Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

There are so many things Tom could do to make Tony more of a sympathetic character, but he just...doesnt do any of them. It's kind of baffling. And like others have mentioned, Tom isn't going the other direction either of having him be an antagonist for Annie to overcome. Instead he seems to think this wishy washy, abusive middle ground is the best outcome?

It's because he does/did not realize that he has depicted Tony as an abusive father. It's obvious his goal was to depict Tony as a flawed father who Annie was eventually able to come to terms with and understand that her parents aren't perfect people, so it's a sign of maturity that she accepts him.

The incredible backlash towards Tony may have made Tom realize the inconsistencies of how he perceives him and how the text illustrates him, but it is obvious that Tom is not interested in examining why those inconsistencies exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
We already know how Tony won Kat over so easily. Mind control. Sure, Kat’s parents say that’s not true, but how would they know? They’ve been exposed to Tony’s hypnotism rays for years! This will all be revealed as part of the same twist that makes Annie fusion retroactively good, you’ll see.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Snake Maze posted:

We already know how Tony won Kat over so easily. Mind control. Sure, Kat’s parents say that’s not true, but how would they know? They’ve been exposed to Tony’s hypnotism rays for years! This will all be revealed as part of the same twist that makes Annie fusion retroactively good, you’ll see.

With all the "shocking twists" and established stuff thrown out the window at a moment's notice. Anything is as likely as anything else so sure. Why not.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Tom needs to hurry up and bring Tony back into the narrative so we can maintain this level of Tony Posting at all times.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CodfishCartographer posted:

Anxiety brain is powerful, and I can honestly see this counting as Tony "talking" to Annie and thus he'd be unable to. Same with any other proxy way of talking to her, such as asking someone he CAN talk with to relay a message, etc. That being said, it wouldn't hurt to show us Tony trying those things and failing. Or like you said, show him trying to help Annie in ways that don't directly involve talking to her, to show that he truly does care about her. Just because he can't communicate with her doesn't mean he can't work to help her!

There are so many things Tom could do to make Tony more of a sympathetic character, but he just...doesnt do any of them. It's kind of baffling. And like others have mentioned, Tom isn't going the other direction either of having him be an antagonist for Annie to overcome. Instead he seems to think this wishy washy, abusive middle ground is the best outcome?
"Hello Anthony, how is the omega project progressing?"
"..."
"Mr Carver?"
"...it's fine..."
*exasperated sigh* "Hello Anthony, how is the omega project progressing and also I promise not to tell anyone"
"Thanks Greg. We've made excellent progress on the transluminar attractor and expect to complete on target. The five-fold path simulation is up to three full folds with folds gamma and zeta at 25% and 75% respectively. How's the wife and kids? Don't tell them I asked."

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Skippy McPants posted:

The only way for people to make friends with Tony is off-screen because nothing he can show us will balance out how he treats his daughter.

I think this was a huge breaking point in the comic for me as well, especially with somebody who's *had* an emotionally abusive father. Just, saying "everything's cool and solved now, don't look behind the curtain at everything I've set up throughout the whole comic!" is loving buckwild to expect your readers to buy. I haven't kept up with things regularly since the Two Annies/Tony's Bizarre Redemption "Arc" catastrophe.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more it seems that the only way the whole thing makes sense is if we genuinely weren't meant to see Tony Carver's actions as actual abuse, just the failings of a flawed father.*

That's why we have Kat's father telling Annie about that story with Brinnie, many chapters before Tony returned to the Court and had that whole sequence over the next few chapters read like he is a villain who turns Annie's life upside down. We were meant to "be hoodwinked", so to speak, just like Annie and her classmates (and Kat, initially), but then once Annie got to know her dad better we were supposed to realize he is not a bad person, just flawed, forgive him with her and move on to the next plot.

But the problem was that the negative effect Tony had on Annie over the whole story rang way too true to life for that to work out. That was severe emotional damage Annie suffered over her the whole of her childhood and several of her teenage years, not just the unfortunate moments of mild dysfunction that come with being an imperfect human being, raised by other imperfect human beings, to be brushed aside and forgotten once children learn their parents aren't perfect.

So to anyone who has witnessed or lived similar life situations, Annie is doing the best she can in her situation, doing all the emotional labor of assuming the best of her father all the time, brushing aside her own feelings to aid in an adult's recovery. And without getting too personal, but being there sucks. It's putting your emotional life and development on-hold until you pass crisis mode and then all the things you had buried will come out when something triggers them, either by entering a new life stage or by reaching enough stability to feel safe enough.

