Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
1080p media is fine
100mbit internet connection is fine
1440p logical desktop resolution is perfect dimension-wise but a 2880p physical resolution would be much better sharpness-wise.

if you go beyond those thresholds does it make things better? kinda yeah but it's very much a case of diminishing returns.

high refresh rate is pretty tight though ngl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my parents would not buy us a device just for playing games, so i had to figure out gaming by myself on our old mac ii with floppies i got from the older kid down the street. i have still never owned a game console

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

my parents would not buy us a device just for playing games, so i had to figure out gaming by myself on our old mac ii with floppies i got from the older kid down the street. i have still never owned a game console
This is a very sagebrushy post indeed

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

my parents bought us a NES but refused to buy games so we only had mario/duck hunt and just rented games on weekends.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well i guess at the time it was a pretty new mac ii.

they did buy me a few games but only nonviolent ones. the first full game i ever had was simcity 2000 :shobon:

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I wouldn't take a job where they wouldn't give me a 4K monitor for programming

I don't think it's at all necessary for gaming though. I'm happy "different resolution for UI and rendering" seems to be coming over from consoles, at least

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
fractional scaling? you disgust me

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nrook posted:

I wouldn't take a job where they wouldn't give me a 4K monitor for programming

No problem, here is your $149 Magnetbox "4k" HDTV

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
KKKK brand monitor

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Achmed Jones posted:

pc gaming is an achmed-approved choice for you! i ran out of stickers for your case but feel free to make one yourself!

anyone else looking to get the achmed seal of approval please post your use-cases itt

thanks 🙏

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:toot:
On April 30, 1993, the European research organization known as CERN released Tim Berners-Lee’s code for the World Wide Web into the public domain. The internet has many components but this innovation was critical, establishing an information sharing-and-retrieval system that enabled the websites we still use today.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
a date that will live in infamy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I love the future. Computers are so smart and efficient

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sagebrush posted:

I love the future. Computers are so smart and efficient

Wow 300 dollars off

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

polyester concept posted:

my parents bought us a NES but refused to buy games so we only had mario/duck hunt and just rented games on weekends.

same but also tetris

didnt own another console myself until og giant xbox

and then at some point in the lifespan of the xbone I stopped upgrading my computers for games

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Chris Knight posted:

:toot:
On April 30, 1993, the European research organization known as CERN released Tim Berners-Lee’s code for the World Wide Web into the public domain. The internet has many components but this innovation was critical, establishing an information sharing-and-retrieval system that enabled the websites we still use today.

A momentous day in the history of Posting

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

The Fool posted:

and then at some point in the lifespan of the xbone I stopped upgrading my computers for games

basically same. i had an xbox360 and a gaming computer. then ms jones bought me a ps4. then a few years later, my pc poo poo the bed and video cards were too expensive cause of bitcoin nonsense so i rebuilt it as a media server and it turns out i'm not missing anything. then i got a switch, and then a ps5 and yeah ive got all the stuff i want

except starfield

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

except starfield

I get starfield, for "free" even

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if i had foreseen the future i probably would've got an xbox

oh well no regrets

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
https://twitter.com/realsexycyborg/status/1652534284216049665?s=46&t=8g1SJ87BoVmp86tfUCXz2A

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

is it actually bad or bad in the same way 5g and vaccines are bad?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i heard a commercial for xfinity 10g, I bet that’s like 5 times worse than 5g

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

it's bad in that it sprays your exhalations around you with great force

also bad in that it works to convert a collective responsibility (pollution and clean air) into a personal luxury product

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I think the actual issue is it probably doesn’t work.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

sigh. nobody wants to work any more.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Eeyo posted:

i heard a commercial for xfinity 10g, I bet that’s like 5 times worse than 5g

fun fact 10g isn't even a branding trick for a mobile network, it's what they're calling their 10gb fiber service. i got curious and looked it up and lolled/lmaoed

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

hailthefish posted:

it's bad in that it sprays your exhalations around you with great force

also bad in that it works to convert a collective responsibility (pollution and clean air) into a personal luxury product

:covidtree:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

sigh. nobody wants to work any more.

smdh

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaggar posted:

yeah i’m skeptical it’s that good but in that respect i’m open-minded, if they have enough throughput it could work fine for individual users

naomi’s big issue with it is that they announced and positioned it earlier during covid as a covid safe solution and it literally turns anyone with a virus into a bio weapon lol

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i mean they've been doing that with the air dryers for at least a decade

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

those dyson urinals i keep seeing are just the worst.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

MeruFM posted:

i mean they've been doing that with the air dryers for at least a decade

they’re theoretically less bad since they have a large stationary filter to hepa through; the bad air dryers from them were the ones that made you stick your hands between two side pieces like playing operation and you couldn’t avoid touching.

the new ones which just spray your hands down on your pants are a little better in that regard lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
you know what was pretty great? hand towels

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

mediaphage posted:

yeah i’m skeptical it’s that good but in that respect i’m open-minded, if they have enough throughput it could work fine for individual users

their website doesn't mention anything about covid or viruses, so the answer is probably "it does very little"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mediaphage posted:

they’re theoretically less bad since they have a large stationary filter to hepa through; the bad air dryers from them were the ones that made you stick your hands between two side pieces like playing operation and you couldn’t avoid touching.

the new ones which just spray your hands down on your pants are a little better in that regard lol

except for being obnoxiously loud, i'd almost take a gas powered leaf blower over a bank of three of those fuckers in a small room that's 100% hard surfaces

infernal machines posted:

you know what was pretty great? hand towels

agreed

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i like it when there's a proper bathroom servant who hands you a fresh warm towel, yeah

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

i like it when there's a proper bathroom servant who hands you a fresh warm towel, yeah

not big on staffed shitters (or domestic servants in general) but a pile of towels in a warmer cabinet is pretty good.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BMan posted:

their website doesn't mention anything about covid or viruses, so the answer is probably "it does very little"

i mean i think it can probably handle any pollution as fine as any tiny hepa filter. but also lol enjoy having comparatively large fans pointed directly at your face forever.

i’m surprised we haven’t seen more movement on paprs tbh

as for bathrooms i also miss towels. idk if it’s still the case but in lots of public bathrooms in france there was always a dude with a selection of like towels and mouthwash and poo poo and kept the rooms clean and you would give them a euro or something just for using the bathroom. they seemed to make a fair amount but idk if that’s still a thing

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Mr. Nice! posted:

those dyson urinals i keep seeing are just the worst.

they're nearly as messy as the standing sinks a lot of places install nearby. don't even get me started on those terrible bars of soap, either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

mediaphage posted:

the bad air dryers from them were the ones that made you stick your hands between two side pieces like playing operation and you couldn’t avoid touching.

I’ve never touched the sides of those and they work pretty great at drying my hands :smugbert: