Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

i understand the sentiment about the writing team ostensibly dragging their feet but i feel like it works for the series. if publick & hammer can make it work on their own schedule then more power to them imo
the entire "writing team" is publick and hammer, they also direct all the episodes and do like half the voices

the venture brothers is one of my all time favorite series but I think its time has come, I just hope they do a supplement for the book with season 7 and the movie [which will be published in 2030]

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Beeftweeter posted:

i don't really like that one either. the next episode is pretty good though, a genie makes a guy hitler lol

the second season is a bit uneven. i had read that part of this is because they had to lower production costs, and they started shooting some episodes on videotape as a result. weirdly i think they also seemed to realize they were leaving the "better" ones for film

i mean maybe that's just personal bias because the remastered videotape episodes look like total rear end but i honestly can't remember one i thought was actually good anyway ("king nine will not return" is not good, but it's clearly film). imo you can skip the tape ones

I love the genie hitler one because the guy wanted to be the powerful leader of a country or some poo poo and he got transported to the bunker lmao this is after the genie hosed him over TWICE on his other poorly thought out wishes, so clearly he deserved it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I love the genie hitler one because the guy wanted to be the powerful leader of a country or some poo poo and he got transported to the bunker lmao this is after the genie hosed him over TWICE on his other poorly thought out wishes, so clearly he deserved it

i love that episode but the turn is so obvious lol

pretty good moral also, i guess it can be boiled down to "be happy with what you've got and don't try to rely on supernatural things to save you"

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

scott and keanu having a fun conversation about keanu's action movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUcRqFfjJSk

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

venture bros is great but the last season or two is kind of a slog, still haven't finished it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’ve been reading Shards of Earth and it’s good, probably my favorite Tchaikovsky book so far

shards? of earth?

no shade on the book but that name lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i liked Shards of Earth and just finished the sequel, Eyes of the Void which i was more luke warm on. Its not bad, but it basically ends on a setup for the 3rd book which comes out next month.

Whats some other stuff people have been reading recently? Some of the stuff i really liked in the last few years

A Memory Called Empire (the sequel was ok)
Ninefox Gambit (i liked the sequels too)
House of Suns
Other Tchaikovsky stuff like Children of Time, Elder Race, and The Expert System's Brother/Champion

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Shaggar posted:

have the sequel sitting around, liked memory a lot.

been reading through book three of whatever the big ship at the end of the universe trilogy is called. don't think it has the snap of the first two books but still has a bit of the magic

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shaggar posted:

i liked Shards of Earth and just finished the sequel, Eyes of the Void which i was more luke warm on. Its not bad, but it basically ends on a setup for the 3rd book which comes out next month.

Whats some other stuff people have been reading recently? Some of the stuff i really liked in the last few years

House of Suns
Other Tchaikovsky stuff like Children of Time, Elder Race, and The Expert System's Brother/Champion

I've just started Station Eleven, seems good so far.

The Shadow of the Torturer - liked this, the sequel less so
Red Plenty - OK
Spy novels (A Perfect Spy, The Quiet American) - excellent genre imo

I think you've already read Ancillary Justice.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I really didn't like A Memory Called Empire, the disconnect between the scale of the actual plot and characters and my expectations given the genre was something I just couldn't deal with

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

distortion park posted:

graham greene and john le carre are a good call. throw in some len deighton too

also if you havent read them go ahead and work your way through the classics of the hardboiled detective genre, especially raymond chandler (start with the big sleep) and dashiell hammett (red harvest will knock you on your rear end)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

have the sequel sitting around, liked memory a lot.

been reading through book three of whatever the big ship at the end of the universe trilogy is called. don't think it has the snap of the first two books but still has a bit of the magic

the sequel is not bad, i think it just feels rushed and i really liked the first one alot so that kind of impacts expectations.

Are you thinking of "The Exiled Fleet"? I think i was gonna try that one but never got around to it.

distortion park posted:

I've just started Station Eleven, seems good so far.

Red Plenty - OK

I think you've already read Ancillary Justice.

Ancillary Justice was good. I should probably try the sequels.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Shaggar posted:

the sequel is not bad, i think it just feels rushed and i really liked the first one alot so that kind of impacts expectations.

Are you thinking of "The Exiled Fleet"? I think i was gonna try that one but never got around to it.