And so to anyone that knows what that is like, it's like waiting for the other shoe to drop. Annie is portrayed in that conversation with Jones like someone who has reached some sort of zen state of profound realization and emotional maturity, but the truth is that she is taking on a huge debt her future self will have to pay and the rest of the comic pretends it isn't so, and that really really sucks to see.

edit: * Because maybe the point of contention for the author here is that intent doesn't decide effect when it comes to abuse? Tony isn't a monster, he cleary doesn't mean to hurt Annie. That doesn't mean he isn't doing it. Someone being sorry doesn't mean you have to continue subjecting yourself to pain, or pretending like the pain isn't there, or like it was worth it and things will be better now if you grin and bear it. I mean I'm preaching to the choir by now because anyone who didn't already side-eye how the comic developed Tony's relationship to Annie is probably long gone from the thread but it feels like I have to write it anyway

isasphere fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 18, 2023

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I think it comes down to the fact that Tom, as the comic made clear eventually, doesn't see Tony as abusive.

I think this was meant to be a story of Annie having trouble coping with her father's absence, because she didn't know enough about him. Kat's sudden turnaround was supposed to be surprising, but also an early clue that Annie was missing something. Tony turns out to have a heart of gold underneath it all, happy ending.

Of course if you recognize the abuse, then the rest of it is a mess.

E: lol I sat on this post on my phone for way too long, beaten.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 18, 2023

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Ditocoaf posted:

I think it comes down to the fact that Tom, as the comic made clear eventually, doesn't see Tony as abusive.

I think this was meant to be a story of Annie having trouble coping with her father's absence, because she didn't know enough about him. Kat's sudden turnaround was supposed to be surprising, but also an early clue that Annie was missing something. Tony turns out to have a heart of gold underneath it all, happy ending.

Of course if you recognize the abuse, then the rest of it is a mess.

E: lol I sat on this post on my phone for way too long, beaten.

lol, at least it's not just me

edit: also I think this point has been made before in the thread but gently caress if my memory can pull the posts up to the surface

isasphere fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 18, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

isasphere posted:

edit: also I think this point has been made before in the thread but gently caress if my memory can pull the posts up to the surface

Tony has come up so many times I think every point that could be made has probably been made multiple times including this one.

But to be fair Mindcage in particular and it's terrible "resolution" to the whole Tony thing was the moment that really turned people away in droves from the comic. So it's a pretty important topic to discuss and probably more interesting than whatever is happening in the comic now. Even if the same sort of points are being made each time it comes up.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

isasphere posted:

No it’s definitely not just you. Tom might be the only person on earth who didn’t read Tony as abusive.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, like, you can go back and look in this very thread. Every single person read Tony as an antagonist. It seemed obvious, even after his backstory and motive were revealed because none of that justified abusing his child. It was even good, at the time, because he was a well-written and well-characterized piece of poo poo. We were all waiting patiently for the arc to pay off.

But then it... uhh. It didn't.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I said this a while back,

quote:

I think the ultimate problem with Tony is that the comic was actually too good, artistically speaking. Because Tony is a masterclass in how to introduce an incredibly loathesome villain. The pump is primed with all his prior behaviour trickled in - his neglect and how it harms Annie - while Kat acts as an audience surrogate seething over the abuse. When he finally bursts onto the scene, it is horrific and incredibly effective.

The public humiliation, extra sympathetic given most everyone in the audience has likely either witnessed a case of a loathesome unredeemable teacher abusing their power, or else has grown up with media using that common trope. The panels/art style devolving to be more childlike to reflect an emotional breakdown. Annie and the readers sudden isolation from the beloved cast who we care about and want to see again. The art shifting from lush colourscapes and intricate backgrouns to blank white walls. Annie commiting what is very clearly analogous to self-harm when she literally cuts a part of herself off to disconnect from her emotions.

It's like he wanted to present a neglectful father who can be sympathised with once his reasons are explored buuut instead overshot into a portrayal of an emotionally abusive bastard who tears asunder even the art itself on his arrival, bringing with him a presentation of emotional abuse (as opposed to say, a stabbing ghost villain) so realistic it probably could do with trigger warnings.

I imagine the audience had an unexpected level "holy poo poo this is SO hosed up and unforgivable" reaction to the text. Because you can't monologue and Kat liking him off-screen your way out of that hole, and the redemption arc provided didn't get close - it would have worked for the bad dad, but not a monstrous dad. So first the narrative scrambles to toss flashbacks at the readers and all the characters teaming up to talk about how sympathetic/needing to be understood/deep and troubled Poochie is, and then when that all seems to barely scratch the audience's perception, we're given an "actually he's fine this is fine" monologue and he's written out. Only there seems to a gaping hole where Tony conversations would make sense.

