Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ive got a speaker with google crap built into it too but i blacklisted its mac address from accessing the internet, and even if it could all the google stuff is blocked by the great firewall anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the docs actual clinical experience may tell em that nobody gets off it cuz nobody loses significant weight, basically
But in that case if they're saying it to someone who already has sleep apnea it's like they're saying "you shouldn't get a cpap because being able to get sufficient oxygen during the night might discourage you from losing weight" which is just hosed up

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
standard of care was tracheostomy for like 5 years after they figured out what was causing the sleep deficiency in fat peeps and weird throat peeps and that is actually for life

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mystes posted:

I would consider smart bulbs for the overhead light in my bedroom if they weren't too much of a pita just so that I could have a remote switch by my bed since the actual switch is really far away

if you get a smart switch rather than a smart bulb you can do this. some of them can have physical remotes and the ones that don't can be phone controlled

you have to be comfortable with messing around in a junction box or getting someone to do that for you, but IMO smart bulbs are way overrated and smart switches are the real secret to a smart home that actually has a positive effect on your life

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
besides all my apple poo poo (which i have siri always-on disabled) the smartest thing in my house is a bunch of cobbled together poo poo lol

i bought a 433 mhz remote thermostat for space heaters / portable AC units. then i hooked it up to control my actual gas furnace via a 5v relay board that i have running off an iphone charger plugged into the thermostat base.

and now i have a thermostat that is actually sensing the temperature wherever the little remote control is, so i can move it around the house where i actually am.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
we recently installed home assistant on an old pc to try it out and it’s been kinda fun

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

haveblue posted:

smart switches are the real secret to a smart home that actually has a positive effect on your life

literally internet relay chat

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mediaphage posted:

we recently installed home assistant on an old pc to try it out and it’s been kinda fun

i have been wanting to mess with this a little bit actually yeah. probably just kitchen timers and 'play <has-been kpop group>'

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i got this smart relay thing (https://kb.shelly.cloud/knowledge-base/shelly-1) so i could have a remote-controlled light on my shed. didn't want to run power all the way out there so i put some solar panels on the roof and it works pretty well. i can say "siri turn on the shed light" and it turns on. pretty cool. that's my only smarthome thing.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Internet Janitor posted:

landlords and builders seem to like that kind of poo poo but mostly because it's a bullet-point of selling a home as "modern and fancy" sort of like marble countertops, and because it lets you spy on the people who end up living there

The smart locks they're installing track unlocks on a per resident basis. So it can tell whether the app on my phone or my girlfriend's was the one that blocked the door. Apparently a unit's lock's logs are available to its residents. They were trying to sell that as a feature that my girlfriend and I can look at each other's door unlock history. Absolute madness.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Soylent Pudding posted:

The smart locks they're installing track unlocks on a per resident basis. So it can tell whether the app on my phone or my girlfriend's was the one that blocked the door. Apparently a unit's lock's logs are available to its residents. They were trying to sell that as a feature that my girlfriend and I can look at each other's door unlock history. Absolute madness.

I am going to live in a cabin in the woods

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol meanwhile all my neighbours know an unlock code for my shed so they can borrow poo poo

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I can think of no legitimate reason why I need to see when my romantic partner unlocked the door but can think of plenty of sinister reasons why someone would want to know that about their partner's activities

mystes
May 31, 2006

rotor posted:

literally internet relay chat

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Soylent Pudding posted:

this is loving nuts

mystes
May 31, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

This sounds like something out of a murder mystery

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mystes posted:

yeah. or a lifetime movie

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

mystes posted:

I think I posted in the security thread about this bit. There have been a series of break-ins around the county of someone accessing a woman's apartment at night and groping her in her sleep. Only thing the victims have in common is that they live in apartments all owned by this property company that recently moved to the new locks.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

I think I posted in the security thread about this bit. There have been a series of break-ins around the county of someone accessing a woman's apartment at night and groping her in her sleep. Only thing the victims have in common is that they live in apartments all owned by this property company that recently moved to the new locks.
yeah I just saw that post actually lol

A smartlock installed by the apartment's management company that you don't have completely control of is pretty terrifying

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Soylent Pudding posted:

:mildpanic:

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 27, 2023

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

when we got new locks on my sisters place the locksmith was surprised we wanted high quality "dumb" mechanical only locks then proceeded to complain about smart systems for half an hour

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

mediaphage posted:

Home assistant is real nice. Very much like going to bed and hitting a button to turn off lights / turn on fan / turn on noise machine.

