Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

today, i saw someone injure themselves _severely_ in what i believe to be a similar situation, had to fill out an incident report with the gym as a witness and everything

nothing sucks the wind out of a workout like seeing someone leave with paramedics from doing a similar thing to you

be careful out there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what exercise?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Yikes that’s scary. I’m still nursing my right bicep after my deadlift mishap

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

echinopsis posted:

what exercise?

squats no more details than that

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I always feel safe doing squats because the safety bars are there.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i like goblin goblet squats they feel safer

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

I’ve been super into front squats these days

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

was able to close the 1.5 captains of crush gripper with my left hand after working on it for a while. right hand is way stronger right now because i was wearing my apple watch ultra way to loving tight and sleeping with it so i lost a bunch of strength in my left. going to work to try to even them out and get reps with 1.5 before moving on to trying for 2.

I'd like to eventually get to 3 280lbs of grip strength seems useful.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

good grip does make a lot of things easier yeah

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

cowboy beepboop posted:

i like goblin goblet squats they feel safer

every squat I do is a goblin squat

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

post hole digger posted:

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

post hole digger posted:

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

post hole digger posted:

yosfit 2023: every squat I do is a goblin squat

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

post hole digger posted:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

HamAdams posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Share Bear posted:

squats no more details than that

fuckkk

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
it is pretty hard to hurt yourself if you squat inside the power rack and don't try to make huge jumps in weight

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

it is pretty hard to hurt yourself if you squat inside the power rack and don't try to make huge jumps in weight

Eh when I get near my limit my form gets sloppy but I can still get the bar up… but at what cost

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
yeah true in fact i tweaked my calf a bit yesterday doing just that

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the take away is that this guy must have gotten royally hosed up

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

don’t make huge jumps with weight on your back either

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

akadajet posted:

make huge jumps with weight on your back

CrossFit for lyfe :cool:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

HamAdams posted:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

squats are the best exercise and i won't hear otherwise :mad:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

They really are, I don’t like doing them but I can’t deny it. Those and deadlifts

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

as a returning-beginning lifter who never really did compound free weight exercises before, i'm not sure i "get" deadlifts yet. like i can do the motion, i'm progressing in weight, i think my form is ok. but i don't feel any specific muscle activation? it's not like a squat where i really feel it in my legs. i definitely feel that i'm lifting something heavy, and i get tired from doing it and need to rest, but i'm almost more focused on my grip on the bar than i am on the muscles that are lifting the weight. that can't be right

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

as a returning-beginning lifter who never really did compound free weight exercises before, i'm not sure i "get" deadlifts yet. like i can do the motion, i'm progressing in weight, i think my form is ok. but i don't feel any specific muscle activation? it's not like a squat where i really feel it in my legs. i definitely feel that i'm lifting something heavy, and i get tired from doing it and need to rest, but i'm almost more focused on my grip on the bar than i am on the muscles that are lifting the weight. that can't be right

You might be severely limited by grip strength. That's what got me started on mixed grip (where you grip the bar with one of your palms facing away from you). That let me lift a lot more, but it's how I ended up hurting my bicep, so I've gone back to the normal grip.

With mixed grip I maxed out recently at 310 (which, coincidentally, is when I hurt my bicep), with normal grip I can barely do 245 before I feel like I can't grip the bar.

I don't really know how to increase that strength. Some people use wrist straps but I've never tried them. I can still really feel it in my lower back, hamstrings and lats when I do sets of 8, and I've gotten more into higher reps with less weight anyway, so I haven't felt the need to try straps. If you aren't feeling it in those muscle groups maybe try increasing reps or if you can get a trainer to make sure your form is ok.

When you get tired and need to rest, is it a cardio thing or what muscle group is giving out? Deadlifts work a ton of muscles and can be exhausting, so cardio might also be a factor. But anyway this long post is mainly to say: feeling like your hands are a limiting factor is normal

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

deadlifts make my lower back feel good

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i think it's a cardio thing. the stronglifts 5x5 program has you deadlift just 1x5 (after warmup sets), but at the end of the workout, where you've already done 5x5 squat and overhead press. no particular muscle failure, maybe because i'm only doing one work set. but yeah it could be that i'll feel it more once i overcome grip strength issues

e: mehdi the stronglifts guy recommends mixed grip too. i get his point, you can lift heavier, but idk man. if you have perfect form like him, with your arms locked completely through the movement, i guess it is ok? but i've been training normal deadlift grip and i'm hesitant to mess with that, especially if i'd be pushing my weight limit at the same time

DELETE CASCADE fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 3, 2023

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i think it's a cardio thing. the stronglifts 5x5 program has you deadlift just 1x5 (after warmup sets), but at the end of the workout, where you've already done 5x5 squat and overhead press. no particular muscle failure, maybe because i'm only doing one work set. but yeah it could be that i'll feel it more once i overcome grip strength issues

Oh yeah dang I never do deadlifts and squats on the same day, because I'm incredibly lazy.

But if you feel like mixing it up, maybe start with them one day to see how you feel, its hard to beat in terms of muscle groups hit

just look at this absolute unit, fully deadlifted and loving it

edit:

DELETE CASCADE posted:

e: mehdi the stronglifts guy recommends mixed grip too. i get his point, you can lift heavier, but idk man. if you have perfect form like him, with your arms locked completely through the movement, i guess it is ok? but i've been training normal deadlift grip and i'm hesitant to mess with that, especially if i'd be pushing my weight limit at the same time

That's how I thought too: I got away with it for so long I forgot about the warnings. Then I guess one day I forgot that the key was keeping your arms straight and I got sloppy. I didn't even feel anything during the lift itself, it was only after did I realize that flexing my arm at all hurt.

ADINSX fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 3, 2023

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

that mf is deadlifting over 500 lbs :eek:

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
i’m the socks and shoes on a man with no skin

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ADINSX posted:

You might be severely limited by grip strength. That's what got me started on mixed grip (where you grip the bar with one of your palms facing away from you). That let me lift a lot more, but it's how I ended up hurting my bicep, so I've gone back to the normal grip.

With mixed grip I maxed out recently at 310 (which, coincidentally, is when I hurt my bicep), with normal grip I can barely do 245 before I feel like I can't grip the bar.

I don't really know how to increase that strength. Some people use wrist straps but I've never tried them. I can still really feel it in my lower back, hamstrings and lats when I do sets of 8, and I've gotten more into higher reps with less weight anyway, so I haven't felt the need to try straps. If you aren't feeling it in those muscle groups maybe try increasing reps or if you can get a trainer to make sure your form is ok.

When you get tired and need to rest, is it a cardio thing or what muscle group is giving out? Deadlifts work a ton of muscles and can be exhausting, so cardio might also be a factor. But anyway this long post is mainly to say: feeling like your hands are a limiting factor is normal

also use chalk. you can get liquid chalk if you don’t want to make a mess in the gym

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

My new lifting belt came in. It's nice

got it here
https://generalleathercraft.com/

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

on a solid set of deadlifts i feel it in my stomach/core and lightly in my back and arms

on a solid set of squats i feel it in my thighs/butt/legs most then core, with stress on the shoulders but not from flexing (i have a giant callous across my shoulder blades since i do squats a lot)

i feel getting that stomach/core burn is indicative of your form being good

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

and mixed grip is fine but i like to do it both ways on the grip so i dont over exert one arm

so like add a set (or chop up the 1x5 into 2x3) and do one set left hand over right hand under, one set left hand under right hand over

doing more lighter deads also helps with grip, so in your warmup maybe do an extra set and hold for longer to get that additional grip stretching/strength in

but of course if youre just starting out make sure to double check with a video and poo poo that your form is right as well, as thats way more important

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

My secret shame is that right now all my heaviest deadlifts are currently done on a trap bar*. My grip is significantly stronger when I am able to keep my hands in a parallel grip position. When I'm deadlifting on a traditional bar I'm currently doing a hook grip, and I'm starting to wonder if my justifications for doing so aren't just thinly-veiled masochism.

* I will say, though, that walk-thru/open trap bars are so insanely convenient to load and unload.

akadajet posted:

also use chalk. you can get liquid chalk if you don’t want to make a mess in the gym

:hmmyes:

If you want to really be able to tell the difference, wait until you are starting to have grip trouble during a working set, and then apply chalk during the next set. Then you'll fully appreciate the magic...

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

just use straps

:confused:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

just use straps

:confused:

nobody listen to pickle rick over here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU