Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I thought disparagement had to be untrue, though, so allowing it now might not actually provide any useful gossip?

Like, now, instead of saying "Experts Exchange is run by clowns", now I can say "Experts Exchange is run by literal clowns".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

CPColin posted:

I thought disparagement had to be untrue, though, so allowing it now might not actually provide any useful gossip?

Like, now, instead of saying "Experts Exchange is run by clowns", now I can say "Experts Exchange is run by literal clowns".

not necessarily. in this context* there's no real legal definition of the term so a commonly held definition (i.e. "something bad about something") is usually used in general. an agreement almost always defines what that means specifically because otherwise it can be voided for being too vague though

*there used to be a specific definition in trademark law that specified it was (in essence) an untrue statement of disrepute but that was struck down in 2017: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matal_v._Tam

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Well my severance agreement doesn't define it! It does carve out an exception in case I'm compelled to testify against the company lol

Who wants gossip about Experts Exchange then? (nobody)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the most shocking thing I’ve heard about that company is that there were actually good answers behind the paywall.

I’m still skeptical

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If there were any, they weren't answering any questions that I had!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

the chatgpt submission did not work, but it made me realize something. i am mot doing homework projects unless they are compensated. they are just as bad as leetcode roulette. maybe even worse for the effort put into them( i still spent time writing code for the chatgpt submission)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

i am mot doing homework projects unless they are compensated. they are just as bad as leetcode roulette. maybe even worse for the effort put into them( i still spent time writing code for the chatgpt submission)

hell yeah welcome to team achmed

sorry that it didn't work out, though. that always sucks and im not 'hell yeah'-ing it

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

hell yeah welcome to team achmed

sorry that it didn't work out, though. that always sucks and im not 'hell yeah'-ing it

nah it's fine i understood what you were hell yeah'ing.

also at this point i literally have no feeling about rejections. i'm sad i seem to have missed the gravy train though. from my side it look like senior ios positions are drying up.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

KidDynamite posted:

nah it's fine i understood what you were hell yeah'ing.

also at this point i literally have no feeling about rejections. i'm sad i seem to have missed the gravy train though. from my side it look like senior ios positions are drying up.

this poo poo is cyclical, don't worry. just look at all the hype frothing around ai. there's always going to be another dragon for capital to chase. just gotta wait a bit for them to start itching again

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PIZZA.BAT posted:

this poo poo is cyclical, don't worry. just look at all the hype frothing around ai. there's always going to be another dragon for capital to chase. just gotta wait a bit for them to start itching again

did your company survive svb

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Captain Foo posted:

did your company survive svb

yup. turns out our funds were already diversified so if we weren’t made while it would have been a kick in the dick but we would have survived it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yup. turns out our funds were already diversified so if we weren’t made while it would have been a kick in the dick but we would have survived it

:toot:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Got another it was between you and another candidate we went with the other guy but when reqs open we will totally definitely be in touch. This one added an extra kick in the balls with "Oh wow Engineer X never says yes to candidates and he said yes to you".

I'm starting to wonder if that's actually the new go to rejection given I've gotten it so often in my interviewing journey.

loving hell someone just pay me.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I had something similar with 'you were the best to apply but we went with an internal candidate', so I asked if they have anything else and they said you can only apply for one job every six months lmbo.

It was a multinational but not one known to be especially elite.

Thankfully I have a job and had one for a while, even if it does not pay as much as some other places.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i was getting that a lot too, idk if its always bullshit (it certainly feels it though). got hired today by a place that had told me pretty much that all the way back in october, then absolutely nothing until last week

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im still unemployed

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

i was getting that a lot too, idk if its always bullshit (it certainly feels it though). got hired today by a place that had told me pretty much that all the way back in october, then absolutely nothing until last week

i'm glad for you, beef. you've been working super hard on getting something and it's nice that it panned out with lots of benefits. enjoy training though!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

dioxazine posted:

i'm glad for you, beef. you've been working super hard on getting something and it's nice that it panned out with lots of benefits. enjoy training though!

thanks man. i'm just glad i don't have to keep looking now, that was the really rough part. i do pretty well in interviews when i get them

e: and even though i am coincidentally doing computer toucher work again let me just emphasize that "recruiters busting down your door with job offers" is not something that happens to most people in most industries. its rough out there

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 6, 2023

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

PokeJoe posted:

im still unemployed

congratudolances!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PokeJoe posted:

im still unemployed

Beeftweeter posted:

got hired today

rotor posted:

congratudolances!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I’m terminally unemployable. got to the last stage of rounds several times now and I just don’t get picked. it’s so much work ultimately for nothing

I did however land another consulting contract so I guess I’m just freelancing forever

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
ughh I need to enumerate my accomplishments at the job I just got laid off from and update my resume but even with adderall the only thoughts I have are

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Corla Plankun posted:

ughh I need to enumerate my accomplishments at the job I just got laid off from and update my resume but even with adderall the only thoughts I have are

chatgpt that poo poo. it’s great for prompts.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Corla Plankun posted:

this really hosed me pretty hard for a while. i was super depressed so it was really difficult to articulate any accomplishments even when i actually considered any as one (and i'm sure i missed more than a few)

ultravoices posted:

chatgpt that poo poo. it’s great for prompts.

is actually very good advice. use it at least as a springboard — i wouldn't use it verbatim unless you're really in a jam, but i did find it useful for inspiration

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
just did an interview where the candidate was sharing their screen and proceeded to google the question prompt and just paste in the (wrong) answer.

