Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Elder Postsman posted:

5 day shipping should be normal imo. no one really needs a thing in 2 days. and if you do well just go to the store and get it.

if you wanna live without a car, quick online delivery for essentials are a godsend

i would rather have local shops more readily available, but most american cities, even those with decent by america standards transit, are very much designed around the idea that you drive everywhere

i can get groceries by walking easily, but a 3h trip to home depot or whatever for a tool, through an environment that screams "why aren't you driving a personal car, idiot!", just isn't worth it over free two- or one-day shipping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

mediaphage posted:

i've had this thought before. like, for the vast majority of things having a once-per-two-weeks delivery day would be fine, and even good? you expect to get things delivered say every other friday and in the meantime you just add various things to carts and then they all show up on that day
This isn't that different from amazon's amazon day feature although i guess that's once per week

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mystes posted:

This isn't that different from amazon's amazon day feature although i guess that's once per week

ah they don't do that here; i hadn't heard it before.

honestly though i'd have no real problem with even pushing it out to once a month. if i could get reasonable healthcare i'd be fine living in some distant part of canada with everything shipped in every couple of months lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
one day i'm just gonna get a po box and have everything sent there so i can just pick it up once or twice a week

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
order two things from amazon

item 1: arrives 7-11am, or in five days
item 2: arrives tomorrow, or in five days

its so dumb

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
amazon seems to have become increasingly inefficient

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

mystes posted:

when I schedule things to be delivered on amazon day they still show up 1 item a day all week long anyway

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Jonny 290 posted:

order two things from amazon

item 1: arrives 7-11am, or in five days
item 2: arrives tomorrow, or in five days

its so dumb

I get this. Though it usually just arrives in 5 days even if it’s supposed to be next day. If I have to order from Amazon now (which gets rarer and rarer for a variety of reasons, the main thing is all the counterfeits and random junk that’s not what I ordered) I have it delivered to something like a Whole Foods and pick it up there. Half the time if I order something it just gets delivered to the wrong place. And it’s not just Amazon either.; I’ve had Walmart misdeliver as well. And of course it’s never at the neighbor’s next door. If my address is 123 Main Street stuff will get delivered to 989 FuckOff Blvd. 6 blocks away.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

amazon's delivery is fast and on time here :shrug:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i generally try to find an alternative to amazon that is local first, then chains, if there isn't some place i can't simply walk to

home depot is pretty great to order from, they just get some guy w a truck to bring it to you

best buy also has overperformed throughout covid, w instore pickup too

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah, that's another thing, it's harder and harder to find anything specific on amazon at all, and 97% of what you do find is identical cheapest-junk-off-alibaba with different keysmash fake brands applied, tagged incorrectly, with indecipherable or incorrect product information

Share Bear posted:

i generally try to find an alternative to amazon that is local first, then chains, if there isn't some place i can't simply walk to

home depot is pretty great to order from, they just get some guy w a truck to bring it to you

yeah best buy's instore pickup has always been pretty good but the covid push for more retailers to do instore pickup and do it better has been amazing

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

i usually have my amazon deliveries go to a nearby drop box, to me it feels less of a burden on the staff idk

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
best buy's pickup is amazing. when i bought my tv and receiver they were all "ok we'll have it ready in 3 hours" and texted me five minutes later to say it's ready

Also i flew my first dji mini into a roof, took it back the next day saying "uhhhhh camera doesn't work right" and they swapped on the spot

mystes
May 31, 2006

hailthefish posted:

when I schedule things to be delivered on amazon day they still show up 1 item a day all week long anyway
Really? I've only used it a few times, but it seemed like while items could sometimes arrive one day early, if I order a lot of stuff it does tend to all come together in 1-2 boxes on the scheduled day

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

yeah, i haven't had any delivery issues with amazon. most anything arrives in 3 days, usually sooner. i've never bothered with the amazon day stuff because i don't order *that* frequently. i'm not going to bitch about something arriving next day that i didn't need so soon -- if it makes sense for them to put an item on a driver's route today instead of tomorrow, then whatever.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

mystes posted:

Really? I've only used it a few times, but it seemed like while items could sometimes arrive one day early, if I order a lot of stuff it does tend to all come together in 1-2 boxes on the scheduled day

