Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Gotta teleport the HQ to the sector with the planet in it.

Ohhh, drat! Looks like I've actually gotta finish the teleportation techs then, after all these years...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You also need shipbuilding capability, because it actually works by building drones in the HQ and launching them at the planet.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

You also need shipbuilding capability, because it actually works by building drones in the HQ and launching them at the planet.

Oh, so I need a ship fab bay (S/M I take it? Hopefully not L/XL...) directly attached to the PHQ, then? Rather than in a separate station, sectors away. OK then, that should be manageable enough

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes, s/m I think and it has to be on the HQ.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Given the resource cost alone for jumping your PHQ (once you've done the research), you're really going to want to develop it's production capability and stowage capacity. The wares your PHQ will ship planetside will be in the millions of units, almost all of which you will have to produce yourself because the local economies are not up to the task in any reasonable time frame. The Boron Project requires something like 6 million units of Ice, that you'll have to mine outside of the Provinces Adrift because there's none locally. There's plenty of ice further into Boron space but L freighters don't handle Sanctuary of Darkness all that well ( except maybe the Teladi ones thanks to extra shield hardpoints ) so you'll have mining ops out of Wretched Skies X and Morning Star IV that you'll have to schlepp to Ocean of Fantasy. You also need around 14M units of plankton.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Wait - ice, not water? Hmm, that complicates matters... Either way, it's on the backburner for now. I guess I should get the research done (since then I can get the training facility for marines, etc. right? I've always forgotten to unlock that) and then sort the rest out later. Definitely gonna need a plankton farm though, to slowly build up numbers for the big project.

Also, regarding people and food requirements... if you happen to recall, do people need food on a regular basis (e.g. 100 people consume X amount of food+meds per hour) or do they only consume food as they work and produce goods?
So like, could I get a big habitat on my PHQ in advance and leave the people there without money or food - just growing in numbers, while I get ready for the project? Or would they be a constant drain on my food supplies?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

The man power amount is adjusted by the supply of food/medicine you provide on a per cycle basis. So you can't "stock" manpower by building more habitats. Or at least I think that's how it works. You can see the amount of change in manpower for the next cycle under the logistics view of stations. I believe each cycle is 15mins? You can build the habitats and it won't consume resources unless you can provide it through buying or producing it.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Major Isoor posted:

Also, regarding people and food requirements... if you happen to recall, do people need food on a regular basis (e.g. 100 people consume X amount of food+meds per hour) or do they only consume food as they work and produce goods?
So like, could I get a big habitat on my PHQ in advance and leave the people there without money or food - just growing in numbers, while I get ready for the project? Or would they be a constant drain on my food supplies?
I generally just add food production to my larger factories. One water production, one wheat, one meat, one spice, one food producer and a couple medical supply modules. Covers the immediate station and the excess can feed a neighbouring high value factory, just got to make sure you're matching your food production to your habitat ( Split Parlours don't flourish on Terran MREs ). No food or meds in station means no growth which means no peeps to make free goods from nothing, so you habitats will just stay empty unless you import foodstuffs from other stations. Habitats start empty, you get some folks start appearing depending on the population of the sector ( higher population sectors will generate more folks per tick - very low population sectors like Asteroid belt will still generate workers but at a much slower rate than somewhere like Argon Prime ) and they'll stick around if there are provisions, and bugger off if there's not enough. Sector ownership doesn't seem to matter, I have no issues maintaining Argon workers in Split space ( ignoring the canonical reasons ). I'm not necessarily aiming for max output, my Claytronics factory might get maximum bonus output if I'm housing 11k people, but that's a lot of habitats I've got to build, and increased food production again just to keep them onboard, and I'm currently using most of my claytronics to build more claytronics factories so I can overhaul my PHQ in prep for Terraforming.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

I seem to have not set my blacklisted sectors correctly and now have my multiverse save in this position where my Erlking is in the middle Vigor sector dying to an onslaught of 18 fighters because I had it background trading Terran goods and for some reason it decided to cross Vigor space. I have a handful of fighters within two sectors but no fleet of substance. And I don't have my own fab up and running, nor do I have all the BPs, so it's using a handful of turrets.

Barring coming up with a creative way to save it, can you replace the Erlking if it goes down?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
If the Erlking dies, you get to research the core and rebuild it. You can only have one at a time though.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Speaking of the Erlking I sent one out of sector alone to a Kha'ak hive (just right click, Attack) and took a shower and... it wrecked it with zero problems.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

ZombyDog posted:

L freighters don't handle Sanctuary of Darkness all that well

I have ~25 Sturgeon L freighters making the trip between towering waves and great reef and they handle SoD no problem.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah that sector seems real hit or miss for people, I've never lost an M or L trader through there but some people post logs of losing a ton of them. Cool idea to add but as usual, kinda poo poo implementation. It'd be nice if the highway just made all travel through there safe behind the scenes.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
LOL speaking of which:

quote:

Update 6.00 HF 3
Fixed signal leaks never appearing in Terran Pests mission of Pioneer Terraforming story for some people.
Fixed some (not all) cases of deployables colliding with deploying object on launch.
Fixed ships frequently flying through damaging regions in Sanctuary of Darkness.
Fixed wrong lines being spoken for several French voice lines.
Fixed incorrect file cleanup when downloading Steam Workshop extensions on Linux.
Fixed excessive UI performance loss in various situations.
Fixed game not starting on some Windows 7 systems.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The autopilot has occasionally just decided to fly from gate to gate in a straight line, wonder what causes the variance.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I get the autopilot just shrugging and disengaging a fair bit even when the route looks simple, or going into a trance and going right past the objective at travel speed until I intervene. Pathfinding seems like a pretty solved problem for a game of this type so I’m surprised, but it’s not hard to work around so whatever.

I got an EMP and stole a blueprint for silicon refinery, and then immediately started trying to design a station. I was still in my spacesuit so I eventually ran out of oxygen and got a game over, losing everything I’d put together. Ah, me.

I got caught with something naughty in my inventory (that means the personal items and not the cargo, or probably both?) and got a temporary -32 penalty with Argon but it went away before it affected anything.

This game is so big.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Subjunctive posted:

I got an EMP and stole a blueprint for silicon refinery, and then immediately started trying to design a station. I was still in my spacesuit so I eventually ran out of oxygen and got a game over, losing everything I’d put together. Ah, me.

lol I did the exact same thing this playthrough. I had completely forgotten you can run out of oxygen.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Don't forget you can hit pause while doing stuff like station design :)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Less Fat Luke posted:

Don't forget you can hit pause while doing stuff like station design :)

Yeah, my keyboard doesn't have a Pause key so I will have to fix up my keymap to add one.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, my keyboard doesn't have a Pause key so I will have to fix up my keymap to add one.

It should be P by default....

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yeah that sector seems real hit or miss for people, I've never lost an M or L trader through there but some people post logs of losing a ton of them. Cool idea to add but as usual, kinda poo poo implementation. It'd be nice if the highway just made all travel through there safe behind the scenes.

What about if you place a bunch of nav beacons marking a safe route? I haven't bothered using them myself, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading someone here posting ages ago, that your AI pilots attempt to follow them, if there are nav beacons between where they are and where they need to go

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Are flak turrets more likely to cause friendly fire incidents than other turrets?

I keep seeing suggestions they are good for capitals, but I don't wanna end up in dumb situations where I get into friendly fire messes every time I roll a destroyer into a fight.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They do area damage but I don't think they actually have proximity detonation, so it's sort of moot.

The main issue with friendly fire is your turrets happily spraying across an arc trying to hit a fighter and instead hitting every large object behind it. I think there are mods that change that counting as FF though.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

They do area damage but I don't think they actually have proximity detonation, so it's sort of moot.

The main issue with friendly fire is your turrets happily spraying across an arc trying to hit a fighter and instead hitting every large object behind it. I think there are mods that change that counting as FF though.

The FF mod requires you to have some script extender thing installed. And I'm too lazy these days to bother doing all that when steam workshop/drag and drop to extensions folder exists.

I've never had any FF incidents and I always have flaks on my capitals M turrets.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 5, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It can generally be avoided as long as you are not fighting close to stations or allied capital ships, but if you do want to do that then you will often end up annoying them.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Major Isoor posted:

What about if you place a bunch of nav beacons marking a safe route? I haven't bothered using them myself, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading someone here posting ages ago, that your AI pilots attempt to follow them, if there are nav beacons between where they are and where they need to go

The issue for me and the L traders I lost in SoD was the AI pilots missing the gates and going way off course then blowing up. Very well shielded L transports can survive the trip but I lost a few Sonra Sentinels who decided hit the Kingdom end side of the system and rather than go through the gate, try to travel the vast interstellar gulf between the two sectors. I've not checked how the hotfix has changed things, I've been relying on S and M haulers to supply stations in Kindom End.

On the Flak question, all flak all the time. To be fair, I'm generally not running capital operations around other factions ships or stations, but even in situations where I'm running gate camps on highly popular routes it's not been a noticeable issue where I've lost faction standings.

Fun thing to note, if you want the Borons to get involved past their space, claim Heretic's End for yourself then disassemble your Administration building. You get a cute message from an Argon industrialist and then neighbouring powers will try to claim the system.

In my case RHA, FRF and Argon are all eating dirt so the Boron claimed it first and started spreading into Wretched Skies. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have sided with the Curbs, Zyarth might have actually put up a fight because the Boron aren't interested in shooting up the RHA and FRF stations in system, and the Xenon are taking their goddamned time in purging the sector.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 5, 2023

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Welp they're doing it, the Boron have now opened up on the FRF in Wretched Skies V and I've cleared the way for them to advance to Family Zhin after purging the Xenon that had purged the Split from those sectors. Eastern Split Space is a mess and it looks like after taking a couple of systems the Xenon are taking a bit of a break, Tharka's Ravine is actually looking busy since I've amped up my trade in the area and opened up my shipyards to them - The Curbs still don't have a capital shipyard themselves, and I expect the Dragons, Cobras and Chimeras I've sold them to melt the moment the Xenon sends a K their way ( I'm sitting on 4bil in the bank, I'm not worried about the fact I'm not making money selling them ships, it does mean my Commonwealth factories have something to do while I'm building more Asgards ).

