Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

EDIT: SNIPED, UPDATE ON LAST PAGE, GO READ IT

I can't believe the LP has only just started. Can't wait to see the True versions of all routes!

On a serious note, I guess what Mouse is trying to say is that nobody actually saw Amadeus after Horse left? And that's assuming Horse did see him.

Also the statue was hollow so it absolutely hid something inside. Can't tell if it was Rooster or Bowen or someone else cause the details are mixing me up. Could Rooster have gone from the bathroom to storage? Did Snake unknowingly bring the corpse i to the office? Who got the corpse into the safe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011
These moppets really went for a death game reunion and got roped straight onto a zodiac retrial :psyboom:

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

:cripes:

please tell me one of you had the foresight to stick a GPS tracker up your butt before coming to this stupid reunion

oh who am I kidding, the only one with any sense was removed by U.N. Owen for this iteration

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

You're telling me. This game is a RIDE.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

dervival posted:

:cripes:

please tell me one of you had the foresight to stick a GPS tracker up your butt before coming to this stupid reunion

oh who am I kidding, the only one with any sense was removed by U.N. Owen for this iteration

Okay but Rooster would totally stick a tracker up his butt.

Also wasn't expecting an actual death for a 'true(?)' route.

(By the by, what were the actual unlock conditions for this route? Get every good ending? Get the Aces ending?)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

On a serious note, I guess what Mouse is trying to say is that nobody actually saw Amadeus after Horse left? And that's assuming Horse did see him.

Also the statue was hollow so it absolutely hid something inside. Can't tell if it was Rooster or Bowen or someone else cause the details are mixing me up. Could Rooster have gone from the bathroom to storage? Did Snake unknowingly bring the corpse i to the office? Who got the corpse into the safe?

Honestly, all 4 of Snake, Rooster, Sheep and Tiger could conceivably have done it but there's one that clearly stands out.

Rooster, Snake and Sheep were all alone in the office at some point. It's definitely implied that Snake could have brought the body into the room inside the statue, but it would have been suspicious if he'd spent a long time in the room and his account is that he was so annoyed that he left quickly so I doubt he's that involved. Given his military training, I think it's possible for him to have jumped the ledge from the storeroom but unlikely given Mouse's testimony. I also doubt Rooster could make the jump and from the description, it doesn't sound like Rooster had enough time to do much of anything in the office. It's plausible that Horse set everything up or that Snake carried the body into the room inside the statue and he just swapped out the laptop and maybe quickly stuffed the body into the safe but that would be ridiculously risky with Sheep right outside the door and able to look inside at any point. He also entered after the time of death so you'd need some real bullshit for it to be him. Sheep could likewise have freely manipulated the scene after Snake and Rooster had left with the murder being carried out at some point beforehand. Tiger couldn't have seen her at this point. But she couldn't have entered the office around the time of death to actually do it herself so it would have to be a collaboration with someone else.

Tiger on the other hand was alone for a long period of time and could easily have gone into the office from the ledge, murdered Bowen, and then moved back into the waiting room without anyone seeing her. The hole that Dog is probably referring to is the idea that Snake and Tiger give each other alibi's. In truth, Tiger could have seen Snake enter the office through the door or the window behind her but Snake couldn't see Tiger enter through the window. She has no alibi. And she's Roosters alibi for a long time too. If they're collaborating they could easily have done it together, no tricks involved.

Also she clearly just shot Dog in the head. So that too.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 4, 2023

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

ApplesandOranges posted:

(By the by, what were the actual unlock conditions for this route? Get every good ending? Get the Aces ending?)

no unlock conditions, it starts immediately after you get the "ending" for Aces

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Okay, this I did not see coming. It's audacious and I love it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
:stonk:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Something got moved into that statue, and it was put there after sheep wheeled it off. I can't see that being irrelevant, especially since snake only said the weight was off when he grabbed it to wheel it in.

Dogs dying message was the number three. This was Tiger's slot in the race. There was the implication earlier in the game that tiger had been paid to kill, this might have been that. Or that could have been bullshit since that was all in our main perp's mind.

Personally my theory is that this is a full on orient express incident and that everyone there that day was in on it. I have zero evidence to support this, it's just fun to believe.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Dog hosting games nights and recapping the obvious with Mouse, Dragon, and Snake. (Boring...)
Case recap interrupted by a sudden shotgunning and trial redo. (Now, you have my attention!)

