Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
If you do a Custom Start, at least the sandbox one allows you to select a Boron as your race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Ignore what was here, I'm dumb.

Ragnar Gunvald fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 13, 2023

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Ignore everything I said, im so stupid. Turns out I also missclicked and did a TOA start rather than the queen herald somehow. gently caress my life.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I like how the game tries and utterly fails to maintain the sense of drama in a sim game-- wandering around the first sector with the Big Mysterty of "Are the boron alive, is this them or something else" while BOR trading ships are already wandering out across the sector

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I like how the game tries and utterly fails to maintain the sense of drama in a sim game-- wandering around the first sector with the Big Mysterty of "Are the boron alive, is this them or something else" while BOR trading ships are already wandering out across the sector

The conga line of ARG ships making its way to boron territory was funny and unexpected.

I feel it is in character as there is a Teladi who joins the expedition to find profits and is just more on the ball than you.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Weird, that didn't happen to me at all. The first trade ships I saw were the scripted ones.

What *was* weird was the BOR Plunderer Phoenix in Great Reef. You're not fooling anyone, buddy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's actual boron pirates too I think. Saw a few boron ships with the plunderer tags.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

My favorite drama is Dal Busta acting like a Sith Lord. Shame they got rid of his giant shoes.

lowwayman
Dec 26, 2009
Did they ever change leveling pilots taking a ridiculously long time or are they still expecting everyone to play for hundreds of hours before getting any npc traders? I love these dumb games but some of the decisions are mad. I hope they changed that but it feels like there has to be one awful intended mechanic for every four things that Egosoft does well.

Did the new patch change the flight mechanics enough that dog fighting with hotas would be fun? How's the new faction streams system in practise? It sounds like it would be fun to watch whenever you're waiting for the money to roll in or something to get built.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

lowwayman posted:

Did they ever change leveling pilots taking a ridiculously long time or are they still expecting everyone to play for hundreds of hours before getting any npc traders? I love these dumb games but some of the decisions are mad. I hope they changed that but it feels like there has to be one awful intended mechanic for every four things that Egosoft does well.

Did the new patch change the flight mechanics enough that dog fighting with hotas would be fun? How's the new faction streams system in practise? It sounds like it would be fun to watch whenever you're waiting for the money to roll in or something to get built.

if you set up some people as autominers they will get to 3 stars sooner or later, and you can get manuals to level skills. There's also missions that reward ships and those usually come with some good leveled personell. Auto traders suck rear end in this game anyways, dont rely on them for money.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
God bless Egosoft for leaving all the abandoned ships unchanged, I love jumpstarting a new save with them.

Edit: Also these new physics changes.. Hmmm. Every gate I go through in an L ship smashes into the gate upon arrival, and when I use non-super highways my ship smashes into the structure at the end of them.

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 13, 2023

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
On the one hand, taking breaks from this game with the mods I have is always fun because the one that adds more sectors always adds like 6 more while I’m away and then half my sectors are backdoored in ways they weren’t before and I have to scramble to re-defend

On the other hand I forgot how fuckshit irritating it is when capships get curbstomped by things they should have been easily able to kill because they still don’t seem to properly prioritize other capships over fighters and get literally distracted to death

the more things change, the more they stay the same

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Would setting the large turrets to only target other capitals help with that, or does that not work OOS?

Random Encounter
Jul 19, 2007
Freeform for life
The left and right most main batteries on the rattlesnake have acquired turret behavior. I'm watching massive pieces of hardware swiveling around, clipping trough the hull, going ham on fighters.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Random Encounter posted:

The left and right most main batteries on the rattlesnake have acquired turret behavior. I'm watching massive pieces of hardware swiveling around, clipping trough the hull, going ham on fighters.

Every now and then when I land I see the front guns on the Nemesis decide to go for a bit of a trip before returning to their normal position.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol guess who moved their entire battle group into the Xenon's last staging ground and didn't notice because they game thought the sixty lovely little fighters were less important than the dozen I and Ks

Guess who lost

:negative:

e: BTW I think the game is saving damage states through save loads so if you fat finger something it may not pay off to reload it

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 13, 2023

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

GaylordButts posted:

Would setting the large turrets to only target other capitals help with that, or does that not work OOS?

