Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I love how moving text between Teams and any other MS application (or Teams' own Word/Excel/web view) fucks up the formatting in new and exciting ways. It's great to hunt for one lone line formatted with SegoeUI (?) font amid dozens of Calibri ones, sometimes it's easier because it shows up also as light blue on dark mode in Outlook and nobody has any clue why is that happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
wasn't MS supposed to launch a totally not electron, but edgeium+JS stack for Teams, that was like 50% faster, in march?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Hed posted:

wasn't MS supposed to launch a totally not electron, but edgeium+JS stack for Teams, that was like 50% faster, in march?

pretty sure they did, so you can now be on that, the electron one which does the same things more or less, or the other electron one which is slightly different and doesn't work with either of the first two

to keep things simple they are all called 'teams'

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Hed posted:

its in preview which you have to opt into at an org level. its maybe faster, but more importantly it doesnt turn itself off if you go idle for like 90 seconds

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
lol "edgeium" (pronounced ed-gee-yum)

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i overdosed on edgeium and now i can't bust

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
you should. it makes me feel good.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

laserghost posted:

I love how moving text between Teams and any other MS application (or Teams' own Word/Excel/web view) fucks up the formatting in new and exciting ways. It's great to hunt for one lone line formatted with SegoeUI (?) font amid dozens of Calibri ones, sometimes it's easier because it shows up also as light blue on dark mode in Outlook and nobody has any clue why is that happening

I’ve always used notepad as a buffer when pasting in to/out of/between office apps fucks up the formatting.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1651990245225771011

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Clark Nova posted:

I’ve always used notepad as a buffer when pasting in to/out of/between office apps fucks up the formatting.

there should be a windows sidebar that is just a history of your pastes and lets you toggle formatting on/off
hmm i should make one

hmm winkey + v kinda does this already

cowboy beepboop fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 3, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

cowboy beepboop posted:

there should be a windows sidebar that is just a history of your pastes and lets you toggle formatting on/off
hmm i should make one

hmm winkey + v kinda does this already

nah a toggle is unnecessary. but the shortcuts should be reversed imo. i.e., ctrl-shift-v should paste with formatting and ctrl-v should paste without rather than the other way around

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol
https://twitter.com/thomasgermain/status/1653372102051766273

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tbf apps changing settings programmatically and/or ui patterns where stuff pops up "let me just do x" over and over until you accidentally accept and they go "ok never asking again no take-backs" are a scourge.

as it happens edge loving loves doing that too, but i'll accept any limits even if inconsistently applied.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i used edge on windows 11 for the first time in like a year yesterday and there was a bing sidebar and a bunch of bullshit by default

i did not continue to use edge

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

tbf apps changing settings programmatically and/or ui patterns where stuff pops up "let me just do x" over and over until you accidentally accept and they go "ok never asking again no take-backs" are a scourge.

as it happens edge loving loves doing that too, but i'll accept any limits even if inconsistently applied.

i have a client for whom edge will assign itself the default PDF reader multiple times a day, some days. there's no clear reason why, and no matter what process is used to set the default back to acrobat, it will eventually reset back to edge. but only for this one user and no one else

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

i have a client for whom edge will assign itself the default PDF reader multiple times a day, some days. there's no clear reason why, and no matter what process is used to set the default back to acrobat, it will eventually reset back to edge. but only for this one user and no one else

it's doing your client a favor lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i mean, no, it isn't, because edge cannot open and render some of the pdfs they need to use

so in terms of "here we've reset you to a tool that literally cannot open your files for the fourth time today", it's actually quite bad

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

we'll have the worst of all worlds soon enough when acrobat replaces edge's pdf rendering engine

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

:hmmyes:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

we'll have the worst of all worlds soon enough when acrobat replaces edge's pdf rendering engine

pretty sure it uses the same javascript thing chrome and firefox do (pdfjs?) so it's already worse

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

pretty sure it uses the same javascript thing chrome and firefox do (pdfjs?) so it's already worse

it is getting replaced by adobes engine any time now is the thing. with ads for extra features i expect.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tbh i too care a fair bit about rendering accuracy for pdfs, so it is not a bad deal for me, but i expect it'll be obnoxious clunk for 99% of users

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I found the registry setting to turn off the stupid Bing button on the desktop version of edge, but I also use it on my phone and the most recent update replaced the new tab button in the bottom center with another loving Bing button and there's no registry hack for this one.

I have been a big fan of edge for a while, but it's looking like I may have to switch to Firefox again. I hope they fix their zooming problem.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

the firefox pdf engine is atrocious for capturing text from PDFs, especially if they've been OCR'd. copying and pasting out will result in random poo poo like words being treated as columns rather than paragraphs, completely scrambling the sentences

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

I found the registry setting to turn off the stupid Bing button on the desktop version of edge, but I also use it on my phone and the most recent update replaced the new tab button in the bottom center with another loving Bing button and there's no registry hack for this one.

