Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you want a fine grained book about cultural aspects, ekman also has one de facto spread through out the papers. mans 90something and still cranks them out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

rotor posted:

i'm getting word that american culture reached back in time to poison Holland in the early 1600s

this man is clearly engaging in a threat display (bared teeth, clenched fist)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if you want a fine grained book about cultural aspects, ekman also has one de facto spread through out the papers. mans 90something and still cranks them out

what i want is for you to admit defeat on the point that people showing their teeth while happy is a specifically american cultural export

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

BMan posted:

double digit %s of sumatrans unironically would say that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

double digit %s of sumatrans unironically would say that

so, a small minority of them according to that link you showed?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

fart simpson posted:

so, a small minority of them according to that link you showed?

yeah, but there's a difference between the 98% of scots and better than half for sumatrans

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ok lets just agree to admit that you were wrong

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
also my argument wasnt really a historical one, the american teeth smile did come from original places but i was saying the universality of the accepted teeth smile is because of world mass media.

in previous centuries they had surprisingly vicious backlashes against the toothed smile

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
guys stop trying to catch bob dobbs in an argument trap or whatever. he is giving all the fun stories from stanford classes for free. let him post them

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

DELETE CASCADE posted:

guys stop trying to catch bob dobbs in an argument trap or whatever. he is giving all the fun stories from stanford classes for free. let him post them

sorry im at work right now. its prime posting time for me.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the only thing i learned from my psych classes in undergrad was backpropagation. you too can learn this poo poo if you read a few papers for fun every week for 700 weeks

paul ekman is the 59th most cited psychologist of all time

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

fart simpson posted:

sorry im at work right now. its prime posting time for me.

same but in bed eatin jelly beans

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
gently caress these jelly beans are caffeinated

that explains my last 90 minutes lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
quad

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

FMguru posted:

here have some bubbel

https://twitter.com/RobertMaguire_/status/1648861391053283329

they really are all obsessed with the notion that their wfh employees are half-assing it and collecting 2-3 simultaneous paychecks

we will replace the woke millenials who are quiet quitting with 30-50 feral ai chathogs!

“use chat gpt to increase your productivity” is such a funny juxtaposition against “I think a lot of people are half assing it around here “

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

yeah i've always thought its weird that we have this bared teeth thing as an indicator of friendliness, what other animal does that?

I loving hate it. people have been telling me whole life “smile with your teeth” for photos. no. gently caress you!!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

maybe but there are a lot of people out there who think that smiling is just sort of baring your teeth in a grimace, like the smiling through the pain meme guy

edit: what's the deal with botox anyway I haven't seen anyone get it done and come out looking better than if they hadn't, just weird puffy cheeks and upside-down smiles

like most cosmetic procedures, you have definitely seen it a lot of times and not realized, because those ones were done well

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

post hole digger posted:

“use chat gpt to increase your productivity” is such a funny juxtaposition against “I think a lot of people are half assing it around here “

https://youtu.be/IPuZGC0DFr8

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

constantly beaming a fake-rear end toothy smile 24/7 whether you're genuinely loving happy or not is 2000% an american cultural export and it fuckin sucks

this is distinct from bob dobb's argument, which is dumb and wrong

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

i'm getting word that american culture reached back in time to poison Holland in the early 1600s

i mean bob dobbs is definitely wrong but all these images could be threat displays that you are recontextualising anachronistically

but they’re not, just saying if bob wanted to have an Internet Argument that would be a possible defence

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

BMan posted:

yeah this

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

hailthefish posted:

constantly beaming a fake-rear end toothy smile 24/7 whether you're genuinely loving happy or not is 2000% an american cultural export and it fuckin sucks

this is distinct from bob dobb's argument, which is dumb and wrong

i can never tell whether americans are ‘So pleased to meet’ me or not. most evidence points to not but they sure are intense about it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

we'll have to agree to disagree

what is wrong with you are brain

Carrier
May 12, 2009

rotor posted:

tulipbro tells a friend to go gently caress themselves - Amsterdam, 1637

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

he aint showin his teeth

i want to go back to this for a sec and ask if you're like literally visually impaired or something

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 20, 2023

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Internet Janitor posted:

lots of animals groom and preen each other with their mouths, and the lips and tongue are among the most touch-sensitive tissues in the human body

Eating rear end is just Body Grooming, and who could be against that.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shame Boy posted:

on that note, what other kinda animal enjoys rubbing their eat holes together for fun

birds

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

git apologist posted:

i can never tell whether americans are ‘So pleased to meet’ me or not. most evidence points to not but they sure are intense about it

97% of the time it is a lie, but if you acknowledge this fact at any point somehow you're the weird one

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

if an american responds to "how's it going" with "it's going" that means "I want to loving die"

if they respond with "oh i'm great thanks for asking and how are you?!" they mean "hello, I exist and acknowledge that you also exist, please say the correct response to conclude this interaction"

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

the worst part about masking going away is now people loving expect me to smile at them all the time forever no matter what and I'm simply not interested

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

As a non neurotypical dude it took me an embarrassing amount of time to figure out that nobody was ever actually going to tell me how it's going, and they weren't being rude, it's just What You Do to have a little greeting exchange

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
the most horrible thing about the whole 'hows it going' ritual is that even the question of whether you should respond, respond and ask the same, or just ask the same, or not even acknowledge the question is so intensely regional and people take offense if you do it the wrong way

like there's parts of the us where 'heyhowaya' is a normal greeting that people aren't even supposed to respond to.
other places really expect you to answer 'fine thank you, and you?' or something like that.
in polite society in the uk you're supposed to respond to 'how do you do' with 'how do you do'

i have absolutely no problem with responding with the expected formula even if its an insincere 'fine, thank you', but these regional differences make it way too difficult to know what the desired response is.

what im saying is humans should be like apis and just respond with 200 without any other formulations needed

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

hailthefish posted:

the worst part about masking going away is now people loving expect me to smile at them all the time forever no matter what and I'm simply not interested

my fiancée and i both have resting stern face and look mad when concentrating and yeah it's a pain in the rear end

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

EricBauman posted:

what im saying is humans should be like apis and just respond with 200 without any other formulations needed

418, and you?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

EricBauman posted:

219 bithc

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/st...ingawful.com%2F

this is a very funny decision from Imgur

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

look how well it worked for tumblr!

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

looks like the SA staff is working on trying to mitigate the impact, at least

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030290

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

bring back waffleimages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im glad we in scandinavia just say "hi"

you might say "hva så" (whats up) if you are close friends and its been a while

e: okay you can say "good to see you" if its been a really long while

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 20, 2023