Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Holy poo poo I forgot how tedious the Terraforming questline is. Having to get in and out of my spacesuit multiple times in a massive area isnt endearing eurojank, Bernd, it straight up loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
all the quests loving suck tho

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sigh I set up a mining ship and it's full but nobody in that sector buys silicon so I have to fly back there and take command and drive it to a better sector like I should have done originally...

E: also I killed a criminal by a station and got dinged to -20 rep for it. harsh!

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 27, 2023

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Why not just order the mining ship to a better sector.

And yeah kuertes friendly fire tweak mod is basically necessary because in X4 one stray shot that bounces harmlessly off shields is a war declaration. Iirc in X3 we could comm to apologize.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
There's quite a few QOL mods that have been out for years and yet EgoSoft refuses to integrate them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Why not just order the mining ship to a better sector.

I didn't know I could, but I just figured it out!

I'll look for that mod, too, thanks!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Subjunctive posted:

E: also I killed a criminal by a station and got dinged to -20 rep for it. harsh!

firing at a car with friendlies as a backstop? with that sort of trigger discipline i assume you bought the cop license

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

It should be noted theres a difference between 'temporary negative rep' and negative rep. You actually don't lose much rep from shooting someone. You don't even lose that much from killing someone, even. But hostile actions do splat you with huge amounts of temporary negative rep that will go away in fairly short order if you vacate the premises.

If a stations negative rep is persisting for a very long time (seems to happen if you blow up a ship landing on a wharf, for example), shoot the station a few times and fly away again, the timer should reset to a normal period instead of Eternal Enmity.

Subjunctive posted:

Is there a better way to find a trade ware I need (in this case antimatter cells) than just exploring different sectors until I find a station that sells them?

Also, how can I tell what a mission requires in terms of delivered items once I’ve accepted it and flown away? I need to bring stuff to my little HQ but I forget what.

Nope. Although pay attention to the mining ships, IIRC Antimatter Cells are made directly from Hydrogen so if you find a gas collector mining Hydrogen follow it back to where its selling its goods.

For mission requirements, select the mission in the Mission Manager (shift-M), using Open Briefing if necessary. Most missions will show their requirements if you set them as Active as well.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 27, 2023

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I scanned a shipyard that was having problems building ships. Their biggest need was for advanced composites, as they had 0. I picked some up a few jumps away and went into the trade interface to sell them but... the shipyard wasn't buying any. Does this mean the shipyard has a full trade queued up elsewhere or is there something wrong going on here?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DaveKap posted:

I scanned a shipyard that was having problems building ships. Their biggest need was for advanced composites, as they had 0. I picked some up a few jumps away and went into the trade interface to sell them but... the shipyard wasn't buying any. Does this mean the shipyard has a full trade queued up elsewhere or is there something wrong going on here?

Could be wrong, but I think that might be because some L trader or two are en route with a load of the ware, IIRC. Since I don't THINK pending NPC trades are highlighted like for your own pending AI trades

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Holy poo poo I forgot how tedious the Terraforming questline is. Having to get in and out of my spacesuit multiple times in a massive area isnt endearing eurojank, Bernd, it straight up loving sucks.

This is why I love custom starts. never have to bother with these again after they're checked off once.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

quote:

Version: 6.00 HF 2 (498349) - 2023-04-27

Fixed Queen's Herald gamestart not being unlocked by default.
Fixed The High Road mission not being offered if Boron story is set to complete in Creative Custom gamestart.
Fixed Repair Ship disappearing in Terran Secret Service story.
Fixed Hatikvah Arms Delivery mission not proceeding when delivering ships during Boron Plot.
Fixed Menelaus' Reminiscence getting stuck in hazardous region at end of The High Road mission.
Fixed The High Road mission not accepting temporary player ship back if provided consumables were used.
Fixed Geometric Owl being trapped in wrong position in Torus during Torus Aeternal mission of Pioneer Terraforming story.
Fixed suitless Boron sometimes being client for various missions.
Fixed Friends in Low Places achievement not triggering.
Fixed wrecks in Sanctuary of Darkness being destroyed and not awarding achievement.
Fixed hull damage from "thunder" region in Sanctuary of Darkness.
Fixed selection of navigation beacons for HQ warping not working in some gamestarts.
Fixed excessive explosive asteroids being created over time.
Fixed missing population numbers in most Boron systems.
Fixed missing illegal wares for Boron faction.
Fixed rare case of game incorrectly being detected as "modified" when entering Jupiter system.
Fixed freeze when changing graphics settings with game installed on very fast drive.
Fixed missing voice lines for English, French and German.
Fixed screen going black towards end of loading certain savegames.
Fixed specific case of stuttering.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Nothing about the awful AI patching issues in the current patch though unless I'm blind.

Or ships randomly dying in SOD.

But that weirdly seems to be seed based as this game I've not lost a single ship, but 2 previous starts (I'm a serial restarter) I kept losing ships, I also had a lot more xenon in the last 2 starts interestingly

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I'd like to lament the fact that there aren't more faction specific station modules. I just put together a medium sized complex for making bofu and boron meds, and all of those production modules are boron specific so they look really cool and blend well with the station. None of the other production modules though look nearly as seamless. It's obviously a minor quibble but ~my immersion~

Also station building has never been easier. Still a bit quicky, but not like it was before the expansion.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 27, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

DaveKap posted:

They likely have a trade queued up. If you have all of the shipyard storage modules scanned you can tell for sure by looking at it on the map, going to information tab, and expanding the Storage info at the bottom - incoming but not fulfilled storage will be listed in green. Shipyards just don't dedicate a lot of space to Advanced Composites though, so especially shipyards without a lot of storage just aren't gonna have a lot of it. It would be easy for it to go from full to zero on a big enough order and from zero to full from a trade ship.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 27, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ice Fist posted:

I'd like to lament the fact that there aren't more faction specific station modules. I just put together a medium sized complex for making bofu and boron meds, and all of those production modules are boron specific so they look really cool and blend well with the station. None of the other production modules though look nearly as seamless. It's obviously a minor quibble but ~my immersion~

Also station building has never been easier. Still a bit quicky, but not like it was before the expansion.

It is a shame but it would also be a lot of modelling so I can sympathise.

I think I would also like sort of... XL versions of production modules? Rather than just building a dozen of a module it would be nice if we could just build one big one. Rebirth I think had neater looking station modules for a lot of things, bigger and more radical in design.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I still don't fully "get" station scanning. I fly all around the thing in scanning mode, but sometimes I don't get above like 60%. I installed a mod to make the scanned/unscanned difference more obvious but I still can't tell. Just hilarious skill issues on my part I assume, but still weird.

Can I upgrade a ship remotely, or do I need to fly to it?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Is there any benefit to scanning a station above 60% or whatever the breakpoint is to see the logical breakdown?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought at 100% you got to see more about its trades and such.

It occurs to me that I'm still in the starter ship because I haven't decided what else to get, but I should really get in something faster if I'm going to be scouring the universe for antimatter cells.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would say don't worry about scanning stations except for maybe ship production facilities, or if you're looking for a data leak to try and get a discount/mission.

For most stations you won't be trading personally so you just want either satellite coverage or a trade offer subscription to keep them on your AI traders list of possibilities.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I thought at 100% you got to see more about its trades and such.

It occurs to me that I'm still in the starter ship because I haven't decided what else to get, but I should really get in something faster if I'm going to be scouring the universe for antimatter cells.

