Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No way I look at that is it theft.

I don't see how it is theft at all. It's literally a mechanic built in and not a loophole? If they don't want their poo poo taken maybe not put in a switch that people can flip to leave with your poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
I think they just do the ISK to $ conversion to show how big a heist or battle it was to put it into perspective, right?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

If you play Eve you deserve whatever happens to you

Yes, even you goons

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think it's "theft" within the world of the game, not real world theft.

Slam Pajamas
May 21, 2007
ALL TEXT TITLE ALL-STARS

In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: The baby police, who investigate baby crime, and the baby district attorneys, who prosecute the offenders. These are their stories. :doink:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
And don't forget a baby lawyer, unwinding after a long day of dealing with their clients' doodoo caca

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Slam Pajamas posted:

In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: The baby police, who investigate baby crime, and the baby district attorneys, who prosecute the offenders. These are their stories. :doink:

I imagined the doink doink sound replaced by a pair of squeaks from one of these:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
audio
https://i.imgur.com/isuBRGc.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Upsidads posted:

What's the chance he is in a music video and where is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gDQcFRkLYU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

`Nemesis posted:

EVE Online schad for everyone here:

Two people found a corporation (player group) that had minimally active leadership, and once they joined used an in game mechanic to call a vote for them to replace the existing leadership. The only votes were from themselves and the leadership didn't return in time to block it during the 72 hour waiting period, so it passed.

$22,000 of in game assets were then stolen.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/04/eve-online-player-rigs-in-game-ceo-vote-to-steal-22000-of-assets/

thought i heard my name in here. carry on

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Regy Rusty posted:

I think it's "theft" within the world of the game, not real world theft.

If something comparable happened in the real world it would probably still be theft, an owner being so incredibly negligent as to ignore repeated security alerts doesn't make a thief not a thief (cops and insurance would be real mad at them though). But in the game no rules were broken, no one was deceived, and nothing of real-world value changed hands. It's the sort of thing you take the risk of when signing up for EVE, and I assume there were in-game ways they could have pre-empted this which they failed to use

I mean, it's still "theft" in the sense that you can argue they don't morally deserve it, but CCP is not going to condemn or reverse this because the chance of this sort of thing happening is one of the main draws of the game

The $22,000 number is how much money you would have to pump into the EVE in-game store to duplicate the stolen assets. Officially there is no way to get money back out so realizing their gains is going to be a little tricky and involve some online grey or black markets

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Isn’t it essentially a hostile takeover of a corporation?

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Vitalis Jackson posted:

My friend, have you tried Hamm's? It's made with malted barley, and no rice!

I have and I do like it, and it is locally available (if somewhat rare) but it’s PBR tier to me. Same ranking for Old Style. Rainier is like a half notch above.

I always make a point to try local cheap heritage beers when I travel to different parts of the US. The only one I haven’t liked is Lone Star. That is some nasty poo poo, I’d rather drink steel reserve.

Oh! Another good one: Ballantine’s Ale.

A Ballantine’s on top of Old Speck in Maine:

A Rainier on top of Mt. Si in Washington:

Bonus birb:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
How do you not climb Mt Rainier to drink Rainier?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

Isn’t it essentially a hostile takeover of a corporation?

I guess you could do a hostile takeover with one share if literally no other shareholder voted on your proposal

Kinda curious if EVE offers any other protection features they failed to engage, like a quorum requirement

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Everything I hear about Eve, literally every single news story, is about people getting scammed. It's like yesteryear's crypto, and I can't muster sympathy for people walking into that bear trap.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Jonny Nox posted:

That poster predates the Viper by close to half a decade?

I knew people who had it hanging in their bedroom. none of them managed higher education.

I'm not really sure how you think the Viper came about after that poster, unless you somehow think the latest (2013-2017) model was the first Viper. The Dodge Viper first debuted in 1991. Presumably the poster is from around 2007, 2008.

The blue car in the center is a third or fourth generation Viper. The grey Lamborghini is probably a Reventón from 2007-2009. That Porsche is pre-2010 (lol Porsches all look the exact same), and I don't know Ferraris well enough to ID those two, but I'm sure they're more or less contemporary to the others.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Air Skwirl posted:

there's glaciers and technical climbing and most people have to stay overnight

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Serephina posted:

Everything I hear about Eve, literally every single news story, is about people getting scammed. It's like yesteryear's crypto, and I can't muster sympathy for people walking into that bear trap.

In every battle royale, most people DIE.

Makes u thunk. I wouldn't even play with those odds.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

haveblue posted:

I guess you could do a hostile takeover with one share if literally no other shareholder voted on your proposal

Kinda curious if EVE offers any other protection features they failed to engage, like a quorum requirement

So the issue here is an old mechanic they never fleshed out involving shares. What any informed player would do is the CEO would give themselves ALL shares to prevent this. I assume this corporation had all of its shares unassigned.

The shares system only works as a way to distribute profits. Because the nuance and mechanics of real shares were totally ignored or not designed in the game 20 years ago, you get these stories every few years.

This is a normal tactic for any scammer and it happens all the time. What makes it newsworthy or unique is just how much was taken.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Serephina posted:

My understanding of it is that's the actual game. Complaining about that kinda poo poo is like complaining about someone having perfect memory of a map layout in a pvp shooter.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ArmZ posted:

there's glaciers and technical climbing and most people have to stay overnight

Yeah, I realized I was thinking of St Helen's.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Air Skwirl posted:

You can’t look at Mt. Rainier from Mt. Rainier

getting to the top of Mt. Rainier is a mountaineering expedition, Mt. Si is a hike.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

apparently someone did rainier in less than 4h 15m. :eyepop:

https://fastestknowntime.com/route/mt-rainier-wa

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I realized I was thinking of St Helen's.

That can still work

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

King Carnivore posted:

You can’t look at Mt. Rainier from Mt. Rainier

Yes you can. You just look down at what you're standing on. it would have to be some very harsh weather or you'd have to drink a hell of a lot of beers before you couldn't see the ground beneath your feet.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r6zwj4FK2Y1vmobp0.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r924xeop9s1vmobp0_720.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rt0q8wxsgG1s1ddrj.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rt0q35fGUp1r0uzl6.mp4

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
EVE is several orders less evil and dumb than coinz poo poo because its not burning hydrocarbos for some fuckboy's computer screen number, or a money used for CSAM.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

HAHAHA

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Dick Burglar posted:

I'm not really sure how you think the Viper came about after that poster, unless you somehow think the latest (2013-2017) model was the first Viper. The Dodge Viper first debuted in 1991. Presumably the poster is from around 2007, 2008.

The blue car in the center is a third or fourth generation Viper. The grey Lamborghini is probably a Reventón from 2007-2009. That Porsche is pre-2010 (lol Porsches all look the exact same), and I don't know Ferraris well enough to ID those two, but I'm sure they're more or less contemporary to the others.

It's not the only version of the poster, though. I think it was originally made back in the 80s but was updated for some reason. So the original poster predates the Viper, but obviously the one we are talking about does not because there's a Viper on it. The one I remember might have been this Viperless one: https://www.chairish.com/product/5906983/1980s-justification-for-higher-education-original-framed-poster. Also contains one of the few Porsches that doesn't look exactly like the rest of em.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 14, 2023

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
The version of that poster I had - at least one of the Ferraris was a Testarossa

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I see. Gotta keep updating the same trash concept with the times.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Glottis posted:

this Viperless one

I love milk

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Dick Burglar posted:

I swear I used to be able to identify cars by looking at them.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

Oh yeah going abroad for a car would be entirely beyond my means. I want a cheap reliable beater I can work on and drive. I don't want an expensive rarity that's special and valuable.

Which is why I'm pissed off the best cars for it are being turned into expensive rarities that only rich people who can afford cars as toys can afford. And modern pickups since the 80s only keep getting heavier, fatter and more cumbersome as well as filled with more complex technology.

I drive a 99 Ford Ranger and outside the body work it's the same truck as a Mazda B3000, they are not expensive rarities, they are reliable and they are easy to work on with plentiful parts while not costing fuckin $15k like a good condition 99 Tacoma

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Vitalis Jackson posted:

My friend, have you tried Hamm's? It's made with malted barley, and no rice!

LOVE,
VITALIS

this guy’s been doing this signing posts gimmick for 7 years wtf

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Enderzero posted:

this guy’s been doing this signing posts gimmick for 7 years wtf

Sometimes u gotta sign your posts

https://i.imgur.com/dkpGxiy.mp4

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hamm's just sounds like a terrible name for a beer. I don't want ham-flavoured beer!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Glottis posted:

this Viperless one:

Shameful :nyd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9U_Kd6MyOM

Sentient Data posted:

And don't forget a baby lawyer, unwinding after a long day of dealing with their clients' doodoo caca

Hey

what about

hey, hey

what about a
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYUbO-sfSOg&t=76s

The Lone Badger posted:

Hamm's just sounds like a terrible name for a beer. I don't want ham-flavoured beer!

Counterpoint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Air Skwirl posted:

ehh

Are you seriously going to make me pull this out