Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Achmed Jones posted:

i don't think "normal people" theme their phones in any meaningful way beyond changing their lock screen and wallpaper

yeah “normal people” are probably not even aware system settings exist and if there’s something about the phone they don’t like they just assume “phones are like that” and live with it

wallpaper, ringtone, contacts, favorite messaging app, and then they just leave the rest alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if you must use an anroid i'd recommend getting a pixel 6 because it has ~5 years of upstream os support unlike most other handsets. oh yeah, enjoy the garbage in-screen fingerprint sensor.

then install grapheneos onto it. grapheneos has a webusb installer that can perform the whole installation process from their website and a whole bunch of security enhancements and anti-google-crapware features added in. it's also very cut down, the default wallpaper is just a black screen and it doesn't even have a calculator or calendar out of the box, but there's a one-click install that puts play services and the play store into a custom-made anti-spyware sandbox and from there you can install play apps normally.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

http://astronaut.io/

its a constant feed of youtubes with 0 views.

oh gently caress i remember this being shared awhile back and forgot all about it

bookmarked

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I do get using an android if you are either price-sensitive (either poor or don't care enough about phone to spend lots of money on one) or love one of the niche form factors apple doesn't offer

fortunately for me apple does sell the niche form factor I like, "normal size"

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

nrook posted:

I do get using an android if you are either price-sensitive (either poor or don't care enough about phone to spend lots of money on one) or love one of the niche form factors apple doesn't offer

fortunately for me apple does sell the niche form factor I like, "normal size"

i have a 12 mini now, and my only complaint is the 2400mah battery, even with a perfect condition battery, the battery life could be a bit longer. otherwise it's been good, i like it more than the samsung i'd had before

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Internet Janitor posted:

when i was in elementary school, i didn't have a computer of my own, or even access to a computer. some of my (richer) friends had computers i'd get to see occasionally, and most of them had game boys and game consoles. no one i knew could program

there was a palpable hunger among many kids my age to make stuff like what we saw on those screens. drawing elaborate levels for fictional games on paper and describing the intricacies of what they'd be like was a common activity. in many ways, the things we could draw on paper weren't that different from the experiences you could buy on a game cartridge; the gulf is certainly much wider today

i'd like to hope that today's kids have a hunger to create as well, but perhaps some of it is diffused into prepackaged creativity vessel products like minecraft, or discouraged by locked-down devices and platforms

I mean Roblox and Minecraft are a billion times more accessible and intuitive than basic or assembly or c++ or whatever we had when we were kids, and let you create complex logic and full rear end games with custom assets, whatever. yeah, it’s a “prepackaged” product but it’s still coding.

the ability to make the computer do what you want it to has literally never been easier or cheaper than it is today.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

kitten emergency posted:

the ability to make the computer do what you want it to has literally never been easier or cheaper than it is today.

yeah this, and kids are taking advantage of it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah. it used to be you had to pay for compilers and including one (or rather usually an interpreter) with the OS was a legit value add. linux was dope when i was 15 in part because it had free compilers and interpreters for so many languages

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i think absolute cardinalities have increased tremendously but population ratio within young peeps who have the opportunity have been pretty stagnant

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

yeah I was going to say roblox. but then if the kid's only computer is an iphone they won't be able to do much

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lotta the paid roblox poo poo is professionalized gambling operations for children so...

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
like anything, the ratio of ppl consuming the custom stuff vs making the custom stuff is extremely skewed. You can make things on a phone and it's hell of alot easier than a TI-83.

On first glance, I don't think there's that many more kids making a computer do a thing than 20 years ago, especially relative to how many consume the end results.

It's always attracted a certain _type_ of person and that type of person spawns at the same rate as before.

This is not a "programming is hard" thing. This is a "most people would rather do anything else" thing.

edit
The real thing that has skewed it a bit is at the prestige HS and college level. Because it pays (maybe used to pay soon enough) so well, all the upper middle class families think it's now one of the "good paths" alongside lawyer, doctor, consultant, etc and it only needs a bachelor. In the past few years, the average out-of-college person I interviewed has shifted from "I just really liked playing games" or "I found I wasn't good at anything else" to "Well I spent high school and college being rammed through extremely rigorous courses, tutoring, got 5 internships at major companies, and now I'm here". The average person comes from way more wealth than before which means they're happy there's a recession because "Jane Street is gonna do super well now!"

