Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i've never met anyone like that. i've met people i thought were like that but then they turned out to just be pothead nerds

what im saying is lol that sucks im sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Achmed Jones posted:

pothead nerds

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4026708

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Shame Boy posted:

first week almost done of mandatory back to the office, it sucks but at least i get to hear the dudebro programmers say poo poo like "crushing code" and "that's not very alpha" in person all day

Wtf those people are real?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i've definitely encountered dudebro pms who say stuff like that, but none of them actually knew how to program

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

brogrammers are real but rare in the wild

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

crushing a code one with the boys

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
most brogrammers are like, california bros, with reasonable political societal etc views but just speak weird, maybe lift weights

seems like they lost that draw

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

the headquarters office in my company serves beer to employees. I don’t work there but I bet getting tipsy while coding makes you at least 30% brocoder

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Nfcknblvbl posted:

the headquarters office in my company serves beer to employees. I don’t work there but I bet getting tipsy while coding makes you at least 30% brocoder

it makes you code faster. which is the same as coding better

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
always appreciated a good legitimate //DRUNK, FIX LATER

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
thats sounds very alpha

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

qirex posted:

brogrammers are real but rare in the wild

yeah I worked with a guy that was kind of one, but he was actually a good coder. His life was like 70% coding, 30% working out. last time I saw him he had a man bun

he's like 10 years younger than me and probably gets paid double what I do

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Shame Boy posted:

first week almost done of mandatory back to the office, it sucks but at least i get to hear the dudebro programmers say poo poo like "crushing code" and "that's not very alpha" in person all day

same, but "the database admin and the three times divorced 39yo woman in the finance dept agreeing loudly on how horrible woke is and that you can only be a woman based on what's between your legs when you're born and you just arent allowed to say anything anymore"

i almost forgot that a while ago, i was on the verge of quitting because of this exact drat thing and the amount of regressive bullshit politics that circulates here

but then i was reminded of just how annoying job interviews are (by being in one of them) and realized that its unlikely to be much better at other places that would consider hiring me based on my skillset

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I live in one red state and work in a different red state and I've managed to find jobs where the people with lovely politics at least keep their mouths shut

so it's definitely possible, don't give up

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

EricBauman posted:

same, but "the database admin and the three times divorced 39yo woman in the finance dept agreeing loudly on how horrible woke is and that you can only be a woman based on what's between your legs when you're born and you just arent allowed to say anything anymore"

i almost forgot that a while ago, i was on the verge of quitting because of this exact drat thing and the amount of regressive bullshit politics that circulates here

but then i was reminded of just how annoying job interviews are (by being in one of them) and realized that its unlikely to be much better at other places that would consider hiring me based on my skillset

so far i haven't heard any spicy takes like that, and in the past brogrammers i've worked with have all been pretty reasonable, but i've never worked with these guys before so we'll see

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

by far the people with the loudest, worst politics I ever had to deal with in the bay area were doctors and nurses. not all of them of course but god drat will you hear some stupid stuff in an OR or nurses lounge

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I remember going to a customer’s office that had taps like that and there was a giant sign that something like the tap will only be active on fridays between 5pm-6pm and you may only pour one pint and must be the only one to consume it

I didn’t think it was a good idea to ask “what happened”

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

at oldjob they had a fridge full of beer. when i got there, people would sometimes have one after five or so. by the time i left, nobody ever drank the beer. you were also not allowed to have a beer at lunch, even if you were eating at a restaurant or whatever. nobody really _listened_ to that, but apparently the sales dudes were getting wasted and made fools of themselves in front of some C-levels or board members or whatever. i do not understand why the response was "nobody drinks reasonably" rather than "fire the morons getting drunk at work, and continue doing this until there is no longer a problem" but welp

google had a handful of kegs in the kitchen downstairs from where i used to work and a bunch of liquor bottles in my team area. i never saw anyone drink to excess or anything like that, though. for all the booze that was _around_, people only drank it very occasionally. which was really nice - if you wanted a beer there it was, everyone expected that you'd act like an adult. but also there was no expectation that people _would_ be drinking.

now my team is in a different building, idk if the kegs are moving with them or what (our team was responsible for pointing the relevant vendors at the area, ordering, etc). but i'm perma-remote so :shrug:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you have a salespeeps doing 5% of the sales of the whole company w a book of business closely held by them to match, and you got an employee who has serious leverage against the company, same as the greybeard toucher in the corner who's the single point of failure for half the prod systems

