Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I just wish there was something closer, I don't have time to finish a game with my brother, let alone to drive an hour for an event :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

God dang all y'all central FL goons are *just* a little too far from me. In other news, I finally picked up Ash Wastes yesterday for a steal and good lord this terrain rules.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

EdsTeioh posted:

God dang all y'all central FL goons are *just* a little too far from me. In other news, I finally picked up Ash Wastes yesterday for a steal and good lord this terrain rules.

It's cool isn't it? I think you can create some really thematic wasteland settlements, especially combining them with the underhive market and the new 40k fronteris terrain sets.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

The tournament itself was run extremely well and the guys who run that shop are extremely nice. The terrain was set up nicely and they had printouts of the erata and terrain rules at each table. It all ran on schedule and there were plenty of people to settle rules or LOS disputes.

It was a lot of other things like the collusion on the hobby award that just irked me. I can send a PM of what won to really drive the point home on that. I'd go to their weekly, non competitive events again as those were really fun, but im not doing a 10h event again.

I'm in Florida, which store was this?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Warpfire in Ocala. Love the place but comp is just not for me. And man, everything in FL is an hour away at least, it sucks

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Genghis Cohen posted:

It's cool isn't it? I think you can create some really thematic wasteland settlements, especially combining them with the underhive market and the new 40k fronteris terrain sets.

Yeah, I'm really digging it. I built up a couple of the platforms and one of the habs on my breaks at work today. We'd generally been playing only at my house, but a friend I don't see too often has apparently been getting a decent campaign going and is even doing a pretty good Necromunda podcast as well. I'm going to do my best to actually get in that once the next cycle starts up. If any of y'all FL folks make it to the NW, hit me up for a game!

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Just got into kill team recently, got a team built/painted, and was wondering if there was anywhere with a translation of the runes/etc on my Chaos Chads' transfer sheet, so I don't go full Moon Moon, or can do so intentionally at least lol.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

nudejedi posted:

Just got into kill team recently, got a team built/painted, and was wondering if there was anywhere with a translation of the runes/etc on my Chaos Chads' transfer sheet, so I don't go full Moon Moon, or can do so intentionally at least lol.

The "Dark Tounge?"

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Dark_Tongue?file=Dark_speech.jpg

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
As a late comer to AT, pretty excited to grab the mondo Campaign Compendium. Life has been pretty sweet just having to pick up the Loyalist Legios and Matched Play books for a completely up-to-date book experience.

Feeling completely caught up with books for only 70 bucks is a weird feeling for a GW game. Almost as weird as having a fun, viable 2.5k army for only $350.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

I think it's more legion specific runes, or at least variations from legion to legion?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Can you post pics of the transfer sheet?

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

This one here.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
it means "grr i am a mean spiky dude"

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

my local 1kSons player who also has really in-depth knowledge of sacred geometry and that sort of thing says they're basically just gibberish and don't have any defined in-fluff translations or anything like that, so just slap em everywhere.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

EdsTeioh posted:

my local 1kSons player who also has really in-depth knowledge of sacred geometry and that sort of thing says they're basically just gibberish and don't have any defined in-fluff translations or anything like that, so just slap em everywhere.

Cease to Hope posted:

it means "grr i am a mean spiky dude"

:hellyeah:
Sounds good to me, thanks!

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Hey Orlangoons, looks like a brand new shop just opened up in Altamonte called Layton Gaming. Its absolutely huge and has an enormous inventory; Chainbreaker Lance boxes, Boarding Patrol boxes, full range of Horus Heresy on the shelf. Full range of the new Vallejo Game Color 2.0 and XPress Color, full range of Army Painter stuff, its insane. They have mini-trading nights first Sat of every month. First tournament will be AoS June 4th; Saturdays are Warhammer Days. Hopefully they'll run some Kill Team events!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Southern Heel posted:

Thank you but I’m in the uk. The random Etsy 3D printer contacted me direct to suggest cutting out the middleman and the prices are way cheaper and the range much larger:

For a cross compatible Epic Eldar minigeddon list that’ll cost about €35 plus shipping:

OR:

I would probably get both jet bikes, warp spiders, a squadron of void spinners and maybe some wave serpents or falcons go give a tiny bit of flexibility.

I’m taking a small step back while I’m on holiday atm to make sure I’m actually committing to this rather than just a complete whim…

I’m not expecting my games to have the kind of epic strategic scope that the Perry twins can achieve on their 8 x 6 table with thousands of miniatures. I’m after a game that can be completed in a couple of hours max on a 90cm square table that isn’t going to play out exactly the same every time.

I have no interest in playing this with anyone else except my pet opponent, for whom I will have to supply an opposing force and guide through rules regardless. With that in mind does what I’ve suggested above meet those broad requirements? I’ve basically picked what I’d like to look at.