For me, a scout with the best travel drive you can slap on it is basically a must have from the get go. The irukangi is pretty good for this, 10km/s at max speed. My last playthrough I basically lived in a rapier.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The irunkanji is very fast yeah, a lot of boron ships are pretty nippy in general, good acceleration and cruise speed with their engines.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Scouts are great utility ships, especially early. You move around fast and you can even do decent missions in them. Clearing mines and laser towers was how I earned enough to get my early miners and jump start passive income. The laser tower missions in particular the game kind of overvalues. They'll throw you like 750k-900k for shooting some of them and the stations will help you blast them.

Even once you get started, I have like 3-4 of them running around scouting stations and sectors and dropping resource probes and satellites if needed. Later game they're great for sending somewhere as a teleport destination.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

:siren: VRO has been updated :siren:
https://www.reddit.com/r/X4Foundations/comments/1314xdf/vro_40_released_nexus_only_for_now/
https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/305

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lol I literally went looking an hour ago.

Might have to install that and restart then!

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I'm glad to see Egosoft embracing the meme with the newly added encyclopedia entries for ships:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lmao, I do feel bad for whoever designed the old ones because the new E variants really are much nicer.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Right now my problem is that x4 makes my computer shut down randomly, which is really a problem with my PSU, but still impairing my search for antimatter cells.

I didn’t think of hiring other ships to explore. Can they do long-range scanning to find stuff? I’ve got the cash from early crystal luck (with the mod to allow repeated luck, to be sure) to grab a few more cheap ships and beginner pilots.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is an "explore" command which will cause the ship to, rather haphazardly, spiral out from the middle of a sector and try to uncover everything in it. It takes a long time but they do eventually get there and you don't need to think about it much. They can't use the long range scanner, just basic exploration.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Yeah the behavior of the explore command is baffling. But it does eventually work and I don't need to babysit it.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I usually just draw a spiral of move commands.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh there’s a Sector Explorer mod that someone in the thread recommended too, maybe that version of “explore” is better.

I have an M mining ship and I’m going to replace it with a L one that can defend itself properly, but I don’t know what to do with the old one. Can I sell it? Use it as a lame freighter?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It can only transport ores, or the "solid" category, which can only be acquired by mining, so it won't have much use as a freighter unless you set up your own station to deposit ores into.

If you select it in the map and right click a wharf you can sell it, which may be the best idea if you are having issues with it being attacked, rather than risking it getting blown up before it makes its money back.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I've heard a lot of conflicting things about VRO, most of it sounds good, but some people seem convinced it makes S and M ships mostly worthless trash and that only Ls and XLs matter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It makes L sized turrets and weapons vastly more powerful and longer ranged, and does lean a bit towards the X3 situation of having devastatingly powerful anti fighter weapons as an option for them. Although it does also make missiles a lot better too, I think, and specifically adds weapons to smaller craft designed to take out large ships.

Give it an install and start yourself a custom game with a bunch of cash and ships, try it out.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The big thing I heard is it increased the projectile velocity of most weapons significantly, meaning smaller ships can't really dodge and take damage a lot faster.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

newbie report 4: well I can't progress the Cur quest any farther due to a bug

i'm trying to steal blueprints with EMP bombs, and I've got 3/4 nodes scanned. but the model for the station is smaller than the invisible hitbox so I can't get within 5m to actually do the final scam. :smith:

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Is there a mod that lets me talk with faction reps through comms. It's a bit of a hassle flying all the way across the galaxy just so I can pick up that stupid blueprint i forgot to buy.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

tokenbrownguy posted:

newbie report 4: well I can't progress the Cur quest any farther due to a bug

i'm trying to steal blueprints with EMP bombs, and I've got 3/4 nodes scanned. but the model for the station is smaller than the invisible hitbox so I can't get within 5m to actually do the final scam. :smith:
The devs hosed up a lot of collision boxes with their physics engine change; if you post on their tech support forums they will definitely correct the model in question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

ughhhh posted:

Is there a mod that lets me talk with faction reps through comms. It's a bit of a hassle flying all the way across the galaxy just so I can pick up that stupid blueprint i forgot to buy.
I leave a cheap-rear end ship parked at a couple key leader's hangouts.