Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Is this for all of EoE or is this for just the opening scene? :smug:

Both really.

I didn't think this was going to affect me so much but God it got under my skin (gendoh pun intended) and really messed up my brain. I've seen the ideon movies but I think the thing that unnerved me the most was The main bridge crew freaking out during the goo phase, the voice work really sold it.

I'm glad it's wrapped up but I'm a need a minute before jumping into the rebuilds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AKDWqMC2nQ

Someone took a sad sing and made it better.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Im just over here hanging out with my OG ADV Perfect Collection and the 3 rando Blu Rays for the Rebuilds. I also want a physical release of 3.0+1.0 FOR COMPLETIONS SAKE.

gkids announced it but no news since.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm glad it's wrapped up but I'm a need a minute before jumping into the rebuilds.

Always a good time to repost the n64 version of komm susser todd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7T1SVnXYsk

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That song should have a content warning for emotional violence. That whole sequence in the film is a massive trip.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

great time for my favorite bit of evangelion trivia, that in the original run of EoE the movie just ends after "Kimochi warui" without any credits roll or music. Movie's over! get the gently caress out!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

what's the verdict after the decades with the last few episodes running out of time and/or money and the animation went into a nosedive.

still cringe, or now unintended genius

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A creative way to try and salvage colossal financial mismanagement that hits more often than it fails.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
verdict: the ending is incredible and some of the best anime ever made

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

great time for my favorite bit of evangelion trivia, that in the original run of EoE the movie just ends after "Kimochi warui" without any credits roll or music. Movie's over! get the gently caress out!

it still does, the credits are in the middle

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I honestly preferred the anime ending to EoE.

Only animation thing which bugged m in NGE was the infamous elevator of nothing happening.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

loved the elevator

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

GateOfD posted:

what's the verdict after the decades with the last few episodes running out of time and/or money and the animation went into a nosedive.

still cringe, or now unintended genius

I don't believe whatever Anno originally planned to do could have ever worked as well as what he did

plus "leave em wanting more" is how you get the demand and the budget and the psychic trauma to do EoE

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 23, 2023

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

NikkolasKing posted:

I honestly preferred the anime ending to EoE.

Only animation thing which bugged m in NGE was the infamous elevator of nothing happening.

The TV show ending and the film ending are just two sides of the same coin, so it works better having both of them exist and serve as complimentary pieces to each other.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
In light of the Rebuilds, I treat the anime ending and EoE as separate cycles of the story. The series ending is one in which Shinji has so little agency that Third Impact happened without him even being aware of it.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Arc Hammer posted:

That song should have a content warning for emotional violence. That whole sequence in the film is a massive trip.

I tell you what, listening to that song on repeat while your tits deep in a depressive episode is a poor idea and I do not recommend it :shepface:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

shame on an IGA posted:

it still does, the credits are in the middle

If I recall, at least some of the home video releases have a secondary credits roll after the beach scene.

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

Jesus christ.

bartkusa posted:

Congratulations

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Was inspired by the above mashup to throw one of my old ones on youtube for funsies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgeH8d_ldCM

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Big Leg posted:

verdict: the ending is incredible and some of the best anime ever made

Absolutely.

And the elevator scene was also genius.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

EoE is so good

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Kingtheninja posted:

Both really.

I didn't think this was going to affect me so much but God it got under my skin (gendoh pun intended) and really messed up my brain. I've seen the ideon movies but I think the thing that unnerved me the most was The main bridge crew freaking out during the goo phase, the voice work really sold it.

Give yourself some time before diving into the Rebuilds, IMO. They absolutely are meant to be viewed with some psychological distance separating them from the original run.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Yeah I took a solid couple of months before going into the Rebuilds.

But I also ended up watching NGE/EoE and the rebuilds like 4 times in the span of 6 months introducing them to people and watching with them

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Happy Landfill posted:

I tell you what, listening to that song on repeat while your tits deep in a depressive episode is a poor idea and I do not recommend it :shepface:

I have very strong reactions to music especially when it is tied to traumatic or emotionally charged moments. It's hard to get much more emotionally charged than the end of the loving world. It's that mix of abject loving terror, desperation and elation at seeing everything collapse into a giant mess of animation, death and the sheer assault on the stimuli that makes it so hard to watch or even listen to in isolation.

And that feedback loop of every girl in Shinji's life berating him and beating down his self worth at the end before it cuts to the empty theater is, well, personally rather harrowing. I've had those voices too, even if they aren't real. Depression is a bitch.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Cephas posted:

Give yourself some time before diving into the Rebuilds, IMO. They absolutely are meant to be viewed with some psychological distance separating them from the original run.

+1. If the Rebuilds are responding to what the series and EoE were saying, then it seems worthwhile to take time and parse what they’re saying before moving forward.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Happy Landfill posted:

I’m glad you made it through that because :stare:

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
This rewatch has made me want to watch EoE again, the second half of that movie is almost certainly my favourite 40 minutes in film history

The whole komm Susser Todd sequence is pure perfection. Does it get any better.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only thing I can think of close to it is the ending to the Rintaro directed Metropolis but that doesn't have the the weight of 'the rest of Evangelion' emotional impact behind it.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Does anyone know where I can find a scan of this old EoE poster? Apparently it's from 1997. I'm only able to find camera pics from very expensive eBay listings.

This old poster is cool too

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Those rock so hard

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Well the first is a Death and Rebirth poster for a start, which might be as early as late 1996.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I'm on episode 10 after not having watched the show since maybe 1999/2000.

Getting more out of it now than I did as a teen

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

RubberLuffy posted:

I'm on episode 10 after not having watched the show since maybe 1999/2000.

Getting more out of it now than I did as a teen

Honestly probably impossible not to

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Ok I'm done. On to EoE.

"Congratulations" yeah thanks.

definitely have a higher opinion of things now compared to what I've thought the past 20-ish years based on my first viewing.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Do you think shinji is still a weenie

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

GateOfD posted:

Do you think shinji is still a weenie

Honestly, after having over 20 years more life experience, learning and coping and dealing with my mental illness and experiencing frequent bouts of near crippling anxiety, I empathize with Shiny more now. I really get it.

When I was 14-ish, it was all wow cool imagery, wow big robots, man up Shinji, what a baby.

Over halfway done with EoE now and like...I get it. There's still a lot of "wow, cool images", but I get it. Kinda. Reading the wiki for the series a few months back is helping.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RubberLuffy posted:

Honestly, after having over 20 years more life experience, learning and coping and dealing with my mental illness and experiencing frequent bouts of near crippling anxiety, I empathize with Shiny more now. I really get it.

When I was 14-ish, it was all wow cool imagery, wow big robots, man up Shinji, what a baby.

Over halfway done with EoE now and like...I get it. There's still a lot of "wow, cool images", but I get it. Kinda. Reading the wiki for the series a few months back is helping.

This may be the first time in recorded history the evageeks wiki helped anyone.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think even the first time I saw it when I was young I was like stfu dad don’t force me to drive this big fuckin Buick that will probably kill me if I don’t wanna. There’s like plenty other child soldiers you can conscript fuckface.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

I think even the first time I saw it when I was young I was like stfu dad don’t force me to drive this big fuckin Buick that will probably kill me if I don’t wanna. There’s like plenty other child soldiers you can conscript fuckface.

Of course, the first time Shinji's dad went "Okay, I will. Toss the severely injured girl back into the death machine!"

Shinji's never been dealt an easy hand vis a vis moral choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Midjack posted:

This may be the first time in recorded history the evageeks wiki helped anyone.

Evageeks > fandom