Loud music again? That tracks with Rooster. It could also be that he was behind Bowen's death.

EDIT: 3 is Tiger if we count from Mouse -> Ox -> Tiger, but 3 is Rooster if we go the other way. Pig -> Dog -> Rooster.
Tiger could be the one Dog signaled 3 for, and she technically could also be behind Bowen's death.

NeoRonTheNeuron fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 4, 2023

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

His stated motive for killing people in his route is that they were part of the blackmail conspiracy, which, uh, was kinda headed by our dead guy. Him being there is a little suspicious in that light. Also he's an actor that is good at playing a part and hiding his true feelings through an act.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
:psyduck:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I feel pretty confident Morris was telling the truth about there being a recorded message on the laptop, which means he never interacted with the real Bowen and Bowen was probably already dead at that point. Or at least out of the way.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

Dog hosting games nights and recapping the obvious with Mouse, Dragon, and Snake. (Boring...)
Case recap interrupted by a sudden shotgunning and trial redo. (Now, you have my attention!)

Loud music again? That tracks with Rooster. It could also be that he was behind Bowen's death.

EDIT: 3 is Tiger if we count from Mouse -> Ox -> Tiger, but 3 is Rooster if we go the other way. Pig -> Dog -> Rooster.
Tiger could be the one Dog signaled 3 for, and she technically could also be behind Bowen's death.

Could also be Monkey. 3: Three Monkey Statue, holding his mouth: the Speak No Evil monkey.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

malkav11 posted:

I feel pretty confident Morris was telling the truth about there being a recorded message on the laptop, which means he never interacted with the real Bowen and Bowen was probably already dead at that point. Or at least out of the way.
How about forensics was right and there was no recorded message on the laptop, but Morris did hear a recorded message from something else that got cleaned up by one of the later visiters?

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Cloacamazing! posted:

Could also be Monkey. 3: Three Monkey Statue, holding his mouth: the Speak No Evil monkey.

Yeah, and three fingers are sort of an M shape.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Hahaha, amazing. And it must be run by one of the original contestants since it specified Mouse and not Rat.

While the big thing Mouse is thinking of could well be that Tiger could theoretically have entered the room without being seen, I think it's simpler than that: Oliver Bowen had reason to have his brother killed, and seemed very concerned with the missing knife (presumably where Amadeus kept the blackmail info, just like Oliver), and had blackmail over a great number of people. The case is blown wide open if you simply assume that you can't trust the coroner's report of when he died, leaving for the possibility that Horse did it earlier (and Sheep lied about seeing him because she doesn't want to be a suspect), or Tiger did it after Snake left. Or even that more than one person was in on it--a lot of people had reason to want him dead, probably everyone present in the game except Mouse.

Speaking of Oliver, wonder if he's going to be the new Dog.

Edit: Wait, the actual thing Mouse is pointing to is probably that Tiger's eyesight sucks, and at best could have identified that someone went in, but definitely couldn't see any details about who she was seeing or what was happening.

ZCKaiser fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 4, 2023

pizzabutt
Jul 19, 2022
Does Mouse know about Tiger's bad eyesight in this route? She only really figured it out in Tiger's route and I'm sure Dog didn't give them any access to the internet or anything so they wouldn't call for help.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

pizzabutt posted:

Does Mouse know about Tiger's bad eyesight in this route? She only really figured it out in Tiger's route and I'm sure Dog didn't give them any access to the internet or anything so they wouldn't call for help.

I don't think so, which is why she doesn't mention it. I suspect it's more to point the player, who likely does know, in that direction. There are multiple things that could be at play, but if there's a "point out one thing wrong with this setup" challenge at some point it's going to be that. What's interesting is that if that's the only thing that's off, then it pretty much had to be Snake, who otherwise claims to have had eyes on the office door the entire time save for when he was retrieving his sculpture.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Except with all the events around the end of the death game, the people/person behind it have shown through their actions that they don't want the truth to come out. Why then was snake one of the people they were aiming to kill? Killing him only draws light towards the truth by making people ask why he was killer, and he's shown no intent to speak out about whatever happened. That conversation was all driven by mouse and dog.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Tiger's eyesight is bad but I don't think it's that bad that she couldn't point out a guy around Snake's build and height who just so happened to be in the building when she was and was also providing witness testimony. And she would at the very least notice someone entering the office, and she would be able to name the timeframe which would ruin Snake's alibi.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

FoolyCharged posted:

Except with all the events around the end of the death game, the people/person behind it have shown through their actions that they don't want the truth to come out. Why then was snake one of the people they were aiming to kill? Killing him only draws light towards the truth by making people ask why he was killer, and he's shown no intent to speak out about whatever happened. That conversation was all driven by mouse and dog.

