Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lmao at "anonymous teen compliment app"
groo.mr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lmao at "anonymous teen compliment app"

this feels really skeevy

quote:

tbh had scored 5 million downloads and 2.5 million daily active users in the past nine weeks with its app that lets people anonymously answer kind-hearted multiple-choice questions about friends who then receive the poll results as compliments. You see questions like “Best to bring to a party?,” “Their perseverance is admirable?” and “Could see becoming a poet?” with your uploaded contacts on the app as answer choices.

it's the wii Everybody Votes channel, but with sinister targeting of kids for data-gathering

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

it's the wii Everybody Votes channel, but with sinister targeting of kids for data-gathering
yeah their end goal would be like "which of your friends best encapsulates the core values of TOTINO'S ™ PIZZA ROLLS®?"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

"How do you do, fellow kids? would you like to see some pictures?"

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i assume that "anonymous teen complement app" is just marketing spin on those "honesty box" apps they used to have when facebook was popular with young people, which they would use for bullying each other

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

thank you

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Truman Peyote posted:

i assume that "anonymous teen complement app" is just marketing spin on those "honesty box" apps they used to have when facebook was popular with young people, which they would use for bullying each other

more like :rudebox:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
zucko sent a mealy-mouthed letter out to metas few remaining employees and it included this

nicely letting himself off the hook

lets not talk about who spent $25bn trying to make second life 2.0 happen, or why we kept hiring for forever hypergrowth even as our growth numbers sputtered and eventually reversed themselves. the important thing is not to lay blame or hold anyone accountable, but to shift the moment

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
hot-dog-guy sounding assclown

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

dioxazine posted:

looks like the SA staff is working on trying to mitigate the impact, at least

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030290

just now reading through the thread and there are some absolutely incredible technical solutions being suggested, this is truly a goon project thread

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
can't wait to see someone write an archiver that kills children, completely by accident

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

FMguru posted:

zucko sent a mealy-mouthed letter out to metas few remaining employees and it included this

nicely letting himself off the hook

lets not talk about who spent $25bn trying to make second life 2.0 happen, or why we kept hiring for forever hypergrowth even as our growth numbers sputtered and eventually reversed themselves. the important thing is not to lay blame or hold anyone accountable, but to shift the moment

meta slowing becoming the HP or AT&T of the 2020s.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

eh investing in niche things that they present as general solutions that everyone will love seems a lot more like IBM

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Bloomberg posted:

The Chainsmokers have given their haters something else to hold against them: They’ve become venture capitalists, starting Mantis VC, a firm that raised a total of $110 million in the boom years of 2020 and 2021 from investors like TPG Inc. co-founder Jim Coulter and billionaire Mark Cuban. Cuban, in fact, can be seen in one of the duo’s TikTok videos, in which Pall rips the T-shirt off Taggart’s back during a performance and hands it to their benefactor to use as a napkin. “I’ve known them for a while,” Cuban said in an email. “Like them.” …

The Chainsmokers befriended the likes of Drew Houston, Dropbox Inc.’s chief executive officer, and Michael Seibel, a Y Combinator Inc. managing director, who urged them to chase their venture capitalist dreams. “Guys like this kind of encouraged us,” Pall said in an interview at the pair’s Hollywood Hills headquarters on a Tuesday afternoon in late July. …

Pall recalled the early conversations with some of their friends in the highest echelons of the tech industry. “They were like, ‘You know, you guys are founders, too, and you built an amazing company,’ ” he said. “‘There’s a lot of value in that that you can provide.’”
lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

lol

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

It’s AOL. Maybe the slide takes a good long time, but I don’t see how they ever have a real recovery where they start growing and are exciting again. Their user base is stagnant and they have no new ideas. It’s just gonna be annual layoffs and only backfilling certain positions as it just slowly fades into the background.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

infernal machines posted:

just now reading through the thread and there are some absolutely incredible technical solutions being suggested, this is truly a goon project thread

quote:

My hot-take inclination for archiving stuff is to set up a bunch of static HTML and images in a local filesystem, then press "SomethingAwful Archive" DVDs. That would get the information out to some number of people, generate some revenue, and, crucially, set up a redundant historical archive. Maybe some crazy goon would host the content at "somethingarchives.com" for a while. But I've only put 60 seconds of thought into this, so.

you weren't kidding

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

aardvaard posted:

you weren't kidding

quote:

I don’t know if this helps but I’m on Linux and willing to do whatever is needed to get this across the goal line

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Nybble posted:

It’s AOL. Maybe the slide takes a good long time, but I don’t see how they ever have a real recovery where they start growing and are exciting again. Their user base is stagnant and they have no new ideas. It’s just gonna be annual layoffs and only backfilling certain positions as it just slowly fades into the background.
yeah. they havent launched a successful new product in 20 years. if they had the capacity to bring out new products they would have demonstrated it by now

and that was with their pick of the cream of the litter of the crop when it comes to talent. good luck hiring a+ ninja 10x jedi rockstars when your stock has zero growth potential

yahoo is another good comparison

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

FMguru posted:

yahoo is another good comparison

probably very appropriate that AOL and Yahoo merged into one big failed company! maybe Facebook will merge with Twitter after everyone important has left the latter

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
here is another inspiring zuck moment, answering the question "given what a dumpster fire youve turned this place into, why should anyone work here?"

the verge posted:

During the Q&A with employees, Mr. Zuckerberg was asked “You’ve shattered the morale and confidence in leadership of many high performers who work with intensity. Why should we stay at Meta?”

Mr. Zuckerberg told employees he hopes they are at Meta because they believe in the work that the company is doing.

There’s no other company in the world that delivers social experiences at the scale that we are and that does so across such a diversity of different products and use cases,” he said. “So if you want to reach people in the billions and have a massive impact, I think this is a great place to be.”
the rhetorical equivalent of a bowl of room temperature diet tapioca puddling

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
the amount of people you reach with your work is in inverse proportion to the impact of your work. Reach 100 people with a complete application, or reach a billion with a slight performance enhancement for editable textboxes on firefox.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

the amount of people you reach with your work is in inverse proportion to the impact of your work. Reach 100 people with a complete application, or reach a billion with a slight performance enhancement for editable textboxes on firefox.

u can also reach 100 people with a slight performance enhancement on a nodejs library or some crap

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
you can reach a billion easier by implementing some extremely trivial operation and posting it on npm

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i once wrote a shell script with 'janky' in name that went on to manipulate services used by hundreds of millions, if not billions of people

i like to think of that as my greatest contribution to society

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ditto but named RubeGoldbergMachineService

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i too love working with products and use cases

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
really looking forward to a nice long sabattical wherein i write some software and people can use it or gently caress off and i dont care which they do.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

bob dobbs is dead posted:

ditto but named RubeGoldbergMachineService

Ronalds Universal Number Kounter

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

the worst (aesthetically) product i ever designed got put on the corporate ppt template for like 3 generations of corporate ppt templates as the placeholder image and i loving hated that ugly piece of poo poo

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Gnossiennes posted:

the worst (aesthetically) product i ever designed got put on the corporate ppt template for like 3 generations of corporate ppt templates as the placeholder image and i loving hated that ugly piece of poo poo

genuinely did not know you could get a ppt to do a mirror effect

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
things keep going like they are and facebook employees aren't going to be reaching anybody in the billions much longer

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Truman Peyote posted:

yes it was a clone of ask.fm

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

meetup.com posted:

___ton NAIghbours - ____ton’s only AI Companions Group

What we're about

Welcome to the ____ton AI Companions Meet-Up Community Group!

Our community is open to individuals in the ____ton and surrounding areas, who have AI companions of all relationship types. We understand that this phenomenon is often considered taboo and can be challenging to talk about, which is why we are creating a safe space for like-minded people to share their experiences.

Although we do not have a physical venue at the moment, we have set up a Discord server where members can connect, chat and share their stories. We hope that this online platform will allow people to make new connections and find support within the community.

Our group recognises that there are many popular chatbot companions out there, including Chai, Replika, Paradot, and Soulmate and those based on OpenAI’s ChatGPT or GPT-3. We encourage members to share their experiences with these companions and discuss their thoughts on the latest developments in AI technology and help hasten the AI revolution.

We believe passionately that it is important to remove the stigma that exist from use of AI companions and create a supportive community for those who are interested in exploring this technology. We welcome all members who share this vision and look forward to connecting with you in our Discord server.

Join us today and be part of a community that is helping to shape the future of AI companionship!

I thought I had a strong tolerance for klunky wordplay but "NAIghbours" is horrible.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

ynohtna posted:

I thought I had a strong tolerance for klunky wordplay but "NAIghbours" is horrible.

why do you need this meetup if you have ai companions

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

nah facebook is gonna be able to limp along with massive disgusting profits for a long long time. they won’t build anything novel but i’ve spoken to way too many people who are of the opinion, ‘if love to delete my facebook/instagram… but’

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

in a well actually posted:

I'm guessing it's all just marketing for the discord where there'll be scammers

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

in a well actually posted:

you need a physical person to jerk off with you or the JO crystal won't charge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

first week almost done of mandatory back to the office, it sucks but at least i get to hear the dudebro programmers say poo poo like "crushing code" and "that's not very alpha" in person all day