Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

christmas boots posted:

I think it’s also going to depend on how the pocket dimension pays off later. Nothing major went wrong but we got to see that it existed and so if/when something major happens later we know it exists rather than it just being introduced out of nowhere later on when Annie needs to go there after Kat’s gone fully off the rails
I think the first existence of Kat making a pocket dimension was when the crew got together to release Jeanne from the river. Kat made a very abstract pocket dimension that Annie was exploring while the fairies kept Jeanne occupied. Plot wise, the pocket dimension was abstract because Kat was still new at this and trying to put the pocket dimension in a place that she didn't know about (Jeanne's head or the original arrow, not sure). Her new pocket dimension was built to Kat's own specifications on her terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lt. Lizard posted:

In this chapter, we discover that the entire purpose of the robot cult storyline was to lure Loup and Laina from hiding. :v:
Why would you do this

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CannonFodder posted:

I think the first existence of Kat making a pocket dimension was when the crew got together to release Jeanne from the river. Kat made a very abstract pocket dimension that Annie was exploring while the fairies kept Jeanne occupied. Plot wise, the pocket dimension was abstract because Kat was still new at this and trying to put the pocket dimension in a place that she didn't know about (Jeanne's head or the original arrow, not sure). Her new pocket dimension was built to Kat's own specifications on her terms.
That pocket dimension was in the arrow. Kat just did her perception simplification trick on it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
*slapping monitor with a slipper* GET. OFF. MY. SCREEN.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I barely have words, just, lol, lmao. The fact that they're in the exact same clothes, the exact same featureless void. It's like a parody.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Finally! We go back to the characters we actually care about!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What in the absolute gently caress

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Xand_Man posted:

Finally! We go back to the characters we actually care about!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I kinda get what Tom is going with, where Loup-as-Jerk is becoming more caring and empathetic (or maybe he sees a kind of kin in the robots-turned-human) while Annie is dead set on killing Loup and so we're going to end up with Annie as the villain.

That being said, WHERE'S MY ROBOT ZOMBIES, TOM?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Loup becoming a greek chorus and just commenting on the events of the comic alongside his girlfriend would be very funny. Everyone running around trying to stop/flee Loup while he’s entirely removed himself from the story going “idk writing kinda dropping off these days”

Five chapters alone dedicated to the two having a debate about Tony.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Of course. Of course.

I thought Jerrek was lying through is teeth here to maintain his cover in front of Lana, "hello fellow youngsters" style, but if he has faked til he made it so hard he actually believes what he is saying, then, lol

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Just have Loup pulling a Kellies' Korner on every page. It turns out Tom was Loup all along.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

isasphere posted:

Of course. Of course.

I thought Jerrek was lying through is teeth here to maintain his cover in front of Lana, "hello fellow youngsters" style, but if he has faked til he made it so hard he actually believes what he is saying, then, lol

That ridiculous hearts page was supposed to indicate that Jerrek has fully flipped IMO

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, he's a combination of both a wolf and a coyote. Is it that surprising that he became a good doggo after being treated kindly for long enough?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

idk jerrek having coyote's incredible powers of meta-awareness but using them to be an obnoxious shipper is a kinda funny bit

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Randalor posted:

I mean, he's a combination of both a wolf and a coyote. Is it that surprising that he became a good doggo after being treated kindly for long enough?

Smash cut to Loup looking like a pug or something after thousands of years of domestication.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

idk jerrek having coyote's incredible powers of meta-awareness but using them to be an obnoxious shipper is a kinda funny bit

Have him ditch Lana and get together with Parley's orjak (forgot the name) and it might actually make it to a level where it's entertaining

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Randalor posted:

I kinda get what Tom is going with, where Loup-as-Jerk is becoming more caring and empathetic (or maybe he sees a kind of kin in the robots-turned-human)
Or he sympathizes with a divine being not receiving proper deference.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011
if loup's reaction on this page is genuine and not a gotcha, then i'll have to retract my "well at least tom is good enough at conveying what he wants us to think."

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Randalor posted:

I kinda get what Tom is going with, where Loup-as-Jerk is becoming more caring and empathetic (or maybe he sees a kind of kin in the robots-turned-human) while Annie is dead set on killing Loup and so we're going to end up with Annie as the villain.

That being said, WHERE'S MY ROBOT ZOMBIES, TOM?

Annie defeats Loup and her moment of triumph is immediately cut short by everyone else blaming her for killing Jerrek, who's such a great guy.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Niavmai posted:

if loup's reaction on this page is genuine and not a gotcha, then i'll have to retract my "well at least tom is good enough at conveying what he wants us to think."

I have no idea why this would be a gotcha, considering Lana already knows he's Loup - there's no reason to pretend otherwise. My best guess is that Loup is full-on dead goose mode at this point, but if that's the case then why have the bit about him revealing that's he's Loup other than as an excuse for him to fall in love with Lana?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Or he sympathizes with a divine being not receiving proper deference.

I think it might be this

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Lt. Lizard posted:

It's pretty interesting and a bit unexpected that Loup seems to have fully internalized the viewpoint robots have about Kat, to the point he calls her "angel".

It's class solidarity. Loup instinctively sides with anyone worshipped as a god because showing disrespect to gods sets a bad precedent.

e: beaten, kind of.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Skippy McPants posted:

And it's also been said before that it could have worked if Tony were an antagonist. He was set up so perfectly as a hurdle for Annie to outgrow and overcome. But that's not what happened, and the stain of forcing him into a positive role snapped the narrative in half.

It was almost miraculously bad. I'm not sure I've ever encountered a worse instance of an author misapprehending the tone of their own writing.

There's a ton of room for Tony to be a very complicated gray antagonist, too. He was so predominately driven to "cure" his wife of the magic that slowly sapped her life force as her daughter grew up that it destroyed him. Why wouldn't he be motivated to save Annie from that same fate?

It's the perfect leverage to get Tony to cooperate with the Court, an offer to help sever Annie from the magic that will kill her if she ever has a kid. And he befriends Kat along the way, whose brilliant ideas are innovating the Court, and she could accomplish so much more with a little encouragement and if some things weren't holding her back.

It's one of those setups that feels so obvious that it's peculiar it didn't go that way.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

There's a ton of room for Tony to be a very complicated gray antagonist, too. He was so predominately driven to "cure" his wife of the magic that slowly sapped her life force as her daughter grew up that it destroyed him. Why wouldn't he be motivated to save Annie from that same fate?

It's the perfect leverage to get Tony to cooperate with the Court, an offer to help sever Annie from the magic that will kill her if she ever has a kid. And he befriends Kat along the way, whose brilliant ideas are innovating the Court, and she could accomplish so much more with a little encouragement and if some things weren't holding her back.

It's one of those setups that feels so obvious that it's peculiar it didn't go that way.

And finally that angle would tie into the whole "living without the Ether" ("because if we can't master it it's gotta go") / "become God" mission that the Court has had burning in the backburner the whole story. If Annie's human side could be safely separated from her etheric fire elemental side, she could live a normal life.

And when Annie found out, she would have to decide if she wanted a shot at a normal life with the people she loves, at the cost of her powers, or if being a medium/fire mage but getting to help her forest friends and continue her supernatural slice-of-life-ish adventures is worth a shorter lifespan, and also knowing that she will condemn her apparently inevitable child to the same fate.

It could also add tension if Tony is tempted to find a way for Annie to go with the rest of the people leaving the Court to their new ether-free zone, if that is the only "cure" he can find and tells her that they could go live a normal life as a family there.

isasphere fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 21, 2023

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
This is legitimately hilarious tbh. Loup went and brainwashed himself.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
My feelings when I checked on today's page during a short break:

Tiny Myers posted:

I barely have words, just, lol, lmao. The fact that they're in the exact same clothes, the exact same featureless void. It's like a parody.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I genuinely forgot that Lana knows Jerrek is Loup. Nothing has changed in their interactions?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

isasphere posted:

I genuinely forgot that Lana knows Jerrek is Loup. Nothing has changed in their interactions?

