Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

not enough parking lots in SF to just set up a cooker and some folding tables.
coincidentally the best brisket I had recently was from this place in the parking lot behind kennedy’s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

not enough parking lots in SF to just set up a cooker and some folding tables.

that or some burned out basement are the best places to score good bbq

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
also good: the hibachi in front of any filipino owned convenience store

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

hobbesmaster posted:

really it’s to burn time bullshitting in a way that is not a saved chat log

venting too I guess

hallway agitating on the company dime

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

maybe I have lower standards but

capelo in Redwood City has really good meat, sides are fine to good

smoking pig in sj was great but quality went downhill when they started expanding. their Mac and cheese was really good. haven’t been in a while

breakwater in el granada is pretty good too

I’m not waiting in line for horn more than once

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
agreedo on smoking pig in sj going to hell

i understand that its common in actual bbq land but gently caress waiting in line

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

in actual bbq land those lines move insanely fast

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
prime bbq land

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i had some really freakin good chopped pork the other day.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah but oaklands right there. for good bbq you need to either have a strong cultural tradition on its own, or a place where lots of folks landed during the great migration. and while some folks did end up in sf oakland did better

everett and jooooooooones

biggest thing I miss about berkeley

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

to be honest, i kind of like skyline chili and variants of cincinnati chili, but overall i just think chili on spaghetti is fuckin delicious, and that it's better done with better chili than skyline.

similarly, i will also gladly eat a can of stagg chili from costco on some spaghetti plus some diced onions and cheddar and sour cream. :hai:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
hell, stagg chili ain't bad cold straight out of the can

useful info if you're ever in a survival situation, severely depressed, etc

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Gnossiennes posted:

to be honest, i kind of like skyline chili and variants of cincinnati chili, but overall i just think chili on spaghetti is fuckin delicious, and that it's better done with better chili than skyline.

similarly, i will also gladly eat a can of stagg chili from costco on some spaghetti plus some diced onions and cheddar and sour cream. :hai:

i love skyline because of the holiday double entendres the local one put up when i was in college.

this valentines day, stop in for a three-way
even santa loves a three-way
get dad a three way
etc

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

hobbesmaster posted:

I worked at a Minnesota company that would always buy pizza from this “great” local pizza company. local as in “Minnesota style”. this is best described as a St. Louis style derivative: square cut, cracker crust, one step above provel cheese as the default and they always had to have the weirdest toppings. cheeseburger, taco and I don’t even know what else. it wasn’t cheap either.

be careful what you wish for lol

owned by a friend of a middle manager, for sure

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

idk for sure but im willing to guess that there’s a ton of regional chinese cuisines you can’t get a good version of in sf, at least

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

confused foreigner checkin: why do americans like ‘bbq’ so much, I’ve had it a few times over there and i’m like, ok

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's because they love the taste of sweet baby ray's barbeque sauce, op. much like the truly authentic american Mark Zuckerberg.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

git apologist posted:

confused foreigner checkin: why do americans like ‘bbq’ so much, I’ve had it a few times over there and i’m like, ok

it's one of those things where if it's done really well it can be really good but a lot of people and places don't actually do it all that well

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so before i answer i must clarify that we are speaking strictly of low-and-slow smoked meat. i know uk and some other countries say 'barbecue' when they're talking about high heat grilling. this isnt that

and the reasons we like it so much are: it has strong roots in working class culture (we use traditionally cheap cuts for this and break them down with 6-12 hours in the smoker) and it's an _event_. you don't pop out to the back yard and smoke a brisket for lunch real quick. theres lots of prep, the method lends itself to economy of scale (smokers are big and expensive and not everybody has one, so it's easier for a community to smoke 8 briskets and 12 racks of ribs and make 37 pounds of potato salad than it is for everybody to do 1 brisket and 2 racks or w/e). so it becomes an all-day social thing, where the (usually) fellas are excited to get up and start the smoker at like 4 am, everybody hangs out all day watching the smoker, and then we eat way too much food and pass out at the end after spending the day and some brews with our family and friends.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

so before i answer i must clarify that we are speaking strictly of low-and-slow smoked meat. i know uk and some other countries say 'barbecue' when they're talking about high heat grilling. this isnt that

and the reasons we like it so much are: it has strong roots in working class culture (we use traditionally cheap cuts for this and break them down with 6-12 hours in the smoker) and it's an _event_. you don't pop out to the back yard and smoke a brisket for lunch real quick. theres lots of prep, the method lends itself to economy of scale (smokers are big and expensive and not everybody has one, so it's easier for a community to smoke 8 briskets and 12 racks of ribs and make 37 pounds of potato salad than it is for everybody to do 1 brisket and 2 racks or w/e). so it becomes an all-day social thing, where the (usually) fellas are excited to get up and start the smoker at like 4 am, everybody hangs out all day watching the smoker, and then we eat way too much food and pass out at the end after spending the day and some brews with our family and friends.

:allears:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

idk for sure but im willing to guess that there’s a ton of regional chinese cuisines you can’t get a good version of in sf, at least

I cant think of one.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Jonny 290 posted:

holy poo poo. the more you know

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

sounds like a lot of time and planning is required for that, you should try the superior uk version: immediately start drinking heavily then burn everything on the outside but leave it raw in the middle

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

whenever a small midwestern city tries to say it has a "style" of something it always ends in disaster. all pizza that isn't new york or chicago, cincinnati chili, st. louis pizza, etc

the only exception here is barbecue and that might just be because it's actually really hard to gently caress up bbq if you can manage the basics

https://twitter.com/davedittell/status/675806988572319744?s=20

this might be the only tweet i remember well enough to be able to google

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my favorite form of barbecue is when the smoker is a converted 50gal drum

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

50 gallons of sweet baby rays

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

fart simpson posted:

50 gallons of sweet baby rays

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

idk how good this new LINUX is, but the video presenter is the most Computer fellow I have seen in some time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHQ8c7QqlbM

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
That's a beautiful bowl cut. Man living his best life.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

that guy rools op

the freedos guy does too

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

BMan posted:

what the gently caress

:shepicide:

we do this with a slack bot, totally opt-in, thirty minutes once a week with a random coworker. idk it's a nice way to have a human conversation with a coworker where no one says the word "jira"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quiggy posted:

we do this with a slack bot, totally opt-in, thirty minutes once a week with a random coworker. idk it's a nice way to have a human conversation with a coworker where no one says the word "jira"

we just do this the normal way without needing special tools, by PM'ing each other to poo poo talk customers

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!

piggy land prime

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Shame Boy posted:

we just do this the normal way without needing special tools, by PM'ing each other to poo poo talk customers

that works fine if i want to talk to another engineer but there's lots of folks at the studio i don't regularly work with and its nice to talk to them

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Menacer posted:

piggy land prime

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

NoneMoreNegative posted:

idk how good this new LINUX is, but the video presenter is the most Computer fellow I have seen in some time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHQ8c7QqlbM

Chris Barnatt (and his website explainingcomputers.com) is a treasure.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Menacer posted:

piggy land prime

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Menacer posted:

piggy land prime

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Menacer posted:

piggy land prime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Buck Turgidson posted:

Chris Barnatt (and his website explainingcomputers.com) is a treasure.

petition to change yospos to explainingcomputers.net