I've had the large plasma turrets set to "only target capships" for forever; given the handful of asgards I've lost in the last couple of hours it seems like there's something fucky going on there. (I'm also modded as mentioned so for all I know it's entirely self-inflicted via some weird "helpful" interaction somewhere, but I'm going to complain about it on the internet regardless :colbert:)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's gonna be almost a month until I can have my new PC, and that's despite me skipping ahead of the queue for the 7800X3D.

Has anyone seen, or managed to do, any benchmarks using that CPU?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I went from Ryzen 7 1700 to Ryzen 7 5800X3D and it's a wild difference. I don't have hard numbers, but I haven't dipped below 60fps yet, while I had 30ish before.

The 7800X3D should perform similarly.

I heavily suspect the situation will be similar to this benchmark:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

I went from Ryzen 7 1700 to Ryzen 7 5800X3D and it's a wild difference. I don't have hard numbers, but I haven't dipped below 60fps yet, while I had 30ish before.

The 7800X3D should perform similarly.

I heavily suspect the situation will be similar to this benchmark:

I've seen that benchmark, and while the Dwarf Fortress numbers are similarly bigger, that doesn't mean that X4 will follow suit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think they broke a few OOS calculations too, unless 40 Xenon scouts can really solo battleships now. Their shields can't keep up, somehow :shrug:

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Well I decided to buy it on impulse.

Ai is "better". I've seen no occurrences of destroyers ramming stations, fucky collisions, and the tendency to ram headfirst into things has lessened.
Can confirm, AI can properly use charge-up guns.
The main problem:
Sniper type weapons are hilariously dogshit, both in sector and out of sector.
The Mass Driver, The Boson Lance and the Meson Stream are so hilariously bad and pitiful , that I can thing of no reason why you'd ever want to consider mounting them, on you or your AI.
Am currently trying the Teladi Muon Chargers .

I have also noticed the enemy xenon being slightly more clever, in that space stations will send out drones at massive ranges to intercept what it perceives as an easily killable target, like fighters .
I also realized that one of my previously installed mods was making the game a LOT harder, by having enemy cap ships constantly try and gap close with travel drive, so I'd be in the range of those turrets a lot more .

I can live with the idea that mediums ships will forever be just kinda bad.... and not act like Homeworld frigates, but the next thing I'd want is a weapon overhaul / rebalance.

Sample_text fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 13, 2023

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Random Encounter posted:

Split engineers made great advances in the field in preparation of the Boron menace.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sample_text posted:

Well I decided to buy it on impulse.

Ai is "better". I've seen no occurrences of destroyers ramming stations, fucky collisions, and the tendency to ram headfirst into things has lessened.
Can confirm, AI can properly use charge-up guns.
The main problem:
Sniper type weapons are hilariously dogshit, both in sector and out of sector.
The Mass Driver, The Boson Lance and the Meson Stream are so hilariously bad and pitiful , that I can thing of no reason why you'd ever want to consider mounting them, on you or your AI.
Am currently trying the Teladi Muon Chargers .

I have also noticed the enemy xenon being slightly more clever, in that space stations will send out drones at massive ranges to intercept what it perceives as an easily killable target, like fighters .
I also realized that one of my previously installed mods was making the game a LOT harder, by having enemy cap ships constantly try and gap close with travel drive, so I'd be in the range of those turrets a lot more .

I can live with the idea that mediums ships will forever be just kinda bad.... and not act like Homeworld frigates, but the next thing I'd want is a weapon overhaul / rebalance.

Frigates seem a lot more necessary now, both for OOS calculations for anti-fighter support and also because your destroyers and battleships simply are not going to fight off the fuckstorms that the Xenon will barf at you now (I realized the earlier post wasn't a bug, there was just THAT MANY fighters it stopped counting on the map). I've killed hundreds in the last few hours. What's left of my fleets are holding the line after at Tharka's Crusade XV after taking it back again, and I've kicked them out of Matrix 9 for good. They're gaining ground on Wretched Skies V again and I have nothing left to stop them there so the Split are taking another one for the team. It's great! This is the most engaging it's been since AP and the XRM mod

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 13, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Boron Ray's main beam gun has an *11 kilometer* range. On a beam gun, that also drive stuns capital ships. Lol, also lmao.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The worst thing about this game is coming back after a break, looking at my property list and how my stations are configured, and getting the urge to start over to Do It Right This Time.

