Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Rufus Ping posted:

3.97% aer is 4% apr if interest is paid monthly

(1+3.97%/12)^12-1=4%

i figured it was something like that. i no longer have to deal with day count conventions and other weird finance poo poo so i assumed it was close enough and didn't dig into it further.

but thank you for the math

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

dark mode and warm backlight is so badass. best of all worlds

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

none of the new ereaders have physical page turn buttons it's sad

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
got a newer touchscreen kindle as a gift and its pretty annoying. lots of accidental page swipes. can never remember how to swipe around the ui correctly to get back to the main page or whtever.

makes me want to switch back to an older button kindle I have in a drawer. but it has an excellent subtle backlight so I keep putting up with that poo poo

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

yeah old kindles seem to be p. much bulletproof, it's hard to upgrade when your old one is still showing you your books no problem.

A complete opposite to the Amazon 'Fire' tablets which have been a disaster every time I have touched one, awful clunky underpowered anroids that have a shelf-life of about 18months. I have one here I bought cheap that was a year or so old when it bricked in the middle of an update, and searching it up online there is no fix and the suggestion from Amazon was 'buy a new one'.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

yeah my old kindle still happily holds a full 2-3 weeks charge no problem, its hard to care about battery degredation on a device where a full charge when new lasted a month. the good thing about fire tablets is there's a program you can use to rip all the amazon poo poo out of it and get just stock android

the problem is then you have an android tablet

though the funniest thing is that their top level tablet is £190 like who's buying that and not either a used ipad or whatever samsung are doing these days

njsykora fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 18, 2023

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
I've been rocking touchscreen kindles for eleven years now and while I continue to loathe the accidental page swipes whenever I try to click on a tiny rear end annotation, it still hasn't crossed that threshold of "gently caress this. absolutely gently caress this. i'm going to throw money at this problem to make it disappear". Once it does, I'll probably have an incredibly frustrating experience trying to find a second-hand Voyage or Oasis for a reasonable price.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I like my kobo. it does the needful.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

njsykora posted:

the good thing about fire tablets is there's a program you can use to rip all the amazon poo poo out of it and get just stock android

link me if you can, at least if I can bring this one back to life I can make it someone else's problem instead of just being e-waste (android joke here)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
yeah i broke down recently since the loss of the kobo and bought my first new e-ink in years

don't think i'll need to upgrade for a long time barring accidents, it's pretty needs-suiting. wish the browser wasn't hot garbage for rare use, but whatevs

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Today I ensured my 2012 macbook pro will continue to serve me for several more years. Turns out replacing keys on the keyboard is piss easy. Tomorrow I'm going to wipe it down and get Ventura on it.

I know macbooks (and laptops in general) are Awful Heat Issues Central™ but is there anything I can do to maybe replace the fans in this thing? It usually hovers around 67-70 degrees Celsius when I use it and while I do have smcfancontrol and the requisite "TURBINES TO FULL" setting, it's so loud it overpowers the speakers in the thing. Did anyone ever make aftermarket fans or something to cut down on the noise or something?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they arent engineered with much wiggle room as far as airflow. Have you popped the case open and done a good dusting?

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Twice a year, whether it needs it or not.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mediaphage posted:

yeah i broke down recently since the loss of the kobo and bought my first new e-ink in years

don't think i'll need to upgrade for a long time barring accidents, it's pretty needs-suiting. wish the browser wasn't hot garbage for rare use, but whatevs

what make/model is it?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Today I ensured my 2012 macbook pro will continue to serve me for several more years. Turns out replacing keys on the keyboard is piss easy. Tomorrow I'm going to wipe it down and get Ventura on it.

I know macbooks (and laptops in general) are Awful Heat Issues Central™ but is there anything I can do to maybe replace the fans in this thing? It usually hovers around 67-70 degrees Celsius when I use it and while I do have smcfancontrol and the requisite "TURBINES TO FULL" setting, it's so loud it overpowers the speakers in the thing. Did anyone ever make aftermarket fans or something to cut down on the noise or something?

like jonny said, clean out the heatsinks, and i'd suggest removing the heat pipe/heatsink assembly, cleaning, and then reapplying the thermal paste on the cpu and gpu. they did an absolute poo poo job with a number of models and just gobbed cheap poo poo on there and it insulates more than it conducts, so fixing that will pretty dramatically improve the cooling performance

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

what make/model is it?

kindle scrub

first and foremost i wanted it to read books good and it seemed like this is a solid option. i guess amazon also has exclusivity on the 300dpi panels at 10 inches until this fall

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
my backspace key on my macbook is stuck and im gonna have to visit an official authorized retailer slash service UGH

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
my wife got us a ceiling fan for the bedroom that came with a bizarre remote control module with IR/RF remote, which does not seem possible to set up: the instructions say to press the pairing button on the module itself (which sits between hot/neutral line wiring and fan load / light load / neutral wiring to what it powers) but there is no button

already wanted to replace that module with one that did homekit, and "the one that came with the fan does not seem to be configurable at all" was another reason to do that

only, there dont seem to be any ceiling fan control modules that actually support homekit or matter, often amazon and maybe google if youre lucky, or worse, just the manufacturers proprietary app/service

there are a few homebridge plugins for various manufactueres but i do not want to add more smart devices which require internet and third-party services to function normally, homekit stuff works with only local wifi if there is no internet service

did a bunch of reading and found that there is open-source/hobby firmware for a few devices that support homekit, some (tasmota) that do MQTT and would need a MQTT broker , but then found firmware that natively supports homekit with no other caveats or services needed: https://github.com/RavenSystem/esp-homekit-devices

that worked super well with the sonoff ifan04-L, had to get a usb serial port adapter to flash it, and the python esptool worked extremely well to flash its firmware, got it added to homekit with no issues, and the included RF remote still works! was really neat to press the "fan speed 2" button on the physical remote and see the fan speed update in apple home right away, same with the light

wired it up to a 2-prong plug with outlet from the fan/light load wires to test it out, went to install it, and then found that the wiring in the bedroom light is 1) old knob and tube -- not great but not too surprising, but 2) old and brittle and some part of a wire cracked when i bent it, so no overhead light in the bedroom until we manage to run some new romex up there hopefully without tearing up some plaster 😠

