrones did win for a few years there.

Most Emmy categories are based on a single episode for consideration but I think the broad Best Drama and Best Comedy ones are not. I could be wrong though. They'll definitely submit that one for writing.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

For those who haven't seen the next episode preview, Karl lays some verbal smackdown and it's delicious.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

theCalamity posted:

Frank hitting the wall when Kendall insisted that the pilots could talk felt so real

This was a highlight for sure, then just calmly "He can't talk to you right now son. He's flying the plane."

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

glassyalabolas posted:

For those who haven't seen the next episode preview, Karl lays some verbal smackdown and it's delicious.

I'm really excited to see gerri, karl, and frank throwdown

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Vegetable posted:

I don’t think The Last of Us is a real competitor at the Emmys despite it being very enjoyable. But this show will be up against The House of Dragons, which had some stellar knockout performances. Either way the acting awards are HBO’s to lose. Glad to somehow still be in this golden loving era of television.

I honestly could see Bella Ramsey winning best actress. Snook's nods in the past have been for best supporting actress, but given the direction of this season I could see her go for just best actress this time around. Pascal could get an acting nod (will for sure not win but a nod is a nod) and I could see Offerman get the guest actor nod, along with TLOU getting a best drama nod. Best chance of winning out of those would be Offerman I guess.

To be honest I would be fine with Ramsey (which would be justice for how much hate she got when she was announced) , Snook, or D’Arcy winning. Going by pre-nomination predictions, I just don't think Moss deserves to win again (who I love but come on) or Lynskey (who I also love but her performance doesn't come to close to the 3 I mentioned winning).

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
When the episode started I noticed Jesse Armstrong credited as the writer and knew poo poo was going to go down but I assumed it would be standard Roy wedding drama not THAT

I remember when I lost my wife the feeling in the pit of my stomach. I've only experienced that twice when watching dramatic depictions of death - this episode and "The Body." It was a great episode but so emotionally draining that I"m not sure I'll ever watch it again.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

I'm really excited to see gerri, karl, and frank throwdown

Yeah, I think the three of them team up to battle the usurpers. On the side, Karolina and Hugo are wearily eyeballing each other.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I wonder how much Kerry is just gonna be tossed aside and treated as a joke now. Maybe she got something big in the will.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'm not really sure what most of them can do. Of them, only Frank is on the board I think. Stewy and Sandy probably still wanna sell and are gonna go with whoever will do that. I imagine that now all the kids wanna take a shot at leading now that a spot is open, so it's probably pretty split down the middle on the board. It's like Frank, Stewy and Sandy vs Kendall, Shiv and Roman. There are some other members, like Ewan is still alive and on the board, right?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ShowTime posted:

I'm not really sure what most of them can do. Of them, only Frank is on the board I think. Stewy and Sandy probably still wanna sell and are gonna go with whoever will do that. I imagine that now all the kids wanna take a shot at leading now that a spot is open, so it's probably pretty split down the middle on the board. It's like Frank, Stewy and Sandy vs Kendall, Shiv and Roman. There are some other members, like Ewan is still alive and on the board, right?

Is Lawrence still on the board? He hates Kendall for gutting Vaulter in Season 2.

Sandy is represented by his daughter, who doesn't hate the Roys as viscerally as Sandy does and may be willing to take control of her barely-functional father's empire and chart her own course. She made the deal in Season 3 with Shiv for more board seats.

The kids' mother, who already got paid off in an agreement with Logan to back the sale but maybe that's void now? Or it's already been executed and probably without a contract so she got hers and is free to get back in the kids' good graces because there is no Logan to punish her anymore.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 10, 2023

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Most Emmy categories are based on a single episode for consideration but I think the broad Best Drama and Best Comedy ones are not. I could be wrong though. They'll definitely submit that one for writing.

Yeah this is correct. Writing, directing, other technical stuff as well as performances are all based on a single episode (with, I believe, the performers choosing which episode to submit for themselves) but the broader drama/comedy/miniseries categories are based on the whole body of work that aired within the eligibility period.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

I've only seen the process on animated shows, but pretty sure the major categories all use an individual episode. The studios may submit actors (lead,guest, support) for different episodes than what was submitted for the main category/writing.

Also it doesn't matter because the voters usually get like a whole season or the better part of one to watch for the shows really gunning for a win.

Edit: yeah I don't know the rules for live action, but animated season of a TV series is judged off a single episode

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

just thinking this morning that if you die in a washroom without a tub/shower then almost everyone will assume you died making GBS threads, even if you’re a king or titan or whatever. logan’s beleaguered ticker likely expired while he was wringing piss out of his octogenarian dick but prevalent thread assumption is that he went out on and out of his rear end

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

If it's good enough for Elvis, whom among us can say we deserve better

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

theCalamity posted:

Kendall going through all the options in his mind, realizing that he’s completely unprepared to give orders and just saying “Do It Right” was the best moment of the episode, a perfect summation of how useless his business leadership skills are but also how he needed to feel like he was doing something even if it’s giving the dumbest most obvious order

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Succession is a better show than HOTD, but the actor who played Viserys should win the Emmy for best actor in a drama. If they judge Emmys on a single episode, nothing is going to top that performance from episode 8 of HOTD.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

TyrantWD posted:

Succession is a better show than HOTD, but the actor who played Viserys should win the Emmy for best actor in a drama. If they judge Emmys on a single episode, nothing is going to top that performance from episode 8 of HOTD.

Yeah, that single performance will be tough to beat.

The biggest tragedy is that I usually watch Succession on Monday nights but I caved last night when I started seeing "OMG" reactions.

Now, I have nothing to watch tonight. :mad:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Hughmoris posted:

The biggest tragedy is that I usually watch Succession on Monday nights but I caved last night when I started seeing "OMG" reactions.

If you’re looking for another show about three weirdos trying to jockey for position to take over from an old shithead, Blake Shelton’s last season of the Voice is on Monday nights

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Hughmoris posted:

Perry Mason bitch!!!

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

Monday night is Perry Mason night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Great article on how the Emmy acting noms might pan out: https://variety.com/2023/awards/awards/brian-cox-kieran-culkin-sarah-snook-succession-emmy-submissions-1235574006/

Wild that Cox could go for lead, supporting or even guest, based on his current screentime.

A lot will obviously depend on how the rest of the season goes. I doubt there are any flashbacks coming up. Short of a coffin scene I think that’s it for Cox. Supporting Actor is probably the better fit based on screen time imo.