Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
you actually need the MS Store because that's the only way to get random stuff like HEIC file support and Remote Desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

still having a laugh at our Enterprise windows including Groove Music, the MS Store, and Movies & TV apps lol

grove music and movies and tv are just the new version windows media player (they split it in two lol)

mystes
May 31, 2006

jammyozzy posted:

Something has broken copying from calc.exe calc.appx only, on my work PC

wtf
Maybe it's a security feature because of all those pocs popping calc.exe

burning swine
May 26, 2004

edge firing off ever url you visit to bing up your rear end

https://www.theverge.com/2023/4/25/23697532/microsoft-edge-browser-url-leak-bing-privacy

it's chrome but trustworthy, you see

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

edge has always been poo poo bing spyware

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
welll, hope bing is prepared to see some weird poo poo from me

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

My god, what is that man binging up his rear end!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

burning swine posted:

edge firing off ever url you visit to bing up your rear end

https://www.theverge.com/2023/4/25/23697532/microsoft-edge-browser-url-leak-bing-privacy

it's chrome but trustworthy, you see

it appears i am unaffected thanks to my automatic disabling of every single value-add and suggestion feature

microsoft, you've never once improved my browsing experience, please gently caress off and just let me use the loving web browser to browse the web

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

infernal machines posted:

it appears i am unaffected thanks to my automatic disabling of every single value-add and suggestion feature

microsoft, you've never once improved my browsing experience, please gently caress off and just let me use the loving web browser to browse the web

i am actually surprised that the one other area they've built up a little good will (dev tools) hasn't been hosed over yet like they've done w/ os and browser

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

"pay $3.99/month to enable the semicolon key"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
actually ms has been riding the line a bit with github + "ai" stuff so maybe i don't gotta hand it to them

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Sweevo posted:

"pay $3.99/month to enable the semicolon key"

not a problem for typescript. #winning

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the only actually good microsoft products are getting canceled/rebranded

quote:

Microsoft will no longer manufacture mice, keyboards, and webcams that are Microsoft-branded. Instead, Microsoft is now focusing on its Surface-branded PC accessories, which include mice, keyboards, pens, and more. It brings an end to the legacy of Microsoft-branded PC hardware after the company first launched its first mouse in 1983 and bundled it with Microsoft Word and Notepad.

“Going forward, we are focusing on our Windows PC accessories portfolio under the Surface brand,” says Dan Laycock, senior communications manager at Microsoft, in a statement to The Verge. “We will continue to offer a range of Surface branded PC Accessories — including mice, keyboards, pens, docks, adaptive accessories, and more. Existing Microsoft branded PC accessories like mice, keyboards, and webcams will continue to be sold in existing markets at existing sell-in prices while supplies last.”
I was an intellimouse optical [the symmetrical one with side buttons] fanboy for almost a decade

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think there are some mice that are sold both just as "Microsoft" and as "Surface" but to the extent that they're actually getting rid of their keyboards/mice rather than just rebranding them that's too bad

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

qirex posted:

I was an intellimouse optical [the symmetrical one with side buttons] fanboy for almost a decade

lol jfc i just gave someone a recommendation for the most recent intellimouse explorer loving three days ago

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

ive had an mx master for like 10 years now, I think it might be most life's Most Significant Mouse

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

aren't the "surface" branded input devices more expensive and weirder? not weirder in a good way but weirder like "here's a mouse that folds in half or somehow requires drivers to have a working scroll wheel"

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

qirex posted:

nooooo

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

just bought 2x intellimouse classic just so i have some spare

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

the only good thing about microsoft is its hardware, and now they're gonna take that away too?

"surface intellimouse"

bah humbug

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
surface intellimouse 365 with BingAI

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i stole six new "Wheel Mouse Optical 1.1A"'s from work 15+ years ago. Currently still only on the second one, so I'm probably good for mice until 2060-ish.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sweevo posted:

i stole six new "Wheel Mouse Optical 1.1A"'s from work 15+ years ago. Currently still only on the second one, so I'm probably good for mice until 2060-ish.
I was using an ancient one that was the first optical mouse I ever bought until a couple years ago too

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

when those get really old the rubber in the scroll wheel falls apart and gets sticky. this will 100% happen to the coating on all mx master mice in the future

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
the coating on the thumb grip rubs off pretty easily too. i surprisingly don't use my mx master very much (literally maybe 2-3 times a month for maybe 5 hours, if that) and it's all smooth now

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

the thumb button on gets stuck down as well, rendering the mouse useless unless you take it apart and disconnect it. happened to two of them I owned. still love the mouse though

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

cowboy beepboop posted:

the thumb button on gets stuck down as well, rendering the mouse useless unless you take it apart and disconnect it. happened to two of them I owned. still love the mouse though

https://rienkjanschurer.nl/there-is-a-design-flaw-in-the-logitech-mx-master-2s-the-good-news-you-can-fix-it-yourself/

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Azure somehow put some of our employees in a Preview flag state so they can't connect to their VMs. It offers some new RDP thing but complains that it then needs a public IP to connect (wtf). If I try to go to their accounts and opt out of feature previews they claim that there aren't any even though this new connection screen is titled "Connect (Preview)".

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I’d rather use the cheapest microsoft or logitech m+kb I can find than any of that apple poo poo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
apple products are overstylized but it's also weird to be so brand loyal to microsoft. get a kinesis

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

microsoft made good general purpose peripherals though. most apple stuff really only works well with other apple stuff, even if it is somewhat compatible

similarly logitech of course makes good peripherals for pretty much any platform. i can't think of another manufacturer that comes close actually (and that's kinda bad)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i've a friend who rocks a tragic macpad on windows, i truly do not understand him

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

a man of taste

..but really, does inertia scrolling even work on windows if you use a macpad or tragic mouse with the right drivers?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, the open sores trackpad drivers work pretty well. it's probably the best touchpad I've used on windows.

no idea about the apple mouse because lol lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i imagine the official driver is similar to the boot camp one for built-in trackpads. which is to say it's probably fine enough

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

it got a lot better recently, it used to be pretty terrible but they added precision touchpad support

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the last gen intel macbook air trackpad is hot garbage in windows. it somehow turns into laggy floaty bullshit if there's any amount of load on the system. this thing isn't a 486, i have no idea how you even do that on a modern computer

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Hed posted:

Azure somehow put some of our employees in a Preview flag state so they can't connect to their VMs. It offers some new RDP thing but complains that it then needs a public IP to connect (wtf). If I try to go to their accounts and opt out of feature previews they claim that there aren't any even though this new connection screen is titled "Connect (Preview)".

it will need a public ip because the service endpoints are publicly routable, if you are lucky ms offers a private endpoint you can deploy into your vpc or whatever azure calls that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

git apologist posted:

it will need a public ip because the service endpoints are publicly routable, if you are lucky ms offers a private endpoint you can deploy into your vpc or whatever azure calls that poo poo

idk but it was absolutely using the RFC 1918 address to RDP from last week. And now two people on my team have been opted into this. The rest of it can still RDP to 172.16.x.x or whatever through the portal's configured .rdp file and it works.