im gonna be giggling about this all day

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it gets pretty unfunny after the third or fourth time

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
ya i tend to avoid doing interviews as much as i can, it gets dire. still I've never had someone do that before and not even paste the right answer like maybe i could have given you points for knowing how to quickly google the right thing but come on

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i've said "idk but i can google it if you want and try to see how i'd attack it" in an interview, but they didn't want and we just talked about something that i knew more about. it was some windows-specific protocol that i'd never messed with but the interviewer knew a ton about

i swear half of interviewing is just knowing when to say "i have no idea but let's do this poo poo anyway" and people love it. or at least, loved it when the market was better

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

bob dobbs is dead posted:

it gets pretty unfunny after the third or fourth time

tell me about it. i'm doing interviews for a technical role where we make it clear that we're expecting someone senior who's going to have to be able to operate on their own in pretty demanding environments and half the candidates answered 'not very' when i just point blank asked how technical they were. like come on man i understand poo poo's hard right now but why are you wasting your own time let alone ours with this poo poo?

one of them would straight up answer, 'oh i just had our tech guy do that' to even my softball questions. THIS IS A TECHNICAL ROLE! WE MADE IT REALLY CLEAR IN THE POSTING THAT THIS WAS VERY TECHNICAL!! gently caress

of the remaining half there were a couple that definitely had the gumption and are just talking to us at the wrong time. they'd be excellent hires a year from now when we've managed to put out the fires and have the time to mentor them, but that's not now, sadly.

two candidates though had that dead look in their eye from the beginning that i knew they'd be perfect. they've seen the real poo poo and weren't scared. production servers on fire off the shoulder of Q3. load balancers glitter in the dark against aws-east-1. etc etc

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

like it's incredible how many people don't understand the fundamental concept that you can walk away from an interview. when they ask you, 'how does this sound?' when they give you the pitch, it's ok to say no! you can even ask if we have other positions open, which we do!!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i understand interviewing for the sake of it but jesus at least try to interview for jobs that at least meet where you're at a bit. sitting there for a half an hour to an hour going, 'idk lol' is not good practice!

sorry for venting but i've been insanely busy these past few weeks and having to take time out of my day to field these interviews was really frustrating

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

we're trying to hire for a couple pretty senior technical roles at a small (just over 20 people) seed stage startup. recently interviewed a dude who had python and golang listed on their resume, but seemed to struggle to talk about either. i'd pretty much already written off the interview when we got to his questions, the first and only of which was "what is your training budget so that i can learn python and golang to become effective"

had another where we talked about their most memorable but that made it to prod, and was told he knew the code was going to fail, but pushed it anyway because the bug was someone else's fault

people suck

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i understand interviewing for the sake of it but jesus at least try to interview for jobs that at least meet where you're at a bit. sitting there for a half an hour to an hour going, 'idk lol' is not good practice!

sorry for venting but i've been insanely busy these past few weeks and having to take time out of my day to field these interviews was really frustrating

the good interviewees get an offer immediately, the ok interviewees get one after like 5, the poo poo interviewees do 100 and dont get an offer. so out of 106, you get 100 poo poo ones

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

one of them would straight up answer, 'oh i just had our tech guy do that' to even my softball questions. THIS IS A TECHNICAL ROLE! WE MADE IT REALLY CLEAR IN THE POSTING THAT THIS WAS VERY TECHNICAL!! gently caress

the only time I tried to convince my job not to hire someone was basically this. the guy clearly had lots of experience, he had been a senior engineer longer than I had been alive, but he clearly hadn’t been in the trenches doing real work in a long time.

he had a decent idea about overall architecture type decisions, but he struggled with the detailed technical questions. when I asked him about a problem he would be expected to solve on a day to day basis, his response was a condescending “well, I have people for that”

management loved him, he got brought onboard as a contractor for like 3 months, then after struggling to accomplish the bare minimum he was quietly walked out.

it’s a mystery why people like that try to go back when their skills have atrophied to almost zero

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

because they have to, and they don't realize how much their skills have atrophied. if i got laid off tomorrow id start applying for everything even though these days i write less than a hundred lines of code a month

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I had one of those "been a lead too long" types once. We should have declined to bring them in for an interview simply because they submitted a six-page resume.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Raluek posted:

the only time I tried to convince my job not to hire someone was basically this. the guy clearly had lots of experience, he had been a senior engineer longer than I had been alive, but he clearly hadn’t been in the trenches doing real work in a long time.

he had a decent idea about overall architecture type decisions, but he struggled with the detailed technical questions. when I asked him about a problem he would be expected to solve on a day to day basis, his response was a condescending “well, I have people for that”

management loved him, he got brought onboard as a contractor for like 3 months, then after struggling to accomplish the bare minimum he was quietly walked out.

it’s a mystery why people like that try to go back when their skills have atrophied to almost zero

we hired a guy who was, and this is a direct quote, "as close to Coding Jesus as we can afford" and he had been at Sun for so long (20+ years) that he was incapable of doing anything without all the internal Sun tools he'd gotten used to. He lasted i think 4 months.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
always happens w them whole-career megacorp peeps

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ugh I came in on my day off to help with the workload and then got told off for having my lunch break too late (because I was busy working helping out)

like why tf even care when I take it, can’t they trust me to take it when it’s most appropriate for the workload?

and now I want a new job. tired of micromanagement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
pharmacy does really seem to have that weird combo of "if you gently caress up peeps die" and "retail dog poo poo management", doesnt it