If they didn't want the truth to come out, then why host the death game in the first place? We know that it is very likely that Brian was dead before the game started from Dog's testimony (the Jade Emperor not knowing certain things, no response to the knock on the door, the door opening causing an explosion, etc.). But we also know that Brian was part of the preparation and abductions due to Dog's testimony and that he had help in setting it up. Brian had the motive to host the game to punish those involved with covering up the truth, but if he was already dead, then what exactly was the point and what are his co-conspirators trying to pull? Even stranger, one of the goals of the game appears to have been to kill Mouse, Snake, and Dragon, and yet the person who killed Dog (and whom presumably both Dog and Mouse know) chose not to kill those three when they were currently considered missing persons.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

You're assuming it was Brian that did the abductions and that it wasn't someone else that had killed him and then seen an opportunity in his plan. If Brian is dead and at the scene with it largely playing out by his designs, that's what the public will see as the incident, not a third party using his plan to explicitly attempt to murder three people.

Brian is still dead despite dog stopping mouse from triggering kaboom. He was likely dead the whole time.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 4, 2023

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Tiger's eyesight is bad but I don't think it's that bad that she couldn't point out a guy around Snake's build and height who just so happened to be in the building when she was and was also providing witness testimony. And she would at the very least notice someone entering the office, and she would be able to name the timeframe which would ruin Snake's alibi.

Yeah, I don't see how the eyesight thing could be that relevant. Her eyesight isn't so bad that she couldn't see someone enter the office through the door. Even if it was a case of her mistaking one person for another, only two people entered the office during the time of death: Snake and Aaron. Aaron was notably wearing a big overcoat that may have obfuscated his features but both of them entered the room while Sheep was manning the desk. Even if Tiger couldn't, Sheep would be able to confirm their identity.

Also in her breakdown, she mentions finding a knocked-out security guard. I'd bet that was Rooster when he "went to the toilet" and was actually deleting the security footage. Snake couldn't actually see if he really went into the toilet or not. He could easily have followed Sheep down the stairs instead.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 4, 2023

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Nobody really has an alibi. Nobody saw our stiff before he was dead. There's reason to believe, but no proof that the body was moved into the room in Snake's statue after being killed elsewhere. This would make snake or sheep a possible conspirator for removing him from the statue and into the safe, but it's unlikely snake would implicate himself if that's the case. If that happened, then only people outside the office could have killed him. But its also possible it was something else throwing off the statues weight in which case Nobody in the office is cleared. Rooster has his bathroom trip, tiger has the ability to go through the window while he's gone, snake and sheep were both alone in the room within the window.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Actually it was Monkey who killed him. And brought the statue. And fixed the trial.

It's MONKEYS all around babe

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

:tinfoil: What if Snake only thought he brought in a statue but was actually Monkey cleverly painted to resemble a statue! She could use the sound cue of Rooster making GBS threads himself violently to sneak around the office while no one was paying attention in a matter that I refuse to explain! Truly, a perfect crime.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

FoolyCharged posted:

You're assuming it was Brian that did the abductions

From Dog:
And then, one night, I'm closing up shop when I hear a noise behind me. I might've been off the force for a while, but my instincts weren't totally shot. I wasn't gonna let a kid completely ambush me.
So I turn around just in time to look Brian in the face, which caused him to hesitate from shooting that taser. I was unclear as to what exactly he intended to do, but I knew his expression well.
It was that of a man about to do something very reckless... and very stupid.
I tried to strike up some of the rapport we had previously had, but he was... different. At one point, he mentioned how 'me and my friend Olly would pay for strangling the justice system'. So... he clearly knew more than he did when we had previously met.
I was unclear how much more, but he knew more. Still, I tried to get a straight answer out of him, and he continued to act weird. He talked about how it was 'his right' after everything that had happened. He was saying it more to himself than me.
And it was at this point I knew that something wasn't right. This kid was in over his head. On a hunch, I asked him if somebody had given him the idea for this, whatever 'this' was. If someone was helping him.
In response, he shot me with the taser. ...But before passing out, I got a look at his face, and I knew the answer.

