Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

What does Mark have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

CommonShore posted:

"To be real nobody understands quotation" - Marx

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

iSurrender posted:

This is obviously stupid in a number of ways, but I like that the party that hates the southern border gets the entire southern border.

its because that way they only need the one massive wall instead of a 50 times as long new wall to keep out "mexicans" :rolleye:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Source study

"Machiavellianism" per college major.

In layman's terms, the further to the right on this graph, the more likely people in that group are willing to ignore ethics and use cunning and other dirty tricks to get waht they want.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Are those results self-reported?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

dublish posted:

Are those results self-reported?

Usually they assess machiavellianism with a survey of questions like "if you don't take advantage of other people, they will take advantage of you" and "trusting people is foolish"

Which is halfway between self report and being analized

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The paper says: Machiavellianism (i.e., desire for power, status, and social dominance).

This seems to just say that competitive people are more likely to study economics and law than education and social work, and that men are more competitive than women.

Describing the trait as Machiavellian seems oddly loaded for an academic study, as in my experience it's always considered quite negative. Though, according to the study, I guess a non-Machiavellian person would have likely written this article.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Sure it's a well studied trait with established indexes and relationships to things like crime, abuse, and ethics violations, but you feel like it's vague and that's much more important than anything a soft science like social psychology says through experiments and observation.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

lmao at “business” being perfectly neutral

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I don't have a the plot, but a hilarious social psychology presentation I went to had the thesis

"Children who report their parents are hypocritical are far more likely to be inaccurate when reporting what their parent's values* are."

*self-reported

I asked some quesruons after the talk, and the professor was surprisingly unwilling to consider that hypocritical people might say something other than their true values on a survey.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Apr 8, 2023

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Sorry, little Timmy, the study said that you actually fell down a flight of stairs and then ran into a door. Hopefully you learn to be more accurate in the future

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tunicate posted:

I don't have a the plot, but a hilarious social psychology presentation I went to had the thesis

"Children who report their parents are hypocritical are far more likely to be inaccurate when reporting what their parent's values* are."

*self-reported

I asked some quesruons after the talk, and the professor was surprisingly unwilling to consider that hypocritical people might say something other than their true values on a survey.

:lol:

It would presumably be extremely inconvenient to reconsider that if he wants to meet his publication quota.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The popularity of these giant cars is gonna go down in history as one of the stupidest, most preventable issues of the 21st century. The US makes looser vehicle regulations for 'light trucks' in the 1980s or whatever, and this one decision is now dragging down climate change prevention and pushing up child traffic accidents decades later. And they're always annoying to share the road with.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Aside from the field of view, the ever-taller front grills also make pedestrian collisions drastically more dangerous. I got hit a few years back, and since it was a regular car I just took me out at the knees and let me roll over the hood to dissipate some of the energy. Got off with just some contusions and maybe a light concussion when my head bonked the windshield. Meanwhile if it had been some loving F-150, it'd have hit me around chest height and probably would've annihilated my rib cage.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I drive a car in the Camry/CR-V range and you should require a special license to drive above that. Like you need 3+ children to get a minivan and those children need to be 200lbs+ to get an SUV.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Carbon dioxide posted:

Source study

"Machiavellianism" per college major.

In layman's terms, the further to the right on this graph, the more likely people in that group are willing to ignore ethics and use cunning and other dirty tricks to get waht they want.

Not sure about the methodology but it paints the UK as a nightmare ratfucking free for all which is spot on

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Freaquency posted:

lmao at “business” being perfectly neutral

Business is sort of a default major for a lot of people, probably pretty down the middle on a lot of traits as a group.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
yeah speaking from the perspective of someone who teaches gen-ed classes, most college students these days start with business or marketing or something like that, and not because they're necessarily coming from an extremely wealthy background. it's just seen as the safe choice that won't offend any parents. hell, this is even MORE so for students from poorer families or are the first generation to go to college, because they're focused on making money to support the people in their lives.

whether or not these students survive in a business world that rewards nepotism and already having wads of money to throw around is a different story

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Mister Olympus posted:

yeah speaking from the perspective of someone who teaches gen-ed classes, most college students these days start with business or marketing or something like that, and not because they're necessarily coming from an extremely wealthy background. it's just seen as the safe choice that won't offend any parents. hell, this is even MORE so for students from poorer families or are the first generation to go to college, because they're focused on making money to support the people in their lives.

whether or not these students survive in a business world that rewards nepotism and already having wads of money to throw around is a different story

ime having to work significantly with the 'business' parts of a corporation in the past, folks who have business+a real major are more able to hold their own in conversing with the folks who get there by nepotism, and making those folks comfortable offers job security.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Also ime, being forced to work with non computer nerds does good things for CS majors' communication skills.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Perestroika posted:

Aside from the field of view, the ever-taller front grills also make pedestrian collisions drastically more dangerous. I got hit a few years back, and since it was a regular car I just took me out at the knees and let me roll over the hood to dissipate some of the energy. Got off with just some contusions and maybe a light concussion when my head bonked the windshield. Meanwhile if it had been some loving F-150, it'd have hit me around chest height and probably would've annihilated my rib cage.

Could the NHTSA regulate those blind spot distances? Do regulatory agencies in other countries do this?

I just want to see pickup trucks with hilariously sloped hoods.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Could the NHTSA regulate those blind spot distances? Do regulatory agencies in other countries do this?

I just want to see pickup trucks with hilariously sloped hoods.

I feel like this could lead to something like a cow-catcher, but with ground clearance so it just slices up pedestrians instead.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

hooah posted:

I feel like this could lead to something like a cow-catcher, but with ground clearance so it just slices up pedestrians instead.

Carmageddon was a documentary

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/trentag0n/status/1645603912899244033?t=HOSwroQxXgO1mMzAr1Lmqg&s=19

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

Camry owners coming out on top as usual :smuggo:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The Financial Times:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

bertolt rekt posted:

Camry owners coming out on top as usual :smuggo:

Idk sounds like they're least likely to be on top

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Phanatic posted:

The Financial Times:

God is a lot dumber than I would’ve thought

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Phanatic posted:

The Financial Times:

How exactly do they measure progress toward godhood

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Angepain posted:

The more mysterious its ways, the more god-like

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

what kind of god are we talking about? greek/roman? hindu? abrahamaic?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
God Shammgod, who briefly played for the Washington Wizards

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Angepain posted:

I'm also very interested to know what these human values are.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Angepain posted:

You don't have to, and indeed cannot, "measure" the foom.

Their aim is to build an artificial intelligence capable of such exquisite powers of self-analysis that it will design and construct its own successor, which will be armed with superior versions of all the skills the original possessed. The successor will then produce a still more proficient third version, and so on, leading to a cascade of exponentially increasing abilities. Once this process is set in motion, within weeks -- perhaps within hours -- a being of truly God-like powers will emerge.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

It's funny how computing time and power is totally ignored.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Phy posted:

God Shammgod, who briefly played for the Washington Wizards
U-God, of the Wu-Tang Clan

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

what powers? What's it going to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Regarde Aduck posted:

what powers? What's it going to do?

You know... *waves vaguely* godlike stuff. Stuff that, uhh-- oh, I've got it, stuff that our feeble human minds can't imagine! Yeah, that's the angle.