"the salvagers" is the trilogy name

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Shaggar posted:

teah the whole series is great. there's also another book, Provenance, i think, that takes place in the same universe, also worth reading.

all of the murderbot diaries books are excellent and worth reading too imo. most of them are shorter, like, novellas i guess. they're a lot of fun.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FMguru posted:

graham greene and john le carre are a good call. throw in some len deighton too

also if you havent read them go ahead and work your way through the classics of the hardboiled detective genre, especially raymond chandler (start with the big sleep) and dashiell hammett (red harvest will knock you on your rear end)

i think i might take a break from scifi and do these cause i saw them recommended elsewhere and just forgot about them.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

"the salvagers" is the trilogy name

cool, putting it on the list

Elder Postsman posted:

teah the whole series is great. there's also another book, Provenance, i think, that takes place in the same universe, also worth reading.

all of the murderbot diaries books are excellent and worth reading too imo. most of them are shorter, like, novellas i guess. they're a lot of fun.

i read the first murderbot and was kinda meh on it. Amazon loving loooooooves to recomend the sequels tho.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

distortion park posted:

I'm wrapping up The Book of the New Sun series (Urth) now actually it's really good. I can't even remember the second one at this point very distinctly as the series kinda jumps all over... IIRC the first one ends kind of on a climax then the second just kinda skips ahead after it and you have no idea whats going on / it's kinda boring? if I'm right then yea as I recall the second book is a little slow but it picks back up eventually and I thought books 3/4/5 just keep getting better.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Elder Postsman posted:

Leckie also has a new book coming out next month, Translation State

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I’ve been watching Genndy Tartakovsky’s Primal, and it is probably one of the best animated shows I’ve watched. I really like how most of the dialog is with facial expressions, and for having no intelligible dialog I’ve teared up multiple times

really really impressive show that happens to have dinosaurs, cave men, and uh Vikings

it's really good

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Mr. Crow posted:

I'm wrapping up The Book of the New Sun series (Urth) now actually it's really good. I can't even remember the second one at this point very distinctly as the series kinda jumps all over... IIRC the first one ends kind of on a climax then the second just kinda skips ahead after it and you have no idea whats going on / it's kinda boring? if I'm right then yea as I recall the second book is a little slow but it picks back up eventually and I thought books 3/4/5 just keep getting better.

gene wolfe's writing kicks rear end

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I enjoyed the ancillary sequels so much less than justice, it's like "here's this huge empire, now all that galactic civil war is going to happen off screen while we have a murder mystery and get real mad about teacups"

they're not bad and I enjoy leckie's writing but don't measure up to the scale implied in the first book

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I borrowed "changing seasons" by stephen king and it's weird to read these stories that are much more famous as movies. apt pupil is a whole lot more grim in the original story which is saying a lot because the movie is not exactly a laugh riot. also the entirety of the shawshank redemption was narrated by morgan freeman in my head

I've been trying to read more not white dude genre stuff lately, city of brass was good and I've bought the sequel. I also read gideon the ninth and it was pretty entertaining plus the worldbuilding was pretty original

qirex fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 20, 2023

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

re: ancillary series
agreed

the 2nd and 3rd book could have been condensed into a one-off that happens in the same universe

still enjoyed them though

also, taking the opportunity to plug The Raven Tower

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shaggar posted:

I didn't love them but that might just have been in comparison to the first, which felt revalatory to read.

Mr. Crow posted:

I'm going to keep going just because I think the world building is very cool and I like the style a lot, I just didn't enjoy some of the characters that much. I adore the constant bombardment of half formed ideas.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've tried three times to read gideon and have bounced of early every one

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah raven tower was cool but man I do not prefer second person fiction

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
confession: despite living in maine for most of my life, i have never read a Stephen King book

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

read a short story collection of his. skeleton crew is good

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Shaggar posted:

confession: despite living in maine for most of my life, i have never read a Stephen King book

take it to the confessions thread

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I bought the dark forest but haven’t had a chance to start it yet

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

qirex posted:

I borrowed "changing seasons" by stephen king and it's weird to read these stories that are much more famous as movies. apt pupil is a whole lot more grim in the original story which is saying a lot because the movie is not exactly a laugh riot. also the entirety of the shawshank redemption was narrated by morgan freeman in my head