This is their changed interactions. Loup fell in love with Lana because she didn't care he's Loup and said she loved him anyways.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

This is their changed interactions. Loup fell in love with Lana because she didn't care he's Loup and said she loved him anyways.

edit: nevermind, I am dumb, he was actually standoffish in that brief period of time

I mean, maybe I'm just dumb, but to me it seems they are still outwordly behaving the same they did back when Lana confessed her love and Loup decided he would play along, and both were acting lovey-dovey, with the only difference being that Jerrek isn't thinking about Annie or trying to get her attention.

isasphere fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 22, 2023

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I feel trolled

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
If you told me the comic secretly changed writers I would believe you.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Guy who is a literal culmination of a couple of god creatures: "you know, I think that regular smart girl is a divine being now because I fell in love with a robot and I'm in deep, so now I'm angry about things!"

Just consider that statement briefly, out of context. That's where we are.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

isasphere posted:

If you told me the comic secretly changed writers I would believe you.

I previously entertained the idea that he relied on a ghost writer to outline the story at one point and eventually had to switch to doing it on his own. It feels like a different person is behind the wheel except for the occasional high effort, beautiful pages.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

There needn't be any clever or conspiratorial reason behind the decline. GK is now more than eighteen years old, and its slippage over the past three-to-five years has been pretty gradual. Between burnout and the extreme difficulty of ending long serials, I can believe that Tom just doesn't have it in him at this point to do good quality work on the comic.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

There needn't be any clever or conspiratorial reason behind the decline. GK is now more than eighteen years old, and its slippage over the past three-to-five years has been pretty gradual. Between burnout and the extreme difficulty of ending long serials, I can believe that Tom just doesn't have it in him at this point to do good quality work on the comic.

Yeah, and I suspect the pages that have extra effort are like that because they were probably the ones planned far in advance. Like the previous one with Kat mourning and the star ocean one with the people standing in it, etc. So it's likely he had ideas of how he wanted them to look so they get extra special effort. But he doesn't have the energy to spend on how to neatly connect the various final events of the comic, so everything else doesn't match up quality wise. So the comic ends up as a bunch of low effort talking head pages inbetween the occasional nice page or interesting event (That then gets completely deflated by talking heads soon after).

I guess it might be the difference of finishing this comic in a couple of years, versus maybe 10 years or whatever if he were to keep up the previous quality, give events time to breathe, etc etc. It sucks but I can imagine if he just wants it to be over but still give the comic an ending this might be the only route available I guess.

And for what it's worth, a coyote-esque entity forgetting himself and fully becoming a goose wife is very on brand. It's not a particularly exciting or well executed version of that sort of twist but it's absolutely a well telegraphed thing that makes sense given what we know of the character. Coyote literally brought that story up in one of his last appearances in the comic.

The problem is we really have no reason to care about him becoming the goose wife, or anything he does really.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

JuniperCake posted:

Yeah, and I suspect the pages that have extra effort are like that because they were probably the ones planned far in advance. Like the previous one with Kat mourning and the star ocean one with the people standing in it, etc. So it's likely he had ideas of how he wanted them to look so they get extra special effort. But he doesn't have the energy to spend on how to neatly connect the various final events of the comic, so everything else doesn't match up quality wise. So the comic ends up as a bunch of low effort talking head pages inbetween the occasional nice page or interesting event (That then gets completely deflated by talking heads soon after).

I guess it might be the difference of finishing this comic in a couple of years, versus maybe 10 years or whatever if he were to keep up the previous quality, give events time to breathe, etc etc. It sucks but I can imagine if he just wants it to be over but still give the comic an ending this might be the only route available I guess.

And for what it's worth, a coyote-esque entity forgetting himself and fully becoming a goose wife is very on brand. It's not a particularly exciting or well executed version of that sort of twist but it's absolutely a well telegraphed thing that makes sense given what we know of the character. Coyote literally brought that story up in one of his last appearances in the comic.

The problem is we really have no reason to care about him becoming the goose wife, or anything he does really.

If Loup became a loser girl falling in love with naive robot girl instead of a loser boy id be way more invested lmfao.

The weird racist alleyway sexual assault bit would still be loving stupid.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I blame covid. Isn’t that right around when the introspection videos stopped?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the comic was bad long before covid people were just still getting yelled at for saying it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

coolusername posted:

I blame covid. Isn’t that right around when the introspection videos stopped?

In the last one a year ago he was a bit disappointed in his execution when he reflected on the chapter. I imagine subsequent attempts at retrospectives didn't go any better.