We know that Dog was abducted by Brian. We don't know about anyone else, but it can be assumed that he was involved with more than just Dog.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Yeah, we know Brian abducted Dog.

And after the Aces route Red??? and Green??? have a conversation with the lines.

quote:

Red???:Things should already be in the process of being put into action at this point, correct? There's not much left. For now, I'll handle capturing the mouse, and you get the rest. Think you can handle that?

The most obvious reading of that is that Red??? captured Mouse but Green???/Brian captured everyone else.

Also this is what Tiger says about her eyesight:

quote:

Through development, the rods and cones in my retinas weren't properly, er, calibrated, to skip a bunch of science talk. The end result is that I distinguish between light and darkness, but I can't see detail. Think of it as an extreme version of colorblindness.

I can see the geometry of everything in the world, but... it's all pretty much textureless. These results have been seen in mice and cats when they were experimented on, but as far as I know I'm the only human to ever have this condition.

She can see geometry, but not textures. She also seems to have decent eyesight at moderate distance (she was pretty good at darts despite never playing before.) So I think it's just a way to explain why Tiger can't read, rather than opening the door on her misidentifying people.

And this is what the game says at the end of the route where all 12 racers live:

quote:

JE:The finish line has been crossed. The winners are Mouse, Ox, Tiger, Bunny, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Sheep, Monkey, Rooster, Dog, and Pig. Congratulations! Anyone who has not won has lost. Prepare for execution.

Those ending lines hardly seemed apt. After all, we had all made it through just fine. I heard the click of my necklace coming undone.

So my theory is that Brian was a secret 13th participant, who died at the end of the game after failing his victory condition. So he's dead before Mouse comes to confront him, but he'd be alive during the game itself. Doesn't explain why he didn't have much of a reaction to Dog testing him but it explain most other things.

As for the murder of Amadeus Bowen it sounds like Rooster had to be involved.
Time Line

1.Horse leaves
2.Sheep arrives
3.Tiger arrives
4.Snake arrives
5.Rooster arrives
6.Rooster goes to the bathroom.
7.Sheep goes downstairs for breakfast
8.Death window starts
9.Rooster exits the bathroom
10.Sheep returns
11. Aaron Morris arrives and enters Amadeus Bowen's office
12. Laptop fires Aaron
13. Aaron leaves
14. Snake moves the statue into Amadeus Bowen's office.
15. Death window ends.
16. Rooster enters Amadeus Bowen's office.
17. Police called
18. Bunny arrives
19. Amadeus found dead in his safe

T16 Rooster enters the office, is the best opportunity to retrieve the laptop that fired Aaron to get rid of the evidence.
Between T7andT9 Rooster also has the opportunity to exit the bathroom and move around undetected so long as he doesn't cross the view from the waiting rooms. So if the windows were only on the upper part of the door then Rooster could sneak below the window of the left waiting room to avoid being seen by Snake and enter the storage closet Not sure what that accomplishes but it's something he could've done.
And he's the one with the strongest motive to kill Amadeus Bowen anyway.

Also Rooster is probably the one that just killed Dog. The music blaring thing is his M.O., and the game mentions a "gloved hand" with a shotgun. and Rooster is the only member of the cast that wears gloves. (Obv other people can put gloves on, but he's the one wearing them all the time.)

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Elite posted:

So my theory is that Brian was a secret 13th participant, who died at the end of the game after failing his victory condition. So he's dead before Mouse comes to confront him, but he'd be alive during the game itself. Doesn't explain why he didn't have much of a reaction to Dog testing him but it explain most other things.

Would make sense, the Cat is still important to the Zodiac story despite not being one of them.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

content warning: emetophobia

[BGM: Rat's Awakening]

I began to hyperventilate. It felt like a compressor in my stomach was squeezing me to death. I physically felt ill, like vomiting. ...Actually? Yeah, no, I was about to vomit. I've heard some people describe vomiting as 'cathartic'. Those people should be locked in a prison on an island forever. It's a horrid feeling, your insides falling out of you. And when it was done, I didn't feel better, but much, much worse. My head felt so heavy, I almost fell right onto the puddle of vomit.

