Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

PhazonLink posted:

wait do new tapes actually still get made?

why , what possible niche are they filling?

Billy Eilish and Lady Gaga released new casingles and vinyls in the last few years.

(To be fair, I think they were both flops/novelties that nobody bought)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
People like cassettes because it seems so romantic in it's primitivity

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
LTO tapes are still heavily used for data backups and long term data storage. It feels quaint but there isn't anything better.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

(To be fair, I think they were both flops/novelties that nobody bought)
Cassette tape sales are higher than they've been in 20 years.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

I hate that this is a word.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Yeah, but they are still pretty low. They were definitely novelties/flops.

Most of them were limited runs for collecting/marketing/novelty purposes and the ones with larger prints didn't sell out.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Yeah, but they are still pretty low. They were definitely novelties/flops.

Most of them were limited runs for collecting/marketing/novelty purposes and the ones with larger prints didn't sell out.

Novelty is the right word. I’ve been to plenty of concerts where cassettes are the cheapest thing at the merch table. I don’t know anyone outside of this one weird audiophile friend who can even play them, but as a fun memento that also doesn’t take up much space, they’re pretty much perfect. The fact they they actually contain music, even if you’ll probably never hear it, has some appeal beyond something like a T-shirt or poster, I think.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

steckles posted:

Novelty is the right word. I’ve been to plenty of concerts where cassettes are the cheapest thing at the merch table. I don’t know anyone outside of this one weird audiophile friend who can even play them, but as a fun memento that also doesn’t take up much space, they’re pretty much perfect. The fact they they actually contain music, even if you’ll probably never hear it, has some appeal beyond something like a T-shirt or poster, I think.

Yeah agreed, I'm not into them myself but it's easy to see the appeal of cheap compact collectable of a thing someone likes.

Prism posted:

I hate that this is a word.

EON should release each Bond theme on a cassette and call the series Casingle Royale.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
https://twitter.com/jjvincent/status/1648594881198039040

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

For what it's worth, I was messing around with Clyde yesterday, and that jailbreak was fixed about 10 minutes after that tweet went live.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Until a few years ago I had a car with a cassette player, and this one cassette I bought from a college band was always in there and got a lot of play even though I had bluetooth.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Shrecknet posted:

how i feel when the kids don't know l33t sp33k

I got my oldest son a 1337 phone number (last 4 digits) in the 1990’s. He still has it.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

People like cassettes because it seems so romantic in it's primitivity

My first published games were on cassettes.

Yeah, I’m that old.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

VideoGameVet posted:

My first published games were on cassettes.

Yeah, I’m that old.

What video game platform/console used cassette tapes as their media format? I know there was one in Japan, but I can't think of any in America that didn't use disks or cartridges.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

What video game platform/console used cassette tapes as their media format? I know there was one in Japan, but I can't think of any in America that didn't use disks or cartridges.

Does the VIC-20 count

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Tayter Swift posted:

Does the VIC-20 count

That might be it. I was thinking of a game console, but that is an older PC that did have a cassette slot. I'm guessing they probably made some games on cassette for it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I had a cassette reader for the SVI-728

I also have a cassette tape collection and a deck. I enjoy old tech and I can't really tell sound quality from a CD or a tape. I got poo poo ears or something.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I had a TRS-80 with a cassette drive.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
The main market for music cassettes today is prison.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 22, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
e: stupid D&D rules, nvm

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

That might be it. I was thinking of a game console, but that is an older PC that did have a cassette slot. I'm guessing they probably made some games on cassette for it.

Atari

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

The Coleco Adam computer, with a Colecovision cartridge slot, had a double cassette drive. So a mix of game console and PC.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
CRTs will also kill your eyes.

But I can't understand a love for cassettes. They were always lovely, they weren't designed for or to improve quality. They were just smaller than the other tape formats.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

HootTheOwl posted:

Huh?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
they make a non zero amount of xrays and maybe gamma?

like maybe they increase cancer risk by a similar factor like being a banana worker or xray tech?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

nah that just makes them cooler

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

But I can't understand a love for cassettes. They were always lovely, they weren't designed for or to improve quality. They were just smaller than the other tape formats.

Isn't it just because of the aesthetic? They come from a decade that's beloved by nostalgia pop culture, they look distinctively different from CDs, vinyl, and MP3 players, and they're relatively hardy so you can leave them lying around as decorative items. I don't believe anyone's collecting old audio storage mediums for their audio quality.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
People just think they're cool and nostalgic. There's something neat about them that I don't get from LPs or CDs. Tapes give me all warm nostalgic 80s feelings, the whole analog - mechanical wonder that is a tape deck is fascinating. For some people they scratch a whole bunch of itches. Since a lot of zoomers seem to like tapes too I guess it's more than just the personal connection to ones childhood. Which I can understand since I like a lot of vintage tech that is way older than myself. And like I said I can't tell the difference between a tape and a CD unless the tape has been severely degraded or the player is broken. I am something of an anti-audiophile.

Part of the reason I think it's just... everything is too easy nowadays, you get things too easily without any effort at any time and that makes you appreciate it less. Maybe that's also what motivates younger people? You have to put some effort into recording onto a tape and making your own mix tape, that human effort feels like it's worth something.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

it's cool when the wiggly air you hear comes from something tangible

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Isn't it just because of the aesthetic? They come from a decade that's beloved by nostalgia pop culture, they look distinctively different from CDs, vinyl, and MP3 players, and they're relatively hardy so you can leave them lying around as decorative items. I don't believe anyone's collecting old audio storage mediums for their audio quality.
For tapes it's definitely not the quality, which has actually become worse since their heyday. The higher quality tape types (chrome and metal) are no longer in production, Dolby no longer license out their noise reduction system (which needed specialized hardware, but there is a software implementation now at least) so you're getting the full hiss with most newer tape decks.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Using cassetes today is about sounding “lo-if”

Might work well, depending on the music

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Just make the music rectangle look like a tape

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
You can rewind a cassette with a pencil, which can be a good way to stim if you're neurodivergent.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

You can rewind a cassette with a pencil, which can be a good way to stim if you're neurodivergent.

Only a Japanese pencil though.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Arivia posted:

Gotta know the story with this

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

cat botherer posted:

Gotta know the story with this

https://youtu.be/vaSN4J3a_60

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Arivia posted:

:wrong:

We did this in Australia too, using Staedtler pencils.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

huge shout-out to whoever at youtube added the "most viewed timestamps" graph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
industrial design standards are magic huh.