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 15, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
When smart phones first came out I spent a lot of time and money buying games and other stuff on them, now I can't stand mobile gaming.

If it wasn't for Google maps, WhatsApp and mobile banking I'd go back to a dumb phone.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Mega Comrade posted:

When smart phones first came out I spent a lot of time and money buying games and other stuff on them, now I can't stand mobile gaming.

If it wasn't for Google maps, WhatsApp and mobile banking I'd go back to a dumb phone.

yep p much same same except slack instead of whatsapp

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
every time i get a new iphone im like "ooh this is powerful. i should download a game and play it!" and i pick some highly rated thing on the store and always delete it within five minutes because the intense IAP/P2W gives me instant heartburn

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i tried 7 free solitaires before i gave up and bought an ad free one

cant even get fuckin free solitaire

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Remember the original angry birds? They actually went back and delisted the original to stop people buying it and make them play the new FTP version of it.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
the only time i had fun gaming on mobile was when some one-time purchase game went viral and i picked it up (anyone else remember spelltower?) or for the brief period i had apple arcade - no in app purchases so the games have to be good on merit alone, though they're not above doing the dark pattern nudging addictive stuff even w/o iaps.

if i had kids i'd just let them play minecraft or apple arcade.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

apple arcade is good for filtering out all the iap crap. but the games are still not very good, and you have to play them on a touchscreen so it's still not really worth it

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Lara Croft Go is literally the only mobile game i have ever bought

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
that game where you swipe numbers up/down/left/right to add matches together and double them is really good, i can't remember the name though

games like that work well on your phone

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

hell yeah

it was good

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i'm going to assume this is a game about collecting and battling instances of laura croft using an augmented reality app that encourages blindly walking into traffic and jumping the fences of government facilites

sounds pretty fun

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

that game where you swipe numbers up/down/left/right to add matches together and double them is really good, i can't remember the name though

games like that work well on your phone

Wasn't that threes. might actually reinstall that. Was cute and had lovely music.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

"hoplite" is a simple roguelike that I paid for on mobile and I'm very happy with the purchase, but I've basically mastered it, can't really play it anymore

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Mega Comrade posted:

Wasn't that threes. might actually reinstall that. Was cute and had lovely music.

one was a clone of the other and i honestly can't remember which is which but looking at an image and threes is the one i played

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

the mobile Dead Space game was pretty slick but too bad it's unmaintained and broken in modern Android

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i liked 2048 better than 3s because my brain does powers of 2 better than multiples of 3

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i was android for about a decade but when they took away the hardware keyboard, 3.5 port, and removable sd card in rapid succession that was curtains for me.

for games the only thing i've stuck with is battle cats, a tower defense game that's been going for almost 15 years because i think the art is cute.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lol the previous owner of this house is not only dumb enough to have failed to change their address on goddamn everything but is signed up to "hp instant ink", lol.

Truman Peyote posted:

"hoplite" is a simple roguelike that I paid for on mobile and I'm very happy with the purchase, but I've basically mastered it, can't really play it anymore

same but Shattered Pixel Dungeon, I haven't bothered looking for a new time waster for train journeys because now I :justpost:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Juno: New Origins is a pretty good iOS game but I wouldn't play on anything smaller than an iPad

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Cold on a Cob posted:

one was a clone of the other and i honestly can't remember which is which but looking at an image and threes is the one i played

2048 was a clone of another game called 2048 which was a clone of threes

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

slice and dice is another good mobile game, and slay the spire and dicey dungeons both have decent ports. other than that there's, uh, square enix rpgs I guess???