Why? What did I do to deserve all of this? Why can't I just get my life back? I never did anything wrong! I was a good kid! I had a life! I had friends, dreams, enemies, struggles, fears, deadlines! My life felt like a slog at times, but at least it was my life! Never before had I so desperately wanted something. I just wanted to return to normal. I didn't want to do... to do this.

But. How productive is this?

Like a switch had been flipped, my body stopped shivering. That's right, me. That's a talent of yours. You can flip that 'fear' switch off. Freaking out accomplished nothing. I could only move forwards with a steady hand. Breathe in. Breathe out.

...Okay. I thought about what had happened.

[BGM: Hear No Evil]

When I didn't freak out over remembering the death of Dog, I knew my technique had worked. Still, I felt bad about it. Dog... he was a weird dude. He had kidnapped me without my consent for seemingly half-decent reasons, but there was definitely more to it than that. He had known about a lot of dirty secrets for a long time. He claimed not to care much for life, but... the look of fear that crossed his face that day? No one deserved that. In the end, he was someone who had been murdered. He would be missed.... but thinking any more about his death would be a waste.

So, what was strapped to my stomach? I lifted up my shirt and took a look. It was... some sort of metal device. If we were to go by precedent, it was probably a device that could kill me. Awesome. Was it even worth trying to get it off me when I already knew the outcome of such an attempt? Probably not. I decided to go check out the computer. Last time it was a tablet. Now a computer? I tried interacting with it, but it was powered down. Great. Well... there was but so much that could be done inside this classroom. At some point, I'd need to move forwards.

Exiting the classroom, I found myself in a hallway. It was at this point that I was certain that this school was a separate one from the place I had previously been imprisoned on. I was clearly on the first floor of the building... It was hard to tell from my current location, but it seemed like this school was a lot smaller than the one I had been at before. Looking on the floor, I noticed a trail of taped arrows leading me, well... somewhere.

I guess that's where I was supposed to go. However, before I could move anywhere, I noticed a familiar face walk out of a nearby classroom.

Ox!

Mouse!

Relieved to see someone I knew, I rushed over and hugged him. He responded a little awkwardly, but ultimately responded by embracing me in kind.

I'm so glad to finally see somebody else!

And I'm glad to know you're not dead. ...Although, I must say, I have a number of questions.

Uh, yeah, that makes two of us. It seems we keep finding ourselves in thoroughly unreasonable situations, huh?

Indeed.

Say, why's this school empty? Is it not a school day?

Mouse, how could you be so foolish?

It's winter break.

...Really? I swear it hasn't been that long since the Zodiac Race.

It has.

Maybe winter break starts earlier nowadays. ...Anyways, probably more important things to talk about.

Indeed.

I gave Ox the short version of everything that had happened with me. As I explained it to him, he nodded, as if he had expected something like what I was saying. In turn, he gave a brief recap of everything that had occurred on the outside since I was kidnapped. He also talked about how all the past victims had been summoned to Dog's bar, how another mysterious voice spoke over the speakers, and how they were all ambushed.

So... basically, it looks like it's starting up again?

Ox took a deep sigh.

That would appear to be the case, yes.

To what end, I remain entirely uncertain. The supposed mastermind of the previous incident should be dead, and yet we are all here. A true mystery.

At this point, I think we don't really have any choice but to roll with the punches.

That's about where I'm at with things at this point. But hey, if we're doing a repeat, we should all be able to get out again, right?

...If we're doing a repeat.

Well, I admire that you're able to bounce back from being cast into hell so quickly.

Pouting's not gonna solve anything, right? My father used to say the only way out when you're in the middle of the forest is through.

I suppose you're correct. As absurd as it is, we've not much choice but to play the proverbial game once more. ...Very well then. I suppose these arrows are leading us to the “start line”?

It would stand to reason.

Resigned to our fate, we followed the arrows. They took us down a long, straight, winding hallway that passed by a number of classrooms. Eventually, we took a right turn, and then two left turns up a short staircase that brought us to a second floor. Moving a bit forwards from there, the arrows led into a library. And, in that library... were 9 familiar faces.

[BGM: Bullfighter]

Mouse! Ox!

Ah, there you two are. I was wondering when you'd join us.

S-so we really were all brought back...

Were you expecting something else?

God, this loving blows!

...Anyways, I guess it's nice to see that you haven't died yet, Mouse.