It's all self-delusion, I will not Do It Right This Time, and have everything be self-documenting and make sense.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I'm having lots missing npcs - traders & ship sellers (not a big deal on sellers you can menu it) at stations. Super annoying.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

You're still a human on the 2nd start. I've just started it and done the first episode. It's actually a really interesting start but I'm not going to say anything because of spoilers.
Can you clarify a bit in a spoiler? I unlocked the second start and I am definitely Boron for it so I'm not sure I'm missing something.

I don't know how many people care about spoilers in their economic war sim games but I sure don't :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh hey that's an interesting addition:

They added an interdiction turret.

I kinda wish the borons weren't completely isolated in their technology compatibility, you can only put boron stuff on boron ships and borons can't use anything else. I like their designs but I wish I could use their stuff on other ships or vice versa. I get not for everything but literally 100% of their stuff appears to be locked.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Oh hey that's an interesting addition:

They added an interdiction turret.

I kinda wish the borons weren't completely isolated in their technology compatibility, you can only put boron stuff on boron ships and borons can't use anything else. I like their designs but I wish I could use their stuff on other ships or vice versa. I get not for everything but literally 100% of their stuff appears to be locked.

Wait, what about their economy? Is it still running off Commonwealth materials etc. like in previous games, or are they separate entirely now, like the Terrans always have been?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No they use commonwealth materials although I think they need water to build ships and station parts.

But they have an entirely self contained equipment ecosystem, their equipment only works on boron ships and boron ships can only mount boron equipment.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Wasn't this the point of the modular equipment in the first place? I can understand it somewhat for some Terran guns but you can still mount all other Terran tech on other ships.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Boron use the standard Commonwealth economy, except they need lots of water for basically everything. On that note I hadn't realized until recently that Water is a container good, not liquid, lol. Bought the wrong ships.

Really wanting to get a Guppy, but its like 1/3 of a Colossus for 4/5s of Colossus price. :|

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 14, 2023

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Boron use the standard Commonwealth economy, except they need lots of water for basically everything. On that note I hadn't realized until recently that Water is a container good, not liquid, lol. Bought the wrong ships.

Oh yeah I always liked that, haha - the liquid ships are only useable for transporting gases, obviously! Meanwhile, water is exclusively transported in the form of pallets of bottles, so naturally it goes in container ships and is impossible to transport using liquid ships! :v:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

ded posted:

I'm having lots missing npcs - traders & ship sellers (not a big deal on sellers you can menu it) at stations. Super annoying.

I've definitely spotted this in the Provinces Adrift sectors. I assumed it was because all of their stations have too few personnel.
It can also take a while to find random crew members to hire if you're just running around a station.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

In case anyone's interested, the 7800X3D does alright:

Ardryn posted:

Here's what I got with my 78, CL30-36-36-76 6000 RAM:
Young Gun: 118-120
Empire Empty Area: 100-120
Empire Dense Area: 18-22

The dense area is definitely banging its head against the clock speed, but otherwise the 78 is about on par with the 58 from that post with some wiggle room for system weirdnesses. Though obviously I had it framecapped to 120.

Fake Edit: I did run it at 1080p with everything off/low and my 2070 barely noticed the game was running.
This is based on some save-games from the Egosoft forums

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Can you clarify a bit in a spoiler? I unlocked the second start and I am definitely Boron for it so I'm not sure I'm missing something.

I don't know how many people care about spoilers in their economic war sim games but I sure don't :)

It was me being an absolute idiot. Basically, I've bought all the DLCs but not played them all as I'm bad and also easily distracted.

What happened was that I clicked on a Tides Of Avarice start, not the 2nd Boron one by mistake and got all excited my first mission was a jail break without realising it was the wrong one.

I may have to go back and play that start at some point though as it's fascinating and very unique.

Just to put it into context, I've already restarted the Boron DLC 3 times and I'm just about to restart it again for reasons but it will be the last the bloody time.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Haha gotcha, no worries.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure the only unique part there is the actual jailbreak segment, and once you're on the Empyrean Curs ship from there on out is just the normal Empyrean Curs questline you can do on any gamestart. Still worth doing at least once (also a couple easter eggs if you explore the jail a bit), but you're probably good to just head over and do those quests whenever now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Hey maybe having one of the key sectors of the expansion be a hazard trap with pretty narrow safety lanes wasn't the best idea. It's not the end of the world, but it's definitely annoying. Autopilot is pretty good at getting you through it, but it's not perfect and if you're passing through Sanctuary of Darkness you have to be paying attention.