Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

cuba libre is such a shameful cocktail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
mojitos tho

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
My mom was fairly convinced that Havana Syndrome was caused by some secret Russian or Chinese weapon because she saw a thing about in on CBS News and the Today Show. That poo poo was as mainstream as it comes.

I don't believe that it exists for the simple reason that anyone holding one would immediately use it to blast their own mind as clean as a sheet of new paper.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

an actual dog posted:

most of the traffic these accounts get from twitter are gonna come from other people linking to articles, doubt the official accounts we're doing much

yeah but even counting all of that it’s tiny, so if Elon flips out and blocks npr.org links the way he did with substack it’s still a minimal loss

zuck could wreck some stuff, though

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Shear Modulus posted:

how many articles has npr run on havana syndrome

we innocent stenographers aren't state affiliated i swear

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

mawarannahr posted:

It is however a great book and a major influence on RDR2 if that's your jam

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

mawarannahr posted:

Rum + Coke is for someone with a sweeter tooth than I have.

Gin + Tonic is the superior cocktail.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
just like with brainwashing, the fact that we're accusing our enemies of doing it means we're totally trying to make it work

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Clark Nova posted:

goddamn I didn't think it was possible for a major media organization to get so completely and thoroughly owned by elon loving musk

:hai:

Goddamn, y'all sucking Musk's weird little dick pretty hard

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Rum + Coke is for someone with a sweeter tooth than I have.

Gin + Tonic is the superior cocktail.

The lime juice is an important aspect of the Cuba Libre cause it helps cut the sweetness

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Cuba Libre is awesome, but only if it's actually hot outside.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
speaking of Cuba - the whole state affiliated thing drives me crazy because if I were to imagine a news media that I could trust almost undoubtedly it would be free and publicly funded

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

the milk machine posted:

oh gosh I hope he’s ok

Glenn's alright.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

BrotherJayne posted:

Goddamn, y'all sucking Musk's weird little dick pretty hard

eh, it was funnier a week ago :shrug:

https://twitter.com/gbrumfiel/status/1646142743628972032

I can't leave twitter because the CIA disinformation campaigns are integral to my work as a journalist :angel:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

this is revisionism it was an ice axe

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1646540130730098690

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

comedyblissoption posted:

there were no verification problems when discussing items like the steele dossier, russiagate gossip, or claims that the nypost story was the work of russian operatives, so no that was not actually the reason

the steele dossier didn't need to be verified because every human knows on a deep and primal level that the piss tape is real. you're not even learning it from the dossier, you knew it from the moment you were born.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
it's like the plot of Foucault's Pendulum, sure he cynically made it up but before he knew it he ended up locked in a garish hotel room watching the gold flow from Eldritch Trump

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Stop Asking Whether Money Buys Happiness. The Atlantic.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I only read the paywall prologue, but let me tell you that money is a great tool for helping others, if that’s what brings you happiness.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
IIRC money does buy happiness up to a point and that point is essentially where people feel they have enough money to be financially secure and have their material needs met and then beyond that point it doesn’t really move the needle much.

surprising I know

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

that guys name is Michael Mechanic. lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

IIRC money does buy happiness up to a point and that point is essentially where people feel they have enough money to be financially secure and have their material needs met and then beyond that point it doesn’t really move the needle much.

surprising I know

This is a lie to keep people from asking for raises. Money buys all the happiness. You don't even have to work at a certain point.

They lie about lottery winners too. Very few of them go bankrupt and most of them are way way happier than before they won.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

christmas boots posted:

surprising I know

Yes and we need to keep a certain percentage of our population below that number so the rest can live in fear of becoming like them at all times. And so Elon Musk can buy a major communication platform on a bender

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

that guys name is Michael Mechanic. lol

stop asking why this oil change costs $500, by michael mechanic

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Money buys you freedom from things that make you unhappy. Unfortunately a lot of people invent problems once they run out of their own. Money can buy solutions to those too and after a few cycles of that, well it kind of explains rich people

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

PostNouveau posted:

This is a lie to keep people from asking for raises. Money buys all the happiness. You don't even have to work at a certain point.

They lie about lottery winners too. Very few of them go bankrupt and most of them are way way happier than before they won.

See, this is where I sort of disagree. I mean, obviously, you need money for food, shelter, healthcare, etc. And a lot of the things that I think do make people happy, hobbies and experiences and such, you need money to take advantage of those. And then there's the security of a safety net; if you couldn't work anymore, would you have enough money for all of those other things? All of that requires money, so I'm not here saying that you shouldn't ask for a raise or that people trying to earn more money aren't enlightened or anything dumb like that. Money is nice to have, and I think we all agree on that.

But the money itself isn't what makes people happy. And there's a certain threshold -- I don't know offhand what the number is. I've seen the studies that put it as low as $75k, but I'm not convinced--where your money isn't really affording you more security or more freedom in your life. Beyond that, it's just the disease of capitalism telling you that you need more money so you can buy more expensive things, and then once you run out of those, you need to earn more money just to make the number go up. And I think that's why you see so many rich people who are simply miserable because they've fallen for the trap that is thinking that the money itself is going to make them happier.

Or to put it succinctly:

Acelerion posted:

Money buys you freedom from things that make you unhappy. Unfortunately a lot of people invent problems once they run out of their own. Money can buy solutions to those too and after a few cycles of that, well it kind of explains rich people

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

when you have too much money you lose your humanity

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
We should study what things actually make you happy and monetize them more.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

YaketySass posted:

We should study what things actually make you happy and monetize them more.

That's arguably the purpose of social media

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/1646501342154838018?s=20

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if that’s what the economist the saying, America’s in for big trouble

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The theory is that once you reach $[comfortable plateau], you can buy anything you want. However, once you're standing on that plateau your wants can expand to what people upslope of you have. Two cars, a house, retirement paid for, kids' college funds? But why don't I have a lake house?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/schwarz/status/1645898119597498368?cxt=HHwWgIC9sdLns9ctAAAA

Lol

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

It's so great nobody in my generation can buy a house

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
that article says some dumbass economists found the happiness effect of quadrupling a person's income was roughly the same as "having a weekend" and less significant in an absolute sense than "having a headache"

there is just no way that's true for any kind of person that works for a living. if that's what your study says then your study is stupid and you should throw it in the trash

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

prosperity gospel is less patronizing than the meek will inherit the earth bullshit

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

the milk machine posted:

that article says some dumbass economists found the happiness effect of quadrupling a person's income was roughly the same as "having a weekend" and less significant in an absolute sense than "having a headache"

there is just no way that's true for any kind of person that works for a living. if that's what your study says then your study is stupid and you should throw it in the trash

As with most of these studies, the effect of the actual impact of money on most people is disguised by the fact that the vast majority of money is totally wasted on people with absolutely zero need for more of it.

Quadrupling a single 100,000/year income achieves next to nothing, but our society is engineered to do that instead of doubling 12 incomes of 25k, which does matter.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

prosperity gospel is less patronizing than the meek will inherit the earth bullshit

Yeah, but see, if you're actually religious, that one is the literal word of God, and prosperity gospel... Isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Meekness is an attitude of being content with both honor and dishonor. It is an imitation of Christ, who said, “Learn from Me, for I am gentle [meek] and lowly in heart” (11:29). The meek are God-controlled and have mastery over their passions, especially anger. Meekness is not passive weakness, but strength directed and under control. The earth that the meek will inherit is not power or possession in this world, but the new earth, which is everlasting (Rev 21:1)