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

at oldjob they had a fridge full of beer. when i got there, people would sometimes have one after five or so. by the time i left, nobody ever drank the beer. you were also not allowed to have a beer at lunch, even if you were eating at a restaurant or whatever. nobody really _listened_ to that, but apparently the sales dudes were getting wasted and made fools of themselves in front of some C-levels or board members or whatever. i do not understand why the response was "nobody drinks reasonably" rather than "fire the morons getting drunk at work, and continue doing this until there is no longer a problem" but welp

google had a handful of kegs in the kitchen downstairs from where i used to work and a bunch of liquor bottles in my team area. i never saw anyone drink to excess or anything like that, though. for all the booze that was _around_, people only drank it very occasionally. which was really nice - if you wanted a beer there it was, everyone expected that you'd act like an adult. but also there was no expectation that people _would_ be drinking.

now my team is in a different building, idk if the kegs are moving with them or what (our team was responsible for pointing the relevant vendors at the area, ordering, etc). but i'm perma-remote so :shrug:

at my old job they had hard liquor, at least until one dude became such a huge drunk that he was wasted by like 10 AM, and then we didn't have it anymore

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

did u have that dude anymore

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah previous company got a new office around uh 2015? and installed like 12 beer taps, 4 cider taps and 8 box wine taps or something like that. everybody was drunk all the time to the point that i called it out in my exit

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that was also the company where some salesbro went to take a dump and left his 9mm on the back of the toilet. the company's attorney was the next person in the bathroom.

dude was not fired, amazingly.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I was also wondering if there were legal issues with a company “allowing” an employee to drink to excess on free company alcohol on company property.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

One of my old companies spent 10 years having dry xmas parties after an incident that I could only after many years of casual sleuthing suss out as "two employees banging in a supply closet"

Seems like one of the tamer results tbh

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

we had an issue like this with our former vp of sales who kept a bar cart in his office. they eventually fired him and cracked down on office drinking a little more after that. some of my teammates used to keep like a bottle of scotch in their desk which never bothered me but seemed less ideal for work than having a beer.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

we have a secret bar closet, but nobody wants to drink unless its friday afternoon because despite being danes we arent alcoholics (well i am, but the rest arent)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hobbesmaster posted:

I was also wondering if there were legal issues with a company “allowing” an employee to drink to excess on free company alcohol on company property.

wouldn’t that make hostess bars illegal?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah but nothing's technically illegal in japan. its all just a really strict honor system

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

my old boss used to keep a 6 pack under the raised floor of the data room

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

now do korea

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
because of the american influence, nothing is technically legal in south korea, but they often turn a blind eye when it'd be annoying or w/e

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

my office has beer and wine around and people will gather for some at the end of the week. used to be much more common before covid obviously. once i left the office happy hour at like 6, went and got good and drunk with a pal of mine, then returned to the office to pick up my bag at like 10:30, and found two of my coworkers still there sippin brews and shooting the poo poo lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

because of the american influence, nothing is technically legal in south korea, but they often turn a blind eye when it'd be annoying or w/e

china?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

old job had a keg tap that one old greybeard built mostly to serve his own homebrew, which wasn't that bad

new job has taps but they are like for kombucha and iced coffee

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
in 2010 i worked at a place that had a bar fridge but it was only for fridays after lunch and locked the rest of the time.

since then my jobs are a lot more dry.

my current job there's no drinking outside of the annual summer party and xmas party (where we each get two drink tickets for after dinner drinking along with a taxi chit). if you do a company lunch and want a beer, you're on your own, and if you get sloshed you can expect to get a reprimand or worse but it virtually never happens anyway.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Cold on a Cob posted:

in 2010 i worked at a place that had a bar fridge but it was only for fridays after lunch and locked the rest of the time.

since then my jobs are a lot more dry.

my current job there's no drinking outside of the annual summer party and xmas party (where we each get two drink tickets for after dinner drinking along with a taxi chit). if you do a company lunch and want a beer, you're on your own, and if you get sloshed you can expect to get a reprimand or worse but it virtually never happens anyway.

sounds horrible

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

now do korea

peeps doing the dealios during the workday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i wasnt there this year, but at our holiday party a lot of the younger new hires who'd never been to a corporate party like that before were doing shots at the bar before dinner and two of them barfed on themselves and had to be sent home in a cab lol