No doubt I will do exactly the same for an opposing force-probably orks? I believe there is a similar parity between netepic Armageddon and netepic gold. It is something like 16 bases of boys, eight bases of nobs, eight bases of goblins, three stompers, four tanks.

Just putting a small heartbeat on this in case anyone had any thoughts or advice to give me?

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
Are you more invested in the hobby or the game? If you're invested in hobby, go for it!!

If you're more invested in just playing the game, I'd recommend Tabletop Simulator, there's a decent NetEA community and you don't have to spend a fortune to test out your list before you buy it.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
painting break over, lets make some more warmaster terrain!

some dark brown tiles, good for forests

hay field

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nebalebadingdong posted:

painting break over, lets make some more warmaster terrain!

That is some excellent smouldering rubble

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

Thank you but I’m in the uk. The random Etsy 3D printer contacted me direct to suggest cutting out the middleman and the prices are way cheaper and the range much larger:

For a cross compatible Epic Eldar minigeddon list that’ll cost about €35 plus shipping:

OR:

I would probably get both jet bikes, warp spiders, a squadron of void spinners and maybe some wave serpents or falcons go give a tiny bit of flexibility.

I’m taking a small step back while I’m on holiday atm to make sure I’m actually committing to this rather than just a complete whim…

I’m not expecting my games to have the kind of epic strategic scope that the Perry twins can achieve on their 8 x 6 table with thousands of miniatures. I’m after a game that can be completed in a couple of hours max on a 90cm square table that isn’t going to play out exactly the same every time.

I have no interest in playing this with anyone else except my pet opponent, for whom I will have to supply an opposing force and guide through rules regardless. With that in mind does what I’ve suggested above meet those broad requirements? I’ve basically picked what I’d like to look at.

No doubt I will do exactly the same for an opposing force-probably orks? I believe there is a similar parity between netepic Armageddon and netepic gold. It is something like 16 bases of boys, eight bases of nobs, eight bases of goblins, three stompers, four tanks.

Seems good overall. For EpicEA I'd recommend getting at least 2 more stands of boyz, the ratio there is 2:2:6 (grotz:nobz:boyz). I'd also recommend adding at least 1 Stompa, units of 3 stompa's are very fragile, a single loss breaks the formation. I'd strongly suggest taking a unit of 6, they add some much needed firepower to the Orks, as well as having the armor to take a few shots. That is going to be crucial in balancing these two teams against each other as the Eldar have an easier time than most avoiding the orks melee attacks. Your thoughts on the Eldar are great, you have a lot of variety of roles in your choices.

Here is my version of what you are selecting. Note one gunwagon is upgraded with an oddboy, the titan killer shot is another great way to add some firepower.

quote:

Minigeddon Orks, 1000 POINTS
Ghazgkhull Thraka's War Horde (NetEA Tournament Pack 2022)
==================================================

WARBAND [225]
2 Nobz, 6 Boyz, 2 Grotz, Boyz + Grotz

WARBAND [200]
2 Nobz, 6 Boyz, 2 Grotz

MEKBOY STOMPAMOB [375]
3 Stompa (with 2x Big guns and Kombat'Ammer), 3 Stompa (with 3x Big guns)

BLITZ BRIGADE [200]
4 Gunwagon, Oddboy (with Supa-Zzap-Gun)

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 19, 2023

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
forest dragon is releasing 10mm questing knights.

amazing

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
im gonna make a boston blood bowl team

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I managed a great game of Epic the other day. I took the entire Deathwing Company, with some flyers in support. Jumped onto thier BTS turn one, took it out, plus took out a pretty big chunk of their troops. They were Orks, and they managed some insanely good rolls, but I just couldn't handle all the assaults. The early ones went my way, but the orks fighting on 4+ in melee wore me down. MVP was a lone Terminator Captain that was assaulted by and crushed a full formation of 8 bikes.

I lost badly, but the game was super fun. Being able to field 100 Terminators is exactly what I love about epic.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Virtual Russian posted:

I lost badly, but the game was super fun. Being able to field 100 Terminators is exactly what I love about epic.

I absolutely love this. It makes me feel more inclined to try Epic 😂

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

also everyone's main complaint about 40K atm

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Working on the last guy for my Rogue Trader kill-team, the Lectro-Maester stand in.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Squibsy posted:

I absolutely love this. It makes me feel more inclined to try Epic 😂

It was pretty sweet, turn one felt amazing. I was teleporting in terminators, taking out massive formations, but I did lose a few too many stands. The Ork counter-attack was pretty decisive, supported by super-zap-gunz, a ton of boyz began assaulting my formations. I won almost all of them, but was always losing a stand or two with every assault. Most notably a formation that had been reduced to just a single captain won an assault against 8 units of bikes. By turn 3 I was reeling, the orks had just enough units in reserve or intact on the fiend to play objectives, meanwhile I had something like 5 stands of terminators left, plus 4 thunderbolts and a thunderhawk. I really couldn't hold up against just how many boyz my opponent took, plus they had a few titankiller guns, as well as plenty of melee macroweapons. I definitely made some mistakes, I won my initial teleport assaults too well, I needed to spread the assaults out more, it being better to just win 5 assaults vs win 3 by a landslide.

