Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
yuck, all yuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

idk how robust this analogy is that im coming up with on the spot, but you can collect bottles of wine with the intent to sell them for more than you bought them for, and some people do exactly that. but that's not why the wine industry exists. if you couldnt drink it then that whole wine collectors market wouldnt really exist

counterpoint : funkopops

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

counterpoint : funkopops

the real counterpoint is shitcoins. powerful 2 hander is basically claiming that all stonks are shitcoins. but theyre not

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

fart simpson posted:

the real counterpoint is shitcoins. powerful 2 hander is basically claiming that all stonks are shitcoins. but theyre not

I am absolutely not claiming that. A normal stock is a value of future cash flows in the form of dividends (discounted Vs what you could get in bonds/interest) and assets you nominally own a share of. but you can also have stocks that pay no dividend because a) they have no money to pay out so you're really "betting" on a recovery or they have a plan that is gonna work (and they don't get bought by private equity or whatever) or b) those assets are growing anyway so your nominal piece of that pie is growing in value and you don't care because the share price goes up.

if the price is completely detached from those things* then you've got some idk enthusiasm premium or you're in a bubble and people are believing hype like "yes yes we lose money but we make it up in volume, the fart app market potential is huge!" Or "yes we sell bad cars that catch fire but according to our calculations in future we will sell 9 billion cybertrucks to martians and therefore"

just because it *can* be completely valid doesn't mean it always is

*on a given day there will still be a spread because of general trading, news that might impact the future cash flow to grow those assets etc etc so there can be variation from crude assets/number of outstanding shares = share price

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 26, 2023

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Shame Boy posted:

my theory explains market behavior better than anyone who has ever won a "nobel" ""prize"" in economics

economists shamelessly fabricated the ""nobel" prize" in economics

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I am absolutely not claiming that. A normal stock is a value of future cash flows in the form of dividends (discounted Vs what you could get in bonds/interest) and assets you nominally own a share of. but you can also have stocks that pay no dividend because a) they have no money to pay out so you're really "betting" on a recovery or they have a plan that is gonna work (and they don't get bought by private equity or whatever) or b) those assets are growing anyway so your nominal piece of that pie is growing in value and you don't care because the share price goes up.

if the price is completely detached from those things* then you've got some idk enthusiasm premium or you're in a bubble and people are believing hype like "yes yes we lose money but we make it up in volume, the fart app market potential is huge!" Or "yes we sell bad cars that catch fire but according to our calculations in future we will sell 9 billion cybertrucks to martians and therefore"

just because it *can* be completely valid doesn't mean it always is

*on a given day there will still be a spread because of general trading, news that might impact the future cash flow to grow those assets etc etc so there can be variation from crude assets/number of outstanding shares = share price

yeah but the point of apple stocks going up is that eventually as a shareholder you get a portion of their profits, which youre expecting will be a lot. individual people might just be in it to speculate but thats not why it exists in general

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i didnt read up on any of this but i think before words like dividend and stock existed in actual law, you probably had people investing in companies with the expectation of some future gain (and being able to have a say in the decisions the company takes too)

even the nobles who supported artists expected to get pieces of art out of it

so probably the idea of buying a stock just to have a stock could only exist thanks to a legal framework situation where buying stocks with the intent to profit either by dividends or some other way is the norm

like the wine collectors analogy mentioned
above kind of

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
none of this should exist i will not be taking any questions thank you for your time

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

fart simpson posted:

yeah but the point of apple stocks going up is that eventually as a shareholder you get a portion of their profits, which youre expecting will be a lot. individual people might just be in it to speculate but thats not why it exists in general

you can transfer those shares. you're not like "oh I guess I'll sit here until they pay out" you cash out by transferring that % to someone else, or you hold it forever or until idk apple somehow manages to implode or their money becomes "away from them"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

you can transfer those shares. you're not like "oh I guess I'll sit here until they pay out" you cash out by transferring that % to someone else, or you hold it forever or until idk apple somehow manages to implode or their money becomes "away from them"

that doesn’t change anything that im talking about

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the thing I take issue with is not whether buybacks or dividends are bad or worth it, but that of what you’re doing is a massive layoff then huge buybacks worth more than the layoffs, you’re a god drat asswipe, and it’s the usual pattern of extracting the livelihood out of employees (which the board apparently approved and said “yes great idea let’s stockpile more, this has nothing to do with being a work from home pandemic”) and turning it into profits to an investor class.

absolute lack of foresight by the deciders, and they run away with all the money regardless.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, not like there is a *good* way to throw piles of money on shareholders while firing people.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

fart simpson posted:

that doesn’t change anything that im talking about

I don't even know what you're talking about you weren't even the original person I replied to

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

banning returning cash to shareholders (so both dividends and buybacks and whatever else) in a way that actually gets believed makes net present value of all shares 0, you understand that

i am really not kidding in saying that that would be the revolution

you also said the contagion from the svb collapse was going to crater the global economy, so idk.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I don't even know what you're talking about you weren't even the original person I replied to

ok then it doesn’t change anything the guy you were replying to was saying

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

fart simpson posted:

ok then it doesn’t change anything the guy you were replying to was saying

which was "why would you buy a stock that doesn't pay any dividend" and which there is an answer for

