Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

fknlo posted:

Hope I don't have to do that to mine...

It’s pretty common, but at least the interlock bypass is only a 20-30 minute job including the seat removal.

You do have tiny child-like hands, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Imperador do Brasil posted:

No padding…honestly it wasn’t that uncomfortable resting my lumbar area on the square rail, but the extraction procedure was interesting.

Arch back, shuffle feet over from the roll hoop to the door opening and then slowly down to the floor so as to avoid sudden jerking drops (you just had a total hip replacement, remember), and sorta crab yourself out from under the steering wheel like a cirque du soleil acrobat. Emerge triumphant.

Pesky things like “spine” and “head” really get in the way, but it was a total of maybe 25 minutes including seat removal/replacement and vacuuming the carpet while I had the seat out.

I was too lazy to go into the workshop to take a look at where the rail was on the S2k in there, I was going from memory. The one in an NB Miata is in entirely the worst place if you have to do anything under the dash :'(

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Fitted a dashboard

Then added a windscreen and a bonnet (which i will respray later)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Hit some random piece of bullshit on the road and smashed my grill on my EP3, which is discontinued so my choices were either order an insanely overpriced used OEM grill ($250-350) or a generic black mesh one for $50. So I went off the cheaper one and I’ll try to transfer my emblems over.

I did manage to super glue the remaining tabs back onto the original grill but I’m down to 5/8 tabs and the big H was missing when I got home anyway.

Grill just pulled off by hand.

Ten minutes later the bumper is off. Just awaiting the new grill.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Fuckin

Soft-rear end third-party keys. It's the only key it came with. Of course we didn't have any in stock so it's stuck in one of my tech's bays until a new one comes in tomorrow afternoon. I would've grabbed the wheel dollies and brought it outside but the windows were stuck down and it's gonna rain tonight. I brought it in to do a head gasket leak test. The good news is that the only coolant leak is a tiny one from the thermostat.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rule #1 of any used car purchase: make multiple copies of the key if unchipped, or at least one if chipped. If the dealer can still cut one from the VIN, get a couple of those too.

...... and gently caress smart key fobs, mine is already acting up (random "key not in car" messages while driving) and the car only came with one. :sigh: Dorman apparently lists a DIY kit that comes with the OBD2 magic and a new fob, but it's been OOS for ages.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Primary vehicle is at the dealer for warranty work, so had been driving my backup (2011 Fusion). Only to have it breakdown as well. Transmission cooler lines busted and started spraying fluid everywhere... They where nothing but rust. Good design; the lines are covered with a panel that collects road grime, so the metal lines get to sit in a stew of salt during the winter.

Also, gently caress "quick" connects. The transmission side has quick connect style fittings.. Broke 3 quick connect tools trying to get the old ones off.

New part

This was a bitch to get in.

The bucket was kind of pointless. The aero panel covering the lines had about a quart of fluid just laying in it. It also got into the cooling fan which sprayed it everywhere. The entire engine bay is coated in transmission fluid. Even found some in the air filter.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
They're called quick connects not quick disconnects for a reason, the factory doesn't give a gently caress about us.

The ATF everywhere should slow the rust down at least.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
spent forever replacing the water pump and timing belt, hampered by a bunch of rusty bolts and poo poo.

new timing belt on. start the car and after a couple seconds the timing belt now has a slice taken out of it. Maybe I put something back wrong. I dunno.

Taking everything back apart, it's going smoothly and now a brand
new
idler pulley with a brand
new
nut is stuck and nothing, NOTHING is moving it

this is insane and if I could afford it I'd just smash this loving car

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
okay freakout over.
I have acquired an air hammer
YOU'RE MINE NOW SON

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fornax Disaster posted:

Axle swap! I’m going to be sore tomorrow.

Improvised substitute for a slide hammer - bolt an old brake drum on it backwards and give it a good yank.

68 Olds Cutlass. Limited slip Pontiac axle I put in it needs a rebuild so I’ve switched back to my original one.

Cool! Reminds me I have an Olds 8.5” limited slip carrier. I need to see what gears it can take, and if I have the correct axle housing for it, since there were apparently a couple.

Sarah Cenia posted:

okay freakout over.
I have acquired an air hammer
YOU'RE MINE NOW SON

IT BEGINS.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
An odd bit of trivia about this car is that since it’s Canadian built it never had an Olds type axle. It was built with a Chevrolet 12 bolt C-clip axle. That’s what I have swapped back in.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Darchangel posted:

IT BEGINS.

eh I cancelled the order.
before leaving, I realized that it's the idler pulley for the air conditioner belt, so I just snipped the belt. AC doesn't work anyway, so why not?
Lol.

still kinda want an air hammer though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
nine loving hours of hell to replace a turbo.

https://i.imgur.com/w503UKg.mp4

counter:
One unoiled oil filter gasket permawelding the filter to the engine, thanks Ford.
One broken M6x60 bolt on the plastic intake facilitating removing the upper, lower, and swearing all in one go.
One broken ccv (pcv) hose that would be home in something German.
One loose hoseclamp on the turbo inlet boot.
Two of three Vband clamps oriented wrong, because they took the cab off, adding one hour of hell. The easy one was of course, loose.
Two of the four turbo pedestal bolts were loose.
928,203,617,941 cuts, bruises, and abrasions.

Minor turbo debris in the CAC. No other contamination. Turbo feed screen was nice and clean.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

STR posted:

Rule #1 of any used car purchase: make multiple copies of the key if unchipped, or at least one if chipped. If the dealer can still cut one from the VIN, get a couple of those too

... thanks for this post getting my rear end in gear and getting another key for my e39. Feels a bit scary not having more than one key.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yikes, I really should fix this on my car as well.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
The first timing belt got a slice taken out of it because I accidentally set this stupid washer/belt retainer thing with the lip facing inward and not outward.

protip: don't mix weed and timing belt jobs

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Ahhh timing belts. gently caress that noise.
Last year a mouse built a nest in the timing belt of my sequoia and caused it to jump time. Didn't break anything, but it's about a 7hr job and i was really pissed.
The thing was only parked for 3 days, too.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

New eBay grille to replace the smashed OEM one. I’d rather have emblems but for 1/4 the $ of a used part, I’ll take it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

e: nvm

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 23, 2023

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

We recently moved a lot closer to my shop so a lot more car work has been getting done lately.

MY WIFE did wiper blades, an interior detail, and the first oil change on her Ecoboost Mustang with no issues, very proud to see that.

I installed a 3D printed double din adapter (shoutout r/3dprintmything) for my Volvo 760 Turbo and a $40 CarPlay head unit and charged the Fiero’s battery. I also started removing the 24 year old clearbra from the Grand Voyager I need to get sold. Last week I installed a dipstick and auto start/stop system setting rememberer thing in the new Q5, scheduled tint and clearbra, and have been staring at a set of tuxmats in my office.

This coming week will hopefully be more work on the spun-bearing Subaru that’s been hogging the lift for far too long. It’s easy to ignore a project when you can leave it up in the air and sort of out of sight. Doing oil changes on the ground sucks. Also hoping to get the old Q5 posted for sale and maybe even tidy up the Fiero enough to bring home and drive, and if I’m feeling really adventurous the BMW and Miata will get a bath.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

New eBay grille to replace the smashed OEM one. I’d rather have emblems but for 1/4 the $ of a used part, I’ll take it.

Yeah I feel the same way, I bought an aftermarket grille for my V70 and ended up carefully grinding clearance for a factory badge that I attached with wire and zip ties.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 23, 2023

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

I was bolting the dipstick tube back onto this coolant pipe that attaches to the engine when the flange that the bolt threads into just snapped off and now it won't hold coolant lol

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Sarah Cenia posted:

I was bolting the dipstick tube back onto this coolant pipe that attaches to the engine when the flange that the bolt threads into just snapped off and now it won't hold coolant lol

JB Weld that shiznit, son.

This is not advice. Proper repairs are always best.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Sarah Cenia posted:

that's one of those where you just laaauuuuughhhhh

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mr-Spain posted:

that's one of those where you just laaauuuuughhhhh

Or embed a wrench in a nearby wall.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Knocked out three oil changes in 60-ish minutes. S2000, EP3, and FiST.

S2000 is the easiest of the bunch. Nothing in the way.

FiST was pretty standard.

EP3 I always just take the RF wheel off for filter access. Technically it’s accessible from the top, but not easy with the strut bar in the way.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sarah Cenia posted:

Even over something so simple, i would probably cry.

Setting the idle air on the Lincoln, this is what i came up with to actually get onto the idle air screws which are surrounded by spark plug wires and vaccum hoses and a hot rear end intake manifold.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Sarah Cenia posted:

Did you use a bolt that was too long? It appears there's a mark in the head? from this (circled in red).
Also, is that a crack circled in blue?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

RIP Paul Walker posted:

$40 CarPlay head unit

Hold up.
There seems to be a zero missing here.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Darchangel posted:

Hold up.

Amazon has no name 2dins units here for 70€ so 40 bucks isn't impossible.
https://www.amazon.it/X-REAKO-Autoradio-Bluetooth-telecamera-posteriore/dp/B07QV88WPP/

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I’ve put a $60 airplay unit in a couple of vehicles and they are more than fine. From Amazon

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Hold up.

I actually overstated the price: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BKW2RV1J?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

It’s pretty poo poo but it’s also perfectly functional enough. Perfectly in line with the car it’s in.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I think my optima or my starter is dying. Gotta sort that out. Went to the first fun night. Finally got a little wrinkle, but struggling.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Replaced a cracked intake boot (only to find that other one is cracked as well) as well as the spark plugs on my E39. My wife tended to the surface rust on the tail gate in the meanwhile. I found plenty of oil in the spark plug wells / on the plugs... so that's a valve cover gasket that's needed next I guess. Are there any must do while in there jobs that I should tacke when the valve cover is off? The car has done 190kkm.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

It was an arts & crafts weekend.
Broke out the xylene & toluene free paint pens to correct an oversight on Falken tires part.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

$25 Walmart Bluetooth radio in the Acty. The OEM Clarion unit was just “there”, and all the wires were just hanging out in the breeze.

The Acty only has one factory speaker, in the passenger door. I may or may not throw a pair of cheap poo poo Walmart speakers in so I have two.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

McTinkerson posted:

It was an arts & crafts weekend.
Broke out the xylene & toluene free paint pens to correct an oversight on Falken tires part.

As god intended. Good work.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I actually overstated the price: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BKW2RV1J?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

It’s pretty poo poo but it’s also perfectly functional enough. Perfectly in line with the car it’s in.

I actually see $40 units in the related/recommended. I'm stunned. May have to slap one in my RX-7. Horribly "not period", but...
Probably not, though. I want one of those single-DIN units that looks like a Becker Mexico or something, but still has BT. I'll just use the phone for as much as I'll be driving that thing. Assuming it drives at some point.

edit:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

As god intended. Good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I’ve actually put this one in some kei vans and it was fine. By fine I mean it played the radio fine and I was able to play Spotify over Bluetooth through the tiny factory speakers. I only paid about $15 for mine tho but it was 2 years ago or so when I got them