Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

well, then the times they went into anaphylactic shock from restaurants that sworn they used none are weird gags to play :shrug:

they rarely eat out and make everything from scratch, which honestly is a good choice regardless

edit: it's not an 'oh it bothers me, i swear' allergy for them and is a pain to safely eat while traveling but yeah i'm sure it's an act

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 25, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

If someone legitimately went into anaphylactic shock from glutamate they would probably already be dead. It's in tons of foods, it's an amino acid that your body produces, and even the people who claim to be sensitive to MSG don't generally claim that they have that sort of reaction.

Not saying your friend didn't go into anaphylactic shock, but like, are they really, really, really sure it's actually MSG they had a reaction to?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mystes posted:

If someone legitimately went into anaphylactic shock from glutamate they would probably already be dead, and even the people who claim to be allergic to MSG don't generally claim that they have that sort of reaction.

Not saying your friend didn't go into anaphylactic shock, but like, are they really, really sure it's actually MSG they had a reaction to?

bingo. not doubting they’re allergic to something. extremely doubtful they’re allergic to msg. glutamates are in a lot of poo poo. including your own body. it’s literally the most abundant amino acid in humans. simmer down.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

maybe its the sodium thjeyre allergic to?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

fart simpson posted:

possibly? I haven't interrogated them, just that that as a longtime family friend we've seen them go through a lot due to it

avoiding additive and naturally high occurring MSG was the key and they've generally fine, but it's makes for a restrictive diet and lifestyle

mediaphage posted:

bingo. not doubting they’re allergic to something. extremely doubtful they’re allergic to msg. glutamates are in a lot of poo poo. including your own body. it’s literally the most abundant amino acid in humans. simmer down.

it could be they're simplifying the explanation; I'll admit I was very young when they told me about it and as an adult I don't want to pry

if it's adjacent as fart simpson pointed out, then avoiding it as an additive is a shorthand and I've clearly misunderstood or missed some information and readily admit that

What i do know is my mom had to wait for the ambulance with them at least once and they've given up on eating most anywhere after the severity of the last time

edit: I understand you're all calling out something obviously dubious, and I appreciate that. I clearly didn't understand this person's specific issue and my generality/misunderstanding didn't help

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 25, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i assume fart was just being his average rear end in a top hat self. you’re not likely going to survive a sodium allergy either considering it’s one of the most important elements in the body, responsible for all sorts of cellular regulation mechanisms.

again, not suggesting there’s no allergy, i’m just extremely doubtful it’s msg. there have been a bunch of studies on msg and they couldn’t even find someone who’s allergic to it. food allergies are hard to diagnose because of how many components are in the things we eat and it’s entirely possible that there’s something else that isn’t necessary for life that generally occurs in comparatively high concentrations alongside foods that are suspected to have msg.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Dick Fontaine posted:

cjs: Can’t sleep because I can’t stop thinking about the incredibly stupid thing my team was told today. That we should stop asking questions that can be answered by doctrine.

What the gently caress is that even supposed to mean?

for more information please reread this doctrine

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mediaphage posted:

i assume fart was just being his average rear end in a top hat self. you’re not likely going to survive a sodium allergy either considering it’s one of the most important elements in the body, responsible for all sorts of cellular regulation mechanisms.

again, not suggesting there’s no allergy, i’m just extremely doubtful it’s msg. there have been a bunch of studies on msg and they couldn’t even find someone who’s allergic to it. food allergies are hard to diagnose because of how many components are in the things we eat and it’s entirely possible that there’s something else that isn’t necessary for life that generally occurs in comparatively high concentrations alongside foods that are suspected to have msg.

glad to have u back in yospos, op

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mediaphage posted:

I think you're right that it's adjacent and she's using a shorthand to avoid exposure. I know it's gotten worse over time to the point where it's severe, so identifying the true cause isn't worth the risk

edit: idk, I know the reactions are real and I'd like my godmother not to die because someone thinks it's funny on the internet so it struck a bit of a nerve. I know that's not your intent! but still

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009
wonderful yet strange smell

PIZZA.BAT posted:

for more information please reread this doctrine

reads like something atomic shrimp would write to a scammer

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

sadbrains day

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

cjs: it's tuesday and i'm already over this week

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

fart simpson posted:

Maybe it's mono

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
maybe it's havana syndrome

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fart simpson posted:

glad to have u back in yospos, op

i’m not

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

my cat is still sick and having a rough time digestively, I cleaned up a total horror movie set this morning :(

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the pos is better with its full cast of characters

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Pollyanna posted:

my cat is still sick and having a rough time digestively, I cleaned up a total horror movie set this morning :(

not a fun way to start the day. hopefully things settle soon

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

fart simpson posted:

the pos is better with its full cast of characters

unicode or ascii characters?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Agile Vector posted:

not a fun way to start the day. hopefully things settle soon

this is chronic, unfortunately. I need to talk to a vet today

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

walking up to michael’s to get some dye. i have a really comfortable tshirt (lol it’s just old navy but i like it) that has like cooking stains and poo poo. what colour should i dye it (currently too lazy to tie dye)

Pollyanna posted:

sorry op hope things look up soon

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

unicode or ascii characters?

the answer is obvious

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Pollyanna posted:

ugh, poo poo, sorry :(

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mediaphage posted:

walking up to michael’s to get some dye. i have a really comfortable tshirt (lol it’s just old navy but i like it) that has like cooking stains and poo poo. what colour should i dye it (currently too lazy to tie dye)

I like blues, but it depends on the cooking stain types

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dick Fontaine posted:

cjs: Can’t sleep because I can’t stop thinking about the incredibly stupid thing my team was told today. That we should stop asking questions that can be answered by doctrine.

Do you work for the Vatican?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I prefer the air superiority doctrine personally

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Dick Fontaine posted:

funny usually it's like pulling teeth to get engineers to write doctrine

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

return to monke imo

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

cjs: beginning to think that the senior devs and engineers I work with are not, in fact, all that great

:thunk:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

cjs: beginning to think that the senior devs and engineers I work with are not, in fact, all that great

:thunk:

failed to rush the wonder huh?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

dammit that took me a bit

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Dick Fontaine posted:

sounds like you're ASTONISHED

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i am very interested in this alternative egg as my wife recently found that eggs upset her. but she loves eggs. she's fine if it's like, the small amount of egg in a baked good, which it seems like these replacements are made for? i assume there is just no way i'm gonna make fake scrambled eggs that taste like real eggs?

Ackee tastes/looks just like scrambled eggs when cooked

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

fins posted:

Ackee tastes/looks just like scrambled eggs when cooked
last time we had ackee and saltfish this was my impression as well lol

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

cjs: oh good our new cto is bringing programs from his prior companies to us

prior companies being uber and meta

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
your problems started when the exec recruiters or whoever read "uber and meta" and didnt make a face and run, unfortunately

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cjs: what motherfucker made the create ticket window in JIRA a modal floating frame-thing that vanishes & takes all your input with it if you dare to click outside said frame-thing, e.g. by misclicking just below the Create button after i've typed everything

:argh:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

cjs: oh good our new cto is bringing programs from his prior companies to us

prior companies being uber and meta

our ceo is a former uber ceo

so good luck

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Agile Vector posted:

I think you're right that it's adjacent and she's using a shorthand to avoid exposure. I know it's gotten worse over time to the point where it's severe, so identifying the true cause isn't worth the risk

edit: idk, I know the reactions are real and I'd like my godmother not to die because someone thinks it's funny on the internet so it struck a bit of a nerve. I know that's not your intent! but still

people can have severe psychosomatic reactions too, fwiw, and that doesn't make it any less real of a reaction even if the cause is misplaced. otherwise i'd put my money on something else used in a lot of asian cooking like shellfish or something, as others have said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kenny Logins posted:

last time we had ackee and saltfish this was my impression as well lol

ackee and saltfish is real good