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I just bought this but haven't set it up yet. pretty confident it will work though, I have a number of their other smart home gadgets on a homekit network and no complaints

looks like it doesn't control integrated fan lights though so might not suit your needs

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
ah, nice, and no that is not at all suitable for me for a drop-in replacement

the light switch on the wall only has the hot wire, no neutral, and that leviton switch assumes that there are separate wire runs to power the light and the fan, to be controlled independently via two different switches

i originally tried to replace that hot-only switch with a smart one before we intended to install a ceiling fan, but the smart switches that work without a neutral wire do not seem to work well -- the light was constantly flickering when on, so i reinstalled the normal physical switch

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

haveblue posted:

I just bought this but haven't set it up yet. pretty confident it will work though, I have a number of their other smart home gadgets on a homekit network and no complaints

looks like it doesn't control integrated fan lights though so might not suit your needs

yeah it seems like dumb fan + smart switch is the way to go. I’d have to rewire the fan in my dining room to get that to work so I’ve settled for just putting some hue bulbs in the thing so I can turn the lights on and off without YANKING THE WRONG GODDAMN CHAIN EVERY SINGLE loving TIME

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Lysidas posted:

ah, nice, and no that is not at all suitable for me for a drop-in replacement

the light switch on the wall only has the hot wire, no neutral, and that leviton switch assumes that there are separate wire runs to power the light and the fan, to be controlled independently via two different switches

i originally tried to replace that hot-only switch with a smart one before we intended to install a ceiling fan, but the smart switches that work without a neutral wire do not seem to work well -- the light was constantly flickering when on, so i reinstalled the normal physical switch

I have the same issue, and I can't use the switch that goes with the remote because the control wires don't go to the wall switch and when you do turn it back on everything defaults to off, so you have to use the remote anyway.

one day I need to just replace the fans, as they stall out constantly, but that is going to be a huge pain in the rear end.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Clark Nova posted:

yeah it seems like dumb fan + smart switch is the way to go. I’d have to rewire the fan in my dining room to get that to work so I’ve settled for just putting some hue bulbs in the thing so I can turn the lights on and off without YANKING THE WRONG GODDAMN CHAIN EVERY SINGLE loving TIME

if you are okay with not having pull chains anymore and want smart control of both the fan and light via little physical remote control and homekit, i strongly recommend the https://sonoff.tech/product/diy-smart-switches/ifan04-l/ with the firmware i linked

a fan with pull switches could be rewired to that controller, just bypass the switches, with the controller between the house wiring and the motor or light bulbs instead of the pull chains witches

we have a ceiling fan in our kitchen that i will likely smarten that way too, the three-speed fan pull switch is wearing out, so replacing it is on my list of projects for the next few weeks, and spending $34 to connect it to homekit seems even better

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Clark Nova posted:

you know you can put a label on the chains

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i refuse to smarthome and our ceiling fans have cute lil remotes we stuck on the wall next to the lightswitch. they work great a+++ recommend. you can even change color temp and intensity

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i simply pull the correct chain for the function i want

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

*FLUSH*

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

aren’t most of the chains different lengths to avoid the need for this already

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

this doesn't work.

I don't believe you.

Lysidas posted:

if you are okay with not having pull chains anymore and want smart control of both the fan and light via little physical remote control and homekit, i strongly recommend the https://sonoff.tech/product/diy-smart-switches/ifan04-l/ with the firmware i linked

a fan with pull switches could be rewired to that controller, just bypass the switches, with the controller between the house wiring and the motor or light bulbs instead of the pull chains witches

we have a ceiling fan in our kitchen that i will likely smarten that way too, the three-speed fan pull switch is wearing out, so replacing it is on my list of projects for the next few weeks, and spending $34 to connect it to homekit seems even better

gonna look in to this!

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Chris Knight posted:

i 3d printed replacement uhh the things that are at the end of the chain, one that looks like a lightbulb and one that looks like a fan.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Elder Postsman posted:

i 3d printed replacement uhh the things that are at the end of the chain, one that looks like a lightbulb and one that looks like a fan.

this is the nerdiest thing ever and i love it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Elder Postsman posted:

i always called them plumbbobs :shrug:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Elder Postsman posted:

:)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Elder Postsman posted:

this is a good idea and you could definitely sell these. probably not for enough to make it worth your while, but still

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Elder Postsman posted:

love it

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Achmed Jones posted:

this is a good idea and you could definitely sell these. probably not for enough to make it worth your while, but still

nah but here's the stls https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UVJi3vuB10cFlewl0jdiVuVn1LW02DkT/view?usp=sharing

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

my god

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the chain thing for the light fell out of my ceiling fan so i simply unscrew the bulbs. back 2 basics my friends....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

the chain thing for the light fell out of my ceiling fan so i simply unscrew the bulbs. back 2 basics my friends....

quote:

Seeing a child drinking from his hands, Diogenes threw away his cup and remarked, "A child has beaten me in plainness of living."