Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

even a base 3060 will improve on a 1070ti and its considered a underpowered piece of poo poo, a 3070 is a good card. if you wait a few weeks though the 4070 might come down to around $500, nvidia already started sending rebates to manufacturers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

bump_fn posted:

lol if ff5 emulation wasn't wehre you first learned that many early snes emulators couldnt do transparent layers, and so you had to specificalyl turn off the fog layer in teh ghost ship

itym the ruined dome in chrono trigger

the CT soundtrack still exists in my head at 0.6x because my PC was not fast enough to play it at full speed

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

bump_fn posted:

lol if ff5 emulation wasn't wehre you first learned that many early snes emulators couldnt do transparent layers, and so you had to specificalyl turn off the fog layer in teh ghost ship
somehow this makes me feel very, very old :corsair:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Jenny Agutter posted:

even a base 3060 will improve on a 1070ti and its considered a underpowered piece of poo poo, a 3070 is a good card. if you wait a few weeks though the 4070 might come down to around $500, nvidia already started sending rebates to manufacturers

lol ok yeah there are already 4070s going for only £50 more than a 3070 so you're spot on

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

bump_fn posted:

the ff6 wind effect sounding like the screams of the damned in old emulators

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Sapozhnik posted:

the CT soundtrack still exists in my head at 0.6x because my PC was not fast enough to play it at full speed

I forgot about the old jank poo poo I would put up with because free snes games!

now I love the jank and will seek out the worst titles to play and enjoy

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I forgot about the old jank poo poo I would put up with because free snes games!

now I love the jank and will seek out the worst titles to play and enjoy

the real early, janky days were the era of stuff like vsmc that barely ran 3 games with no sound at 5fps that the author wanted $20 in 1995 dollars for

when zsnes came along, it was essentially magic

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Sapozhnik posted:

that’s awesome

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/blasphemous-switch/

Saw that blasphemous was finally on sale. It's a generic metroidvania with a cool aesthetic. Probably the best part of the game are the boss fights.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

AnimeIsTrash posted:

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/blasphemous-switch/

Saw that blasphemous was finally on sale. It's a generic metroidvania with a cool aesthetic. Probably the best part of the game are the boss fights.

Blasphemous is really good, def worth the sale

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
neat, reminds me of sundered, which i played through multiple times

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Blasphemous is really cool looking and sounding but outside of bosses I didn't enjoy playing it enough to finish. Just felt a bit too... not plodding, exactly, but close enough

Idk maybe I'll give it one more shot before TotK consumes my life

(e) don't remember the others i saw too well but that first boss after the opening sticks in my memory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cElQ_MsHxJs&t=34s

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 21, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

best played with the Spanish voice acting

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Blasphemous is straight up gorgeous, but man gently caress those Bloodstained crossover platforming sections. Rest of the game was pretty fun but that engine is just not built for precision platforming.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

jedi survivor achievements dropped

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
bridget is boring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq6G9hdGwB0

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

played some more botw. husband didn't really want to play his save, so i took it over :ssh:

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Gnossiennes posted:

played some more botw. husband didn't really want to play his save, so i took it over :ssh:

that’s grounds for divorce!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Lysidas posted:

neat, reminds me of sundered, which i played through multiple times
gameplay wise sundered is very very different. sundered has fast paced "rush" sections aplenty and nothing about blasphemous is a rush.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

just ran the first two levels of the new desktop dungeons over my morning coffee. desktop dungeons is back, baby

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

bridget has all her arms :colbert:

still dumb that neither was a base character

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

more 2d platformers/metroidvanias/etc need to slavishly copy the movement from Ori & the Will of the Wisps. that game's got flow

by "more" I mean "any", I haven't seen anything else like it at all and more's the pity

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

quiggy posted:

just ran the first two levels of the new desktop dungeons over my morning coffee. desktop dungeons is back, baby

loving loving it already

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

quiggy posted:

i nabbed it while it was free, but haven't had a chance to look/go through it at all. noticed there's one labelled "rewind" as well

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

rewind is the new one and it was free if you owned the previous one

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh that's where that came from

i don't remember ever actually playing the original but i definitely own it so uh, yay freebie???

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

oh, i see! i haven't really been playing much this past week or three

but since it's friday, i think i can get away with playing games at work

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ciaphas posted:

Blasphemous is really cool looking and sounding but outside of bosses I didn't enjoy playing it enough to finish. Just felt a bit too... not plodding, exactly, but close enough

(e) don't remember the others i saw too well but that first boss after the opening sticks in my memory

i think the combat is pretty par the course for a metroidvania but yeah most of the enemies past a certain point are just reskins

the parry mechanic also feels super busted

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

parries are always either super busted or useless, it's gaming law

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Oh lol, I was wondering why it was on sale. They released a trailer for the 2nd one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReA837m2VgY

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Ciaphas posted:

i enjoyed blasphemous for the aesthetics but the movement just felt stiff and just a little sticky when it came to the platforming. just like moving through molasses in comparison to contemporaries like hollow knight, dead cells etc.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

god dammit who mentioned vampire survivors in a thread as a phone game? This is gonna suck up so much time.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

well, it is friday

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Radio Paranoia posted:

i enjoyed blasphemous for the aesthetics but the movement just felt stiff and just a little sticky when it came to the platforming. just like moving through molasses in comparison to contemporaries like hollow knight, dead cells etc.
yeah i reinstalled it last night to see if i really wanted to try it again and nope, Dead Cells especially has spoiled the hell out of me for 2d platforming & melee. all the amazing and hosed up Catholic imagery in the world can't save it

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 21, 2023

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
blasphemy looks 2 spooky for me

Radio Paranoia posted:

just like moving through molasses in comparison to contemporaries like hollow knight, dead cells etc.

dead cells feels so good

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

graph posted:

dead cells feels so good

shame about the whole roguelike thing

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

dead cells was a lot of fun

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

dead cells feels really good to play but is super let down by its roguelike structure. indie games should stop being roguelikes for a while imo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i like rougelikes (a lot, even) but dead cells didn't really have staying power for me once i'd gone through once. its mechanics weren't varied/interesting enough to actually support rougelike run-based staying power. instead of feeling like i had a good successful run through the game, it felt like i had finished a game, and that game happened to use randomized levels.

i understand that my description above isn't really working. trying again: i guess the problem was that the rng didn't feel like it changed the game enough to make subsequent runthroughs meaningfully different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
im not exactly sure when the formula peaked but it sure as hell has gotten tiresome thats for sure