Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the jabaal abdul-simmons stuff is legitimately hilarious. i mean like the stuff where as a kid he liked basketball so much that he wanted to be black is kind of (maybe) normal kid stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
If we are about to pile on, I just to remind people for a Boston guy, his formative years were in Connecticut and went to high school at Choate.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Mooseontheloose posted:

If we are about to pile on, I just to remind people for a Boston guy, his formative years were in Connecticut and went to high school at Choate.

As an extremely non new englander is this supposed to make Bill look better or worse?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

If Law and Order has taught me anything it's that we should most certainly assess people based on their childhood drawings.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

projecthalaxy posted:

As an extremely non new englander is this supposed to make Bill look better or worse?

Choate is an elite boarding school that charges annual tuition around $65,000 a year.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the jabaal abdul-simmons stuff is legitimately hilarious. i mean like the stuff where as a kid he liked basketball so much that he wanted to be black is kind of (maybe) normal kid stuff

ever even considering wanting to be black would put you in the most tolerant 1% of Massachusetts residents.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

Worse.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Cool.

And yeah I'm not like cancelling the dude its just funny that he had a blacksona in first grade and then to try to figure out what athletes think during the combine he didnt like ask any of the hundreds of athletes he knows he just put on his blacksona hat (i hope it was a hat) and made something up idk its a bizarre thing to read

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think primarily it's just really funny op

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

Cool.

And yeah I'm not like cancelling the dude its just funny that he had a blacksona in first grade and then to try to figure out what athletes think during the combine he didnt like ask any of the hundreds of athletes he knows he just put on his blacksona hat (i hope it was a hat) and made something up idk its a bizarre thing to read

Nah I get. I grew up in Massachusetts's, went to college in Boston and when he does this poo poo it just makes me let out a heavy sigh that he got so popular as a Boston guy. And then when he does the racist poo poo, it's like see here is this guy and he is what you all are and I want to to stuff him down a hall and say you aren't helping man.

Think of a kid from Poughkeepsie, NY claiming to be a real New Yorker.

I also feel bad cause I REALLY liked his stuff in college, he was new and kinda broke out of the old system but then he just replicated it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Full disclosure: in second grade I signed a lot of my school papers Yoda and tried to get that over as my nickname (which thankfully didnt work) so I am really in no place to speak

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

projecthalaxy posted:

Full disclosure: in second grade I signed a lot of my school papers Yoda and tried to get that over as my nickname (which thankfully didnt work) so I am really in no place to speak

Was this before or after episode 2?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

Was this before or after episode 2?

This was before episode 1. I just thought he was cool in Empire lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
speaking of weird racial bits in old popular books

Feels Villeneuve posted:

does anyone remember the chapter in Freakanomics where they just went on a digression presenting well-known urban legends about "ha ha black people have the craziest names" as if they were facts

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Freakonomics was a weird book that one of my management professors was so sure was like The Key to understanding things. That and The World Is Flat.

Also just noticed the thread title lol

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Bird in a Blender posted:

This is a good discussion on the satan page.

My brother in Ames, you should have scrolled up:

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Seems appropriate that we’re on Page 666 for this discussion :devil:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i do

i also remember that weird bit at the end of the book where they were like "adopted children are doomed to fail" but went on to clarify that one of the authors of the book had adopted a child so actually shoot your shot and economics aren't everything

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

Whatever, Yoda

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
The most insane Bill Simmons take will always be that Memphis sports crowds get more tense than in other cities because MLK was shot there.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

So It Goes posted:

The most insane Bill Simmons take will always be that Memphis sports crowds get more tense than in other cities because MLK was shot there.

Lmao

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Kalli posted:

The Bill Simmons subreddit uses that name for Bomani Jones because anyone who'd post on a Bill Simmons subreddit....

Yep, those are his readers...

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

So It Goes posted:

that rules lmao

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

So It Goes posted:

He's so good

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The podcast "If Books Could Kill" does a really good breakdown of that book. It's a great pod to listen to and quietly seethe.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1648357227961384963

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Just gonna leave this here

https://twitter.com/WhitlockJason/status/1649372549115936768?s=20

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

No wonder he’s so red-rear end

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
That explains a lot about Jason, actually.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I would be grumpy and think God cursed my people as well

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The fact that he think of 8 bucks in those terms is probably why he uses so much toilet paper

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

That man takes bovine dumps

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

So ESPN 30 for 30 Podcasts did a 4 part series on the pay to play scandal in College Basketball from 2018. They've absolutely adopted the 'Serial' style top to bottom for this, but it's still a really good listen.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/hainystyle/status/1649509350992388097?s=46&t=8273Ur5gqnx9UDbflKnZww

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1650897558477176834?s=20

Hopefully Nate can spend some time off visiting the Sudbury-Thunder Bay Metropolitan Area

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
The Thunder Bay moment was definitely a “shine is off the apple” for me and a lot of other sports analysts I know - it exposed him trying to do quick hits with data without inspecting a map and then blaming it on the data provider.

It took much longer for 538 to finally fall, probably thanks to the Trump election and a lot of their coverage, but him going full covid truther probably didn’t help. Also creating a newsroom that was too toxic that Mona and other brilliant women of color wanted no parts of, so they never had a better idea than trying to predict elections.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

What's the Thunder Bay thing a reference to? I've never heard that one and a Google search doesn't turn anything up

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Cognac McCarthy posted:

What's the Thunder Bay thing a reference to? I've never heard that one and a Google search doesn't turn anything up

he went in on the idea that Sudbury-Thunder Bay was a viable market for an NHL expansion team

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-cant-canada-win-the-stanley-cup/

basically everyone in canada was like "you loving moron, here's all the reasons you're wrong and your numbers are poo poo."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Maybe he just really got into Letterkenny and wanted to make it happen

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm not going to shed any tears for Nate Bronze losing his job. The other people who worked at 538, sure. But I'm surprised it lasted this long under Disney where it's almost certainly not making any profits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Cognac McCarthy posted:

To sum up the article quickly: his brilliant methodology for determining the best markets for the NHL to expand to was population x % of people google. So his Thunder Bay-Sudbury Metropolitan area of 500k people where 52% of people googled NHL is a better expansion market than Houston where only 2% of it's 6 million people did.

So that's dumb enough, but while the Sudbury-Thunder Bay amalgamation he used can be described as "Northern Ontario", the two cities are 623 miles apart, which would make going to games just a little difficult for half the fans even if games took place in perfect summer weather and not in the middle of winter.