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
there was an old flash game called "dicewars" that i liked. at one point i had a version of that on my phone. this version seems to work in my current web browser

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

LanceHunter posted:

What do you mean there's no back button? If you need to switch from the app you're currently on to the one you were on previously, you can swipe up and you can see the app switcher, where you can choose just how far back you need to go on previous apps you were using. Also, if you change from one app to another because of a notification, there will also be a button in the upper-left corner with the previous app's name and a back button if you want a one-touch way to get back where you were.
Or y'know, a single fluid movement with your thumb from the bottom to go back and forth like an invisible taskbar

LanceHunter posted:

Also, I can't imagine what you are thinking trying to say that the android keyboard is somehow better than the iPhone's.
idk, apple didn't get swipe for what, five whole years? you get two keyboards. on android you get to pick from hundreds. i literally use a different one when i do ssh terminal stuff on my phone from discord, from youtube and they all have independent mergable or seperatable dictionaries and i have two russian ones (one formal, one slang) and a german one i use regularly.

LanceHunter posted:

Android people have gotten so used to their atrocious, barely-useable UI that they have a hard time using a phone whose interface doesn't suck.
no, its just that poo poo has converged and the differences aren't that big anymore and if you want to dink around with specialty or experimental stuff that suits your preference better, you can do that on android and you can't do that with apple. i literally disabled transition animations stuff usually is loaded behind using global developer settings, because i can go like 3/4 times faster on my phone by doing this. i can't do that on an iphone.

i also deliberately changed the shape and size of the contact point for single-finger tapping and it changes depending on what the gyroscope says because sometimes i use the phone with my feet pointed toward the sky and a pad of command strip on the back connecting it to my left palm, my left wrist, or my hip, with a lanyard incase it comes loose.

likewise, its also in high contrast when i'm in this situation so if my colour perception or my tonality perception are borked by the forces i'm experiencing, i can continue to use the phone as a kneeboard.

trying to do the same thing with an iphone was pure loving misery and i did not have such options for my absurd edge-case at 15,000-35,000ft feeling my blood go into my feet

there are lots of weird situations in run into, and being able to just profile the phone is just very comfy.

3d-printing a bash-plate to protect the screen while steering 40 tons of metal in a mud yard in europe for example means i'm obviously going to want to use a fixed trackball and a hardened rubber dome keyboard secured to the inboard of the cabin wall. unfortunately i couldn't use bluetooth because it interfered with the radios in wireless mode, so i had to use a tool to turn mouse inputs and keyboard inputs from those devices into signals when i wasn't just bouncing it up a usb hub.

the iphone didn't speak usb hub for wired mode, and no tool existed for wireless mode that wasn't bluetooth. likewise, there wasn't a decent OBDLink tool at the time or any scantools for iphone so i couldn't get ecu statistics to figure out what was going on in a vehicle that was older than i was that some how still supported the standard.

i regularly run into very very weird edge-cases. what if i'm doing facial capture over wifi, so i can drive face-rig or what if i'm having to emulate something

i get that i'm not a typical user, but i can't do that stuff with an iphone. it just doesn't work. likewise if the phone gets smashed, i don't lose any of my data because of weird proprietary encryption standards that demand cloud backup when i'm like 200 miles away from anywhere with cell reception for weeks at a time. its also just cheap and cheerful to replace too.

obsessing over interfaces and click-counts fetishistically mattered when the load times for things were enormous and the refresh rates were bad.

i guess there's also the fact i just do not want to pay for youtube, so i run a modified client. likewise, i also have a second version of twitch that's specifically for streaming, which is also a modified client. i literally wouldn't be able to do any of that on iphone.

iphone is *fine* if you have very basic use-cases and you're willing to fetishize pixels over just basic functionality. loving that 22% slowdown.

i literally say this as someone who was the worst most egregious apple diehard in 2012 obsessing over ux and a decent terminal implementation before that poo poo was mostly just normalized largely because i could feed midi devices through scripts on mac os x and make the sliders on my midi banks drive photoshop or modo or illustrator or modify debug values in unity really easily without having to actually bother using any kind of proprietary api poo poo or rolling an entire midi connection intermediary.

then apple gradually started loving it all up 2016 and i switched back to windows after skirting a bit with linux before sticking with windows 10

your os might be a piece of poo poo sure, but the correct os for every job is the one that suits your purpose

your platform sucks for my purpose

why? computers just suck period because humans make them and humans don't generally think of anybody but their own usecases or their very specific target market usecases when they make stuff unless they're particularly exceptional individuals or they have free time in abundance

its just a lovely truth to software

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 15, 2023

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i've played a shameful amount of mobile games, but my favorites are these two games called I love hue & i love hue 2, which are games about putting squares of color in order.

