Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Fool posted:

my favorite form of barbecue is when the smoker is a converted 50gal drum

gently caress that we’re doing filing cabinets now

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTR3wEWB7/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

sounds like a lot of time and planning is required for that, you should try the superior uk version: immediately start drinking heavily then burn everything on the outside but leave it raw in the middle

this is what the vast majority of americans do too, it's just not the intent

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

quiggy posted:

that works fine if i want to talk to another engineer but there's lots of folks at the studio i don't regularly work with and its nice to talk to them

yep this. it's good for just getting to talk to people i normally don't interact with but also getting insights into their operations. ours is opt-in as well so the only people who are on it are there because they want to be

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

nudgenudgetilt posted:

we did that pre-pandemic at a fully remote company i worked at, and i hated it.

oh cool, let me set aside 30 minutes to make awkward small talk with a colleague i otherwise never interact with

it was just an example of something that could be implemented to replace that random serendipitous meeting Amazon (and presumably others) seem to want to recreate so badly by being in person.

Of course, this isn't the real reason they want everyone back, so I'm not suggesting anyone implement it

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
to be fair, i do all my work conspiracy stuff offline and explicitly tell people im going to tell them something that ill never put in an email and will deny for the rest of my life

so far that, rto is great

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ruffian Price posted:

holy poo poo. the more you know

you see? if you tried opening a bbq restaurant without being explained that you would have been one of the fuckups

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

https://twitter.com/mmitchell_ai/status/1648030686811676672?s=20

https://twitter.com/mmitchell_ai/status/1648031643637268481?s=20

There's more in that Twitter thread, but it seems like Google has fully jumped into the "just lie about the product" phase of AI development. (Also, later in the thread op realizes that Bengali actually makes up even more of the training set.)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

cool we're going straight into "tech bros reinventing linguistics" I see

ok let's workshop this from first principles I'll start: what does mean?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

this is someone standing up and shouting for hamburgers because they want to skip the commercials, you cant fool me

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

EricBauman posted:

this is someone standing up and shouting for hamburgers because they want to skip the commercials, you cant fool me

immediately my first thought as well

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

EricBauman posted:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

EricBauman posted:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we should stop working on dead end technology like AI or linux and make it so i can yell hamburger at my tv and get a hamburger instantly.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
you can probably do that with a voice assistant hooked up to grubhub with ifttt, godspeed

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
thats not instant

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
constantly running hamburger assembly line in your kitchen and it throws them out until you say "i want hamburger" then it picks one off the line and drops it on top of a roomba that will (eventually) deliver

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that works for me

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

did everyone already forget that the xbox one will let you order pizza by yelling at it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we're not talking about ordering food, anyone can do that. i want to manifest food on demand. why is noone doing this? this kind of technology could end world hunger!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

EricBauman posted:

correct, it's the Sumerian for "ublock", the origin in fact

e: also lmao

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 18, 2023

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Shame Boy posted:

did everyone already forget that the xbox one will let you order pizza by yelling at it

remember everquest's /pizza command

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Shame Boy posted:

/my brand buying the Gamer Word as a purchase keyword and making a killing

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

anyway re: food on demand, I did see a demo a long time ago of someone running molten chocolate through a 3D printer that... sort of... vaguely... worked... so obviously being able to replicate a hamburger like in star trek is just around the corner

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

EricBauman posted:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

perceptron poo poo was not invented by comp sci peeps alone. it was actual engineering math peeps, actual neurologist, actual psychologists, and physicists, in addition to them. there's been a long cold multipartite academia war between the connectionists, chomskyite linguists, other linguists, other symbolic peeps but there have been insane breakthroughs in crushing chomskyite and other symbolicist counterarguments from the connectionist point of view by just shoving way the gently caress more data in. if you want the in-discipline vicious arguments sign up for the connectionists mailing list

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

correct, it's the Sumerian for "ublock", the origin in fact

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they have literally ran out of data in the public, pirateable etc internet so there almost certainly can't be a gpt 5 that's as big a difference as gpt 4. so that entails data efficiency (but data efficiency was problematic anyways) in the same way as you need monte carlo tree search, not plain tree search for viable chess poo poo

but the below unironically worked. it is basically malpractice now to do anything but the bottom panel below for like 90% of nlp tasks

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ok but did you diagonalize cryptography yet

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you know about the estimate

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

remind me

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
2 to 20 years, given 4 years ago

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

the improved model is putting the entire image into each one of the ??? boxes, recursively

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
no that improvement was the 90s

the 2014 improvement is multiplicative poo poo shoved in the net. the 2017 improvement is taking useless stuff out so you can parallelize harder. 2022 improvement is mAkE nUmBeR gO uP

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 18, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
for centuries, linguists and eventually computer scientists wasted time operating on the deeply flawed premise that their results would be rigorously and carefully evaluated and therefore had to be robust and sensible

finally we have broken through and unlocked the true potential of models that are opaque, built from gigantic and irreplaceable databases acquired via probably illegal means, and whose results even in carefully orchestrated demos are frequently comically wrong

giving a single gently caress about anything but raking in dough is maladaptive under capitalism

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theres a reason why sutton called it the bitter lesson

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
sutton's argument is "being totally data driven gets better results than designing ontologies, lol, gently caress you"

in practice the result is "plausible deniability and marketing makes more money than techniques constrained by objective measures of performance"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
what, you want a compressive bitrate or something? its language modelling, the objective measures arent very objective in the first place

gpt is also state of the art in compression ratios, just lol at actually using it for compression tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

looking for a file type that just hallucinates entirely new data into my files