tk fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 27, 2023

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qirex posted:

when we got new locks on my sisters place the locksmith was surprised we wanted high quality "dumb" mechanical only locks then proceeded to complain about smart systems for half an hour

a good locksmith

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

the docs actual clinical experience may tell em that nobody gets off it cuz nobody loses significant weight, basically

my understanding also is even if you lose the weight if you're an old you may still need it due to everything being too relaxed and jiggly in there anyway but again that's not the cpap's fault so the op's framing was weird

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

jesus

we have locks with a code but there’s 10-unique digit buttons and zero connectivity which is sufficient lock automation for me

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

a good locksmith
he'd better have been for what it cost. he did good work though and had all the correct opinions about strike plates and the like

he did do a fun demo where he opened the old "builder grade" garage lock with a screwdriver in one second without even damaging it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
technology isn't inherently bad but it does tend to centralize power in the hands of the ppl who manufacture it

even the soviets knew this back when they rolled out their electrical grid

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i got one o them big rear end flush mount deadbolts. its p good

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Soylent Pudding posted:

I was reading the local crime blotter once and came something across the lines of "Suspect entered apartment management office and took all the master keys to the building" that was very clearly talking about my apartment building. When I asked if I could get my lock changed they looked at me like I was crazy.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I guess since I won't be able to trust the locks anymore I need to rewatch Home Alone for home defense DIY projects.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

the only home automation thing I would want is one that automatically opens the windows when it detects that doing so would help cool the house

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

BMan posted:

the only home automation thing I would want is one that automatically opens the windows when it detects that doing so would help cool the house

tie this into blinds/shades and a house fan and yeah that would be pretty good

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol "pivot to ai" is the official has-been tech company mantra

quote:

Dropbox is laying off around 500 employees, making up about 16 percent of the company’s entire workforce. In a memo to employees, Dropbox CEO Drew Houston attributes the layoffs to a rocky economy — but also says that the cuts will allow the company to build out its AI division.

“In an ideal world, we’d simply shift people from one team to another. And we’ve done that wherever possible,” Houston writes. “However, our next stage of growth requires a different mix of skill sets, particularly in AI and early-stage product development. We’ve been bringing in great talent in these areas over the last couple years and we’ll need even more.”

yes we totally need ai to... store files and send them over the internet

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I have a smart thermostat for the sole reason that in the winter I can just use my phone to change the timing to boost it instead of going down to the timer.

I guess I could have got a better wired control unit but ehhhhh

also this does actually have "your window is open" detection but it's based on something stupid like humidity changes so it'll go off when you have a shower nearby

e: smart thermostat not meter. Though I also have a smart meter that auto submits readings except I just realised the gas one has been stuck showing the same value for like two months and I have no idea why.

I might have been getting free gas without realising it lol

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 27, 2023

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i stayed in a hotel room that had a panel next to the bed with buttons for all the lights in the room and you could even illuminate the "do not disturb" light on the outside of the room. I was like oh this is nice

but then I had to crawl across the king size bed to actuate it and it made me appreciate more my smart home system that I can control from my phone or by yelling at siri

also housekeeping still activated a very loud doorbell and intercom to ask if I was sure I didn't want to be disturbed, lol

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 27, 2023

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

this all reminded me of this article from the december 1950 popular mechanics about a guy who did a whole home automation thing

https://archive.org/details/PopularMechanics1950/Popular_Mechanics_12_1950/page/n85/mode/2up?view=theater

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

tk posted:

I was reading the local crime blotter once and came something across the lines of "Suspect entered apartment management office and took all the master keys to the building" that was very clearly talking about my apartment building. When I asked if I could get my lock changed they looked at me like I was crazy.

saw the same kind of lock as what my unit's got on the lockpicking lawyer so i just assume it's basically worthless against all but the most casual intruders

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

lol "pivot to ai" is the official has-been tech company mantra

yes we totally need ai to... store files and send them over the internet

its been a locus of outrageous failure for 7 decades, from paperts summer project proposing to finish up computer vision on, in addition to the outrageous successes. basically designated high-risk portion of computer science

garbage collection of memory stopped bein ai when they implemented the first decent ones

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

its been a locus of outrageous failure for 7 decades, from paperts summer project proposing to finish up computer vision on, in addition to the outrageous successes. basically designated high-risk portion of computer science
yeah this is like "we hired some people who put the correct words on their resume, there's a tiny chance some magic will happen!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Elder Postsman posted:

this all reminded me of this article from the december 1950 popular mechanics about a guy who did a whole home automation thing

https://archive.org/details/PopularMechanics1950/Popular_Mechanics_12_1950/page/n85/mode/2up?view=theater

it reminded me of tihs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtRhl-2ChFU