I've been trying to read more not white dude genre stuff lately, city of brass was good and I've bought the sequel. I also read gideon the ninth and it was pretty entertaining plus the worldbuilding was pretty original

i liked the fifth season series. they start at like 9.5/10 and finish at a 7 or 8

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
read anything by Octavia Butler, an American treasure

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Shaggar posted:

House of Suns

the Kameron Hurley worldbreaker books are excellent, nominally fantasy but not really adopting any fantasy tropes.
the first Derek Künsken Quantum Magician book, the sequels much less so.
Walter John Wiliams Dread Empire books for good old fashioned space opera.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Walter John Wiliams Dread Empire books for good old fashioned space opera.
yeah those are fun

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

the first Derek Künsken Quantum Magician book, the sequels much less so.

i'm going through the most recent one and yeah, the sequels aren't as good but as audiobooks they're easy listening. space political intrigue is fine and all but i prefer the space heist energy in first book more

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’ve been reading Shards of Earth and it’s good, probably my favorite Tchaikovsky book so far

I have a love/hate with AT, I absolutely couldn't get away with SHARDS OF EARTH - while the central conceit was OK for your general Space Opera (though it felt like something of a Neal Asher knockoff with ultratech planet-killers) the book felt like it went on and on too long by about half, and the fact that he did the 'Oh no, the Architect, if only I could think hard enough it would go away! <thinks really hard> Ok it has gone' three times? in the book. I was Oh God Please Finish by about three-quarters through.

The 'CHILDREN OF ...' Spiders and Octopuses uplift books of his I liked a lot (haven't read the third in the series yet) , DOGS OF WAR is still a must-read, and CAGE OF SOULS that has divisive reviews I really enjoyed.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

also c book s I never read Gibson's 'Blue Ant' books before and I'm enjoying them well enough, though them being so much closer to 'the future' than the Sprawl books are makes a lot of the tech less 'spooky prescience' and more 'extrapolation from WIRED articles he read' - the stuff at the beginning of SPOOK COUNTRY with the VR/GPS Celebrity Deaths art pieces is something I could easily see right now, and for a book written in 2007 its not such a quantum jump in concepts. Still fun reads, though.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Ancillary Justice relies on a gimmick (which is great); but the sequels can't reuse the same gimmick and they are merely very good.

Basically every novel series has this problem -- the first book is outstanding because the author has been refining it for a decade before they convinced a publisher to buy it; but the publisher bought a trilogy and now the author has twelve months to pump out the middle sequel and it can't possibly be as good.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

also c book s I never read Gibson's 'Blue Ant' books before and I'm enjoying them well enough, though them being so much closer to 'the future' than the Sprawl books are makes a lot of the tech less 'spooky prescience' and more 'extrapolation from WIRED articles he read' - the stuff at the beginning of SPOOK COUNTRY with the VR/GPS Celebrity Deaths art pieces is something I could easily see right now, and for a book written in 2007 its not such a quantum jump in concepts. Still fun reads, though.

the series is good, but odd. idk exactly how i felt about them by the end.

it is as you noted, barely even speculative fiction, coming from gibson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

infernal machines posted:

the series is good, but odd. idk exactly how i felt about them by the end.

it is as you noted, barely even speculative fiction, coming from gibson

Reading some refs I found this:

quote:

https://brill.com/display/book/9789004533288/BP000010.xml

We all live in the Forever Now. It was exactly this conclusion that in 2003
prompted Gibson to abandon the future as his literary setting of choice.
Between the years 2003 and 2010, the writer published three novels, which came
to be known as the “Bigend” or “Blue Ant Trilogy;” the novels include Pattern
Recognition (2003), Spook Country (2007), and Zero History (2010). Although
speculative in character, all three Bigend novels are set in the present, with
Gibson intentionally removing the “future lens” through which he would com-
ment on reality in his previous writings. Why bother to extrapolate, the writer
seems to be asking, if the future is now? The assumption Gibson operates on,
to quote Shaviro, is “that the actual world today is science-fictional enough
as not to require fictive extrapolation” (“Hypermediated Minimalism” 16).

welp; :o:

Also lol the throwaway line I just read that in PATTERN RECOGNITION the search for the mysterious film footage clip creators that the protagonist Cayce Pollard agonises over not revealing in case it gets twisted by the big money of Bigend's advertising company, the film clips in SPOOK COUNTRY have now been edited to include shoe advertisements in the background; I'm just imagining Cayce going ah lads I've done it now. :o: