Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

holy poo poo i hope that guys price just went up 30% that's some serious bullshit

i recommended a friend for oldjob and they did a similar thing to him in the interview, giving him a laptop that didn't have a ruby tool chain on it so he could live prove he knew the environment (he came from mostly perl but knew his ruby poo poo from being the perl guy at ruby shops). i was fuckin mortified that they did that to him, and they trotted out a very similar excuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
intellectual beating in, lol

the problem with hazing is that it begins as like, ooh here lets go get this guy to get blinker fluid so he talks to everyone and learns everyones face and name but because its this intensely masculine thing there is always a risk it escalates in the macho way to keelhauling and 21-liquor-shot salutes or their intellectual equivalent. i mean you were already saying it escalated to the interviewee getting the crushing illusion that they bombed the interview

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 26, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i much prefer beating off tyvm

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hobbesmaster posted:

that reminds me, I haven’t thought about it too much but how would you handle the situation where a job switch promotion was an identical title to the old job?

just let the description stand on its own?

I’m not sure i understand the question?

If you went from company chome as a butt admin II to company mome as a butt admin II that’s what you put down

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

in a well actually posted:

saw a ‘senior devops eng’ resume in on reddit with 3 YoE whose current position was an internship. I mean, its possible, but…

and at the opposite end of the spectrum, my title with 20+ yoe is "senior devops eng", because I said "I dunno, whatever" when I was asked what I wanted my title to be.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i do regret not asking for a "founding" title though, considering two people who got founding titles were brought on after me.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

can't you just ask for a new title?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

can't you just ask for a new title?

i could if i cared *that* much. they just hit me with a >30% raise when our last round closed, so for what they're paying me, they can call me assitant janitor for all i care. they're trying to get me to take on a direct report or two, so i figure that's the time for a new title if/when

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

tk posted:

God drat that sounds like a lovely work culture.

we’re up front when we give them the assignment a week in advance that we’re going to be role playing customers and anyone with customer-facing experience knows what that means. it’s the nature of the job and we make sure we make it very clear to any applicants so they know what they’re signing up for

so by lovely work culture you could say, ‘lovely culture’ because none of this poo poo would be necessary if customers weren’t willing to bite your head off for the smallest mistake. but they will and id rather we filtered people out in a safe environment with clear flashing WARNING signs and a debriefing afterwards rather than just tossing random people with decent enough tech chops to the wolves

i’ve been doing this poo poo for over a decade now. believe me when i say if this weren’t necessary we wouldn’t do it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

then you should. Your title is important, it defines the jobs you will be interviewing for next.

im sure i posted my “titles are important” anecdote somewhere in this thread, you can search for it if u like, im in an airplane and im not about to type the whole thing on a phone.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i agree that titles do help select for the type of company/role you'll do next, but i tend to use it as a different sort of filter...

two of the more recent entries on my resume are effectively proprietor at "nnt's pinball and computer repair" and proprietor at "nnt's internet services and pinball repair", mixed with a couple "systems engineer" and "senior systems engineer" roles at academic orgs. it works well for me because the sort of folks who dig the irreverent resume are the sort of folks i enjoy working with

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I constantly need to double check levels because instead of numbers every company has adopted the stupid Microsoft position naming system.

don't worry, the level numbers aren't portable across companies either

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
thanks thread for the startup questions - had a call at a startup today trying to get out of bigcorp. the change over the year one is important!

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

hobbesmaster posted:

that reminds me, I haven’t thought about it too much but how would you handle the situation where a job switch promotion was an identical title to the old job?

just let the description stand on its own?

I have a dumber situation - same job title, same company, wildly different role and responsibilities. I’ll probably keep both jobs separated on the resume with something like Senior Monkey (Internal) —- Senior Monkey (External) to keep the accomplishments separate.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

thanks thread for the startup questions - had a call at a startup today trying to get out of bigcorp. the change over the year one is important!

lol im trying to do the opposite right now. get out or startup land and into a big boring company. kinda blew my phone screen with a fancy finance shop yesterday because all their questions were super open ended like “what do you think is important for tech leadership”

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

had a screener phone call for a senior Eng position with a company on a lark, it went extremely well and they wanted to bring me in for an on site interview

2 business days later

an 8 hour round trip away

for a remote position

I asked them if they could make it remote and they insisted on an in person interview and asked when would be good to come down. I get why but Jesus there is zero respect for my time

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's not going to get better after they hire you.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

gotta disagree with ultrafilter. depending on size, they might have been burned by people cheating on remote interviews before. it's apparently a thing.