It's basically a victim of the level of talent brought to the table at the time. Tony's introduction was too well-done, where a scene that used less impactful imagery would have softened the blow. Imagine one where the art style doesn't change to show her distress. One where she's less isolated and still keeps her friends by sneaking around and thus retains her agency and the cast while making him look weaker, in a YA novel style where the plucky heroine overcomes the rules.

In my opinion, the comic dropped a nuke when it was meaning to lob a grenade.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh hey, the zombie apocalypse happened because Skynet had a reasonable breakup. Why the gently caress was the first page on the last chapter if it turns out "undead rovot apocalypse" was just "the dormant robots wanted to cheer up their goddess'?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
In this chapter, we discover that the entire purpose of the robot cult storyline was to lure Loup and Laina from hiding. :v:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This page is very pretty!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Randalor posted:

Oh hey, the zombie apocalypse happened because Skynet had a reasonable breakup. Why the gently caress was the first page on the last chapter if it turns out "undead rovot apocalypse" was just "the dormant robots wanted to cheer up their goddess'?

I can see Kat going "no it's fine, I'm sad but it's ok" and the robots going "NO IT'S THE WORST" because they have no concept of a reasonable breakup, their only metric is Diego.

We'll see, I'd completely forgotten about that page.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, like, you can go back and look in this very thread. Every single person read Tony as an antagonist. It seemed obvious, even after his backstory and motive were revealed because none of that justified abusing his child. It was even good, at the time, because he was a well-written and well-characterized piece of poo poo. We were all waiting patiently for the arc to pay off.

But then it... uhh. It didn't.
And that arc didn't even have to end with Tony as an antagonist. Again it's been said before, including by me, but the thing about a redemption arc is it has to include some actual redemption.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Splicer posted:

And that arc didn't even have to end with Tony as an antagonist. Again it's been said before, including by me, but the thing about a redemption arc is it has to include some actual redemption.

it's not supposed to be a redemption arc, it's supposed to be a "growing up and coming to terms with other people and their flaws" arc, and it completely fuckin missed the mark on that, and left a lot of people feeling insulted that the moral seems to be "just forgive your abuser and be happy anyway."

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/comics/00002773.jpg

So sad can we get an F in the chat?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Our goddess is single? Perhaps it is time for Boxbot to make his move

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Ngl I immediately thought 4 chan npc memes with the grey masses.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

So-called free thinkers when their beloved angel loses her consort

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Ah poo poo, she got Diego'd

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I'm actually now very glad that Paz is going back to her family, I didn't think of how the robots would have taken their break up.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
the comic has just become an extended metaphor for how everyone with the brains and means to do so are getting out of britain while the gettins good

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Tree Reformat posted:

the comic has just become an extended metaphor for how everyone with the brains and means to do so are getting out of britain while the gettins good before the walls go up

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
oh christ please no

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

A big flaming stink posted:

oh christ please no

me: oh it can’t be THAT bad, at least Kat is centre stage

I am a fool. A dunce. A clown.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

coolusername posted:

me: oh it can’t be THAT bad, at least Kat is centre stage

I am a fool. A dunce. A clown.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

ahahahaha, amazing. You thought this chapter wasn't about Jerrek? Realize the depths of your naivete, as we suddenly check in on Jerrek in a featureless room somewhere. He's been reading over your shoulder this whole time. The real Gunnerkrigg Court starts now.

edit: ...poo poo. I think this reaction means I've finished mourning, and am now just fully hate-reading GC. I don't wanna do that. Maybe time to stop reading again for a while, until curiosity draws me back again like it did last time.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 21, 2023

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Here we, here we go again!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ditocoaf posted:

ahahahaha, amazing. You thought this chapter wasn't about Jerrek? Realize the depths of your naivete, as we suddenly check in on Jerrek in a featureless room somewhere. He's been reading over your shoulder this whole time. The real Gunnerkrigg Court starts now.

edit: ...poo poo. I think this reaction means I've finished mourning, and am now just fully hate-reading GC. I don't wanna do that. Maybe time to stop reading again for a while, until curiosity draws me back again like it did last time.

It will still be bad when you come back, leading you to hate read anew.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Jerrek more like Jerk! t:mad:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Finally, an interesting character!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ohhhhh maybe this whole storyline is supposed to be farcical. I kept hearing the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme while reading this page.

I genuinely doubt it, but it makes more sense if we're supposed to interpret this as a comedy of errors.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
It's pretty interesting and a bit unexpected that Loup seems to have fully internalized the viewpoint robots have about Kat, to the point he calls her "angel".

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Lt. Lizard posted:

In this chapter, we discover that the entire purpose of the robot cult storyline was to lure Loup and Laina from hiding. :v:

Also nice call :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

MOTHERFU