Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

https://qwerty-key.com/products/set-taste-qwertykey-liftoff-profil-xda-material-pbt?variant=43340976881879

I have a mighty craving for this keycap set, and can't find it anywhere but their website. I know nothing about this company, but in order to ship this $44 set they want $29 for DHL express, which is just wildly unnecessary. No slower/cheaper shipping options are offered, it's that or get hosed. I thought about contacting them but despite being on the US version of the site, their support ticket still comes up in another language I don't recognize.

Does anyone know if this set or this company is available through any stateside resellers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Unsinkabear posted:

https://qwerty-key.com/products/set-taste-qwertykey-liftoff-profil-xda-material-pbt?variant=43340976881879

I have a mighty craving for this keycap set, and can't find it anywhere but their website. I know nothing about this company, but in order to ship this $44 set they want $29 for DHL express, which is just wildly unnecessary. No slower/cheaper shipping options are offered, it's that or get hosed. I thought about contacting them but despite being on the US version of the site, their support ticket still comes up in another language I don't recognize.

Does anyone know if this set or this company is available through any stateside resellers?

I can't seem to find anything online about them being resold in the US. Seems like it's just one of those things where it's $30 to ship via DHL and they're not going to go a cheaper route. Keycaps aren't heavy but often come in a largish keyboard sized box so I could see an international shipper charging that. I paid like 30 bucks to ship a box from the US to Canada once with a DVD burner and a spindle of blank discs for a friend back when that was worth having. A month or two back I also picked up a Modmat and mousepad from Gamers Nexus which also had $30 shipping, and those were just going from North Carolina to NJ.

Expensive shipping feels bad but mostly because Amazon has spent a ton of money on making free shipping feel expected. I was looking at the reddit posts from when they released the set and at the time they didn't have international shipping available at all, but then they added it as an option later.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

$120 AUD to get that set to my door, absolutely cooked.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
44 bucks is loving cheap for a PBT set that nice though, isn't it? the only thing is that they don't state how the legends get on there - can you dyesub multiple shades like that?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

death cob for cutie posted:

44 bucks is loving cheap for a PBT set that nice though, isn't it? the only thing is that they don't state how the legends get on there - can you dyesub multiple shades like that?

Yeah, dye sub can be colors but I don't know what they used for sure either.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Those aren’t just PBT key caps. They’re XDA, the greatest key cap profile for those of us who have big fingers. That same site has an amazing orange set of XDA that will go perfectly with a blue topped mode Sonnet, but they are out of stock. Fingers crossed they come back in stock!

It’s funny, I’ve become a snobby in terms of board quality, but keycaps I’m limited because I’m XDA only on profile. Saved me on a lot of GMK sets.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

death cob for cutie posted:

Yeah, it's possible with reverse dye-sub, if that's what they're doing. In this case, they would start with white keycaps then add a whole lot of dye for one of the colors. Next, they'd do the next color on the partially dyed cap. Repeat until you get the final result.

$44 seems awfully cheap for this method, though ...

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

What would the alternative be?

As long as the less desirable possibility isn't too awful, I'm willing to be the guinea pig. You all would have to tell me what to look for once they get here, though.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Double-shot ABS seems practically impossible to achieve the look of that set, so I guess it'd be safe to assume it's dye-sublimated PBT. For $60-ish US I think it'd probably be worth a try. The only things I can think of to check are:
  • Thickness of the caps
  • Evenness and clarity of the legends

but at the price I think we can forgive a lot here.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Alright, ordered. $72 USD including shipping. We'll see how it goes!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Keychron finally got me with the Q2 Pro. I can finally put my drop alt to rest.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Nice cheap ready-to-ship (ortho-included) MT3 set: https://drop.com/buy/drop-mt3-fairlane-custom-keycap-set

edit: oh there's more

https://drop.com/buy/drop-matt3o-mt3-3277-custom-keycap-set

https://drop.com/buy/drop-mt3-dusk-keycap-set

edit2: I'm tempted but just don't really need them anywhere. Really happy with the sets I've bought over the years. Still looking for that elusive Race3 coverage, but again, the defaults are pretty great.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 21, 2023

Hoppin Tin
Mar 5, 2004

SURFS UP BRO!
Fun Shoe
Ok, I'm in the market for a new keyboard. I've been in IT for over 20 years and have felt Lenovo laptop keyboards feel great, but I want a more serious long lasting keyboard for typing and gaming. I've had a Corsair STRAFE MK2 for the last 2 years and I always feel like I can't type for poo poo on that thing and the keys are too deep. Sounds too noisy as well.

