Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

akadajet posted:

My new lifting belt came in. It's nice

got it here
https://generalleathercraft.com/

Very nice. I never use belts but maybe because I got a bad impression of them in high school since we had a ton of ancient ones that didn’t fit, I felt like they didn’t do anything. Are they supposed to keep from arching your back wrong on squats, or in general?

Share Bear posted:

i feel getting that stomach/core burn is indicative of your form being good

I felt like my stomach started being the limiting factor for me when I switched from conventional squats to front squats (and going down in weight of course) a couple of months ago. I find them more comfortable to do and work my abs way harder, which makes it easier to get myself motivated for them. Leg stuff is boring but who doesn’t want to get shredded abs :madmax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

just use straps

:confused:

i am of the opinion that you should only start using that kind of equipment once you start having issues, which will come once you're really pressing up against your limits, and not directly when starting out where one should be focusing on form and making sure you dont overload yourself

this is an opinion and born out by nothing, i am pretty healthy and in shape, have been doing weighlifting as my main workout for about 10 years, but i am not ripped nor super big

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ADINSX posted:

Very nice. I never use belts but maybe because I got a bad impression of them in high school since we had a ton of ancient ones that didn’t fit, I felt like they didn’t do anything. Are they supposed to keep from arching your back wrong on squats, or in general?

no. they give your abdomen something to brace against during lifts. in my experience I can just lift a lot more wearing a tight belt and bracing myself against it.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ADINSX posted:

I felt like my stomach started being the limiting factor for me when I switched from conventional squats to front squats (and going down in weight of course) a couple of months ago. I find them more comfortable to do and work my abs way harder, which makes it easier to get myself motivated for them. Leg stuff is boring but who doesn’t want to get shredded abs :madmax:

men/women both like a nice butt

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

one of the best ways to build grip strength is to do high rep deadlifts

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Oh interesting I think I’ll get one then

Also re: the trap bar. I find them comfortable too but I’ve heard horror stories about over extending your hips at the top of the lift with them. With the bar, you can’t do that (the bar is in the way) but with the trap bar as you push your hips forward at the top of the lift nothing is there to stop you from thrusting forward and leaving however many hundreds of pounds hanging from your arched back

I think deadlifts are a really safe exercise until the weight starts getting up there, we’re so fragile and not designed to pick up hundreds of pounds

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Share Bear posted:

men/women both like a nice butt

I know I know but my inner bro must be appeased and he would skip leg day every day if he could

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Powerlifting and olympic lifting are pretty much the safest sports out there as measured by frequency of injuries. Severity is a different story, though.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

lets not talk about that in terms of not scaring people off, cause most people here arent gonna be doing that much

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Share Bear posted:

lets not talk about that in terms of not scaring people off, cause most people here arent gonna be doing that much

Oh yeah sorry I didn’t mean to give that impression, I’ve just learned that stuff that was previously safe at lower weights can get dangerous as weight increases (like mixed grip)

Lifting in general is very safe, get a trainer if you can and :justlift:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i've got the toxic masculinity bug where i'm sure i could join the rogue 1000lb club even though i haven't lifted for years.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

KidDynamite posted:

i've got the toxic masculinity bug where i'm sure i could join the rogue 1000lb club even though i haven't lifted for years.

One of the biggest unspoken benefits of lifting (and of exercise in general) is its ability to get you back to reality when your ego has been dipping a bit too hard into power-fantasies. It's a helpful psychological reset.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

also good analogous thing for attempting to learn or pick up anything new (its a long grind of repetition with breakthroughs here and there, keeping at it is the most important factor, its not a competition)

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

on the topic of mind blowing revelations, did you know the you could use dips to target your tris or lower chest depending on how you do the movement. i didn't

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ADINSX posted:

Oh interesting I think I’ll get one then

Also re: the trap bar. I find them comfortable too but I’ve heard horror stories about over extending your hips at the top of the lift with them. With the bar, you can’t do that (the bar is in the way) but with the trap bar as you push your hips forward at the top of the lift nothing is there to stop you from thrusting forward and leaving however many hundreds of pounds hanging from your arched back

I think deadlifts are a really safe exercise until the weight starts getting up there, we’re so fragile and not designed to pick up hundreds of pounds

mark rippetoe is good to listen to (if you ignore his shithead politics)
https://startingstrength.com/article/the_belt_and_the_deadlift
(or if you want to listen to him read it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hNVuYbatKg

the belt I got is 3-inches wide because my existing 4-inch belt left horrible bruises when deadlifting. I'm gonna be using both in different situations.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

akadajet posted:

mark rippetoe is good to listen to (if you ignore his shithead politics)
oh no, I should have guessed that mark rippetoe would end up being chuddy

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Dijkstracula posted:

oh no, I should have guessed that mark rippetoe would end up being chuddy

yeah, it's a bunch of libertarian+maga garbage. he keeps trump campaign merch in his gym. but he's an old lifting coach in the middle of nowhere texas

akadajet fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 3, 2023

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I squarted 275lbs today for 5
but poo poo was heavy to I went back to 265lbs for the rest of my workout

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

akadajet posted:

this thread is currently more active than all of ylls has been for years

yospos is a forum for bodybuilders

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

That's true. We're also millionaires with trophy wives that we love for their personalities

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

akadajet posted:

I squarted 275lbs today for 5
but poo poo was heavy to I went back to 265lbs for the rest of my workout

:nice:

im currently neglecting my lifts in the vain attempt to do another half marathon like a did 12? years ago, im fat and need to lose weight so seems like a good option

also mixed grip is fine sorry for the goon that tore something but i dont think thats normal. seconding the other goons suggestion to rotate every set your under hand

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ive been going for more walks recently and that is quite fun

would like to go hiking but i gotta do that on a day where everyone else is at work @_@

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

yospos is a forum for bodybuilders

I just don’t want to look like all the other out-of-shape 40-year-old men around here in 2 years

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

would like to go hiking but i gotta do that on a day where everyone else is at work @_@

walking for an hour every day is good. especially if you have a dog friend to take along with you

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

AnimeIsTrash posted:

coward. i only hike rattlesnake ridge on Fridays, lake 22 on Saturdays, and
Wallace Falls on sundays. Then I lift

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

walking is great, i live by a bread factory so i can walk by and get free bread smells sometimes.

unfortunately it’s harder to schedule an hour walk with my baby here so i haven’t gone in a while, just doing what i can downstairs while everyone’s asleep.

i want to start biking to the grocery, i think i can splice a decent route through just side streets and avoid sidewalks and big roads.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Just take your baby to famed sandwich restaurant Jimmy Johns to scratch all of your itches at once

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I know how you feel but if you are a morning person, starting as early as you can in the morning helps a lot on weekends.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

HamAdams posted:

i’m the socks and shoes on a man with no skin

rob liefields technical illustration side gig

the man is the anti tarantino

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

post hole digger posted:

I know how you feel but if you are a morning person, starting as early as you can in the morning helps a lot on weekends.

thats when i usually go, i got there are 9 and the parking lot was completely full

i guess people were excited to finally have a chance to go out

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

akadajet posted:

I just don’t want to look like all the other out-of-shape 40-year-old men around here in 2 years

this is my situation too; my goal is to be in as good a shape as I've ever been* by the time I hit the four-oh :tutbutt:

* not a terribly high bar

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

thats when i usually go, i got there are 9 and the parking lot was completely full

i guess people were excited to finally have a chance to go out

nothing like taking a day off work to go on a nice, long hike and get a good lunch afterwards tho

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

going to take a hike to the local glory hole

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

just weighed myself, i'm the yospos number.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i'm down a bit over 20lbs, which puts me at where i was when we moved to socal in november of 2021. i've been using wegovy for the past few months and it's been really helpful and has made the whole calorie-counting thing infinitely easier. it basically just makes me not as hungry, generally speaking. i get full faster, i don't get hungry at night at all, and it's really just made eating the right amount of food not _trivial_ but so, so, so much more pleasant than it has been in the past. i started counting calories in january of this year and the difference just in how much i have to think about what i'm doing - and how much willpower it takes to stay on track - is night and day.

my back hurts less, i breathe better at night, i look better, things are just going pretty well. i'm still not lifting weights or tossing kettlebells around or even going on walks like i should be, but man. things are just nice. i am very interested to see where i am in another few months. when i was rock climbing and lifting and all that stuff, i was 170. i think i could get there again, though i can't imagine that i'd be near as strong what with not really exercising or anything. but one step at a time. that's more than six months in the future at my current rate, though, so it's not really worth thinking about too much.

right now my milestones are basically every 15 pounds, 'cause that's where i tend to plateau for a couple weeks (followed by rapid loss that evens out to what i'm eating for). so i expect to be around this weight for a bit before i drop again, but even so it's gonna be pretty exciting the first time i see a number less than 200 on that scale for the first time in years.

anyway that's where i'm at these days

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Oh nice that’s the once a week injection right? I’ve heard good things

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Great work!

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

ADINSX posted:

Oh nice that’s the once a week injection right? I’ve heard good things

the GLP-1 drugs are basically magic

if they become cheap, generic, and oral someday they will probably become the most used pharamaceutical in the world

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

170lbs is where I’d like to be eventually. I’ve been 200lbs for a few years but I’ve been focusing on getting stronger instead of dieting. I’m kind of afraid of losing the little bit of strength I’ve built up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Yesterday I finally did 5 reps of standing overhead press at 135lbs, but only for one set. Still feels good to be able to press 1 plate.