What about me?

You can go gently caress off and die any time you want, you classist prick.

Okay then.

This feels oddly familiar. ...I don't mean that as a good thing.

It's almost like all that work we did to not die the first time was for nothing!

Almost.

So, all of us were brought back.

Except for Dog. Which, uh, makes sense.

Actually, ugh...

Pig looked sick.

He... was brought here. Just not...

I didn't need to finish her sentence.

Christ, that's messed up.

What's the point of transporting a corpse like that?

To keep things truly thematic, I suppose.

I guess.

In the back of the room, Rooster was leaning against a wall, looking furious. Well, it was an understandable reaction, but compared to how he took things seemingly in stride last time...

Are you okay there, Rooster?

Okay?! Do I look okay to you?

gently caress! Things were finally going right again, and then this bullshit starts up again?! The hell is this?! Dying before was one thing, but now that my star was finally starting to rise?

Hey, hey, calm down. We got through things before, right? We can do it again!

Seriously Mouse? You told me to face reality last time, I think. Well, who's not facing reality now?

[BGM: Silence]

We got through things last time by a fluke. A random loophole we were lucky enough to catch early on. You really think things will go that smoothly this time?

That's...

Before I could say anything else, a voice played over the speakers.

???: Attention, bidders. Please, be silent. A very important announcement is about to begin. Anyone who disrupts said announcement shall be punished.

And just like that, a projector stacked on a bookshelf nearby turned on, and began to project a bizarre video on the whiteboard. Last time, we were greeted with a live feed of Brian in a mask and hoodie.

[BGM: Rat's Awakening]

This time, however, we were shown an image of what looked like a cat burning in hell, drawn in a very crude art style. Gothic horror wouldn't be the term to describe this style... ...Snake would be better suited to describe it than me.

Hello, dear friends! Glad to see you all back, together again. I'm sure you've missed each other. And I'm sure you missed the thrill of the race.

I know you previously met with the Jade Emperor. He put you all on trial, and you passed his gauntlet fine enough. So then, are you all free to rejoin the world? ...I think not. I think he was too kind on my fellow sinners.

And so, it falls on me, The Cat, to truly put you all to the test. I'm sure you're –

Suddenly, Monkey spoke out.

Okay, that's enough! I can't do this whole thing again! Whoever's behind this, stop hiding behind these masks! I'm sure with an earnest discussion, we could figure out ho–

AAAAAGH!!!

All of a sudden, Monkey winced in pain, clutching her stomach.

That, my friends, is what you call a warning. The next person to interrupt my explanation will be silenced in a much more permanent manner.

We all got the point.

Very well then. I understand that you all have been through a similar experience before... so no need to slow things down going through all the gritty details.

You all already know that the device strapped around your stomach can not be removed. You already know that it can be used to execute any of you at my will. You all already know that exiting the building before the game has finished will result in execution. Let's just get to the juicy bits, shall we?

That is to say, the rules of the game you will all be facing off in... The rules of the Zodiac Bid!

The screen changed to an image of a wheel, with the Zodiac Animals all wrapped around it.

First things first, I want to explain how scoring will work in this game. It's a little complicated, and it's absolutely critical to understanding how to play, so we'll start with this.

Throughout the game, you may be able to collect 'Animal Cards'. The thing about these cards, though, is that their point value is dependent on who has them. Let me explain through example...

Say the Mouse collects a Mouse card. To her, it will be worth three points. Say she also collects an Ox card and a Pig card. Since each of these animals is one space away from her on the wheel, these cards would be worth two points each.

Following this pattern, for her, the Tiger and the Dog card would be worth one point. The Bunny and the Monkey would be worth nothing. The Dragon and the Rooster would be worth negative one point. The Snake and the Sheep would be worth negative two points. And Horse, a full negative three points.

However, as I said, the points awarded to a card is based on distance on the Zodiac Wheel from that owner. So, if Ox or Pig got their hands on a Mouse card, it would be worth two points. If the Horse got their hands on a Mouse card, it would be worth negative three points.

Simple, is it not? If you understand these basic rules, then you already understand half the game.

This game will take place over the course of 12 rounds. There are a total of 48 cards – four cards of every animal.

The first two rounds, 9 cards will be dealt on a 'communal table'. The next three rounds, 6 cards will be dealt. The next four rounds, 3 cards will be dealt. The final three rounds will commence without any cards being dealt.

Every round will last for thirty minutes. At the end of the round, the cards present on the communal table will be displayed on everybody's computer. Then, for the next 33 seconds, everyone will be forced to take an action.

Failure to take an action in a round will result in an execution. Operating a computer that doesn't correspond to your animal will result in an execution.

There are a total of four actions you can take during a round.

You can attempt to TAKE any card currently on the communal table. If you're the only person to take that card, congratulations, it's transferred to your 'hand'. However, if multiple people attempt to take the same card, it will be ripped in the struggle, and nobody will receive the card.

If nobody attempts to take a card, the card will remain on the communal table until someone attempts to take it.

If you have cards in your hand, you can choose to SET a card on the communal table. If you do this, the card will appear on the communal table in future rounds until it is taken.

Alternatively, you could just directly GIVE a card to a fellow player. That will transfer the card directly from your hand to theirs.

Finally, if all this card transferring business is too much for you, you could always choose to CHECK another player. If you do this, you'll learn how many cards that person has in their hand.

That's also not the only way of getting info. At the end of even-numbered rounds, the current point total of every player will be projected in this room.

Anyways, the game continues until someone can amass a hand worth 9 points. At that time, the animal with the winning hand will be considered the “dominant animal”. Then, we'll check who has “dominant animal” cards in their hand.

Whoever has the most “dominant animal” cards in their hand will be proclaimed the winner! And, in the case of a tie, there can be multiple winners. The winner(s) will be able to leave this building peacefully.

On the other hand, all non-winners will be faced with execution. How exciting! ...So that's that, basically. The rules are pretty simple, don't you think?

Anyways, the first round will begin shortly. ...Oh, I suppose there are two more things I should mention.

Firstly – if all twelve rounds pass without somebody assembling a 9 point hand, I'll just have to declare the game null and void. In that case, I'll just execute everybody!

Secondly – it'd be mean if people got caught off guard by the 'action phase' of the round starting. To help with that, a warning will play throughout the school two minutes before the action phase begins.

Okay then, ready to have some fun? Show me a game that's a little less predictable, why don't ya?

And just like that, the projector shut down.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i'm going on a trip out of town this weekend so i'm posting the update today so i can have tomorrow to prepare/pack/etc :v:

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Mix. posted:

Suddenly, Monkey spoke out.

Okay, that's enough! I can't do this whole thing again! Whoever's behind this, stop hiding behind these masks! I'm sure with an earnest discussion, we could figure out ho–

AAAAAGH!!!

All of a sudden, Monkey winced in pain, clutching her stomach.

That, my friends, is what you call a warning. The next person to interrupt my explanation will be silenced in a much more permanent manner.

oh man, a scream arm slice in action?

Enjoy the trip, Mix!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Welp. There goes my assumption this was going straight into whodunit.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

It also seems less gamey. As far as I can tell, only a maximum of 4 players can actually survive? Anyway, that's assuming this is a proper second half of the game.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Marluxia posted:

It also seems less gamey. As far as I can tell, only a maximum of 4 players can actually survive? Anyway, that's assuming this is a proper second half of the game.

Rules as presented, if everyone just picks up 2 of their own cards and then waits for the table to have everyone's card available, everyone just picks up a third of their own, everyone has 9 points, everyone is a "dominant animal", everyone has the most cards of a dominant animal, everyone ties and survives (except for Dog who can't pick up cards since he's already dead, so he unfortunately is going to be executed a second time).

Of course we have traitors involved, so absolutely that won't work.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Is it just me or is this sequence feeling bad? :( I wanted the game to wrap up at this point. I don't want to see an extra game. I hope it gets derailed fast.

As for the bidding game rules, it's interesting that you can no longer operate other people's computers. Survival seems very hard. It's restricted to 4 at most if there's 1 dominant animal. It's not clear what happens if there are multiple dominant animals, but maybe that's how everyone can survive.

If you assume only 4 can survive, it's better to form a coalition of 4 that can shovel cards into the target animal. The scores of everyone else in the group don't matter much.

There are no animal masks this time, but the Cat could still have been a recording. Monkey's interjection could have been pre-planned to throw off suspicion over how automated this game is too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Marluxia posted:

No, if someone gets 9 points but all 4 of their cards are on the table, everyone ties with 0.