I just bought a SteelSeries Apex 9 TKL with linear optical switches, and I didn't realize how much I use the numpad and how much my fingers rest on keys thus doing accidental presses or not even realizing I'm holding the key down.

I'm looking for a full keyboard, but somewhat compact for gaming, not loud, and some kind of lighting. I think MX Browns are my thing. Media keys are and USB pass thru is nice.

Price range is ~$150

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hoppin Tin posted:

Ok, I'm in the market for a new keyboard. I've been in IT for over 20 years and have felt Lenovo laptop keyboards feel great, but I want a more serious long lasting keyboard for typing and gaming. I've had a Corsair STRAFE MK2 for the last 2 years and I always feel like I can't type for poo poo on that thing and the keys are too deep. Sounds too noisy as well.

I just bought a SteelSeries Apex 9 TKL with linear optical switches, and I didn't realize how much I use the numpad and how much my fingers rest on keys thus doing accidental presses or not even realizing I'm holding the key down.

I'm looking for a full keyboard, but somewhat compact for gaming, not loud, and some kind of lighting. I think MX Browns are my thing. Media keys are and USB pass thru is nice.

Price range is ~$150

I'd suggest considering low profile switches if you like laptop style keyboards and don't like deep presses. Here's a little article about them which has some pictures so you can get the idea:
https://hirosarts.com/low-profile-switches-guide/
They're not available a lot of keyboards so you won't have a ton of selection for features but there's a few good ones. The main downsides are that there's fewer options for keycaps since they tend to either have a specific mounting for the stem, or they just work best with a low profile keycap.

This Keychron has brown switches available (as well as linear and clicky):
Keychron K5 SE Full Size Layout Ultra-Slim Wireless Bluetooth/Wired USB Mechanical Keyboard with Low-Profile Gateron Brown Switch, 104 Keys White LED Backlit Computer Keyboard for Mac and Windows
~$94
https://www.amazon.com/Keychron-Ultra-Slim-Bluetooth-Mechanical-Backlight/dp/B09FF8HN9Y/

Logitech has tactile (brown) on the G815 and G915 (wireless) as well as clicky available. They're a bit expensive but I like my G915 TKL I've had for a year and a half or so:
currently $199 for the G815 wired and $229 for the G915 wireless but I've seen them for less before so they might be reasonable during a sale.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P1DHN65/

Redragon has been making cheap mech keyboards for a while and they're fine. They have red switches only (linear), but cheap:
Redragon K618 Horus Wireless RGB Mechanical Keyboard, Bluetooth/2.4Ghz/Wired Tri-Mode Ultra-Thin Low Profile Gaming Keyboard w/No-Lag Cordless Connection, Dedicated Media Control & Linear Red Switch
$68
https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-Mechanical-Bluetooth-Ultra-Thin-Connection/dp/B098785CL3

Corsair has red low profile switches or mx speed switches which it says are low profile but I'm not sure if they're tactile or clicky or what, they're not specific:
Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Low Profile Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Linear & Quiet, Backlit RGB LED, Cherry MX Low Profile Red
$168
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Keyboard-USB-Passthrough-Controls-Linear-Quiet-Cherry/dp/B07H6MWLXS

Razer has red or clicky and is a bit pricey:
Razer DeathStalker V2 Pro Wireless Gaming Keyboard: Low-Profile Optical Switches - Linear Red - HyperSpeed Wireless & Bluetooth 5.0-40 Hr Battery - Ultra-Durable Coated Keycaps - Chroma RGB
(~$250)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5FNM5K8

Anyway that's not a comprehensive list but there's more than I thought there used to be. I think Keychron has more than one model with low profile switches and they tend to be pretty affordable. The gaming peripherals companies have more selection than they used to and they're likely to be decent but you tend to pay a bit more since they have software integration and (presumably) decent warranties. If you see one you like you should shop around if it costs too much, but only buy Keychrons on amazon in case you have a problem with them so you can do returns more easily.

