Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Very excited for the day I can type "search engines" here because 99.99% of the searchable content on the web will be SEO chatGPT nonsense. Gonna be searching TikTok like all the kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

funny tech poo poo u just remembered: there's no such thing as a permanent archival format, the only way to preserve information "permanently" is by constantly copying it to whatever the latest format is, forever, and since the total amount of information increases over time, this is an asymptotic curve of effort in which actual success at the stated goal of preserving everything, or even just everything "worthy", would mean a horrific dystopian future in which all of human effort by every living person is expended in the menial task of swapping reels on the reel to disk transferal machine (by which of course I mean its futuristic counterpart, I dunno, telling AIs to copy the internet archives onto the data crystals). Humanity enslaved by the duty to preserve its own past, unable to create anything new because of the burden of all that was made before, each passing century adding an ever greater volume of babble and Very Important Debates about events current and past and saying "lol".

Or perhaps a brave clean future in which archeologists muck around in the tattered scraps of what was lost, filling in the 99% of what's missing with imaginative narratives that more or less fit the evidence, while the rest of us nod interestedly while watching the holovids specials about the ancient peoples of pre-collapse north america and then move on to whatever new thing is of proper interest to their time and place, like playing holo-tennis or inventing better nuclear fallout cleaning robots or invading proxima centauri before they invade us. How dissatisfactory to our own present-day venalities, to think that all of this time and effort we've spent on our clever jpegs and ironic-but-not-ironic-but-actually-even-more-ironic jokes about holocaust denial will have been, in the end, lost like tears in rain, time to die? Some clever digger may yet pore over the last fragmentary remains of YOSPOS and confidently declare: "these were a subspecies of humanity, genetically similar but clearly differentiated by their mutation for monochromia, unable to see other than amber or green. Curious!"

Let me tell you, there is that aforementioned middle ground: we can take only that which we hold most dear and carve it into the rocks themselves in giant laser-etched forms, universally understandable memetic glyphs, that future generations cannot help but notice and understand, like so many pyramids of giza or statues of Ozymandias; or if you like, print out your tweets onto archival paper and store them in the deepest vaults. Curation! Select only the gems, the diamonds in the rough, encase them in amber and set them aside, and future generations may queue up and pay a modest entry fee to peer at them and clutch their chins and nod and hmm before boisterously clambering back aboard their hyberbus to return to their space school, orbiting above the clouds.

But to do this first you must make choices, what to preserve and what not to, and such has been the volume of our effluent digital converse in these recent decades that you might well spend all your days sifting through just your own shitposts in their tens of thousands, and thus as a microcosm of that dark dystopian future - become personally a shadow cast by the spectre of your own wasted potential, a basement-dwelling goon whose creative juices have dried up, left with just a crusty old sponge myopically dabbing at the messy spill of your youthful energy, dribs and drabs that stain the archived threads of a dead gay forum, sopping up a drop here or a drop there, to place into the folder marked "DO NOT DELETE" in the vain hope that your grand-nieces and step-nephews will bother to gingerly poke through your ancient dusty computer poo poo before they toss it in the bin as they prepare for the estate sale of your post-mortem remains.

What was I saying? Oh, right: lmao, I just remembered this poo poo, it's hilarious

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 10, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
:amen:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Leperflesh posted:

funny tech poo poo u just remembered: there's no such thing as a permanent archival format, the only way to preserve information "permanently" is by constantly copying it to whatever the latest format is, forever, and since the total amount of information increases over time, this is an asymptotic curve of effort in which actual success at the stated goal of preserving everything, or even just everything "worthy", would mean a horrific dystopian future in which all of human effort by every living person is expended in the menial task of swapping reels on the reel to disk transferal machine (by which of course I mean its futuristic counterpart, I dunno, telling AIs to copy the internet archives onto the data crystals). Humanity enslaved by the duty to preserve its own past, unable to create anything new because of the burden of all that was made before, each passing century adding an ever greater volume of babble and Very Important Debates about events current and past and saying "lol".

Or perhaps a brave clean future in which archeologists muck around in the tattered scraps of what was lost, filling in the 99% of what's missing with imaginative narratives that more or less fit the evidence, while the rest of us nod interestedly while watching the holovids specials about the ancient peoples of pre-collapse north america and then move on to whatever new thing is of proper interest to their time and place, like playing holo-tennis or inventing better nuclear fallout cleaning robots or invading proxima centauri before they invade us. How dissatisfactory to our own present-day venalities, to think that all of this time and effort we've spent on our clever jpegs and ironic-but-not-ironic-but-actually-even-more-ironic jokes about holocaust denial will have been, in the end, lost like tears in rain, time to die? Some clever digger may yet pore over the last fragmentary remains of YOSPOS and confidently declare: "these were a subspecies of humanity, genetically similar but clearly differentiated by their mutation for monochromia, unable to see other than amber or green. Curious!"

Let me tell you, there is that aforementioned middle ground: we can take only that which we hold most dear and carve it into the rocks themselves in giant laser-etched forms, universally understandable memetic glyphs, that future generations cannot help but notice and understand, like so many pyramids of giza or statues of Ozymandias; or if you like, print out your tweets onto archival paper and store them in the deepest vaults. Curation! Select only the gems, the diamonds in the rough, encase them in amber and set them aside, and future generations may queue up and pay a modest entry fee to peer at them and clutch their chins and nod and hmm before boisterously clambering back aboard their hyberbus to return to their space school, orbiting above the clouds.