I'm about a hundred miles away from the nearest major urban area which is definitely a big part of it I suspect

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

jfc.

i live in alone in the boonies, why hasn't the world optimized for me yet

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Share Bear posted:

yeah, that's where i got my m1pro, good experience all around - they had it brand new for ~$100 less than an identically-spec'd apple refurb. it was literally two days before the m2s came out so that's probably why.

best buy's delivery tho, hoo boy. it's bad, folks. i ordered a TV last spring and they gave me free 24 hour delivery, contracted out through "roadie". i watched on the tracking site as the driver drove to about half a block away from my house and marked delivery attempted. took like 4 phone calls with best buy where they kept saying they'd retry delivery before they finally agreed to cancel and refund my order.

mystes
May 31, 2006

nudgenudgetilt posted:

jfc.

i live in alone in the boonies, why hasn't the world optimized for me yet
To be fair, amazon delivering packages at unexpected times can be annoying, but mainly only if you live in an apartment where someone's going to steal it or something, and not so much in the middle of nowhere

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

sometimes the amazon driver comes at like 4 AM and puts my name into the gate thing and it calls my phone which is real fun

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the actual delivery itself is mostly fine (except when usps just doesnt deliver it), its that amazon waits forever to actually ship it. Like i ordered something saturday and it says it was shipped today with an estimated delivery of tomorrow (but will actually be delivered thursday).

idk what the gently caress is up w/ that

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
amazon logistics are getting worse in europe too. they've mostly replaced dhl with their own trucks here in nl, and the drivers must be overworked given how little they care about things like handle with care labels and traffic rules

packaging is horrible too. i ordered a tub (about a pint) of exotic household cleaner that's not available in stores and it came in big box, 5in x 12in x 12in. tub dented, lid broken and cleaner everywhere. who the gently caress packages things like that

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
part of the reason here at least is that combined with relentless expansion they treat the warehouse employees like slaves, same with their amazon-branded contracted delivery drivers. the turnover is apparently insane

i'm sure it's not unique to the nyc area but they also tried to crush their unionization drive here. i can't imagine most people working there are motivated to do a good job, just a job until they're ground into dust and quit

predictably its been getting worse

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
companies are innovative and helpful for just long enough that they can capture the market and then it's time for some rent seeking babey

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sapozhnik posted:

companies are innovative and helpful for just long enough that they can capture the market and then it's time for some rent seeking babey

Hey now we have to innovate every day to get promoted

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Honestly, if I can put up a taller fence for better privacy and to not be reminded on a daily basis of the inevitable, I'd buy that house for sure at that price

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i would bleed out in that bathroom within like a week

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

very few windows in general also

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

3br? more like 1br and 2 converted closets

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

EricBauman posted:

amazon logistics are getting worse in europe too. they've mostly replaced dhl with their own trucks here in nl, and the drivers must be overworked given how little they care about things like handle with care labels and traffic rules

packaging is horrible too. i ordered a tub (about a pint) of exotic household cleaner that's not available in stores and it came in big box, 5in x 12in x 12in. tub dented, lid broken and cleaner everywhere. who the gently caress packages things like that

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/amazon-sued-over-crashes-by-drivers-rushing-to-make-deliveries-1.1680831

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/05/us/amazon-delivery-drivers-accidents.html

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

EricBauman posted:

get ye to this excellent thread for some truly great examples of packaging and logistics https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3932360&pagenumber=21&perpage=40

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

Originally that’s how it worked for me but lately they’ve been pretty good.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the story about that tech exec who was stabbed to death by a crazy homeless junkie a fellow rich tech exec just keeps getting better and better

https://twitter.com/mdbarba/status/1650640943006248961

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
crazy bob was into drugs?

the hell you say

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

i assume it's got to be this. jack up the price, fire some delivery drivers, crank out cheap poo poo, and pay the executives the difference.

because at this point where else are you going to go?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Ah so it was in fact a crazed junkie

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
drugs cost money

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
but the first hit is always free

just don't do the same drug twice, i guess.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

infernal machines posted:

just don't do the same drug twice, i guess.

up against the wall for crimes against coffee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

infernal machines posted:

Given the context, I'm not sure if "hit" means dose of a drug or assassination here, but I guess either way