I have been a big fan of edge for a while, but it's looking like I may have to switch to Firefox again. I hope they fix their zooming problem.

they did actually make the bing button a properly surfaced setting (and near as i can tell it was never a thing on edge ios, or did that sync?)

but, yeah, they're working real hard burning what good will i had, and im sure edge will manage to forget i turned it off any moment.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

yeah afaik neither the bing button nor the sidebar crap exist within ios edge

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

also its funny to me that there are "acceptable" rendering differences across pdf engines at all really. the whole point of the format is consistent output regardless of device

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

also its funny to me that there are "acceptable" rendering differences across pdf engines at all really. the whole point of the format is consistent output regardless of device

the pdfs are viewed adjacent to the web, and compared to web rendering even the most broken javascript pdf rendering is a marvel of consistency

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

adobe has patents on the correct way to do it so everyone who doesn't want to give them 9 figures in license fees has to do something slightly off spec

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/3/23709297/microsoft-edge-force-outlook-teams-web-links-open

quote:

Microsoft has now started notifying IT admins that it will force Outlook and Teams to ignore the default web browser on Windows and open links in Microsoft Edge instead.

Reddit users have posted messages from the Microsoft 365 admin center that reveal how Microsoft is going to roll out this change. “Web links from Azure Active Directory (AAD) accounts and Microsoft (MSA) accounts in the Outlook for Windows app will open in Microsoft Edge in a single view showing the opened link side-by-side with the email it came from,” reads a message to IT admins from Microsoft.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

as a user of microsft products, the thing i appreciate the most is every single motherfucking one of them tripping over themselves to tell me how i should use them, nearly every time i open them. just loving bukkake me with toasts and prompts and unskippable intro animations and dialogues after ever single point release update. never stop interrupting my workflow, please. there is nothing i love more than being forced to interrupt my train of thought to acknowledge that you've changed the product, again.

big fan of the after updates screen that is like "just setting up some stuff in the backend for you bucko", and after you get a "all done! enjoy sport! :)"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

AnimeIsTrash posted:

big fan of the after updates screen that is like "just setting up some stuff in the backend for you bucko", and after you get a "all done! enjoy sport! :)"

i hate that casual language poo poo they do. that's fine in, like, tik tok. i want my operating system to be fast. quiet, professional, and to get out of my loving way

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

edge is malware

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Last Chance posted:

edge is malware
its part of the windows operating system, so yeah

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i am janitoring a laptop i haven't used in a real long time and i apparently obliterated the EFI boot entry for windows (it doesn't show up at all in the bios menu)

so i've been booting it by typing in "fs0:\EFI\Boot\bootx64.efi" on startup every time, but that's getting annoying as poo poo. how do i add it back? afaict the recovery console isn't able to find anything wrong because it can boot successfully

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

i am janitoring a laptop i haven't used in a real long time and i apparently obliterated the EFI boot entry for windows (it doesn't show up at all in the bios menu)

so i've been booting it by typing in "fs0:\EFI\Boot\bootx64.efi" on startup every time, but that's getting annoying as poo poo. how do i add it back? afaict the recovery console isn't able to find anything wrong because it can boot successfully

use bootrec /rebuildbcd from the recovery environment or bcdedit if you have to manually create the entry

you probably have to fix the efi partition first though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

use bootrec /rebuildbcd from the recovery environment or bcdedit if you have to manually create the entry

you probably have to fix the efi partition first though

i'll try that thanks

gotta wait for the battery to run down i guess because it seems that wake from sleep just doesn't work on this thing either and i don't have my tools (at a hotel) lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

a perfect storm

but yeah, this has most of what you need https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-ca/000124331/how-to-repair-the-efi-bootloader-on-a-gpt-hdd-for-windows-7-8-8-1-and-10-on-your-dell-pc

there are some weird edge cases that require some additional poo poo to fix the partition but hopefully you're not one of those

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a perfect storm

but yeah, this has most of what you need https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-ca/000124331/how-to-repair-the-efi-bootloader-on-a-gpt-hdd-for-windows-7-8-8-1-and-10-on-your-dell-pc

there are some weird edge cases that require some additional poo poo to fix the partition but hopefully you're not one of those

yeah i honestly don't remember what i did to get rid of the entry. i think it might be because i had cloned the install to a larger ssd at some point

anyway i'll give it a shot thanks again. i have no idea how long it's gonna take for this thing to drain itself, it's an aliexpress celeron with a giant battery :ohdear: lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cold on a Cob posted:

i hate that casual language poo poo they do. that's fine in, like, tik tok. i want my operating system to be fast. quiet, professional, and to get out of my loving way

I agree it fukken sucks