Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Did the Mother Horse Eyes reddit guy ever put out a book? I accept that some of the mystique is lost when it's removed from the format of connected, wild flash fiction couched in the comments of r/Biking, but I liked his style and the world he built.

Who was that, even? I've been waiting on a Behind The Music on 9MOTHER9HORSE9EYES9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I thought this thread unequivocally worshiped Ligotti. I sent that collection to Antivehicular and a week later, this thread dumps on it, like all hell! Piling on. I feel bad. :lol:

I didn't like The Frolic because it didn't feel like a Ligotti story. It almost felt like a King story with Ligotti prose, from what I recall. The kind of story that scares a young father more than anyone else.

Teatro Grottesco is incredibly consistent and I loved it from start to finish. I actually never made it past The Frolic in the other one.

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 26, 2023

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
I do get scared when I read scary stories. That part in The Same Dog when the kids look back and see a naked yellow man is pretty chilling. One of my favorite scary stories. Also recently that seaside town story from A Collapse of Horses got me good.

Regarding the recent Ligotti talk, I really love him but I don't really find his stories all that scary. And yeah, his first two collections are kinda uneven, but that essay about writing horror using a pair of haunted pants gets absolutely crazy and it's totally worthy to get the book just for that

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

elpaganoescapa posted:

I do get scared when I read scary stories. That part in The Same Dog when the kids look back and see a naked yellow man is pretty chilling. One of my favorite scary stories. Also recently that seaside town story from A Collapse of Horses got me good.

Regarding the recent Ligotti talk, I really love him but I don't really find his stories all that scary. And yeah, his first two collections are kinda uneven, but that essay about writing horror using a pair of haunted pants gets absolutely crazy and it's totally worthy to get the book just for that

That's probably my favorite in that collection. Very fun.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

elpaganoescapa posted:

I really enjoyed that one too

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

Teattro Grotesco has that scene with the woman dipping hot dogs into mayo which literally makes me nauseous when I think about it

That scene stopped me dead when I attempted to read TG -- just visceral disgust, which sounds dumb as hell, but so it goes. I should try again and just... skim that bit.

Anyway, I posted about this a bit ago, but I also read the first few stories in SoaDD and wasn't all that impressed. "Frolic," honestly, reads kind of juvenilia-ish to me? Lots of sort of half-baked ideas that don't go anywhere, a tone that's too limp to be satirical without being realistic either, and extremely predictable action for the most part. The comparison to King is apt, but King is much better at creating instantly better-rounded and sympathetic characters, so the horror actually hits. By about halfway through "Frolic" I was just waiting for the punchline.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Can someone remind me the name of the story that's just about a guy living on a farm with his mom and wife and he snaps and just starts shooting people? There's no supernatural twist, just this rear end in a top hat going postal.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Middle America

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Wrapped The Croning. It was okay, like Barron's shorter work but with more padding. In some cases literally so, tying his short stories into a broader mythos and metaplot. The nadir was the part where the evil villains explain their evil plan to the protagonist, and then a chapter later a different villain does the same thing. It's cheesy as gently caress and it robs the story of its mystery and power.

As always, even at his worst Barron can still pump out some very evocative descriptive text. My favorite part is the spooky museum at the rich guy's mansion.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Just finished Smear and... What exactly happened there? I've clearly missed something.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

elpaganoescapa posted:

The Same Dog is so horrifying because it's so elliptical about its horror. It's chilling!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Tyll by Daniel Kehlmann

Owlkill posted:

Seconding the Tyll recommendation - Nobber by Oisin Fagan is also good if weird, hallucinatory historical fiction is up your street
I'd like to thank you two for this rec - just finished it and while the only real horror in it is humans, it's a great read with some fantastic ideas. I especially liked the chapter about the last dragon in Germany.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Oxxidation posted:

hate it when i hear harsh laughter, the laughter of the devil

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Oxxidation posted:

hate it when i hear harsh laughter, the laughter of the devil

“Lol, lmao”

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
New BR Yeager collection just dropped — Burn You the gently caress Alive

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
Finished The Spite House on thread recommendation, enjoyed it quite a bit, and it’s definitely one of the better endings to a haunted house story I’ve read. I’ll have to check out some of his other work

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
on getting scared reading horror, not really, but it took me a hell of a long time to finish Tell Me I'm Worthless between deciding to take a break after a few pages and deciding that now's not the time to reopen my books app. stress, not fear.

this was before they went back, though. once they did I finished it off over lunch. great book, preordered her next.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Tor just announced a new Nathan Ballingrud novella:

https://www.tor.com/2023/04/06/book-announcement-crypt-of-the-moon-spider-by-nathan-ballingrud/

quote:

Years ago, in a cave beneath the dense forests and streams on the surface of the moon, a gargantuan spider once lived. Its silk granted its first worshippers immense faculties of power and awe.

It’s now 1923 and Veronica Brinkley is touching down on the moon for her intake at the Barrowfield Home for Treatment of the Melancholy. A renowned facility, Dr. Barrington Cull’s invasive and highly successful treatments have been lauded by many. And they’re so simple! All it takes is a little spider silk in the amygdala, maybe a strand or two in the pre-frontal cortex, and perhaps an inch in the hippocampus for near evisceration of those troublesome thoughts and ideas.

But trouble lurks in many a mind at this facility and although the spider’s been dead for years, its denizens are not. Someone or something is up to no good, and Veronica just might be the cause.

Looks like he's all in on early 20th century space travel alt-history weird fiction now.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

New BR Yeager collection just dropped — Burn You the gently caress Alive

Sweet, excited to check this out. Negative Space was so loving good.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

a foolish pianist posted:

Tor just announced a new Nathan Ballingrud novella:

https://www.tor.com/2023/04/06/book-announcement-crypt-of-the-moon-spider-by-nathan-ballingrud/

Looks like he's all in on early 20th century space travel alt-history weird fiction now.

I'm kind of disappointed to hear that honestly, I haven't read The Strange but the marketing synopsis didn't make me all that excited to read it. This one sounds a little more interesting but still not really what I'd hope for from him in particular.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I read some books!

Between two fires - I hadn't read this book yet. Why hadn't I read this book yet? It is good for all the reasons that have been said already and you should read it if you were like me and hadn't yet.

John Dies at the end - I also hadn't read this book for some reason. Probably because I thought it would grate on me and it did exactly that after a while. DNF but got about 70% through before deciding I got the point and had my fun with it.

How to sell a haunted house - It's a haunted house book by the haunted Ikea book guy. Overall just a pretty decent book that really beat on its themes of explaining death to children and lies within the family. If you like/hate creepy puppets then this book is probably for you. I thought the flashback to the brother at college was especially good.

V-Wars - Vampire virus super-long book series that I got through one book of and bailed on. Premise and some sections were good, but drat they spend way too much time jumping to other perspectives instead of advancing the overall plot. I guess it got adapted to a comic book if you want it summarized.

2389 - It's a zombie virus in (not)Disneyland on the moon! Also it sucks. Also it is NOT the year 2389 in the book so I don't know what the gently caress the title is on about. It explicitly references the century the book takes place in several times throughout the book and, spoiler alert, that century does not include the year 2389. I read it because I thought I remembered liking a book by this author but that was Wrath James White and NOT Iain Rob Wright. Oh well,. you win some you lose some. At least it was short.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm kind of disappointed to hear that honestly, I haven't read The Strange but the marketing synopsis didn't make me all that excited to read it. This one sounds a little more interesting but still not really what I'd hope for from him in particular.

This is extremely disappointing but I guess he has to move on from the crazy high expectations set by NALM and Butcher's Table. He got enough name recognition with those so that he could experiment a bit more with his next releases, so I am happy for him in that regard. I DNF'ed the Strange and felt bad about it, but now I feel like maybe I made the right decision.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

I read some books!

John Dies at the end - I also hadn't read this book for some reason. Probably because I thought it would grate on me and it did exactly that after a while. DNF but got about 70% through before deciding I got the point and had my fun with it.

The best stuff in this book is towards the end. You might want to try again later.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Stopping by to say Bonding by Maggie Siebert was a blast

Currently reading Monarch by Candice Wuehle (also excellent halfway through)

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 9, 2023

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Read Tell Me I’m Worthless based on the recs in this thread.

Wow, that was a rough read. But I liked it. Not sure I understood everything that happened in it. But I liked it.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
I really enjoyed The Strange, but it's definitely not a horror story, and it's extremely different from Ballingrud's other work.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Blastedhellscape posted:

I really enjoyed The Strange, but it's definitely not a horror story, and it's extremely different from Ballingrud's other work.

I enjoyed it for the most part, but the ending felt rushed to me. The leap in time for the summary conclusion just rubbed me the wrong way, but I'd give more of the alt history space adventure stuff another go.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
New Michael Wehunt collection out in like three weeks, I'm really looking forward to it

TheRealGunde
Aug 13, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

Between two fires - I hadn't read this book yet. Why hadn't I read this book yet? It is good for all the reasons that have been said already and you should read it if you were like me and hadn't yet.
I read it too. It was ... just decent. It felt like it was holding itself back from being what it really should have been. That sounds weird, but that's how I felt when it ended.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
Burn You the gently caress Alive is loving amazing. I'd been getting pretty dissatisfied reading some recent avant-garde horror collections, but this one really scratches the itch.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Are there's any vampire books out there that still have the regal aloof distinguished feeling of Dracula but with more blood and guts and zombies and stuff like that?

For a very specific reference I'm looking for something like the vampires from the Warhammer Fantasy universe and nothing really scratches that same itch.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Count Thrashula posted:

Are there's any vampire books out there that still have the regal aloof distinguished feeling of Dracula but with more blood and guts and zombies and stuff like that?

For a very specific reference I'm looking for something like the vampires from the Warhammer Fantasy universe and nothing really scratches that same itch.

I don't think it's at all what you're looking for but Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (he of the writhing post 9/11 brain worms) is SOME kinda fuckin vampire story. It's gross in many dimensions and probably racist but it's certainly a hell of a take on 20th Century Vampires. They're running the government and Hollywood, or they're preachers or ex-Nazis, and they're all competing to be invited to an annual rich people get together on what's basically Epstein's Island, except it's about mind controlling human puppets to hunt down hapless victims, or playing chess games with living people where you eat the pieces that get taken. And a Holocaust survivor and a victim's daughter have to fight them.

So, bad rec for what you're looking for, but maybe a rec for "unusual vampire books"??

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Count Thrashula posted:

The President’s Vampire series

E; to be clear, it’s ridiculous, but the titular character is regal and aloof af and he fights zombies in book 1. In book 2…

It isn’t tongue in cheek at all and its competently written airport-tier fiction. I wouldn’t represent it as literary but neither would I WH

There’s also the Empire of the Vampire series which takes place in like an alt history ancien regime steampunk France in which vampires are a oligarchy of nobles over humanity. It’s allegedly a nyt best seller but I didn’t get very far into it because of his tortured pseudogothic prose and too cute worldbuilding. I mean it’s titled Empire of the Vampire, it’s that kind of book. But if you like Carsteins, well they got em

zoux fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 18, 2023

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

The Strain?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Count Thrashula posted:

On the one hand, Necroscope. On the other, Fevre Dream by GRRM. If you alternate chapters you should get exactly what you want!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ravenkult posted:

The Strain?

good answer, The Master is so hilariously arch

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Got some good stuff here folks, thank you.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Blastedhellscape posted:

Burn You the gently caress Alive is loving amazing. I'd been getting pretty dissatisfied reading some recent avant-garde horror collections, but this one really scratches the itch.

Yeah I'm halfway through it now and really enjoying it

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

General Battuta posted:

I don't think it's at all what you're looking for but Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (he of the writhing post 9/11 brain worms) is SOME kinda fuckin vampire story. It's gross in many dimensions and probably racist but it's certainly a hell of a take on 20th Century Vampires. They're running the government and Hollywood, or they're preachers or ex-Nazis, and they're all competing to be invited to an annual rich people get together on what's basically Epstein's Island, except it's about mind controlling human puppets to hunt down hapless victims, or playing chess games with living people where you eat the pieces that get taken. And a Holocaust survivor and a victim's daughter have to fight them.

So, bad rec for what you're looking for, but maybe a rec for "unusual vampire books"??

It's also about twice as long as it needs to be: his editor wanted to massively slash it down but he successfully fought her off, which was unfortunate. I tried reading it recently but gave up after ploughing through hundreds of faintly repetitive pages only to realise that I was still only 40% through the book. Get on with it, Simmons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

General Battuta posted:

Dan Simmons (he of the writhing post 9/11 brain worms)

I wondered about this remark and googled Dan Simmons jerk and got exactly the context I needed from Jeff VanderMeer: https://twitter.com/jeffvandermeer/status/1176950521468506113?t=KUPJ_QMFhC8TgTxivIQ7iA&s=19