Officially this is the longest I've stuck with a single game of X4, normally my interest wanes by the time I start building serious industry, but the fact that by starting a new game I'll lose all my Venture progress is enough to keep me invested.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 5, 2023

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I highly recommend doing a HOP only start with the custom start. Set your faction loyalities the same as they have and only trade/support with them and Teladi/Segaris. It's a fun challenge because you are severely limited on Helium for example until you steal some from the paranids.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Any of you know if the sub-sectors of a system (E.g.: Grand Exchange made up of GE I, GE III, and GE IV) count as a single sector for the purposes of traders and manager's max jumps?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Sauer posted:

Any of you know if the sub-sectors of a system (E.g.: Grand Exchange made up of GE I, GE III, and GE IV) count as a single sector for the purposes of traders and manager's max jumps?

they do count as a single sector, i see my local autominers hopping between all the GE sectors regularly

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

ZombyDog posted:

Fun thing to note, if you want the Borons to get involved past their space, claim Heretic's End for yourself then disassemble your Administration building. You get a cute message from an Argon industrialist and then neighbouring powers will try to claim the system.

Good tip, gonna try this. Want the Borons to start moving outward.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Mad Wack posted:

they do count as a single sector, i see my local autominers hopping between all the GE sectors regularly

Excellent. Thank you very much!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

ZombyDog posted:

Officially this is the longest I've stuck with a single game of X4, normally my interest wanes by the time I start building serious industry, but the fact that by starting a new game I'll lose all my Venture progress is enough to keep me invested.

Wait, ventures are back in, again? I thought that was still a little way off! Does it still only require that venture teleporter module, or have the requirements changed? drat, I've gotta jump back into ventures either way...

Also, seeing as someone here asked me for screenshots of my non-Avarice-based salvage megacomplex a while ago, here they are! (Apologies for the delay)

Here's the "solar wall" side of it. You can see two sets of pier+docking pads - one poking through the middle, the other off to the right.

The opposite side, showing the power-hog recycler modules, storage and habitats.

And this one gives a better view of the actual processing+recycling facilities

Currently I have 13 (down from 15) Manticores, plus two Teutas out breaking ships down to feed the furnaces. It's all a bit over the top, but hey, it gets the job done!

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 5, 2023

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Words can't describe how much nicer the Station building is in this game compared to X4. It was a nightmare to build a big complex in that one.

Some stuff I built after they changed the station builder to allow free rotation:

The hexagon, a trading station.

A megacomplex where I just rotated every segment by the minimum allowed for the next row.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
cs_surf_x4

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Major Isoor posted:

Wait, ventures are back in, again? I thought that was still a little way off! Does it still only require that venture teleporter module, or have the requirements changed? drat, I've gotta jump back into ventures either way...

Ventures are in open beta ( https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=203&t=453665 ), you need to have an Egosoft forums account that's linked to your game in Steam, you'll need to install the Ventures beta patch ( password IBackedUpMyOfflineSaves ), enable the Ventures extension, reload the client and it'll download the extension. Then you need to play a vanilla game ( that means no mods, custom player logos seem fine but that's it ), build the venture dock and away you go. You'll be asked to join a coalition, then a team ( you can just join a random team ), and then you'll be offered a bunch of different Venture missions that'll help progress the team and improve your chances in succeeding the final operation mission that grants resources for the Team ( and presumably coalition ). At the end of the operation you'll get shiny new S Fighter ( Yasur ) that you can use in any of your games along with some skins. You'll have to deal with Visitors in your space, ones from the rival coalition will occasionally shoot up some of your ships and there's been some issues with folks getting criminally flagged if they or one of their patrols shoot first and losing faction standings with the Sector's owner, you'll also have ships from your coalition appear as well, and there's an issue where they'll be flagged as being -20 relation to you. You'll have some missions that that'll have you engage rival coalition ships ( which can be educational depending how the other player has equipped their ship ) which you'll need to do to get resources to complete some of the higher end ventures.

Oooh I just saw this in the FAQ

quote:

As mentioned in the build up to the 6.00 release, we are looking into signing a selection of popular quality-of-life mods, so that activating these won't flag your game as "modified" any longer, and thus would give you access to Multiverse Team Seasons. This, however, is an ongoing process, and we will update you on it as decisions are made.
I'll be curious to see what mods get signed.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
They had a huge survey on steam etc a few months ago about how many mods you use, which ones and why. I guess this was the reason

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

FrickenMoron posted:

A megacomplex where I just rotated every segment by the minimum allowed for the next row.
The swirly nature of Boron storage facilities has me making big DNA chains in space. It's nice.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I wish the station designer was less clunky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wilderthanmild posted:

I wish the station designer was less clunky

yes please! if nothing else, let me expand the plot as part of making the design, and reorder modules for building