Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

infernal machines posted:

if you acknowledge it's no longer the 1990s re: consoles, you should probably acknowledge that it's no longer the 1990s wrt pc games too, for consistency's sake.

you no longer have to have a custom config.sys and autoexec.bat to make sure you have enough free memory to load your cd drivers and the game itself

generally true, though take a look at the video card update/mod juggling in the cyberpunk 2077 thread at the moment for a reminder of what it can still be like if you want to go there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

unless you're going out of your way to janitor your poo poo, everything just works today. install steam, double click game name. you might have the option of janitoring if you want to do stupid poo poo that isn't an option on a console, but nothing is stopping you from treating steam or windows store like a console. they just work for the most part

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i don't janitor my windows installs at all, and they tend to just work

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Midjack posted:

generally true, though take a look at the video card update/mod juggling in the cyberpunk 2077 thread at the moment for a reminder of what it can still be like if you want to go there.

does that game even run smoothly on consoles at this point?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lol Twitter

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
it's definitely not the case for all pc games, but there's a tolerance among some studios for publishing pc versions of AAA games that are horrendously, unplayably broken on release, and a willingness among some percentage of pc users to mod the hell out of games and perform random tinkering immediately after release to compensate

on consoles if a studio pulls that poo poo they'll fail cert, or in the case of cyberpunk specifically get forcibly unpublished

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

lol Twitter

what happened to twitter

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

did they get hacked finally, cuz my roommate who actually uses the twitter noticed their account has a bunch of logins from europe all of a sudden

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
PC is still way more fiddly about sound than consoles. The PS5 and switch does surround sound just fine. The PC needs some bullshit dolby stuff that works maybe 30% of the time.

Windows is also really bad about Bluetooth for some reason. It was good in win10 and they somehow hosed it all up in 11.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
switch to linux, they've spent thousands upon thousands of person-hours trying to get their sound to work so surely it must be pretty good now, right?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

MeruFM posted:

PC is still way more fiddly about sound than consoles. The PS5 and switch does surround sound just fine. The PC needs some bullshit dolby stuff that works maybe 30% of the time.

Windows is also really bad about Bluetooth for some reason. It was good in win10 and they somehow hosed it all up in 11.

these are fair points but the primary fiddliness now come from gpu stuff, and even that’s not too bad. games almost universally launch too soon but on pc you do have the ability to apply quick fixes. on the other hand, the wide distribution of configurations means sometimes you’re out of luck or stuck waiting - consoles at least get pretty consistent fixes. trade offs everywhere

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

nudgenudgetilt posted:

unless you're going out of your way to janitor your poo poo, everything just works today. install steam, double click game name. you might have the option of janitoring if you want to do stupid poo poo that isn't an option on a console, but nothing is stopping you from treating steam or windows store like a console. they just work for the most part

i see someone has never played the nier: automata PC port

most games "just work" but the ones that don't don't work hard

you also still get poo poo from PC-first studios where Midnight Suns works better if you edit steam to run the game directly instead of going through the 2K launcher

Jabor posted:

switch to linux, they've spent thousands upon thousands of person-hours trying to get their sound to work so surely it must be pretty good now, right?

unironically dealing with audio poo poo on Linux is better for me than Windows at this point. switching from PulseAudio to Pipewire took nothing other than a package install and caused literally zero problems. i can even still use my PulseAudio mixer app

Windows, by comparison, is some awful hodgepodge of its entire history of audio stack going back to god knows when. sometimes, OS tools are a (usless) metro app! sometimes it's a win7 app! switching which audio device an app uses is an app-level setting (that may not exist) instead of something built into the mixer! low latency DAW audio requires 3rd-party drivers and breaks audio for all other apps sometimes until you run the (buried deep with the control panel) troubleshooting app, with no clear explanation why!

the ALSA/OSS issues from long ago were indeed stupid, but basically predate when i started using Linux, in like loving 2005. i barely had problems with it then. i assume the only reason i didn't have trouble with Windows audio then was because i didn't do anything fancy like "use more than output device". Apple captured the professional audio market back then for a reason

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Enderzero posted:

these are fair points but the primary fiddliness now come from gpu stuff, and even that’s not too bad. games almost universally launch too soon but on pc you do have the ability to apply quick fixes. on the other hand, the wide distribution of configurations means sometimes you’re out of luck or stuck waiting - consoles at least get pretty consistent fixes. trade offs everywhere

i've never had issues with GPUs since the geforce 8800 days, but i also just buy the most popular one

i think the nitpicking of specific bad PC releases presumes consoles just work fine, when in fact they don't and you just can't do anything about it. Even amazing games like BoTW become a 10-20fps shitshow a lot of the time. Not much discussion about it except maybe in reviews because it is what it is.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Achmed Jones posted:

oh excuse me console commands and video settings in the game and also in the video driver and feature blocklists and...same crap, whatever

for real though i bet if people stick to gamepass stuff and similar it just works basically as well as console. the real difference is "playing games as a hobby" vs "caring about how you play games as a hobby." the thing is, if you're doing the former, it makes little sense to mess with computers unless the games you like are from genres not available on consoles. which i think basically means 4x, mmo, and rts though i'm probably missing some. i never got the people freaking out about controllers pace rsi, either. the situation was different many years ago when it was way cheaper to be a computer gamer but that's long gone now i think

but i mean there are also homelab enthusiasts. i don't understand them but i'm not gonna begrudge them their hobbies. though i will hyperbolically call them cannibals or whatever, why not

i mostly play games that aren’t available on consoles. now what?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fart simpson posted:

instead of playing those, you could try playing the games that are available on consoles

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'll probably upgrade to a 4070 when they drop a bit (which if they way over produced inventory for might happen soon ish) but then again I have a 1070ti right now so I'm pretty out of date