the two days is eyebrow-raising to me, but not wanting to do a remote interview seems fine. if they're willing to reschedule, that's how things should be.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

yeah, the remote interview cheaters are real. at least the blatant ones are easy to catch. they usually have video problems early on because they're doing some goofy screen capture to the real interviewee, then have lots of lag before any of their responses

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

keep getting calls from some recruiter outfit called no poo poo John galt recruiting, lol gently caress off

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Jenny Agutter posted:

keep getting calls from some recruiter outfit called no poo poo John galt recruiting, lol gently caress off

Never heard of them. Who are they? :v:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Quackles posted:

boooo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Quackles posted:

lol

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Quackles posted:

well you see goes into 40 page rant about the free market

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Not a Children posted:

had a screener phone call for a senior Eng position with a company on a lark, it went extremely well and they wanted to bring me in for an on site interview

2 business days later

an 8 hour round trip away

for a remote position

I asked them if they could make it remote and they insisted on an in person interview and asked when would be good to come down. I get why but Jesus there is zero respect for my time

I’ve had startups (pre-covid) do this… but I also was unemployed so a 2d turnaround wasn’t awful.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

AWWNAW posted:

lol im trying to do the opposite right now. get out or startup land and into a big boring company. kinda blew my phone screen with a fancy finance shop yesterday because all their questions were super open ended like “what do you think is important for tech leadership”

that's an easy answer won't buy into salesforce or oracle's bullshit

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

AWWNAW posted:

yeah the only thing you can do with those sort of wide open behavioural stuff is practice a set or 10-15 stories, and pick the one that best suits the question asked.

I want to get into a smaller company because it realised I’m exactly the person described in the first page twitter thread - “Big companies are necessarily full of people whose primary job it is to carry information from one meeting to another, from one department to another. Middle managers and PMs, in particular, are often defined by this type of work”. that’s me and it’s miserable, I’d like to ship a product occasionally as well.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

yeah the only thing you can do with those sort of wide open behavioural stuff is practice a set or 10-15 stories, and pick the one that best suits the question asked.

I want to get into a smaller company because it realised I’m exactly the person described in the first page twitter thread - “Big companies are necessarily full of people whose primary job it is to carry information from one meeting to another, from one department to another. Middle managers and PMs, in particular, are often defined by this type of work”. that’s me and it’s miserable, I’d like to ship a product occasionally as well.

if you're working from home these jobs are pretty great, just block off arbitrary slots of time because nobody knows how many meetings you're in and reject every invite you can and just live your life as if you didn't have to work at all!

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Corla Plankun posted:

if you're working from home these jobs are pretty great, just block off arbitrary slots of time because nobody knows how many meetings you're in and reject every invite you can and just live your life as if you didn't have to work at all!

I’m doing hybrid but it’s not far off this, I’ve just got brain worms that require me to feel like I’m actually doing something at work.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i left my nonjob and got meaningful work at a startup that folded in 7 months lol and now i'm feeling like a fool for not sticking it out at the ez one. although they were starting to catch on towards the end so i might've been worse off anyway

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
gently caress

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

im not saying you're right or wrong but imo even a good job takes so much of my life i really dont think the effort is worth it, but i've only had like six jobs so its entirely possible that i'm just unlucky

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Jenny Agutter posted:

I worked for John Galt Games about ten years ago, maybe they're related!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Who?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Corla Plankun posted:

i left my nonjob and got meaningful work at a startup that folded in 7 months lol and now i'm feeling like a fool for not sticking it out at the ez one. although they were starting to catch on towards the end so i might've been worse off anyway

this might be me lol but to be fair i would have been laid off of my previous job anyways

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i'm so tired of doing interviews. currently at 8-10/week for various roles

today i had a dude who took a full 4 minutes to ask "can you tell me more about the role" in the most verbose way possible after i asked him if he had any questions for the company. every response was similarly lengthy and content free

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i'm so tired of doing interviews. currently at 8-10/week for various roles

today i had a dude who took a full 4 minutes to ask "can you tell me more about the role" in the most verbose way possible after i asked him if he had any questions for the company. every response was similarly lengthy and content free

product management or marketing?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bro how are you getting so many interviews? i shotgunned my resume last week and have gotten 2 calls, 1 of the recruiters went on vacation after our chat :thumbsup:

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

product management or marketing?

data engineer for this one

AnimeIsTrash posted:

bro how are you getting so many interviews? i shotgunned my resume last week and have gotten 2 calls, 1 of the recruiters went on vacation after our chat :thumbsup:

i'm on the other side of the table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Seems as if nudgenudgetilt is the interviewer, not the interviewee.