But to do this first you must make choices, what to preserve and what not to, and such has been the volume of our effluent digital converse in these recent decades that you might well spend all your days sifting through just your own shitposts in their tens of thousands, and thus as a microcosm of that dark dystopian future - become personally a shadow cast by the spectre of your own wasted potential, a basement-dwelling goon whose creative juices have dried up, left with just a crusty old sponge myopically dabbing at the messy spill of your youthful energy, dribs and drabs that stain the archived threads of a dead gay forum, sopping up a drop here or a drop there, to place into the folder marked "DO NOT DELETE" in the vain hope that your grand-nieces and step-nephews will bother to gingerly poke through your ancient dusty computer poo poo before they toss it in the bin as they prepare for the estate sale of your post-mortem remains.

What was I saying? Oh, right: lmao, I just remembered this poo poo, it's hilarious

tarchives have been around since the 70s though. zip files since the early 80s

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

i don't have time to read or respond to replies to that epic post of mine, I'm too busy scribing it into a slab of granite that I'm gonna secure in a cave for future generations to marvel at

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i still have files from the first mac se we got in 1989, painstakingly copied from computer to computer

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i delete poo poo all the time, it owns

yagni, muthafuckas

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
sometimes you do ni tho

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Weren't people up in arms recently because there was finally a tech gap so they couldn't keep transferring the pokemon they'd been using since their OG red and blue carts in whatever the latest game was

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

funy tech poo poo I remembered: buying a friend's lovely busted gba off him for like 10 bucks purely to transfer my save data from golden sun 1 to the lost age

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Kitfox88 posted:

Weren't people up in arms recently because there was finally a tech gap so they couldn't keep transferring the pokemon they'd been using since their OG red and blue carts in whatever the latest game was

the current thing was transferring off of the ds requires an app that you can't get legally anymore now that the store is closed
physical red/blue and gold/silver carts are stuck with each other, you can only transfer off of the virtual console versions to the new games

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah like I still have all my files
never had a castrophic unrecoverable drive loss so my first stuff is IBM Writing Assistant files from the mid 1980s homework assignments I did as a child and I still have them
it's actually far easier to just copy everything than it is to weed it out, but this also makes it just so much trash for whoever inherits my stuff when I'm dead, nobody's going to go spelunking for possible treasure, especially since we never had kids.

And in the end, entropy will grind all that we ever were into so much frozen dust.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
they're going to delete it all, hth

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah that's what I'm saying

it's cool that SA has been scraped and stored by the library of congress, though, I'm sure their archives will survive longer than my sixth grade homework files, albeit on a geologic scale... not by much.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
way back early 2000s I made tons of animations and renders in 3ds max (version 3? lol) and I wish I still had them

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
to be completely clear there is information that is worth saving and i'm glad people are saving it

i've also lost personal data that i valued but that wasn't by choice. by choice i delete all kinds of data and it makes it easier for me to find and appreciate the data i do value.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cold on a Cob posted:

i delete poo poo all the time, it owns

yagni, muthafuckas

need? no but it's fun to go back and look at old stuff sometimes

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i've started over with 0 files at least three times in my life. it's exhilarating

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

couldn't bear to lose my painstakingly discovered niche jav from 3 decades ago

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

too long; didn't preserve

Even your lovely posts aren't original.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean if I'm replicating a PBF strip that's actually cool and good, but also that's hardly the first instance of the idea either

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

To go with the Degausser Emulator folks were wishing for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZKttBr2Y8g

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tfw heavily gaussed

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
there was a call in show on the radio station in my kneck off the woods that had a “computer expert” on in the late 90s

12 year old me called in and asked if I could use a Zip disk could be used as a hard drive replacement to install video games onto. I remember really hounding him for an answer on live radio and there was no way if he could tell me if that would work well

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

source you are quotes

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

WilWheaton posted:

there was a call in show on the radio station in my kneck off the woods that had a “computer expert” on in the late 90s

12 year old me called in and asked if I could use a Zip disk could be used as a hard drive replacement to install video games onto. I remember really hounding him for an answer on live radio and there was no way if he could tell me if that would work well

if you had an external zip drive connected via paralell then the answer is a nope because that poo poo was slow as gently caress

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
if you had a Mac and a SCSI Zip drive though it would work just fine

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i only had a paralell drive back in the day :(

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

remember loving laplink

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

nudgenudgetilt posted:

remember loving laplink

i will not

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KBPBYSH

is this thing just a usb-c cable?

"Can also be used for any recreational purposes like displays, external HDs, etc."

ok, so i can use it recreationally, but what about professionally or medically

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Ara

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Leperflesh posted:

whoa a Tom Collins post in tyool 2023 :stare:

also, posting on the :yosbutt: page

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

nudgenudgetilt posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KBPBYSH

is this thing just a usb-c cable?

"Can also be used for any recreational purposes like displays, external HDs, etc."

ok, so i can use it recreationally, but what about professionally or medically

what about medicinally? :ninja:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

eschaton posted:

if you had a Mac and a SCSI Zip drive though it would work just fine

they also made IDE versions that were pretty quick if I recall.

even the later power macs used the IDE ones instead of SCSI

I guess I don’t talk about SCSI enough because my phone thinks I’m talking about açaí

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

my uncle had the external zip drive and it's how i got into emulation because he had discs just loaded up with mega drive games

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

hell yeah
fond memories of sneaking out of bed to play Pokemon blue at half speed on the family 486

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I was actually disappointed, I really liked the idea of this, even though I know what a hideous poo poo show it would have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
when i was in college our bio research labs all still had zip drives attached even though they’d already stopped being used lol. i think that’s the only time i ever saw them in the wilds