Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

every discussion about how bad pip is always winds up with people telling on themselves like this :laugh:

its a scripting language that is only useful for cranking out a shitload of startup prototypes or gluing together systems written in real languages, if you find yourself running into puzzle-box-esque dependency graphs you should have rewritten the thing in a real language months ago.
gluing together systems written in real languages can involve fairly complicated dependency graphs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Been using pyenv, as it walks like virtualenvmanager and quacks like virtualenvmanger, but is clearly one of those duckburg hybrid things because it also manages python's language versions like nvm does for node.

Will try hatch, I'm only spinning up new repos every ~3 days at this point I can screw a couple of them up.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
a dependency solver which looks at your complete set of dependencies and picks a compatible set of versions is not a trivial thing to write

but it is a thing that's been written a bunch of times and it's sorta embarrassing for pip not to have it

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
it's funny that people are like "python packaging is so bad" and sure, it is, but like any time another scripting language has to package up and integrate with actually compiled languages, you're on your own, chumps

it's just i am tired of hearing from rubyists going "python is so bad" and it's like yes, sure, with ruby you can easily install 173 packages to add things like "sets" or "datetimes" or "loading json" which python already does out of the box, but as soon as you mention mini_portile/nokogiri to a rubyist they start mumbling and sweating

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

then you have loving conda where they were like "what if we shipped a shitload of packages that aren't related to python with every install"

loving kerberos is provided by conda by default

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
clojure works great w maven

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
poetry is a bit boneheaded in some areas, but has been the least of the evils I've had the fortune to sample. is hatch better?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
pip and venv work fine, i feel no need to switch to some third party bespoke bullshit. if you're writing python that complicated, stop writing python

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

DELETE CASCADE posted:

pip and venv work fine

no they do not

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
"explain how?" asks homer simpson

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I like how

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

a major problem with python is that the people writing lots of python have little to no interest in writing software, much less usable / maintainable / deployable / anythingable software. works on my machine is just fine for a grad student

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

“a major problem” is the wrong tone. a simple reality of? perhaps?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

python was designed for those people. they now work in "machine learning" and make 5x what you do

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Bloody posted:

I like how

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i do kinda miss how

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I’ve written complete shippable embedded Linux projects with the main applications running Python that have years-long uptime’s. Python is good.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

i cant think of a better strongly typed language that comes with a repl. its too good, so good that i cant justify switching off of it even though it completely sucks to install a pinned, isolated python version on thousands of servers, and then also install packages for it

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Strongly type-hinted?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
strong vs weak, dynamic vs static, do not have much to do w each other

c is weak, for example, and some peeps really do roll with void* for absolutely fuckin everything

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
goatc

what is that dev doing to their void*

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

strong vs weak, dynamic vs static, do not have much to do w each other

c is weak, for example, and some peeps really do roll with void* for absolutely fuckin everything

casting everything to void* is like that tiktok of someone putting all the toddler shape game blocks in the same square hole, and it's 100% how a lot of my c looks

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
casting everything to void * is what enlightenment did and then Samsung forked enlightenment to make Tizen so every object with TizenOS is a void *. Or it used to be, perhaps they cleaned it up over the years.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 4, 2023

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I have this hobby kernel project that (ab)uses void* and the anonymous struct member structs in -fms-extensions/-fplan9-extensions to implement inheritance in C for device drivers and it's equal parts beautiful and utterly horrifying

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

CPColin posted:

goatc

what is that dev doing to their void*

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

the first time I saw function pointer types in C, I thought someone was pulling my leg

it's the same feeling I got when I started writing templates for C++ and saw pages and pages of (at the time) incomprehensible gibberish for a single compile error

tooling has gotten a lot better since the 90s and I also like to think I understand things better

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Kazinsal posted:

I have this hobby kernel project that (ab)uses void* and the anonymous struct member structs in -fms-extensions/-fplan9-extensions to implement inheritance in C for device drivers and it's equal parts beautiful and utterly horrifying

that's just kernel for you

it's really not that bad, but kind of funny how it approaches being c-with-classes essentially

e: but yes it was a major shock the first time I saw it, though it really does help maintainability and modularity by letting you make fixed interfaces among other things

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 4, 2023

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

12 rats tied together posted:

i cant think of a better strongly typed language that comes with a repl.

java

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i don't touch python but i got about halfway through this thing on packaging and decided that not touching python was the correct decision

it doesn't even mention the actual correct way of dealing with python dependencies (docker)

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
i once managed to create a requirements.txt so hosed up it sent pip into an infinite loop ama

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

RokosCockatrice posted:

Been using pyenv, as it walks like virtualenvmanager and quacks like virtualenvmanger, but is clearly one of those duckburg hybrid things because it also manages python's language versions like nvm does for node.

Will try hatch, I'm only spinning up new repos every ~3 days at this point I can screw a couple of them up.

let me know how it goes i am curious what other people think

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

redleader posted:

i don't touch python but i got about halfway through this thing on packaging and decided that not touching python was the correct decision

it doesn't even mention the actual correct way of dealing with python dependencies (docker)

python is extremely fine and needs suiting for a lot of small to midsized projects where you are constrained by network calls for performance (or apparently in embedded stuff too per other replies)

i like it because it makes cranking decent stuff out easy (comparatively to java which is what i use for bigger things that have to be faster) and it pays my bills. i dont really care about the whole no-true-scotsman-thats-not-real-software poo poo

this is very “works on my machine” but it is worth trying out for prototyping imo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

python is extremely needs-suiting for inhouse utilities, stuff like i used to use perl for. loving around with pdfs, doing stuff with csvs, etc, basically the step between shell and full java/c-lang. iterating the problem is fast & you can just pip install whatever into system idgaf.

idk that i would choose it for a greenfield project that touches the outside world, but thats really because i dont like greenfield projects

otoh our current main apps are php/javascript, and i would absolutely choose python over those. especially if it meant just static hidden forms and no dynamic poo poo at all

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
there is no such thing as a prototype

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Sapozhnik posted:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sapozhnik posted:

as long as you never show it to anyone its ok. but yeah if someone sees it, it goes into production and theres nothing you can do about it

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Carthag Tuek posted:

python is extremely needs-suiting for inhouse utilities, stuff like i used to use perl for. loving around with pdfs, doing stuff with csvs, etc, basically the step between shell and full java/c-lang. iterating the problem is fast & you can just pip install whatever into system idgaf.

idk that i would choose it for a greenfield project that touches the outside world, but thats really because i dont like greenfield projects

otoh our current main apps are php/javascript, and i would absolutely choose python over those. especially if it meant just static hidden forms and no dynamic poo poo at all

Django is one of the most popular web frameworks on earth and is used with such small websites as “YouTube” and “Reddit.” It may be safe to say that Python is needs suiting for large projects as well.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

FlapYoJacks posted:

Django is one of the most popular web frameworks on earth and is used with such small websites as “YouTube” and “Reddit.” It may be safe to say that Python is needs suiting for large projects as well.

they are bad website brant

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
youtube has been materially rewritten and so had reddit. and reddit had disgusting perf and uptime problems for decades, almost all attributable to their eav db schema

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

had?