Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

when do you think was the last time Ron Pearlman looked at his twitter profile? I'm going to guess never

Clearly he looked at it today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Paying :eightbux: to be prioritized as the 321st reply to elon musk instead of the 434th

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

...! posted:

Clearly he looked at it today

You got me there

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Has this tweet been posted yet? Whatever, I'll post it again

https://twitter.com/Campster/status/1649903678747295745?s=20

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1650239232374390784?t=sWjYJvCXD9urI_CddDGcBg&s=19

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In a month all accounts over 1m followers will be suspended due to missing the payment on their mandatory Blue membership

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Crescent Wrench posted:

Presented without comment.

If posting isn't praxis, then not posting isn't not praxis.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
does birdsite have saved payments ?? (or does it do the thing where they go through the google / apple app stores?)

also again Musk is dancing on the 3rd rail of pissing off all the Big 4 Processors.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

PhazonLink posted:

also again Musk is dancing on the 3rd rail of pissing off all the Big 4 Processors.
It's ok x.com is a payment processor

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

MrQwerty posted:

It's ok x.com is a payment processor

Can't wait for my 99c payment to end up being 0$ every single loving time

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
is there still a way to auto block all the blue checks

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The Question IRL posted:

Irish Comedian Dara O'Brien discovered he got a Blue Tick over night. Seems like Elon is handing them out at random.
(So did Satarist/Black Mirror Writter Charlie Brooker.)

https://twitter.com/daraobriain/status/1650041282528419842?t=mAptGpPwpDZ8D_GiWJq7DQ&s=19

It looks like any account with over 1 million followers is being given the bluecheck automatically now. Hence all the dead celebs getting branded with the mark of the beast.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
x.com gon give it to ya (even if you did not pay $8)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Obviously the first step to revenue sharing is automatically spending your first portion on blue.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Considering how few people trusted shopping online back in 1995. I think asking if the internet would be used for online shopping is a legitimate question. No idea when the interview occurred but the first recorded secure online transaction wasn’t until like august 1994. Like it’s so obvious now but back then most people just naturally assumed you’d get immediately hacked if you tried to buy something online.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Infinitum posted:

He spent $44 billion dollars to be owned by the internet

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

theghostpt posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1650234240922157056

It would be kinda funny if the next step on this stupid escalation is to block "checkmarked" people from changing their names so they can't ditch it.

He really, really wants to do something like this. And also institute a policy where if you aren’t subscribed to :eightbux: you can’t block anyone who is, or maybe they just institute a block limit, where as a pleb you can’t block more than 100 of those motherfuckers.

He WANTS to do these things. He doesn’t NEED them, but the difference has not stopped him before and I want him to go all-in now

e: I want him to get to the expected conclusion, where everybody’s feed is filled with bazingas and white supremacists and when you open the app, it’s a blue-checked 100 followers account saying “kill all trans!” and “1776!” and then right below that is an ad for apple or Microsoft or Netflix

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 23, 2023

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

the internet itself was still widely considered a fad in 95, some nerdshoe bullshit that wasnt to be taken seriously

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Infinitum posted:

It's just a train wreck in motion at this point.

He's handing out the thing he took away, and then posting poo poo like this
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1649940010777341952

Like... this is the CEO of Twitter saying "Anyone with a check mark is a whiny little baby" while simultaneously also going "Check marks are $8 - BUY PLEASE"

:psyduck:

He's saying "anybody getting a checkmark for free and bitching about it is a whiny little baby". Because the checkmarks are extremely cool and good.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MrMojok posted:

He really, really wants to do something like this. And also institute a policy where if you aren’t subscribed to :eightbux: you can’t block anyone who is, or maybe they just institute a block limit, where as a pleb you can’t block more than 100 of those motherfuckers.

He WANTS to do these things. He doesn’t NEED them, but the difference has not stopped him before and I want him to go all-in now

The beatings will continue until morale improves

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

trucutru posted:

He's saying "anybody getting a checkmark for free and bitching about it is a whiny little baby". Because the checkmarks are extremely cool and good.

He’s saying “Hey that thing all you people who massage my ego and prostate pay $8 per month for? We’re using it as a punitive measure now”

and he feels like he’s WINNING by doing this, and all the Musksuckers and his millions-strong bot army are tweeting “Epic Ownage, Sir! 🤣🤣🤣” six times every ten seconds

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Ad by Khad posted:

the internet itself was still widely considered a fad in 95, some nerdshoe bullshit that wasnt to be taken seriously

lol no it wasnt

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Convex posted:

lol no it wasnt

In 1995 only less than 15% of Americans used the internet at all.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

In 1995 only less than 15% of Americans used the internet at all.

i'm not saying it was widely used, but the only people that thought it was a fad in 1995 were idiots

edit: you're correct

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

thathonkey posted:

is there still a way to auto block all the blue checks

At least two, there's still a working chrome extension
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/blue-blocker/jgpjphkbfjhlbajmmcoknjjppoamhpmm

There's a two-line addition to uBlock which will block all blue accounts.
https://twitter.com/netrunnernobody/status/1649863487651303424

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Convex posted:

i'm not saying it was widely used, but the only people that thought it was a fad in 1995 were idiots

its been said in the buttcoin thread, but college/universities and super science places, business and other fin stuff, and gov. and the military were all using the internet back then.they have clear and obvious need and utility.

the question in the 90s/00s was what would an internet open to the public even be used for? dont let blind hate for musk cloud your positions.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Convex posted:

lol no it wasnt

It was a popular if a little niche opinion that all this internet nonsense was going to blow over, just like the techno libertarian NERD RAPTURE WHEN converse

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What I found especially funny or "funny" about it (this was in 1999 or so that I ran into it) was that Gates responded to the question with a bunch of rambling mealy-mouthed empty nonsense about how phenoooomenal an opportunity the broader acceptance of the Internet/Web was, and then he/MS proceeded to contribute nothing to actually bringing that about (and arguably stood in its way as much as possible).

That's what feels so familiar about now and Musk

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
It's amazing how quickly Elon ruined the value of something and made it all but worthless, when before it was a thing most people wanted and paid for.

Takes a special kind of person to achieve that.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Last Call posted:

It's amazing how quickly Elon ruined the value of something and made it all but worthless, when before it was a thing most people wanted and paid for.

Takes a special kind of person to achieve that.

:capitalism:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

What I found especially funny or "funny" about it (this was in 1999 or so that I ran into it) was that Gates responded to the question with a bunch of rambling mealy-mouthed empty nonsense about how phenoooomenal an opportunity the broader acceptance of the Internet/Web was, and then he/MS proceeded to contribute nothing to actually bringing that about (and arguably stood in its way as much as possible).

That's what feels so familiar about now and Musk
That's not true.

Microsoft gave us Internet Explorer!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I Greyhound posted:

At least two, there's still a working chrome extension
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/blue-blocker/jgpjphkbfjhlbajmmcoknjjppoamhpmm

There's a two-line addition to uBlock which will block all blue accounts.
https://twitter.com/netrunnernobody/status/1649863487651303424

lol if you do this and go to an elon post it's just an endless loading screen as it loads and then ditches page after page of replies

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Convex posted:

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

pls notice me King-senpai

https://twitter.com/bestofdyingtwit/status/1650266265599229952

also lol you didn't donate poo poo you dumbass

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ad by Khad posted:

sebmojo posted:

It was a popular if a little niche opinion that all this internet nonsense was going to blow over, just like the techno libertarian NERD RAPTURE WHEN converse
These aren't the same thing at all though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I assume this was posted in agreement.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

I'm not saying it was the most dominant opinion in 95. But it was a thing. The simpsons was still making fun of e-commerce being a do-nothing get rich quick scheme in 1998.

compu global hyper mega net

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

yes let's point to the brilliance and foresight of economists

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

nobel prize wining economists can be idiots too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008