so you go from this, to this:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Expo70 posted:

Or y'know, a single fluid movement with your thumb from the bottom to go back and forth like an invisible taskbar

idk, apple didn't get swipe for what, five whole years? you get two keyboards. on android you get to pick from hundreds. i literally use a different one when i do ssh terminal stuff on my phone from discord, from youtube and they all have independent mergable or seperatable dictionaries and i have two russian ones (one formal, one slang) and a german one i use regularly.

no, its just that poo poo has converged and the differences aren't that big anymore and if you want to dink around with specialty or experimental stuff that suits your preference better, you can do that on android and you can't do that with apple. i literally disabled transition animations stuff usually is loaded behind using global developer settings, because i can go like 3/4 times faster on my phone by doing this. i can't do that on an iphone.

i also deliberately changed the shape and size of the contact point for single-finger tapping and it changes depending on what the gyroscope says because sometimes i use the phone with my feet pointed toward the sky and a pad of command strip on the back connecting it to my left palm, my left wrist, or my hip, with a lanyard incase it comes loose.

likewise, its also in high contrast when i'm in this situation so if my colour perception or my tonality perception are borked by the forces i'm experiencing, i can continue to use the phone as a kneeboard.

trying to do the same thing with an iphone was pure loving misery and i did not have such options for my absurd edge-case at 15,000-35,000ft feeling my blood go into my feet

there are lots of weird situations in run into, and being able to just profile the phone is just very comfy. 3d-printing a bash-plate to protect the screen while steering 40 tons of metal in a mud yard in europe for example means i'm obviously going to want to use a fixed trackball and a hardened rubber dome keyboard secured to the inboard of the cabin wall. unfortunately i couldn't use bluetooth because it interfered with the radios in wireless mode, so i had to use a tool to turn mouse inputs and keyboard inputs from those devices into signals when i wasn't just bouncing it up a usb hub. the iphone didn't speak usb hub for wired mode, and no tool existed for wireless mode that wasn't bluetooth. likewise, there wasn't a decent OBDLink tool at the time or any scantools for iphone so i couldn't get ecu statistics to figure out what was going on in a vehicle that was older than i was that some how still supported the standard.

i regularly run into very very weird edge-cases. what if i'm doing facial capture over wifi, so i can drive face-rig or what if i'm having to emulate something

i get that i'm not a typical user, but i can't do that stuff with an iphone. it just doesn't work.

obsessing over interfaces and click-counts fetishistically mattered when the load times for things were enormous and the refresh rates were bad.

i guess there's also the fact i just do not want to pay for youtube, so i run a modified client. likewise, i also have a second version of twitch that's specifically for streaming, which is also a modified client. i literally wouldn't be able to do any of that on iphone.

iphone is *fine* if you have very basic use-cases and you're willing to fetishize pixels over just basic functionality

i literally say this as someone who was the worst most egregious apple diehard in 2012 obsessing over ux and a decent terminal implementation before that poo poo was mostly just normalized largely because i could feed midi devices through scripts on mac os x and make the sliders on my midi banks drive photoshop or modo or illustrator or modify debug values in unity really easily without having to actually bother using any kind of proprietary api poo poo or rolling an entire midi connection intermediary.

then apple gradually started loving it all up 2016 and i switched back to windows after skirting a bit with linux before sticking with windows 10

your os might be a piece of poo poo sure, but the correct os for every job is the one that suits your purpose

your platform sucks for my purpose

why? computers just suck period because humans make them and humans don't generally think of anybody but their own usecases or their very specific target market usecases when they make stuff unless they're particularly exceptional individuals or they have free time in abundance

its just a lovely truth to software

i use an iphone because my job is to deal with stupid computer bullshit and at the end of the day i want my poo poo to just work and not have to think about it

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i use an iphone because my job is to deal with stupid computer bullshit and at the end of the day i want my poo poo to just work and not have to think about it

perfect solution to your usecase.

very good

i like knowing if i drop my phone in coolant because i got handsy, getting it open and hitting it with isopropyl isn't going to risk cracking the battery and putting a firework in my face or refusing to boot for literally no reason whatsoever

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I don't play games on my phone. It's ok to not stare at your phone for periods of time.