Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

my favoriute roguelike is pokemon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i do agree that it would've been better with actual curated/designed levels of course - not disagreeing there.

i very much like the "you gradually get stronger over time and are eventually strong enough to beat the game." this is because i am bad at games but it's still fun to eventually win

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i think hades was the last one that i truly enjoyed. does that count?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

im not exactly sure when the formula peaked but it sure as hell has gotten tiresome thats for sure

roguelites are much easier to create than other games. basically you don't have to balance them near as much, you just have to make sure that with enough hours everyone can beat it, and then let time to finish variability be your balancing. so long as most everyone can eventually beat it, and noone or almost noone can beat it the first time through (and if they do there's a difficulty spike for subsequent runs if they want it), you're basically done.

still have to make sure individual enemy types don't suck, you don't create unwinnable situations, etc. but as a cost-cutting measure it's brilliant. and that's the problem - when it becamse a shortcut instead of a carefully chosen design decision.

or not maybe it was always a shortcut and it just happened to work due to novelty, i've never published a game. i've never even got to the point of using sprites or models instead of generic shapes in my games.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i really should turn on rougelite mode for hades and just get stronger over time and then win. but for some reason i dont wanna do that. but regular mode is too hard for me, so i just....don't play it.

stupid dumb brain

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

been enjoying slay the spire and peglin recently. peglin is a bit sparse but it's also battle peggle so that helps.

need to get back into against the storm but there are a lot of changes and im intimidated.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mr. Crow posted:

im not exactly sure when the formula peaked but it sure as hell has gotten tiresome thats for sure

I filtered and sorted steam reviews and looks like we peaked in 2011/2012 with FTL and Binding of Isaac.

I should replay ftl it was so good

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

slay the spire remains the undefeated champion of the indie roguelike. well, that and spelunky

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

FTL is the bomb diggy but I have a hard time returning to it. i really played the poo poo out of it like 10 years ago

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

spelunky 2 is the best roguelike exactly because it has no meaningful progression, you start a run and its exactly like any other

Achmed Jones posted:

roguelites are much easier to create than other games. basically you don't have to balance them near as much, you just have to make sure that with enough hours everyone can beat it, and then let time to finish variability be your balancing. so long as most everyone can eventually beat it, and noone or almost noone can beat it the first time through (and if they do there's a difficulty spike for subsequent runs if they want it), you're basically done.

still have to make sure individual enemy types don't suck, you don't create unwinnable situations, etc. but as a cost-cutting measure it's brilliant. and that's the problem - when it becamse a shortcut instead of a carefully chosen design decision.

or not maybe it was always a shortcut and it just happened to work due to novelty, i've never published a game. i've never even got to the point of using sprites or models instead of generic shapes in my games.
while i agree with you to a point i think a good roguelike probably takes more work to balance and polish than other genres, derek yu's book about spelunky is very insightful about his methodology while making the game and id recommend giving it a read

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
ya i can't believe i forgot spelunky thats definitely a contender for top dog.

i lived the og game through college, so good

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Truman Peyote posted:

FTL is the bomb diggy but I have a hard time returning to it. i really played the poo poo out of it like 10 years ago

speaking of space games, introversion (darwinia, uplink) is making a new one called the last starship. kind of looking forward to this

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

if you want a great space game id recommend starsector, its really cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX0fw6dvxjo

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

starsector is really good and fun. i always murder tri-tachyon though

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh no blimp issue posted:

spelunky 2 is the best roguelike exactly because it has no meaningful progression, you start a run and its exactly like any other

while i agree with you to a point i think a good roguelike probably takes more work to balance and polish than other genres, derek yu's book about spelunky is very insightful about his methodology while making the game and id recommend giving it a read

yeah, but i said roguelite. over-time progression based on character strength and not player knowledge is like the core defining trait that separates the lites from the likes :)

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

let me just bust out the berlin interpretation

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

im sorry, your shops are modal????? get the gently caress out of here you loving casual

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i like rogues

(e) for me roguelikes tend to not have much staying power compared to more metaprog-driven games; one win and i'm good. unless it has a compelling narrative, or memorable music, or something else appealing enough to overcome the number-go-up brainworm

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 21, 2023

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

quiggy posted:

slay the spire remains the undefeated champion of the indie roguelike. well, that and spelunky
slay the spire is just so well balanced it’s crazy

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Slay the Spire > Into the Breach > Slice & Dice >>>>>>>>>>> anything else similar

but they're different enough that it depends on your mood. Slice and dice requires a lot less mental energy to pick up

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

jesus WEP posted:

it's incredible that they managed to make a game where no two runs are ever exactly the same and almost no cards are either never-picks or always-picks

