Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When I first came to sa the thread was a bit intimidating due to its size and how much posting was going on. So I get it. I’m glad I took the plunge though, it’s my favorite thread and I try and spread its love as much as I can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

I say we get it to 2222 at least.

If man is still alive...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izQB2-Kmiic

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I basically make the same posts again and again so it should be easy for any newcomers to keep up.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

I basically make the same posts again and again so it should be easy for any newcomers to keep up.

same

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Except Kvlt!, who only refreshes the page when his rusted Winnebago makes it to the next small rural town where he's terrorizing a group of college kids on Spring Break.

not far off from my real job tbh but no job could ever keep me from shitposting

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 3, 2023

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kvlt! posted:

the technical aspect makes sense, but socially its just gonna be the same people posting the same stuff in a new thread no?

Probably yeah. But there’s probably a psychological difference when you look at a thread you haven’t read that has 3 pages vs one that has 300.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

horror franchises do reboots to shake things up and un-gently caress their continuity and history all the time; are we really honoring horrors legacy if the thread about it doesn't do the same?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Only a few more iterations of this thread until it goes to outer space!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

is David Gordon Green going to reboot this thread next

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

That doesn’t really happen anymore. Feels like Jason X was too awesome and killed that trend. It’s all about Legacy sequels now. We need everyone from the first version of the thread to comeback and help out a bunch of zoomers.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i started posting itt when i was 14 and im 25 now

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

horror franchises do reboots to shake things up and un-gently caress their continuity and history all the time; are we really honoring horrors legacy if the thread about it doesn't do the same?

Cinema Discusso › The Horror Thread: IN SPACE

e:

FreudianSlippers posted:

Only a few more iterations of this thread until it goes to outer space!

gently caress!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bride of the Horror Thread
Son of the Horror Thread
Ghost of the Horror Thread

The Horror Thread has risen from the grave (obviously)

The Horror Thread: THE NEXT GENERATION
The Horror Thread: THE RETURN
The Horror Threads: THE MARSUPIALS

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Horror Thread Reanimated Revolution Revitalized Redux III: Ecks vs. Sever

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Just alternate between The Horror Thread and Horror Thread

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

hoower thred

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Horror Thread X: It also means ten!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

in my defense i grew up a Red Sox fan in Boston and didnt recognize the NY yankees logo was an N and a Y combined and not just some strange symbol they made up until i was like 13 so honestly im impressed my 2 brain cells rubbed together enough to realize Jason X meant ten too and not just a cool title lol

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
currently in talks with Daniel Day Lewis to play me in the reboot

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I preferred the older, grittier, thread.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

It happens to me all the time where I'll be posting about a particular movie and it occurs to me that I've definitely made some form of this same post at least a few times before. But then I think, eh it's been literally 15 years of posting so gently caress it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I think rebooting after the May challenge would be the thing to do. We could get a new intro etc.. the thread is 4 1/2 years old which I think means its time to reboot.

Unless people want to reboot it when it hits 5 years.

The Horror Thread in 3D

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

gey muckle mowser posted:

currently in talks with Daniel Day Lewis to play me in the reboot

I'd pay good money to see a documentary on him doing the method acting research to play a shitposter.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Renfeld was pretty good. Not great. Really flat script but of course Cage elevates it. It otherwise needed another punch up both for story and humor.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I guess if we're rebooting it we'll have to have rubbish cgi blood this time

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Watched Black Mountain Side, kind of a reverse The Thing in that it takes place in the frozen North. Archeologists discover a ruin that might be from the Clovis people only it's at least 4000 miles north of where it should be. Then things get Weird.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

STAC Goat posted:

Probably yeah. But there’s probably a psychological difference when you look at a thread you haven’t read that has 3 pages vs one that has 300.

otoh royalty is a continuous :justpost:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi! The Most Terrifying Movie in History is a ride. I'm not even disappointed that the series has kind of gone from genuinely creepy to just outright bonkers.

Also love how genuinely funny it can be My manager told me this was a variety show! Did not see the ending coming, though of course the last remaining character who has to save the day in a found footage flick has to be the camera guy

This series is so fun. I really hope someday Arrow or screamfactory or someone picks up the rights for a box set

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Is Dark Song any good

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

Is Dark Song any good

Very slow, but very atmospheric and builds up to a batshit finish that I loved.

Definitely not for everyone though. I say "batshit" finish, but a lot of people found it anticlimactic

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If we do reboot the thread, I hope our IK is more of a Jason reboot type than a Freddy reboot type.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Kvlt! can only post as long as they write a brand new review of Rob Zombie's Munsters every time.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Kvlt! can only post as long as they write a brand new review of Rob Zombie's Munsters every time.

terms are acceptable

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
we should do staff picks again, I’m sure we have new recommendations since 2018 plus there are posters who weren’t around then

Alan Smithee posted:

Is Dark Song any good

I really enjoyed it, it’s a slow burn with a cool and original story. I do remember thinking the last act was a little weak, but only relative to how much I enjoyed the build up. It’s very solid overall.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Relevant Tangent posted:

Watched Black Mountain Side, kind of a reverse The Thing in that it takes place in the frozen North. Archeologists discover a ruin that might be from the Clovis people only it's at least 4000 miles north of where it should be. Then things get Weird.

I liked it enough to watch it twice! But I think they let the dear god talk too much. The first couple of scenes with him gave me legitimate chills, not so much when he's just right there in the room yapping.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Phy posted:

I liked it enough to watch it twice! But I think they let the dear god talk too much. The first couple of scenes with him gave me legitimate chills, not so much when he's just right there in the room yapping.

Entirely fair, the ending in general felt rushed to me. Took a long time for that bear trap to snap shut though.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK3oXkDfJkM

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://slusho.com/ The Slusho site is officially back online, a little over 7 months to the day after Cloverfield 2* was announced

*Direct sequel to the first one, and not filmed in found-footage format

Directed by Babak Anvari (Wounds)

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I'm just shocked that there are people who can't keep up with the thread, I just sorta assumed everyone here was a softboy computer toucher who refreshed the page a few times during their work day. Except Kvlt!, who only refreshes the page when his rusted Winnebago makes it to the next small rural town where he's terrorizing a group of college kids on Spring Break.

For the most part I aim to check on the thread twice a day on my computer. My smartphone's more for work stuff, texting my fiance, kindle books, and backup movie streaming watching. Sometimes when it's mad busy at work, I'll forget to check the thread for a few days, but'll try to catch up when I can.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
This is such a rare event, so I need to share it.

I actually had to turn off a movie tonight:
The Innocents.

I’d intended to watch it for the May marathon, but as a heads-up to everyone, not twenty minutes in there are multiple instances of a child abusing a (non-verbal) autistic sibling and then animal abuse (housecat). I couldn’t do it after that. Even my partner, who loves Takeshita Miike, wanted it off.

It puts me back in mind of one of Stephen King’s pro-horror arguments (I think it’s King in “Daring the Nightmare”?). The genre allows audiences escape from the real life evil in news, in the world.
Movie evil defies some natural law(s) or real-world rules and it’s contained on a screen. The viewer knows the movie cannot hurt them and so they can walk out with a smile.

I come back to horror because I love the fantasy and the nightmare control the screen can give. Hell, Troma can turn my stomach, but I can still see it’s so over the top to not take it 100% seriously.

But when the movie treads too close to realistic depictions of plausible evil, I can’t watch. It’s not fun, it’s not escape, it’s cruel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

r u talking about catharsis