It was a very fun lore-friendly army. Super cool to deploy the entire Deathwing. I will play this army more, but it does feel less than competitive. It can hit like nothing else, but any amount of TK or MW hits just melt the army away.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
I adore Epic, I think it's honestly a far better game than 40K has ever been and ever will be. The whole hook of the lore is the insane scale of the universe, being able to play that out is really fun.

And you can actually have the lore be canon with Epic! In the lore, a guardsman 1v1'ing a Space Marine would never in a million years end with the guardsman coming out on top. An entire formation (the basic unit of epic, usually about the size of a 1000 point list in 40K) of tactical marines could absolutely lose out to a platoon's worth of guard taking full advantage of their numbers and what not. Epic is fluffy, Epic is fun, Epic is good. Really hoping the rumors of an Epic revival are true, especially the hopes for a second edition set in the Great Crusade with Xenos lists.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Do we need to do an Orlando goon killteam day? I'm on the West side of Disney near Champions Gate and could host if I'm centrally located.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

I loved SM2 for the grand scale and ridiculosity. Force selection by pre-made groups.

And I never won except that one time with Land Raiders against the land crab bugs.
Every iteration since I lose harder. I still collect and paint a humongous Daemon Horde with some Chaos Legions that can lose against all comers

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Those cool crabs have me thinking about Nissan for my next Killteam. Do I understand it correctly that I can have three warriors and five Genestealers as a team? It looks pretty effective for killing the heck out of stuff

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Professor Shark posted:

Those cool crabs have me thinking about Nissan for my next Killteam. Do I understand it correctly that I can have three warriors and five Genestealers as a team? It looks pretty effective for killing the heck out of stuff

I think you can only bring two SUVs, one cross over, and the rest of the team has to be sedans. You can select up to 4 to be hybrids or electrics.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Goddamn auto correct lol

NIDS. Haha

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

First time playing BB with my skaven. Man the rulebook is convoluted and I still don't understand much of how to play the game but at least I got a touchdown by passing my gutter runner the ball and did two successful Go For Its

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

First time playing BB with my skaven. Man the rulebook is convoluted and I still don't understand much of how to play the game but at least I got a touchdown by passing my gutter runner the ball and did two successful Go For Its

Your Skaven look quite nice! Also, yeah, give ball to Gutter Runner and score is a classic Skaven play.

Had two games over the weekend with my goblins in my local league, and boy, it was exciting. One loss versus Vampires, one draw versus Humans, both of which were redrafted teams up about 140k over my gobs.

Notable events include my ‘ooligan permanently killing a 250k vampire through fouling (Regen failure, apothecary failure) and getting two other fouling casualties that were regenerated before he was finally caught and kicked out, managing a final turn TTM touchdown with my Doom Diver to tie up the score vs the Human team, and a simultaneous casualty and KO via Multiple Block, which was rolled randomly on one of my trolls and used to amazing effect on the LOS.

May see about trying the Biased Ref/Fink da Fixer combo - can’t be thrown out for arguing the call, plus it succeeds on a 4+. Biased Ref was already huge in keeping my Secret Weapons on the pitch during my 2nd game, so I think making it even more reliable might be a good plan. Goblins are so strange to play with, but when they work well, you can really pull off some amazing bullshit.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
A buddy of mine that I play Necromunda and 40k with has been working on getting me to try Warcry for a while, and so this weekend it finally happened. We got in 2 games in 2 hours including me learning all the rules and checking out which warbands I wanted to play. I think it is a great, great "beer and pretzels" minis game; super easy to pick up, interesting with the random missions / deployment / twists, neat initiative mini-game type thing, and so swingy with crits that you can't possibly play it competitively. If my backlog wasn't the size of the moon, I'd pick up the starter box! If you are looking for a very casual game or a great "how to minis game" for friends, this is a good one.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is there any way to play make 3rd-6th Ed. WHFB work with massed regiment bases? My figures are 10mm and typically based either 8 to a 1x2" base, or 4 to a 1x1" base. I have a sneaking suspicion it will be casualty tracking like Kings of War's Nerve. Any suggestions?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Yeah, you'd have to use damage tokens or something since WFB miniatures are basically just hit point markers.

Necromunda questions: is Ash Wastes the most recent rulebook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
I truly can't imagine any red-blooded WHFB player turning down a game against any kind of painted models.

That said, get ready for more math than you might expect from a game of Warhammer because you'll have to calculate how many models are still in combat which is not a consideration at the scale of Warmaster.