Hoppin Tin
Mar 5, 2004

SURFS UP BRO!
Fun Shoe
Really awesome write up, thank you!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
In TYOOL 2023, the answer to all keyboard questions is either "exotic Massdrop for many hundreds of dollars" or "Keychron".

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
If I get a keychron can I swap out the caps easily or is it a periphery thing? Are there any big gotchas?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

cherry profile keycaps may not fit properly on K series boards due to the orientation of the switches, but Q and V series don't have that issue

otherwise just make sure the keycap set you get has the right caps for the keyboards layout

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

repiv posted:

cherry profile keycaps may not fit properly on K series boards due to the orientation of the switches, but Q and V series don't have that issue

otherwise just make sure the keycap set you get has the right caps for the keyboards layout

What is encompassed by improper fit? Will it be uncomfortable to type with, or will the keys get stuck or something?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

What is encompassed by improper fit? Will it be uncomfortable to type with, or will the keys get stuck or something?

Some Cherry profile keycaps (not all) will bottom out on the led instead of the plate. Most people don't notice unless they have some experience with other boards. Otherwise, there isn't anything to worry about.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

In TYOOL 2023, the answer to all keyboard questions is either "exotic Massdrop for many hundreds of dollars" or "Keychron".

Drop keyboards aren't really recommended anymore. They're overpriced and usually have an older design.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Great so it's even easier, the answer to all questions is Keychron.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

well why not posted:

But I don’t want a keychron, i want some diy bullshit that’s way more expensive and worse made.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Finally put on my ceramic keys. It was a bit cringy ... they're snug on my K-Type's stems and I felt something would break, but everything held together. They felt "wrong" at first, but I very quicky got used to them. They are relatively so heavy compared to plastic, and the keyboard weighs a tonne now lol. But they do feel and look great and unique. Also the shine-through is fantastic.

...in other news, probably minimum two years since I used the K-Type and it was kinda frustrating. All the input.club stuff seems gone, but luckily found the offline configuration tool elsewhere. Also Win11 wasn't recognising it in DFU mode for flashing the firmware, but I figured out I could open Device Manager, put the keyboard into DFU, and manually force the generic WinUSB driver (under USB devices) to the "k-type" unknown device to make it work.

I'll look into whether QMK or Via firmware is worthwhile now. Back when I was using this actively and it got preliminary QMK support, it didn't work with the lighting. This is my only normal keyboard with lighting lol. I just want the fingerprints feature. :)

It is a shame it never really got promised support. The official configuration tool has always been half-baked.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Keychrons have lovely customer support and sound like garbage.

If your price is sub $200. Sure I guess.

If it’s above that, seriously look at Mode designs and some others. Zoom keyboards are also better than keychron.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
The Q1 Pro is great and Q2 Pro looks nice as well. The Q1 Pro I purchased recently sounded great with some cherry keycaps and the banana switches. The board is nice and heavy with a good build quality.

Just know that they are not great on the customer service side. Buy from Amazon if you can.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

I’ll say it again I chose an Akko 3068 over an equivalent keychron and I’m real happy with it for 140CAD.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

yeah my drop ctrl has bad chattering on 'original' firmware, is bricked by 'modern', and VIA/QMK don't fully take advantage of its rgb leds

gently caress massdrop

that said i'm in the market for a barebones TKL with a solid beefy metal case too

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Deviant posted:

yeah my drop ctrl has bad chattering on 'original' firmware, is bricked by 'modern', and VIA/QMK don't fully take advantage of its rgb leds

gently caress massdrop

that said i'm in the market for a barebones TKL with a solid beefy metal case too

These are probably some of the best bang for the buck you could find at their price range. Highly recommend them.
https://www.makerkeyboards.com/products/scarlet?variant=41318363234454

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Gearman posted:

These are probably some of the best bang for the buck you could find at their price range. Highly recommend them.
https://www.makerkeyboards.com/products/scarlet?variant=41318363234454

What seperates the velvet, scarlet, and milan aside from about $200?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Here's the q1 pro I made for my daughter's birthday. it is cute/Kirby themed.

It sounds and feels much much better than my heavily nodded drop alt and my keychron k7.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
What's the consensus on Epomaker? I'm eyeing a sk71, thinking of downsizing a bit, and the layout looks pretty nice. Any concerns with QA and overall quality?

Koskun fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 22, 2023

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Deviant posted:

What seperates the velvet, scarlet, and milan aside from about $200?

Biggest difference, aside from the mount, is that the Velvet has a large, polished stainless steel weight/bottom, and the Milan has an inner brass weight. Velvet and Milan are also more complex so the manufacturing cost is higher, and they were produced in much smaller numbers that pushes the base cost even higher.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
So question because I am still very confused by keyboards:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=9480

This keyboard is Ducky, so it's OEM profile if I want to replace the keycaps, and per-key RBG means I could make it show the trans pride color striped across the keys or whatever, right? Is there any big downside to going with Ducky in general or this keyboard in particular?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

So question because I am still very confused by keyboards:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=9480

This keyboard is Ducky, so it's OEM profile if I want to replace the keycaps, and per-key RBG means I could make it show the trans pride color striped across the keys or whatever, right? Is there any big downside to going with Ducky in general or this keyboard in particular?

My first mechanical board was a Ducky, and you can absolutely do that - I did striped colors to compliment the keycap set I bought.

There are probably *nicer* boards but I bought a Ducky Shine 7 as my first board (I wanted that gunmetal)... and then I bought two for friends as a wedding/housewarming gift. There's nothing about it that screams Bad to me.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Ducky is good and makes plenty fine quality boards, I don't think anyone would have major regrets with one of them.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

This is a Surmen GT68 - it’s 2.4/BT capable along with wired. It’s $40 and I slapped on some $25 keycaps and lubed the switches, taped the PCB, and tuned the stabs and it sounds better than my Durgod Fusion which is 3x the price. Heavy recommend.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Mode seems to make really nice keyboards, I'm looking at the Brutalist ones from Cannonkeys - who else makes a pretty nice aluminum keyboard? I really wanna build a new board for my Analog Dreams set that finally came in (finally) and I can't decide between getting a nice TKL or something from one of those two places (or something similar) or breaking down and having a Boston CNCed for me somewhere, and ideally getting it cerakoted to match the soft beige of the keycap set.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Well I needed a new keyboard for the work computer and didn’t want the one they give out. So I went and copped a corsair K95 off amazon. It was supposed to be “used-very good” condition. It came covered in dust and gamer grunge and I had to take some Clorox wipes to it but the price coudn’t be beat.

It is pretty loud. And it is pretty funny to have a gamer keyboard at work but I have decided to go “whole hog” and order some new keycaps for it as well since, the aggressive gamer font is a little off putting, and you only have so many minutes on this planet so might as well cop a key cap set you enjoy looking at.

I was hoping to use the 6 additional keys on the side for macros but they aren’t registering on the work computer for some reason.

What on gods green heaven is going on with sites that sell keycaps? They’re all junk sketchy seeming sites. I saw one I liked on drop.com but it was sold out. So I googled and one of these sketchy sites had it. Put it in the cart and they added over $70 of tax.

Then I found the sites store on ebay and added it there and the tax was normal. So now I have some keycaps coming in but it’s a heck of a wait. Three weeks or so.

Sure its funny having a super loud backlit gaming keyboard at work but life is short imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Here's the q1 pro I made for my daughter's birthday. it is cute/Kirby themed.

It sounds and feels much much better than my heavily nodded drop alt and my keychron k7.

This is dope