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
please just kiss and make up

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

fart simpson I love you

Carrier
May 12, 2009

tech babble: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65378617

Carrier
May 12, 2009

now i wont be able to play call of duty in the uk, frick

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

"The CMA's report contradicts the ambitions of the UK to become an attractive country to build technology businesses," a spokesperson for Activision said.

i know that just comes from a box of canned responses they open up whenever anything doesn't go their way but i love the argument that if you don't let this 60 billion dollar merger happen it'll be so discouraging to those poor lil' mom and pop videogame companies

e: lmao so much whining

quote:

"The report's conclusions are a disservice to UK citizens, who face increasingly dire economic prospects. We will reassess our growth plans for the UK. Global innovators large and small will take note that - despite all its rhetoric - the UK is clearly closed for business."

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 26, 2023

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

i know that just comes from a box of canned responses they open up whenever anything doesn't go their way but i love the argument that if you don't let this 60 billion dollar merger happen it'll be so discouraging to those poor lil' mom and pop videogame companies

ironically the converse is also kind of bizarre, where if you let this merger happen it'll be so discouraging to those poor lil' mom and pop videogame companies

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

ADINSX posted:

Money is about as old as civilization and predates capitalism. You can acknowledge it exists and still believe it should be distributed more fairly

It only exists because people agree that it does

DELETE CASCADE posted:

money is a social construct

pseudorandom name posted:

debt is as old as civilization and predates capitalism, but money is a much more recent invention than civilization

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

money and debt are for sure more artificial than ownership shares in actual enterprises. if we're picturing the death of capitalism i doubt money would fully go away, but if it did it'd happen before the idea of owning part of an organized human effort did

e: not *private* ownership then ofc

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I guess it's nice that these regulators didn't fall for the obvious "oh but we'll still keep selling calloduty" distraction

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

fyi capitalism doesn't own the concepts of money, markets, investment and debt, it means the concerns of the owners of capital are the primary force for setting economic laws and policy.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

infernal machines posted:

you also said the contagion from the svb collapse was going to crater the global economy, so idk.

i said it was gonna be a slow domino effect taking 2 yearsish. the 2008 thing took 4 years to play out the majority of it

credit suisse was real fast but frc is dying fairly slow. etc etc

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 26, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

qirex posted:

fyi capitalism doesn't own the concepts of money, markets, investment and debt, it means the concerns of the owners of capital are the primary force for setting economic laws and policy.

yeah, it is entirely too common for people to conflate the concept of an economy with capitalism. one of my college profs called this "capitalist correctness"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

yeah, it is entirely too common for people to conflate the concept of an economy with capitalism. one of my college profs called this "capitalist correctness"
that owns

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

okay i've made my case that adding chat AI to everything at work is a terrible idea, management still seems to think that escaping prompts is something that can be solved just by "training it better" so i'm just gonna post the "unreliable data -> infallible results" png and wash my hands of this bullshit

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lmao let's ask it to write all our documentation from now on, great idea, fantastic

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i absolutely cannot wait for marketers to master the art of poisoning the data scraped from web pages so that all the llm-wrapper software floating around is poised to launch into a screed about amazing deals on penis pills or totinos pizza rolls whenever they see a mildly unusual word

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Internet Janitor posted:

i absolutely cannot wait for marketers to master the art of poisoning the data scraped from web pages so that all the llm-wrapper software floating around is poised to launch into a screed about amazing deals on penis pills or totinos pizza rolls whenever they see a mildly unusual word
it's almost like nobody cares about what any of this crap actually does in the long run they're just inflating a bubble via selling a fantasy to hopeful rubes

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

traditionally the hopeful rubes were mostly customers, wasting their money on crap that doesn't work as advertised

in some ways it's a lot worse when the hopeful rubes are megacorps with services that are functionally irreplaceable, setting their existing product lines on fire to juice the next quarter's earnings

when entire governments are the hopeful rubes we're really hosed

which is to say, we're really hosed

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZJIpTIPnRs

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i don't think the stakes are that high is the thing. it may be dumb, but the way it is rolled out kind of prevents it from being a huge issue (e.g. paying for openai api calls is not going to bankrupt anyone, except possibly openai)

one doesn't have to be happy about it, but it seems pretty easy to lol at to me

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the margins are not good enough to be magic beans

mcdonalds is a terrible company in many ways but they are not fraudulent. pay a dollar whatever, get a hamburger. margins completely comparable to mcdonalds

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
literally can't remember the last time anything at mcds was a dollar

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

congress-critters are openly fiddling with using chatgpt to summarize and compose bills

megacorps are openly dumping their crm corpuses into chatgpt without thinking very hard about the implications of giving PII to a third party with zero regard for privacy or stewardship

there are very bad things happening already which do not require you to personally make poor decisions about this technology, but which nonetheless may have a significant impact on your life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
a packet of ketchup, maybe