I will squander that power though. mainly I just want to get ray tracing in elden ring before I replay it

there is zero point in me upgrading my CPU though. Just none at all, so I guess RIP intel on that one.

also aren't intel wasting a bunch of money trying to make GPUs again?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

yeah, i think it makes sense to try though. it doesn't seem possible that data center gpu's are long-term so hard to make that it motivates nvidia being worth 5.5x what intel is

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
frc dead, condolences to rotor for the momentary inconvenience monday

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, i think it makes sense to try though. it doesn't seem possible that data center gpu's are long-term so hard to make that it motivates nvidia being worth 5.5x what intel is
It's intel so they'll pour a ton of money into it for a couple of years, try to sell a ton of gpus at a loss (which will probably just end up on ebay), and then cancel it. Then, wait a few more years and repeat

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

MeruFM posted:

cat reading a newspaper jpg

"I think we should rewrite our Bluetooth stack"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shame Boy posted:

what happened to twitter

where ya been the last year

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I'll probably upgrade to a 4070 when they drop a bit (which if they way over produced inventory for might happen soon ish) but then again I have a 1070ti right now so I'm pretty out of date

I will squander that power though. mainly I just want to get ray tracing in elden ring before I replay it

there is zero point in me upgrading my CPU though. Just none at all, so I guess RIP intel on that one.

I bought a 4070 a week ago from microcenter cuz it came with a $100 steam card

Intel gpus are on the low end right now (<$300) and don't have all the bells and whistles software wise of the other 2 yet and have some underbaked drivers but they are competitive with amd lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

It's intel so they'll pour a ton of money into it for a couple of years, try to sell a ton of gpus at a loss (which will probably just end up on ebay), and then cancel it. Then, wait a few more years and repeat

yeah, very much one of those where the real hurdle is intel not pulling their usual poo poo. but good signs on that front is that they're doing extremely vanilla architectures and software stacks this time, so they might just have learned something.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
one kind of interesting thing is because we pushed display sizes so far, streaming is at a weird point. everybody who wants to stream gaming online DEMANDS 4k60 quality, which is really, really hard to do on the average american's internet connection, and i can't help but think that it's pretty demanding on even a ps5 generation's power. it's a loooot of pixels and bits per second. i stream 1440p60 and have tuned the poo poo out of things and still can't do it with less than about 25mbps bitrate, and i've got a separate streaming pc

its to the point that i got a really nice capture card on fire sale because nobody buys them any more, simply because the best it can do is 1440p60 or 4k30

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Jonny 290 posted:

one kind of interesting thing is because we pushed display sizes so far, streaming is at a weird point. everybody who wants to stream gaming online DEMANDS 4k60 quality, which is really, really hard to do on the average american's internet connection, and i can't help but think that it's pretty demanding on even a ps5 generation's power. it's a loooot of pixels and bits per second. i stream 1440p60 and have tuned the poo poo out of things and still can't do it with less than about 25mbps bitrate, and i've got a separate streaming pc

its to the point that i got a really nice capture card on fire sale because nobody buys them any more, simply because the best it can do is 1440p60 or 4k30

Game streaming won't be viable for the majority of people until there are massive upgrades to north america's internet infrastructure

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Improbable Lobster posted:

Game streaming won't be viable for the majority of people until there are massive upgrades to north america's internet infrastructure

this depends on your tv and your gameplay. 1080p60 for non-fps games is probably accessible by anyone who can watch netflix

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

fart simpson posted:

pc gaming is an achmed-approved choice for you! i ran out of stickers for your case but feel free to make one yourself!

anyone else looking to get the achmed seal of approval please post your use-cases itt

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

instead of playing those, you could try playing the games that are available on consoles

this is also a good strategy though

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I play PC games on a big graphics card with my girlfriend

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Soylent Pudding posted:

gross, cooties

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Soylent Pudding posted:

hope you got a support bracket on that, lest it buckle under the weight

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

When you say "stream gaming online" do you mean twitch streaming your own games or using a cloud gaming service? Since you mention capture cards I would assume the former unless you're talking about two separate things but it seems like some of the responses may have assumed the latter meaning.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah streaming on twitch or yt live or w/e. i dont know anything about this RDP to an aws instance running codblops or w/e

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Midjack posted:

the whole thing there is you can gently caress around with that poo poo if you want, it's there, and you can get up to your nuts editing buried settings to do all manner of poo poo

otoh, if you don't, the game will also run just fine with the settings it sets by default when you first run it, and you don't need to change anything at all to just play the game. the fact that almost obscene customization is possible doesn't necessitate it.

but, also, when you see people complaining about the game not running well, there's a decent chance they've gone and changed the settings from the autoconfigured defaults, and it turns out their hardware doesn't actually run those well.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mystes posted:

apparently they sold the DoE a new supercomputer that will use intel GPU's instead of nvidia ones so that'll be funny

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

mediaphage posted:

this depends on your tv and your gameplay. 1080p60 for non-fps games is probably accessible by anyone who can watch netflix

it also depends on how much tolerance for latency you have.

how soon we forget stadia and onlive

e: i was thinking gameplay streaming, not game video streaming lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shame Boy posted:

apparently they sold the DoE a new supercomputer that will use intel GPU's instead of nvidia ones so that'll be funny

matrox is now using intel gpus

yes, that matrox. they still exist

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I always went console over pc because if the game didn't perform well I knew it wasn't my problem, but on pc it might be and I'd always wonder.

That and computers cost way more.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i use a pc for games because we had a pc when i was a kid, but didn't have consoles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Truman Peyote posted:

i use a pc for games because we had a pc when i was a kid, but didn't have consoles

same i guess. i'm very bad at games with a controller.