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkw0dxbSKK4

Never have I backed a project so fast. Viva Pinata sorta scratched the same itch for me but an updated Chao Garden game is extremely my poo poo, especially if they expand on the genetics system.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

(i don't think there's any auto-pick cards in the game, and the never picks are pressure points and, uh, probably just pressure points)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
roguelikes/lites are all poo poo, it's what people make when they come up with a game that is only compelling for about 90 minutes of gameplay so they just make you play those same 90 minutes over and over again.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i like nethack

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

nethack is a little too monkeycheese in its design imo, but im a big fan of dcss and the shiren the wanderer series which are both pretty traditional roguelikes

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

quiggy posted:

nethack is a little too monkeycheese in its design imo, but im a big fan of dcss and the shiren the wanderer series which are both pretty traditional roguelikes
i haven't played since 3.4.3 but maybe it got more eclectic from there

i also like dcss and shiren but i only ever played a translated shiren via snes emulator

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

jesus WEP posted:

watcher....

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Kenny Logins posted:

i haven't played since 3.4.3 but maybe it got more eclectic from there

i also like dcss and shiren but i only ever played a translated shiren via snes emulator

really highly recommend shiren 5 (which has a really awkward subtitle, "the tower of fortune and the dice of fate"). it's on switch and pc and goes on sale pretty regularly, plus the regular price is only $20

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

watcher is v strong but she's not the autowin button the community likes to claim she is. it's fine if some characters are stronger than others

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

the people who made hypnospace outlaw are making a sequel that looks like real baller can’t wait

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

quiggy posted:

(i don't think there's any auto-pick cards in the game, and the never picks are pressure points and, uh, probably just pressure points)

Bullseye is also a never-pick IMO. By the time I have enough focus to make it work, I have a bajillion ways to 🤷‍♀️ just make more orbs. Early on it's fine I guess to hedge against Nob, but I feel like Cold Snap or Ball Lightning are better picks.

But yeah... I already hear in the back of my head: "most of the time". Pressure Points is WAY too slow, and it's just easier to just stance dance.

quiggy posted:

watcher is v strong but she's not the autowin button the community likes to claim she is. it's fine if some characters are stronger than others

Watcher is strong, but one misstep and your whole run ends NOW. Ironclad and Silent sometimes seem to slowly peter out mid-act 3 if I mistake good level 1 & 2 maps for good deckbuilding.

I love this game, despite being only mediocre at it (stuck at level 12 ascensions across the board...)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

bullseye is generally not a good pick but i'll take it in act one if i need damage and haven't gotten any. pressure points otoh is bad because it doesn't benefit from watcher's main gimmicks and there's literally nothing in the game that combos with it besides more copies of pressure points

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

quiggy posted:

bullseye is generally not a good pick but i'll take it in act one if i need damage and haven't gotten any. pressure points otoh is bad because it doesn't benefit from watcher's main gimmicks and there's literally nothing in the game that combos with it besides more copies of pressure points

:hmmyes: and Pressure Points is bad against Nob.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

MrQueasy posted:

:hmmyes: and it is bad against Nob.

it is pretty wild how much of "is this card playable" for commons and uncommons is "how good is it against nob"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think pressure points would be potentially bonkers building a thin deck around a few copies *if* it didn't rely on a debuff so you're sol against artifact or bosses that purge themselves.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

quiggy posted:

it is pretty wild how much of "is this card playable" for commons and uncommons is "how good is it against nob"

If that motherfucker is going to take a chunk of my life, I can at least take pains to limit that amount a bit. Though I hate Lagavulin a lot more because I've been playing Silent and I usually don't have enough answers to burn it down quick.

Also, a big gently caress you to RNJesus whenever he grants me the Gremlin Gang or Lots of Slimes on encounter 4.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

there was a pretty fun roguelike that had some very minor (iirc) -lite elements but the default was basically nethack but for 2021 or whatever year it was. tangledeep! took me a minute to rmeember the name. anyway i only played it for a handful of hours for whatever reason, but i was really impressed by how well they integrated a complex turn-based flow with the switch's controls.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

tangledeep is also goon made, i think? it's been a long time since i last played it, but it was fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
for my important budgeting needs due to the high cost of living, is the DLC for vamp survivors any good? i haven't played the base game in forever so there's probably a ton of content to catch up with even without the new hotness to distract me, or should i just grab it all and get knee deep in the dead?

also is anyone playing/has played project zomboid?

i avoid zombie stuff* but a friend is playing and is unresponsive

and furthermore does anyone else find the controls in everspace 2 insanely mushy? is that just a deadzone setting for the control sticks that i need to futz with or is the game just swimmy? game seems like it would be fun if i could target enemies better

*was enjoying the mindlessness of dysmantle for a bit though